Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

skasion posted:

Not one person in Dune is good. Even the babies are monstrously evil. You cannot disprove this

Bijaz did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The GOAT worm design

https://twitter.com/SniperRathe/status/1452239162334236677?s=20

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Mapes is a loving psychopath. She was literally ready to knife to death a woman she had just met and accepted employment from in the entirely likely case that she didn’t conform to the strictures of a concocted messianic prophecy

That's just bog standard religion, though

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

All the people who made the exact same "lol there'll never be a part 2" posts over and over need to get wedgied up to their eyeballs.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

skasion posted:

Mapes is a loving psychopath. She was literally ready to knife to death a woman she had just met and accepted employment from in the entirely likely case that she didn’t conform to the strictures of a concocted messianic prophecy

just lol if this isn't how you approach every job interview

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lmao that you thought this was a response to anything

maybe if he'd worried less about having Mohaim look like a chess piece and more about Chalamet looking like he's barely tolerating grandma sticking his hand in a bowl of peeled grapes and telling him they're eyeballs it could have been a good movie

lol okay get hosed then we're getting a second film and I no longer give a poo poo if you enjoy it. Hope you don't. May your knife chip and shatter.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It wasn't great, but it's better than Foundation, which is bad

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There was a Foundation movie?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

skasion posted:

Not one person in Dune is good. Even the babies are monstrously evil. You cannot disprove this

This is an opportunity for Employer and Employee to interview each other to determine cultural fit.

Religious fanatics are Grade A hires, those laundry and linens are holy vestments and those floors are going to be extra clean.

Chud-hulud.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

There was a Foundation movie?

Apple has a series going.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Run by David S. Goyer

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
A few pages back, someone mentioned that studios get a 50% cut of what’s getting made.

I took a media course in University back in 2003. One thing I remember from discussing movie production is that the split is more like:
Box Office - 10-15%
Producers - 5%-15% (Yeah, FIVE percent in some cases.)
Publishers - the remainder, so usually around 75%.

(That big example we used for a publisher was Alliance-Atlantis, because I was at a Canadian university.)

Reasons given for publishers taking such a huge chunk was marketing, film copy production, providing it into theatres, etc. which mostly translates into a bunch of people taking control of where and when the film can be seen, then extracting the maximum value from the box offices, leaving them a relative pittance, then turning around and “paying” the film producers back with the bare minimum based on what the movie was said to make, according to the accounting department.

This has led to film studios becoming their own publishers, and streaming services have also messed up this mix. I have no idea if the split is still relevant, but it’s always been something in the back of my mind whenever I see box office reports.

I don’t know what the Dune producers’ cut is going to be, but if some of them are the same people who published it, they’ll probably do good from that standpoint.

If anyone has more up-to-date splits, please correct me. I’d love to know if it’s changed.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeuh is barely in the movie before he sets the attack in motion.

you mean just like the pace of the book?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

skasion posted:

The redhead they gave to Shaddam seemed nice.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The spider-mutant was innocent

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Apple has a series going.

It always seemed to me that Dune was inspired by Foundation, with its almost sociological focus on large-scale interactions across history.

Unlike Dune, the first book isn't that different from the subsequent ones, so turning it into a series seems somewhat fitting. But I'm guessing from these posts that it didn't work out

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

The Bloop posted:

The spider-mutant was innocent

It can only derive pleasure from eating live human babies.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

It's honestly jarring in the book that Herbert tried so hard to emphasize the Duke's apparent selflessness at that moment. Lynch went with it too and it sucks because the whole concept is worthless to the overarching story. And before you say this is a story about how good people can be bad leaders, having just watched The King I think it can be argued that the dad's style of rule doesn't really imply much about the kid's.

the point of Leto is to demonstrate why Paul is starting a galactic jihad. Like, that's a pretty extreme, crazy reaction, he lies to everyone and kills billions of people; he'd be a totally unsympathetic monster if he was just acting on some messianic delusions or personal revenge for his dickhead aristocrat father. The fall of the Atreides demonstrates why that is necessary and why no change can be made from within the existing system - Leto's whole deal is that he's the charismatic reformer who's the best chance to relatively peacefully unite the known universe, depose the emperor, and establish liberal(ish) values, and once he's too close he gets crushed effortlessly for threatening this absurdly brutal and stagnant system. He's not a particularly interesting guy in himself, mostly just a cipher representing the kinds of values Herbert assumes his readers share (maybe you personally sympathize more with Harkonnen industrial fashion-sadism idk, book can't be for everybody) and their violent annihilation in like the fuckin prologue of the story

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 25, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Patrat posted:

It can only derive pleasure from eating live human babies.

That is not per se a moral failing

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

experienceBeej posted:

A few pages back, someone mentioned that studios get a 50% cut of what’s getting made.

I took a media course in University back in 2003. One thing I remember from discussing movie production is that the split is more like:
Box Office - 10-15%
Producers - 5%-15% (Yeah, FIVE percent in some cases.)
Publishers - the remainder, so usually around 75%.

(That big example we used for a publisher was Alliance-Atlantis, because I was at a Canadian university.)

Reasons given for publishers taking such a huge chunk was marketing, film copy production, providing it into theatres, etc. which mostly translates into a bunch of people taking control of where and when the film can be seen, then extracting the maximum value from the box offices, leaving them a relative pittance, then turning around and “paying” the film producers back with the bare minimum based on what the movie was said to make, according to the accounting department.

This has led to film studios becoming their own publishers, and streaming services have also messed up this mix. I have no idea if the split is still relevant, but it’s always been something in the back of my mind whenever I see box office reports.

I don’t know what the Dune producers’ cut is going to be, but if some of them are the same people who published it, they’ll probably do good from that standpoint.

If anyone has more up-to-date splits, please correct me. I’d love to know if it’s changed.
Dune was produced by Legendary Pictures and published by Warner Bros (which in turn is part of Warner Media, and that's a whole separate can of worms).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don’t get why the fremen were all mad people wanted to rake up worm turds or w/e

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I don’t get why the fremen were all mad people wanted to rake up worm turds or w/e

The Harkonnens enslaved them or hunted them for sport and treated the people that lived in Arakeen like poo poo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah that’s pretty bad

(I was kiddin I have read the books :haw:)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

them turds is good eatin', you'd be mad too

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We don't know if it's worm poop or cum so I checked the prophecies

ℬ𝓁ℯ𝓈𝓈 𝓉𝒽ℯ ℳ𝒶𝓀ℯ𝓇 𝒶𝓃𝒹 ℋ𝒾𝓈 𝓌𝒶𝓉ℯ𝓇.
ℬ𝓁ℯ𝓈𝓈 𝓉𝒽ℯ 𝒸ℴ𝓂𝒾𝓃ℊ 𝒶𝓃𝒹 ℊℴ𝒾𝓃ℊ ℴ𝒻 ℋ𝒾𝓂.̲​

Coming AND going?

This doesn't actually help at all

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can't we assume that the turds will be filled with spice because the worms are eating that poo poo all of the time?

Do people get high off of it in the books is what I'm getting at here?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

punishedkissinger posted:

"Interviewee, you've replaced that stapler unblooded."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FFFFFFFFFFFFfFFFFfffffffffffffff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been years and years since I read the book, so I went back and read the first half because there were some things in the movie that I didn't remember from the book (Duncan surviving the initial attack and meeting up with Jessica and Paul later, the whole Jamis duel, etc.) and this adaptation is insanely faithful to the book . It may be as faithful an adaptation as I've ever seen. The movie also highlighted a couple of things for me that clarified the book, like how Paul's prescience isn't really that prescient and how fanatical about the Lisan al-Gaib religion the Fremen are. I mean, yeah they went on a galactic jihad so obviously they're pretty religious, but it always seemed like an afterthought in the book, as I read it. But I just didn't notice it. Like the Shadout Mapes howling in religious ecstasy is right out of the book. There's very little added, I think where failed adaptations fail is generally through addition rather than subtraction.

Book question, Herbert likes to hyphenate things like Ah-h-h-h and Hmm-m-m-m, is that anything or just a quirk of his

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

*Spits on the interviewers desk, spray getting everywhere*

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

zoux posted:

Book question, Herbert likes to hyphenate things like Ah-h-h-h and Hmm-m-m-m, is that anything or just a quirk of his

Two of the characters speak in code to each other that way

E: spoilered old book just in case

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

There's very little added, I think where failed adaptations fail is generally through addition rather than subtraction.

Thats an interesting point, and potentially why the pacing on the movie feels so off. What got cut out was cut out completely. What remained was embellished. So for all the gently caress-spiders and Sardaukar sacrifices mentats are not mentioned by name in the movie.

Its like Villenueve took the first book and broke it down into plot points, and then broke those points down into highlights, split it in half chronologically, and then filled in the blanks to create the rest of the movie.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Movie rules, gently caress the joyless haters

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Movie rules and I love it

AND part of enjoying good movies is talking about them with other people who like them including their flaws

Talking to people who don't like them gets old fast though. Go talk about something YOU like

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

Thats an interesting point, and potentially why the pacing on the movie feels so off. What got cut out was cut out completely. What remained was embellished. So for all the gently caress-spiders and Sardaukar sacrifices mentats are not mentioned by name in the movie.

Its like Villenueve took the first book and broke it down into plot points, and then broke those points down into highlights, split it in half chronologically, and then filled in the blanks to create the rest of the movie.

Mentat lore is interesting worldbuilding but it isn't critical to the story. The whole "biofeedback, yoga, and other weirdo self-help ideas about humankind perfecting itself that were real popular in the 60's and 70's when I was taking mushrooms and inventing Dune in my head" part of the books are definitely muted.

Also the spider thing was great. I'm agnostic on if it was Wanna or not, but it was a great way to show why Yueh would be willing to betray the Atriedes - because look what they do to people they have in their power. In the book, Herbert makes a huge deal about Suk conditioning, to the point that the Baron has to lie to the emperor about Yueh being a fake Suk Dok because that's more plausible than the breaking of his conditioning, but I never got what the lever was that was able to break that conditioning. What, taking his wife hostage and torturing her was enough for him to break through this legendary mental discipline? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to turn any old Suk doctor if you were really doing some kanly. Putting his wife in some kind of Cronenberg gimp horror existence would do it though.

The Bloop posted:

Movie rules and I love it

AND part of enjoying good movies is talking about them with other people who like them including their flaws

Talking to people who don't like them gets old fast though. Go talk about something YOU like

I like dune. Dune posts.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 25, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm fine with not saying "mentat" but there's only one instance where there's any mentating. And it's one of my favorite visual choices and we coulda used more of it.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Dunc is a movie that embraces the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here"

I'm going to be sad if Dunc 2 doesn't open with Jessica putting Paul down with that "How does it feel to be a murderer?" line

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems cruel of denis to not allow fallout fans to get a ref. It's all they have to live for, denis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Eeeey, I'm mentating heya!!!