Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I was a little concerned about the the first picture and then I saw the bracing and went "yep it's Ken I shouldn't have worried." Those welds look good too. I don't think it's going to come apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Wrar posted:

I was a little concerned about the the first picture and then I saw the bracing and went "yep it's Ken I shouldn't have worried." Those welds look good too. I don't think it's going to come apart.

I think we need a video of him testing by flat towing the army truck at 30 MPH to be sure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Krakkles posted:

:stonklol:

I mean, needs must, but yeeeesh. That’s hilarious. Well done reinforcing the crap out of it.

That drop hitch is definitely something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is the best worst drop hitch I’ve ever seen. The Honcho continues to be a favourite.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Trip log:
- the wind noise in this thing is unreal. Like re-entering the atmosphere in the space shuttle. It's impossible to hear the CB or phone. Oh well.
- I averaged 12.7mpg in a brick on 35in tires towing another brick at 65 to 70 for the first leg of the trip.
- at some point I thought I was running out of fuel (gauge not yet working) and tried out the in-flight refueling setup I built. It drains the tractor tank into the fuel cell. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem (and a knock sensor circuit low voltage code popped up) but there was a rest stop right there so I pulled over. Turns out I didn't ever put any loom on the harness where it was too close to the radiator support and frayed a few wires. Didn't break them or fray much so I slapped the loom on and filled up, kept driving.
- a while later the wagon needed fuel so we pulled over at the next rest stop. I thought I was fine on fuel so I didn't fill up. Pulled out of the rest stop, accelerated hard (I'll never get used to that, this thing is faster than the MJ and wagon by a good bit even towing a trailer) and said "man this thing is too fast" on the CB. Whoops. Instant bogging and stuttering. I milked it along a few miles thinking codes would pop up and help me, but nothing, then dead. Coasted into the breakdown lane. Apparently I caused such an airshow that Britt missed me pulling into the breakdown lane. I figured out the tank was empty (:lol:) and told her on the CB but no answer. So I got it filling from my aux tank and called on the phone. She was miles ahead but I said go ahead and just cruise at like 55 and I'll catch up or call if I'm still stranded. Got back on the road and hammered down, caught up at the Ontario rest stop and...
- "hey my car is making a funny wheel noise especially when I turn"
- :lmao::lmao::lmao: gently caress

Oh God

YOU THINK THAT WILL STOP US WAGON? THINK THE gently caress AGAIN
Luckily there was an AutoZone 7 miles away (37 coming back, since I had to double back on i90) that was closing in 45 minutes and had the correct studs and nuts in stock, and I put one of the other full set of tires in as the spare for this trip so this was a 2 hour, 65 dollar problem not a world-ending catastrophe.
New studs in

Work area, better than I have at home... Or at the hangar

This should be invisible by the time the first snowstorm is cleared

Needed to take the rest of the cone off one of the old lug nuts to pull the new studs in... Sorry concrete

loving hammered dog poo poo

I should note, I have not touched these rear wheels since I put the snow tires on in fall 2019. I have driven it thousands of miles. It has been fine, and I have checked these lugs since then. I have no loving idea how this happened. It drove fine when I drove it back from the hangar after all the work I did on it. It was almost certainly fine when it left home this morning. Britt is not a crazy driver, she's more attentive to bad noises than I am and less abusive in fact. She said it was making the noise for MAYBE 50 or 100 miles and she thought it was a lovely paving job until it acted funny turning into the rest stop.

I cannot believe how hosed the wheel and studs got in such a short time.

So I put it back together and by that point it was nearly 11. We decided to call it a night and found a hotel.

Anyways. Going to recheck the lugs in the morning and then hit the road again.

Unsure if we're taking 90, 94, 80, 84, etc once we get past Chicago, depends on the forecast. I'm expecting 90 or 94 however.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
LOL. Wagon thinks that'll stop you. Silly wagon.

Godspeed, sweet price!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wheel hasn't come off again and we made 758 miles today. Not as much as I hoped. Going to aim for Bozeman tomorrow which would be a solid 18 hours.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Supposedly there's some TikTok trend going around that has people loosening lug nuts on cars:

https://jalopnik.com/a-tiktok-challenge-encourages-people-to-loosen-lug-nuts-1847860383

Not that anyone's been able to actually find any videos of it being done, and you know how the local news media likes to blow things like this out of proportion.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I kind of doubt that happening but it was parked outside the hangar for a few nights until we could get a second driver up there to bring it back, right before starting this trip. I know people have stolen poo poo off my Grand Wagoneer that's parked there so it's possible. Not sure. One lug appears to have broken off or been broken off before the wheel started flapping around, I'm not entirely certain of the implications of that either.

We are way behind schedule. Looping around Minneapolis on 694 right now. 1720 miles to go.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

I kind of doubt that happening but it was parked outside the hangar for a few nights until we could get a second driver up there to bring it back, right before starting this trip. I know people have stolen poo poo off my Grand Wagoneer that's parked there so it's possible. Not sure. One lug appears to have broken off or been broken off before the wheel started flapping around, I'm not entirely certain of the implications of that either.

We are way behind schedule. Looping around Minneapolis on 694 right now. 1720 miles to go.

For some reason, I was thinking that this was it for you on the east coast and you were not coming back. Are you planning to fly back for the rest of it soon?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, couple weeks or so out here then I'll head back to finish it off and get it listed.

We are closing in on Billings Mt.135 miles till then and it's time to sleep a bit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's still setting a pretty good pace, all things considered.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
That is excellent pace given the amount of stuff you're hauling with you. I'm curious what condition the mountain passes will be for you coming through Idaho and crossing the Cascades since I'll be making the same journey in a couple of weeks. Goonspeed.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Godspeed brave goon!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I sure hope we get some pictures of this westbound convoy, man.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I sure hope we get some pictures of this westbound convoy, man.

He's now on the exact same route OpelLady and I took with the 5 ton and Volvo getting out here.

God Speed, Kastein, and don't get unlucky and hit Tacoma Narrows during rush hour like we did.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

We made it! Got in at 11pm. Hit traffic in Spokane but that's it, clear sailing otherwise.

We head over to the property tomorrow morning bright and early to move the RV, then paperwork time since it's registered in California and the registration is expired.

E: first half day, Central Mass to Batavia NY, harness frayed through on Honcho, wheel tried to part ways with Roadmaster
Second day, Batavia NY to Baraboo WI
Third day, Baraboo WI to Columbus MT, she took 90 I took 94, ignition on cylinder 3 of Honcho failed, replaced coil via the "parts cannon" diagnostics method, it was better for a couple hundred miles and then quit again
Fourth day (today), Columbus MT to Port Orchard WA (staying at the in-laws), ignition picked and chose when it wanted to work, I just drove. Crossed the continental divide at 50mph in third gear on seven cylinders.

kastein fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 16, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Impressive showing from the well-tuned driving machines!

Welcome home!

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

kastein posted:

We made it! Got in at 11pm. Hit traffic in Spokane but that's it, clear sailing otherwise.

We head over to the property tomorrow morning bright and early to move the RV, then paperwork time since it's registered in California and the registration is expired.

E: first half day, Central Mass to Batavia NY, harness frayed through on Honcho, wheel tried to part ways with Roadmaster
Second day, Batavia NY to Baraboo WI
Third day, Baraboo WI to Columbus MT, she took 90 I took 94, ignition on cylinder 3 of Honcho failed, replaced coil via the "parts cannon" diagnostics method, it was better for a couple hundred miles and then quit again
Fourth day (today), Columbus MT to Port Orchard WA (staying at the in-laws), ignition picked and chose when it wanted to work, I just drove. Crossed the continental divide at 50mph in third gear on seven cylinders.

Haha congrats. Welcome to Port Orchard!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

Port Orchard WA

That sounds familiar. Hope you get settled in well at the new place.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you need any lift time post- trip, I’m a relatively short drive south.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I hopefully won't, but thanks for the offer!

I just took the Honcho up to Lowes in Port Orchard today and drat it is a weird feeling to just... Not worry about getting an inspection ticket at all. Because, well, there is no such thing.

Unfortunately I forgot to buy half the things I needed to get so I guess I'll just have to do it again tomorrow morning.

We got the RV running again easily this time (to move it to my in-laws place while we work on it a bit more before bringing it back to our property.) Just hooked the battery back up, hit the glow plugs twice and it started right up.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

kastein posted:

I hopefully won't, but thanks for the offer!

I just took the Honcho up to Lowes in Port Orchard today and drat it is a weird feeling to just... Not worry about getting an inspection ticket at all. Because, well, there is no such thing.

Unfortunately I forgot to buy half the things I needed to get so I guess I'll just have to do it again tomorrow morning.

We got the RV running again easily this time (to move it to my in-laws place while we work on it a bit more before bringing it back to our property.) Just hooked the battery back up, hit the glow plugs twice and it started right up.

No inspection I was used to (Colorado didn't either), but No Emissions is still a thing I'm trying to get used to.

Also I've had such lovely luck at that Lowes I keep forgetting it's there anymore, usually hit Ace on mile hill or head down to home depot in gig.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think I went to that Lowes 4 or 5 times today just because of my complete inability to plan or write a complete accurate shopping list.

Well, I didn't get what I planned to do today done, but I did get the RVs generator working! It turns out that the totally hosed house batteries were at fault. The generator pulls its starting current from them and some loving idiot in the past had decided to connect its lead (and 2 others) to the battery by USING A 3/4" LONG SELF TAPPER DRIVEN INTO THE LEAD TERMINAL. It was corroded between the cable lug and battery terminal and dropping 11 volts when the starter contactor kicked in.

The batteries were also both smoked (my "short it out and see how hot the sparks are" load test only produced very slight sparking, and only under duress) so two group 27DC batteries were grabbed at the last minute and installed:

And now it starts at a push of the button any time you ask it to.

Still need to fix the fridge. I'm not sure it works at all.

Doccers posted:

I swear to god we will do everything in our power to drag the volvo and 5 ton out to the east coast just to party at Kastein's place.

I think we might have hosed this plan up

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

kastein posted:

some loving idiot in the past had decided to connect its lead (and 2 others) to the battery by USING A 3/4" LONG SELF TAPPER DRIVEN INTO THE LEAD TERMINAL. It was corroded between the cable lug and battery terminal and dropping 11 volts when the starter contactor kicked in.

Lol, that's just efficient engineering

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

kastein posted:

I think I went to that Lowes 4 or 5 times today just because of my complete inability to plan or write a complete accurate shopping list.
I am terrible out this as well. I have improved a bit by keeping a running list of stuff I want/need from different stores in a notes app. It helps, but is not a perfect solution.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm normally great at it because I'm used to living 12 miles from home depot, so I keep a running list in Google Keep, but I've been so frazzled working on multiple projects at once that I keep forgetting to put things on the drat list.

Also amazingly that wasn't a typo - it's not dropping to 11 volts... It's dropping 11 volts. The poor starter was getting 0.88 volts.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Until you've stocked up a decades worth of home improvement leftovers you'll never achieve a one trip to the hardware store project.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

kastein posted:

I think we might have hosed this plan up

East Coast (of the Key Peninsula on Kitsap) - we just had to specify, you see...

And yeah, I've done the "back to ACE 4 or 5 times" shuffle before...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

I'm normally great at it because I'm used to living 12 miles from home depot, so I keep a running list in Google Keep, but I've been so frazzled working on multiple projects at once that I keep forgetting to put things on the drat list.

Also amazingly that wasn't a typo - it's not dropping to 11 volts... It's dropping 11 volts. The poor starter was getting 0.88 volts.

I use Google Keep because it's good at voice recognition.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

So I haven't posted this pic here yet and you're drat right I'm gonna toot my own horn about this rad piece of junk making it cross country without stranding me despite it having less than 300 miles on everything I installed (basically "all of it except for the front axle, springs, steering box, and brake booster") and having never been more than 25 miles from home before.

Now I just need to replace the rest of it and it'll be perfect.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Doccers posted:

East Coast (of the Key Peninsula on Kitsap) - we just had to specify, you see...

And yeah, I've done the "back to ACE 4 or 5 times" shuffle before...

I've gone to Silverdale or GH HD so many drat times because the PO Lowes sucks so bad, even though I could probably coast to it with the Ranger's clutch popped.

kastein posted:

So I haven't posted this pic here yet and you're drat right I'm gonna toot my own horn about this rad piece of junk making it cross country without stranding me despite it having less than 300 miles on everything I installed (basically "all of it except for the front axle, springs, steering box, and brake booster") and having never been more than 25 miles from home before.

I saw this on FB, the Honcho's so fuckin' rad.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Love this photo
So fuckin awesome that it just came together and worked without a fight.
Now of course there's gremlins lying in wait. But at least you have a shop now

kastein posted:

In my experience one way or another you're eventually replacing all of it. So do it on your time or do it on its time.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

That's awesome. It's always an exciting experience driving something with newly installed parts, let alone a cross country trip!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

Love this photo
So fuckin awesome that it just came together and worked without a fight.
Now of course there's gremlins lying in wait. But at least you have a shop now

In my experience one way or another you're eventually replacing all of it. So do it on your time or do it on its time.

I don't have a shop yet, just 5 acres of thorns. As for gremlins I was waiting for the fuel tank to refill when I took that pic :v: I only ran out of gas 5 or 6 times due to the gauge not working and my aux tank setup not really working unless parked with both caps off.

And yeah, I expect to have to redo most of the rest of it soon. The front axle is planned, the brake booster and steering box and dash wiring... I'll let them choose the timing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

kastein posted:

I don't have a shop yet, just 5 acres of thorns.

Still counts.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Hells yeah about the Honcho, even if it was probably running on 7 cylinders in that picture.

I eagerly await reading about whatever cheap surplus structure you find to put on your 5 acres. Shipping containers? Circus tent? Jersey barriers and a blue tarp ringing a pit? Who knows?!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I don't have a shop yet, just 5 acres of thorns.
And yeah, I expect to have to redo most of the rest of it soon. The front axle is planned, the brake booster and steering box and dash wiring... I'll let them choose the timing.

Sure you do, the shop is where the fucker breaks. It just so happens you have 5 acres of shop to call your own.

You know full well they're gonna pop when you're running deep in debt on sleep and time.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

cursedshitbox posted:

You know full well they're gonna pop when you're running deep in debt on sleep and time.

He’s also in the wet part of Washington. Whenever it happens will be right before 3 straight weeks of rain and almost certainly before there’s a roof to wrench under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Based on that it would have happened last Saturday.

Good loving God it's been raining forever. At least I can now definitively state that the RV roof no longer leaks.

Wrenching in rain doesn't really bother me much, I can get an ez-up. I just never want to wrench in snow again, nor in the temp range where everything hurts ten times as bad if you smack your hand with a wrench.