Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

30 years is so long. It can get loving annoying having your rulers die a few years short so many times on the way. Especially when your heirs are getting long in the tooth and you know you’ll be waiting at least one more generation plus 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think you're all nuts for ever considering passing something on to anyone but a kid.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, the kid in question now inherited herpes from his dad, so that's something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
When I did it I also had my heirs go into the Whole of Body lifestyle just to increase the odds of them living longer.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The key to the North Sea Empire is to die before your kids come of age so you can re-inherit the kingdom titles through murder plots before your brothers can marry and reproduce. Then you only have to make it to your mid-40s to create the title.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What’s the story with updates and patches for ck3? I haven’t really been watching it too close but it seems like there is away less activity than ck2.

I know paradox is going for less #, but larger expansion type expansions but it seems like they haven’t said or shown much about the royal court deal

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Beans posted:

What’s the story with updates and patches for ck3? I haven’t really been watching it too close but it seems like there is away less activity than ck2.

I know paradox is going for less #, but larger expansion type expansions but it seems like they haven’t said or shown much about the royal court deal

Errrrrrr, you mean like the basically weekly dev diaries?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There have been less updates to CK3 than CK2 in the same time frame of 'just over a year after release', but A) there's kind of been a pandemic happening, and B) the four updates released in CK2 were a basic unlock that should have been in the base game, a flavor pack that basically had base game improvements shoved into it so you had to buy it even if you didn't care about the Byzantines, the horribly designed merchant republics, and loving Sunset Invasion.

And, yes, there have been weekly dev diaries about the royal court for the past five months.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
An interesting fact is that there have been 0 Paradox responses in the official Bug Reporting forum since August 20th. Before that, pretty much every thread would get a response either acknowledging the issue, or asking for more info, or identifying it as a duplicate, or whatever. But no activity whatsoever for over 2 months now, which makes me strongly suspect that they have pulled all QA resources onto testing Royal Court and are having some trouble getting bugs squashed. And with the fact they still don't have the confidence to announce any kind of release date, no way we see a release this year IMHO.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah if they thought they could get something out soon enough before the holiday to be around to patch and fix the fallout we almost certainly would have heard it by now.

It’s a long term game for me so no huge rush but man it’s hard to play the game I’m that’s out now thinking of all the things the royal court will ad.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The pace of DLC releases for all their titles seems a lot slower than it used to be.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SlothBear posted:

Yeah if they thought they could get something out soon enough before the holiday to be around to patch and fix the fallout we almost certainly would have heard it by now.

It’s a long term game for me so no huge rush but man it’s hard to play the game I’m that’s out now thinking of all the things the royal court will ad.

I've been trying to get back into the game, and kind of stopped when I learned it still wasn't out yet. I totally thought it would've been.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

SlothBear posted:

Yeah a 2022 release is definitely preferable to dropping it right before their Christmas holiday -- I remember Charlemagne in CK2 accidentally removing the ability for the AI to disband its levies so there weren't any wars in the entire world (apart from civil wars that sprung up when vassals got pissed about their levies being raised for decades on end). Game was basically unplayable for more than a month IIRC while their staff was on vacation

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New dev diary - An Update on Cultures

quote:

Previously, you could only add new traditions to a culture to fill out any empty tradition slots you may have. If you wanted to change anything regarding your culture, you would have to create a new one. Which begs the question. What if I want to keep the culture I already have? Or why can I not replace that one tradition to make my culture perfect? Fret not. The cultural head has gained the ability to change, or ‘reform’ if you will, their culture in order to change it without the need to create a new culture. The cultural head cannot replace everything mind you, but may change the ethos, the martial custom, and any tradition.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I like that it costs prestige. I always had a lot of that and not much to do with it after the early game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

No real surprise - 2022 release date news Soon. I’m cool with whatever if it’s good in the end so I’m glad they just decided on it rather than let the suspense drag on.

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1453006477946494986

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Boy this game really punishes you if you're a craven norseman huh? I've fought no less than 6 wars against claimant factions since inheriting the North Sea Empire and 3 independence wars, most of them overlapping. Through marrying off a shitload of marriage alliances and getting pretty lucky with most of the claimant faction wars becoming invalid after a few years, I've managed to stave all of them off except one independence war I didn't care that much about. However, all this war has me about 2k gold in debt with no end in sight thanks to the debt opinion malus (-40!!!). Really hope this guy dies soon.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Boy this game really punishes you if you're a craven norseman huh? I've fought no less than 6 wars against claimant factions since inheriting the North Sea Empire and 3 independence wars, most of them overlapping. Through marrying off a shitload of marriage alliances and getting pretty lucky with most of the claimant faction wars becoming invalid after a few years, I've managed to stave all of them off except one independence war I didn't care that much about. However, all this war has me about 2k gold in debt with no end in sight thanks to the debt opinion malus (-40!!!). Really hope this guy dies soon.

As a norse, you should get raiding to get some cash. Make sure your leader is in charge of your raiding army so you get the siege events, and go visit France/Spain/Italy. Also, as you noted, if he happens to get stabbed in the face while leading a raid, normal debt doesn't transfer on inheritance. It's the classic win-win, you either get all the gold you need, or you die and your heir is free of debt.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Anno posted:

No real surprise - 2022 release date news Soon. I’m cool with whatever if it’s good in the end so I’m glad they just decided on it rather than let the suspense drag on.

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1453006477946494986

2022? drat, I expected it by december

Im in a situation that I cant play anymore because Ill miss all the features of the upcoming expansion

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

2022? drat, I expected it by december

Im in a situation that I cant play anymore because Ill miss all the features of the upcoming expansion
I can't start a HoI4 run either.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah this is usually when I try out total conversion mods that’ll all be broken for a few months when the expansion comes. The Vampire one seems well regarded and just recently released a big update.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

binge crotching posted:

As a norse, you should get raiding to get some cash. Make sure your leader is in charge of your raiding army so you get the siege events, and go visit France/Spain/Italy. Also, as you noted, if he happens to get stabbed in the face while leading a raid, normal debt doesn't transfer on inheritance. It's the classic win-win, you either get all the gold you need, or you die and your heir is free of debt.

Can't raid when you're at war, sadly. The cycle keeps repeating with each heir except at some point England became independent on succession. This didn't bother me too much since it was inherited by a relative that I can call to war but now England is the target of a crusade and all my neighbors are trying to sneak in and grab counties off me. This is again understandable but now the Duke of Essex, who will lose his land if the Crusade succeeds, has declared war on me rather than fight in the Crusade in which I'm helping to defend him. I haven't had money to spend in like three generations and I can't even expand my domain to collect more taxes since I can't declare war since I'm always in debt from defending in wars, poo poo is getting old.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SlothBear posted:

I like that it costs prestige. I always had a lot of that and not much to do with it after the early game.

It seems like a lot of the culture and court stuff may cost prestige; I imagine Paradox was seeing a lot of people sitting on big amounts of it.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I think the Court stuff is a money sink and the culture stuff is a prestige sink. There was one screenshot that showed like the level of amenities your court had like the types of inns visiting diplomats would stay in that I imagine you pay to upgrade, plus all the minor court positions you will pay to employ. A money sink for kingdom/empire level rulers is definitely needed since currently your income just scales up really quick and the most spendy thing you do is upgrade your direct demense which never grows above 2 duchies.

e: This one

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 28, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I rarely have a lick of prestige as tribal, all my actions eat it up.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I played CK2 but I never played CK3 - how interesting/enjoyable is the internal side of gameplay in CK3? If I just want to expand all the way up to a de jure empire and then focus on making the empire rich and stable and make my family be in control of everything, does it remain interesting? Or does it get boring if you're not invading and conquering?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Red Bones posted:

I played CK2 but I never played CK3 - how interesting/enjoyable is the internal side of gameplay in CK3? If I just want to expand all the way up to a de jure empire and then focus on making the empire rich and stable and make my family be in control of everything, does it remain interesting? Or does it get boring if you're not invading and conquering?

I think is more interesting than CK2 in some stuff (character and dynasty development, religion creation/reforming), less interesting in others (no conclave like council, no artifacts or secret societies, "Crown Authority" like in earlier CK2, insted of individual laws like in later CK2)

Upcoming DLC should make it that part of the game a lot better

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Raiding owns. The Isle of Mann had higher development than all of the world minus Constantinople and those super places in India and that felt good

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Isle of Mann also gets 20 development levels for free, it’s not exactly unexpected

scaterry fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 29, 2021

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I've never been so rich I've needed more than two duchies of demense to pour it into, what am I missing and/or how am I apparently loving up so bad that I'm apparently falling on the opposite side of this consensus that more money sinks are a necessary and good thing?

Also the vampire mod owns and if it just got an update it might be time to get back into this

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Money tips:

1. Always keep a good opinion with your court priest, they give a scaling percentage of taxes and levies up to +50 opinion for all temples in your domain, that alone can be as much income as 10 regular feudal vassals.
2. Do whatever it takes to ensure every vassal's contact is at least normal taxes. Totally worth it to drop levy contribution for it, or get a hook.
3. Don't overly consolidate your vassals. Even as an emperor, you want mostly dukes since contributions get decimated with every level of hierarchy they have to filter through before getting to you.
4. Focus your demense buildings on max income except for the one building that boosts whatever MaA type you're spamming. Levies are not worth any limited building slots.
5. Every character should get Golden Obligations no matter what their actual lifestyle. You get hooks so easily and it's a huge bonus for them to convert directly to cash. Captured a minor courtier in a siege? You can ransom them to their king for 15 gold, OR ransom them for a hook and then immediately demand a 100 gold payment for that hook.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also the reason to have multiple duchies is not to own a bunch of counties (though that is nice), it's to have many of the Duchy unique buildings that boost your MaA stats through the roof.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

HiroProtagonist posted:

I've never been so rich I've needed more than two duchies of demense to pour it into, what am I missing and/or how am I apparently loving up so bad that I'm apparently falling on the opposite side of this consensus that more money sinks are a necessary and good thing?

Also the vampire mod owns and if it just got an update it might be time to get back into this

The trick to making lots of money is lots of direct vassals. Every level of vassal only passes up 10% of what they make to their overlord at base obligations, so if you are a king and you have a duke vassal with their own count vassals, you will only be getting paid 1% of what those counties are actually making, since the duke takes 10% of their income, then only passes 10% of that along to you. If you're an emperor and have kings over dukes over counts, that goes down to 0.1%. So putting all those counts directly under you instead allows you to get as much from those counties as possible. You will eventually have to delegate once you get big enough and start rubbing up against the vassal limit, but even then you want to try to limit how deep the hierarchy goes, and try to keep the people with the most valuable land directly under you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Exactly. And irritatingly the AI is programmed to instantly mediatize it's vassals the instant it can, so it gives up huge quantities of cash.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

That feels....wrong. Why is it so much more harsh than CK2? Is there any point at all to having king vassals?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
The only real benefit to fewer vassals is fewer potential faction members to keep happy. So if you can get an alliance or have a child king then all the territory that they control will never be raised against you. But it's easy enough to control factions with other methods that it's never really necessary or even a good idea

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
There is also a vassal limit, and if you go too far over it then you start getting income penalties, so if you get big enough then you'll want to start making king vassals. It is also just a lot easier to manage a few big vassals then the duke blob as well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Here's a thought: If you decided to install all your kids/family as middle managers under you, what happens to all their money when they die with no heirs and the titles return to you? I mean yea it's a terrible idea for multiple reasons, but do primary heirs inherit positive bank balances without exception, dynasties etc be damned?

Second, even crazier thought: what happens when someone dies, who is independant, and has no vassals, court, nor living family? It'd have to be a tiny count with nothing but his own held baronies, but it's technically doable? I'd assume its something unremarkable like the game just spins up some lowborn, hrm.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Are matrilineal marriages still bugged? I had an equal realm and spent the entire evening setting it up, I had a female heir, who had a female heir of her own. After the end of my session and nearing the end of my first ruler's life I check out her kids. NONE of them set up matrilineal marriages for their own daughters so none of their heirs are the right dynasty. I have default game rules, so since they are part of an equal realm, they should defeat to matri marriages? Extremely frustrating to lose an evening to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Serephina posted:

Here's a thought: If you decided to install all your kids/family as middle managers under you, what happens to all their money when they die with no heirs and the titles return to you? I mean yea it's a terrible idea for multiple reasons, but do primary heirs inherit positive bank balances without exception, dynasties etc be damned?

Second, even crazier thought: what happens when someone dies, who is independant, and has no vassals, court, nor living family? It'd have to be a tiny count with nothing but his own held baronies, but it's technically doable? I'd assume its something unremarkable like the game just spins up some lowborn, hrm.

1. Yep.
2. It goes to a courtier.

Eimi posted:

Are matrilineal marriages still bugged? I had an equal realm and spent the entire evening setting it up, I had a female heir, who had a female heir of her own. After the end of my session and nearing the end of my first ruler's life I check out her kids. NONE of them set up matrilineal marriages for their own daughters so none of their heirs are the right dynasty. I have default game rules, so since they are part of an equal realm, they should defeat to matri marriages? Extremely frustrating to lose an evening to this.

Might be grandchildren in general. For some reason you can arrange wrong-lineality marriages to them and the AI will accept.