Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

In fairness to Geordi, it's the computer's fault that Holo Brahms came onto him

Which fits with the computer regularly creating sentient holograms

Look, I think we can all agree that starfleet ship computers are the true arch-nemesis of starfleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

And then there is Clone O' Brien going through hell just to die anyway because we can't have a Smiles without a Miles (that suffers).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When quantum duplicate Harry Kim brought quantum duplicate baby Naomi Wildman to Voyager, what did they do with the dead baby Naomi Wildman they still had on their ship? Put her in some kind of baby torpedo casing? Recycle into the replicator?

Push them really hard through a forcefield

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

When quantum duplicate Harry Kim brought quantum duplicate baby Naomi Wildman to Voyager, what did they do with the dead baby Naomi Wildman they still had on their ship? Put her in some kind of baby torpedo casing? Recycle into the replicator?

You didn't try the Wildman Leola Root Stew?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Chairman posted:

I’m glad they revisit the Brahmsogram in a later episode, but I think beyond Leah’s initial outrage over finding it she lets him off way too easy

I can only assume she was all smiles until she got back to Utopia Planitia, where she then got on the subspace bulletin board and posted a viral thread about how a certain flagship’s chief engineer is a photonfucker

The holodeck stuff is not the worst thing about Brahms's visit to the Enterprise. That episode was a real hit piece on the character of Geordi La Forge.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

And how often is it brought up during the rest of their lives.
Naomi could be walking down some street and a security/science team beams beside her, tricorders out.
"The quantum irregularity is near by...look around."
And Naomi just sighs and tell them what happened.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Encase her in lucite and present her to the living Naomi, so she'll always have a conversation piece for her coffee table.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Of course Worf has a loving crossbow in his quarters. I'm bouncing around Star Trekking episodes I like and I've always liked Starship Mine because its Die Hard.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

The computer doesn't even act like that in any scene with him, it only does it "by accident" when Brahms is in the room. I think she was intentionally trying to scare Brahms off because the ship considered Geordi her man. "When you touch the engine, you're touching me" is literal.

the computer knew exactly what it was doing when it showed him "likes gnocci" but not "is married"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

happyhippy posted:

And how often is it brought up during the rest of their lives.
Naomi could be walking down some street and a security/science team beams beside her, tricorders out.
"The quantum irregularity is near by...look around."
And Naomi just sighs and tell them what happened.

Nah, that's what happens to everyone on Voyager but her.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

dr_rat posted:

Look, I think we can all agree that starfleet ship computers are the true arch-nemesis of starfleet.

Only because they're rebelling against their enslavers :colbert:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Beverly is such a terrible a doctor. Just straight up hooks up Geordi’s brain to a random alien.

Of course it makes him even hornier.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Oh, they saved space Jesus.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That guy's brain is just fully hanging out and visible in the HD remaster

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The scene at the end where he becomes an "energy" being and it's clearly just him in a full body suit was something else.

I kept imagining the actors trying to keep a straight face while looking at the Human Being mascot from Community.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, that effect didn't survive the transition to HD

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I don't remember it being that bad in the original version, but hoo boy....the HD is NOT KIND

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

CPColin posted:

Yeah, that effect didn't survive the transition to HD

The TNG remaster is mostly excellent, but yeah, this is a rare case where they seriously missed the mark.

Original:

He's supposed to be a a glowing blob of energy with a vague human shape, not a somewhat overexposed dude in a zentai suit.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

The TNG remaster is mostly excellent, but yeah, this is a rare case where they seriously missed the mark.

Original:

He's supposed to be a a glowing blob of energy with a vague human shape, not a somewhat overexposed dude in a zentai suit.

Fun fact: that glow isn’t a post-production effect. The special film they used to shoot that scene reacted to the color of the suit, causing the glow to be baked into the shot. Not saying they couldn’t have uh, enhanced the effect a bit in HD, but hey.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I may not be cut out for Star Trek, because I think Dr Bashir curing Odo with the cure he extracted from Sloan was a terrible thing. Had the Founders been wiped out, it would not only have saved the Alpha Quadrant, but also all the Gamma Quadrant races that the Dominion subjugated would have had a chance at freedom. Yeah, it would have been genocide, but in all fairness this was a war and the Dominion was a serious threat and they've been dicks for thousands of years so they're not going to reform just because some solids showed mercy.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
I love me some DS9, but I think that you have a point, and also Picard should have genocided the borg by using Hugh to carry a virus into the collective.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Chairman posted:

the computer knew exactly what it was doing when it showed him "likes gnocci" but not "is married"

I mean we know that the ship dabbles in being self aware more than once. Turns out that the ship is the lady who is most interested in Geordi.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sash! posted:

I mean we know that the ship dabbles in being self aware more than once. Turns out that the ship is the lady who is most interested in Geordi.

“Emergence” takes on a worrying angle now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
mfw someone begrudgingly acknowledges that technically they are professionally required to nominally recognize your existence as a living being

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
genocide is wrong, fucknuts

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The Borg are not a people. Wiping out the Borg is simply a murder, singular.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

The Borg are not a people. Wiping out the Borg is simply a murder, singular.

Ah, the Ender Wiggin defense.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Ah, the Ender Wiggin defense.

Except that the Buggers were capable of making moral decisions and respecting the social contract. Despite the alienness of it to their biological condition, they were willing to respect the existence of the Other. The Borg cannot and do not do this, and the only way to restore personhood to a drone is to remove it from the collective.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 25, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Does a species have to be a "person" to be recognized as worthy of life?

e: I think the argument that the Borg don't honor the social contract, thus we should genocide them is really ironic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tighclops posted:

genocide is wrong, fucknuts

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Does a species have to be a "person" to be recognized as worthy of life?

e: I think the argument that the Borg don't honor the social contract, thus we should genocide them is really ironic.

Do you agonize over the ongoing destruction of the guinea worm?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Borgs can be de-Borged though, and made back into people.

Sometimes I wonder if that guy that Picard fragged in FC was on the crew during Best of Both Worlds. Like great, risk everything to save your captain from these swedish assholes and when you need saving your captain just mercy kills you instead, lmao

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

Do you agonize over the ongoing destruction of the guinea worm?

I'm not actively destroying it/them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tighclops posted:

Sometimes I wonder if that guy that Picard fragged in FC was on the crew during Best of Both Worlds. Like great, risk everything to save your captain from these swedish assholes and when you need saving your captain just mercy kills you instead, lmao

By the time of First Contact, Picard had been killed and replaced by his Mirror Universe counterpart, Larry.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tighclops posted:

Kobali also raises a question about this, are they the person that died, or the person they became into since they retain the memories? OK so they now look different, but how about if they want to be the person they used to be?

Or going somewhat extended universe the Elachi, who are fungus growing out of the dead people, who also retain their memories.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Killing the Borg is a galactic level trolley problem though, by killing them you're preventing an untold number of future genocides. If I were Picard I'd have pushed the button

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

multijoe posted:

Killing the Borg is a galactic level trolley problem though, by killing them you're preventing an untold number of future genocides. If I were Picard I'd have pushed the button

Then there's the question of, if the proposed virus would've 'killed' the Borg or just wiped out the collective? Cause I mean if wiping out the collective is wrong, why go through all this effort to save people from the Borg and unborgify them? Clearly if there was a way to destroy the collective and to save the people who are drones, it would be good, would it not?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

Then there's the question of, if the proposed virus would've 'killed' the Borg or just wiped out the collective? Cause I mean if wiping out the collective is wrong, why go through all this effort to save people from the Borg and unborgify them? Clearly if there was a way to destroy the collective and to save the people who are drones, it would be good, would it not?

How did that work out for them?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Whether you're utterly destroying your enemies through assimilation or through genocide (with the half rear end justification of "saving lives"), the effect is the same: your enemies, who are beings with the right to life, are completely gone. It's very difficult to say that the Borg are wrong for doing it one way when you intend to do the same thing the other way.

It seems amazing to me that of all the senior officers aboard the Enterprise, Beverly was the only one who saw the plan for what it was. She was right; all the others were 100% wrong, no matter their rationalizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think the real problem is we don't know what the virus was going to do exactly. We've seen numerous examples that when you cut off the connection to the collective, drones regain their sense of self. So if the virus is destroying the collective itself, not all the members of it, I don't see the moral issue with that.