Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

moist turtleneck posted:

purple level razor wire on this level is so funny

https://i.imgur.com/GHuhIkn.gifv

Battlefield One looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

On the deck thing the game actively confuses the issue by making a big deal of your first card always being your starter card, as if it's unique in that regard.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Mendrian posted:

On the deck thing the game actively confuses the issue by making a big deal of your first card always being your starter card, as if it's unique in that regard.

Yeah for a long time I thought that was a character trait and not an actual card. Pretty sure I didn't change my cards enough after Act 1 for it to be different, so I was like well, I guess Doc starts with these shoes.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Yeah for a long time I thought that was a character trait and not an actual card. Pretty sure I didn't change my cards enough after Act 1 for it to be different, so I was like well, I guess Doc starts with these shoes.
I've never not used the Combat Knife as my starter card, to the point that when I created a new deck last session, I forgot to put it in there and was very confused and then disappointed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

WhiteHowler posted:

I've never not used the Combat Knife as my starter card, to the point that when I created a new deck last session, I forgot to put it in there and was very confused and then disappointed.

If it helps unless you're running a specific build it's probably more of a trap card later on, as you lose out on the ability to shove.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah the knife in a precise stab and I've learned to miss the more general use the shove offers.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't care for the knife, not only because you lose the shove but because you gain, what, a couple of ridden killed during reloads and a few bullets saved on incidentals while traversing a level? It's just not worth the opportunity cost of a card.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't care for the knife, not only because you lose the shove but because you gain, what, a couple of ridden killed during reloads and a few bullets saved on incidentals while traversing a level? It's just not worth the opportunity cost of a card.
I can be convinced of a lot of things about this game, but the Combat Knife card has given me a ridiculous amount of utility, and I absolutely feel its absence when it's not equipped. It's just fast, free kills on basic ridden.

I haven't found the shove to be critical so far. I tend to run shotguns, so nearby groups of ridden, or even specials that get in too close aren't as much of a threat as if I were using a rifle or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you shoot the Ogre at the the end of act 1 with the howitzer it straight up one shots him and the game gives you a trophy for it. It’s pretty rad.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like combat knife because I always have that card for 2 health on melee kill, which lets me get health back while I reload somehow

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I've been trying out Nightmare solo and have made it to the ferry stage - the agility/stamina cards I never used in veteran are really good. Probably never gonna get outta act 1 though it really is total nonsense ha

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One important thing I don’t think the game communicates at all is that getting grabbed by a sleeper will spawn a horde. And not a little pissy horde like getting barfed on does. It’s just as bad as scaring crows or setting off an alarm.

I feel like every team should have someone playing as Karlee and staying behind her so she can warn everyone of sleepers, alarms and other specials that are incoming.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol monkey paw curls

https://trello.com/b/sXUnAzpW/community-back-4-blood

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

roblox "oof"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

This is hilarious

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You realize this means the optimal strategy is to have only one person with this card, and when you want to switch attachments, you do a conga line of weapon swapping with that person. It's asinine, they should just make it a normal ability (and, again, get rid of broken attachments).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Only if it turns out weapon mods make that much of a difference that you'll want to swap them out that often, which doesn't happen on veteran. Not sure about nightmare but I also don't like punching myself repeatedly in the testes, so :shrug:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The utility of the knife might be an aim thing (as in console vs PC aim) because playing on PC I probably have a 95% success rate with hitting it, and it's always a one hit kill on at least medium difficulty. That's better than most of the starting weapons.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

dogstile posted:

Only if it turns out weapon mods make that much of a difference that you'll want to swap them out that often, which doesn't happen on veteran. Not sure about nightmare but I also don't like punching myself repeatedly in the testes, so :shrug:

MOST weapon mods don't matter to me for the most part, except for mag attachments with +reload speed. That can turn an LMG from a powerful but unweidly weapon to a neverending bullet hose.

... Well, it would matter, except I always run with Admin Reloads and Two Is One on my LMG build anyway. I suppose in the end the sights are the thing that matter the most to me as iron sights and sniper scopes are a pain to use.

The main issue I see the devs are trying to avoid is everyone raiding every purple weapon they find for the attachments, slowing the game down. But that's gonna happen anyway if they make it a card, it'll just be even more of a pain to coordinate.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 25, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, that's mostly where i'm at. I like having some form of actual sight and everything else is secondary because my cards make up for the rest.

I actually think its the dev's going "ugh, fine" but putting it in a way that teaches people that attachments really aren't that big of a deal. The actual problem i've got is that it's basically grab a purple scar or get a lower gun with an attachments to bring the damage up to purple scar.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah the only other thing I really look for is a silencer for my medic build. Otherwise I'll just roll with whatever. I might swap an attachment if I see a really good one (some of those gold ones are great) but if it's a problem I haven't already solved with my deck, relying on attachments isn't gonna cut it.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i just grab whatever weapon mod that isent a scope and increases stuff without looking too hard

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
several hopups allege to provide +10% movement speed which is twice as much as you get from the cards i have.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Also does the deck tutorial ever mention that your deck is in order? I only learned that after a friend told me but I always thought it was random, hence it being a deck.

When the game auto launches into the "deck tutorial video", the voiceover briefly mentions it.
That is also the only time I've seen it referred to ingame.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

This is terrible news. Removing attachments was one of our group's greatest fears after the beta, since it would entirely defeat the purpose of attachments in adding variation to the otherwise simple loot system, and we were ecstatic that the devs didn't cave on release. Now this is potentially even worse if it turns out to be worth a card slot, as people will have to fight with the inventory interface (which is emphatically not designed to be used this way) to have one person tinker with the entire group's guns. I hope they add some loving abysmal malus to the card to make it not worth taking, or have it literally only function inside the saferoom so it at least doesn't disrupt flow mid-level.

God I hate the general public. No interest in having choices, just incoherent frothing over not having all the shinies at once.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I don't understand all the discussion about rarity and attachments it's not like I need a scope or a barrel on my fuckin axe :black101: This game is fun as hell with a solid melee deck. Why use a gun when I can turn into a blender and kill a tall boy in two hits of a hatchet :smug:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Chasiubao posted:

I don't understand all the discussion about rarity and attachments it's not like I need a scope or a barrel on my fuckin axe :black101: This game is fun as hell with a solid melee deck. Why use a gun when I can turn into a blender and kill a tall boy in two hits of a hatchet :smug:

Because I can't touch melee in this game without remembering how much better Vermintide 2 melee combat feels.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
okay this one is a gripe for me

so many games made nowadays are based on how it looks on monitor
The Outer Worlds was straight up not legible on a TV unless you walked right up to it to look at menus (they did deal with this pretty quickly at least)

Separate question: does the card that gives people health when someone goes down a stackable card? like can you get 75 health if someone goes down if 3 people have the card?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Corbeau posted:

This is terrible news. Removing attachments was one of our group's greatest fears after the beta, since it would entirely defeat the purpose of attachments in adding variation to the otherwise simple loot system, and we were ecstatic that the devs didn't cave on release. Now this is potentially even worse if it turns out to be worth a card slot, as people will have to fight with the inventory interface (which is emphatically not designed to be used this way) to have one person tinker with the entire group's guns. I hope they add some loving abysmal malus to the card to make it not worth taking, or have it literally only function inside the saferoom so it at least doesn't disrupt flow mid-level.

God I hate the general public. No interest in having choices, just incoherent frothing over not having all the shinies at once.

Glad your group likes it, happy you want them to make something optional useless so you can continue feeling smug that you don't want to use the option.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CoolCab posted:

several hopups allege to provide +10% movement speed which is twice as much as you get from the cards i have.

"Hopup"? Like the airsoft thing?

Corbeau posted:

Yeah I kinda agree. I think they should just let you disable attachments (or even just the scope) without removing them, and MAYBE let you swap them between your primary and secondary (since you technically can do that anyway when you find a spare attachment). And just get rid of broken attachments entirely.

moist turtleneck posted:

Separate question: does the card that gives people health when someone goes down a stackable card? like can you get 75 health if someone goes down if 3 people have the card?

A quick check on reddit seems to suggest that Inspiring Sacrifice DOES in fact stack...! Someone needs to test to confirm for sure.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 25, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Hopup"? Like the airsoft thing?

no idea, it's what bangalore from apex calls gun parts

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
game bretty good so far

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Glad your group likes it, happy you want them to make something optional useless so you can continue feeling smug that you don't want to use the option.

If this was a different game with private loot, I wouldn't give a poo poo - but I don't get to opt out. If any of my teammates decides to pick up the card, I am straight-up hurting the team if I don't make use of their ability. And that sucks.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CoolCab posted:

no idea, it's what bangalore from apex calls gun parts

Lol, oh yeah, I forgot about that. It's a term used in airsoft guns (a hop-up device puts spin on the BB so it flies further) but it has absolutely nothing to do with real guns. So either Respawn didn't know it was only an airsoft thing, or did know and just liked how it sounded as a future slang term for "weapon mod".

Corbeau posted:

If this was a different game with private loot, I wouldn't give a poo poo - but I don't get to opt out. If any of my teammates decides to pick up the card, I am straight-up hurting the team if I don't make use of their ability. And that sucks.

I mean, sure, it's dumb that it's gonna be a card, but it's not THAT bad. Technically you already can micromanage your team's mods by switching them around every time you find a spare mod you can swap between. With the card I figure the way most people will play it is calling out "hey I left a good scope on the ground here" more often and whoever wants it will grab it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 25, 2021

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
waiting for the hotfix where hoffman tries to do the slide and hits the tie downs on the hood and goes ow ow ow ow

https://i.imgur.com/KbcZT4o.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/dCV3sSy.gifv

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, i guess you don't need to have cards to get through veteran, just took two people with new cards through act one, with a melee and a medic build keeping them afloat.

God i hope they rework the pukers to something less annoying. Least favourite part of this game is it spawning multiple's of those.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Corbeau posted:

What are you talking about?
You don't have to do a goddamn thing to other group member's guns.
If they want the high zoom removed from their AA12 or loving whatever, then they can run that card themselves.
You are making this thing that isn't a problem, into a problem for no real reason.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

okay this one is a gripe for me

so many games made nowadays are based on how it looks on monitor
The Outer Worlds was straight up not legible on a TV unless you walked right up to it to look at menus (they did deal with this pretty quickly at least)

i thought i was just getting old because nothing but subtitles was readable to me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

What are you talking about?
You don't have to do a goddamn thing to other group member's guns.
If they want the high zoom removed from their AA12 or loving whatever, then they can run that card themselves.
You are making this thing that isn't a problem, into a problem for no real reason.

The idea of making it a card vs the basic functionality it should have been in the first place is dumb as hell, but I'd still take it over the ridiculous system they have in place. I never thought I'd see someone so passionate about enjoying that every shotgun has a loving sniper scope on it lol

E: not you, but the person you quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You guys are running AA-12's without the ADS removing cards? :v:

On a serious note though, I run my shotguns with scopes because i never ADS and they increase weakspot damage.