Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

zoux posted:

Book question, Herbert likes to hyphenate things like Ah-h-h-h and Hmm-m-m-m, is that anything or just a quirk of his
I mean, it's definitely a thing in that Frank uses it and as such a good descriptivist linguist probably should look into it, but despite being an amateur (not so cunning) linguist, I'm not sure I've ever seen it described to the point of getting its own name.

I think it works and as sean10mm points out, it's used in a very explicit way to convey something that would've likely would've read very differently without them.

Ithle01 posted:

I think Yueh's wife was a Bene Gesserit so we can assume the answer is pussy magic.
She was, and according to the Dune Encyclopedia she was also part of the plan to bring about the Kwizats Hadarach, which is why she was in contact with the Harkonnens - although it's not completely clear how she ended up being captured.
That whole storyline also plays a part in Bronso of Ix's supposed treasonous acts, although I can't remember if that's from GEoD or Dune Encyclopedia.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

iirc one of the prequel books mentioned FH's notes made more clear that Leto just thinks he's getting a Suk doctor, what everyone was actually saying is Yueh "sucks as a doctor"
I'm pretty sure even mentioning something from non-existent books voids anything you write. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Cheap Trick posted:

Looking forward to the Cinematic Duniverse

It might better than the original literature if the rest of the books really are as lovely as pictured in this thread!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Everyone's political calculations are wildly wrong, because their machine-like thinking is unable to account for Suk conditioning being overstated.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

It might better than the original literature if the rest of the books really are as lovely as pictured in this thread!

"the rest of the books" by the original author are not lovely, just weird and a bit too horny

"the rest of the books" ""written"" by his son are poop from a butt

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

The Bloop posted:

"the rest of the books" by the original author are not lovely, just weird and a bit too horny

"the rest of the books" ""written"" by his son are poop from a butt

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

but not a blessed, lava hot butt like a worm butt, just a dumb cold human butt

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So speaking of Suk conditioning, and how it's broken - when it comes down to it, the reason that Yueh breaks is because of his love for his wife.
And the reason why Jessica disobeys the Mother Superiors direct orders is because of love for her Duke.

So it seems that the Bene Gesserit were right to fear love above all else.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Love and also some low grade BG training.

If I was the BG I'd be more worried about the sisters just teaching people their secret techniques all willy-nilly, like Jessica and Wanna both did.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

So speaking of Suk conditioning, and how it's broken - when it comes down to it, the reason that Yueh breaks is because of his love for his wife.
And the reason why Jessica disobeys the Mother Superiors direct orders is because of love for her Duke.

So it seems that the Bene Gesserit were right to fear love above all else.

Love upending a bunch of carefully constructed math problems is def dunc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I figured Yueh was logic bombed in some way but it's been awhile since I read the book.

Imagined posted:

Padishah is an actual word

It is indeed.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ingmar terdman posted:

Love upending a bunch of carefully constructed math problems is def dunc

Pure, raw, Dunc. Jessica's love of :catdrugs: upends the carefully constructed problem of Alia being a non-conscious fetus

I'm not really sure how that gets addressed in a modern movie. Like straight up, the theme and idea behind all of that is so antithetical to modern society that I don't get how its approached.

EDIT - Jessica knew what she was doing, full stop, and just drank that worm-drank. Its been a while since I've read the book, and Dune 1984 drops the ball, but I guess I just don't understand Jessica's motivation.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 25, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Flakey posted:

Love and also some low grade BG training.

If I was the BG I'd be more worried about the sisters just teaching people their secret techniques all willy-nilly, like Jessica and Wanna both did.
As did Margot Fenring.

Vampire Panties posted:

Pure, raw, Dunc. Jessica's love of :catdrugs: upends the carefully constructed problem of Alia being a non-conscious fetus

I'm not really sure how that gets addressed in a modern movie. Like straight up, the theme and idea behind all of that is so antithetical to modern society that I don't get how its approached.

EDIT - Jessica knew what she was doing, full stop, and just drank that worm-drank. Its been a while since I've read the book, and Dune 1984 drops the ball, but I guess I just don't understand Jessica's motivation.
Despite Paul being her champion securing a place for them both with the Fremen, she is basically powerless - so she becomes a Reverend Mother in order to gain back some power and have some influence.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 25, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

She had to do to to save Paul or something

I don’t remember

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

As did Margot Fenring.

Despite Paul being her champion securing a place for them both with the Fremen, she is basically powerless - so she becomes a Reverend Mother in order to gain back some power and have some influence.

doesnt the current, old, dying RevMo freak out when she finds out that Jessica is pregnant, but its way too late and they're already high AF?

In a weird rear end book, its an extremely weird plot point. IIRC the mechanism of Abomination is introduced roughly .02 seconds before Jessica is like welp its :catdrugs: time

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/daxxglax/status/1452704665267851278?s=20

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

doesnt the current, old, dying RevMo freak out when she finds out that Jessica is pregnant, but its way too late and they're already high AF?

In a weird rear end book, its an extremely weird plot point. IIRC the mechanism of Abomination is introduced roughly .02 seconds before Jessica is like welp its :catdrugs: time
Yep, Ramallo specifically says that it changes both of them, and that the only thing to do is to absorb the fear. She also mentions that a male fetus would've been killed by it.

The only one to call Alia an abomination is Mother Superior Gaius Helen Moahaim, and at that point she isn't one. That doesn't happen until Paul has become The Preacher.

EDIT: Children of Dune also reveal that the fear of bomination is likely what caused Alia to become an abomination, since both Leto II and Ghanima conquered it by accepting a dominant ego-memory.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 25, 2021

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

In the book, Herbert makes a huge deal about Suk conditioning, to the point that the Baron has to lie to the emperor about Yueh being a fake Suk Dok because that's more plausible than the breaking of his conditioning, but I never got what the lever was that was able to break that conditioning. What, taking his wife hostage and torturing her was enough for him to break through this legendary mental discipline? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to turn any old Suk doctor if you were really doing some kanly.
This isn't relevant to the movie (which doesn't even say the word "Suk"), but there's fan headcanon out there that since Wanna is Bene Geserit it's actually her control over him that overcame the Suk conditioning, and that was how Piter got in.

Or to put it more simply,

Ithle01 posted:

we can assume the answer is pussy magic.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Ulf posted:

This isn't relevant to the movie (which doesn't even say the word "Suk"), but there's fan headcanon out there that since Wanna is Bene Geserit it's actually her control over him that overcame the Suk conditioning, and that was how Piter got in.

Or to put it more simply,

That's what I'm sayin'! Men don't love Bene Gesserit women like other women, they are loved like some sort of a sea anemone .. with rockin' tits.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So wanna was an agent like Jessica

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ithle01 posted:

That's what I'm sayin'! Men don't love Bene Gesserit women like other women, they are loved like some sort of a sea anemone .. with rockin' tits.
More proof that Dune is anime.

Someone should've told Frank that :chast2b:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Ulf fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 25, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

euphronius posted:

So wanna was an agent like Jessica

Yeah she was a bene gesserit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah but I never considered she was like working at a job

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The weird clocking sound in the barons back anti gravity thing was spocky

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel like they did my girl Alia dirty in the second book. Falling out with your own close family is so sad. Makes the tone feel darker than the first book, and it never lets up for the entire rest of the series.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm bummed we'll never get to movies with the Honored Matres.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
There's enough sex in it HBO might pick it up

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

More proof that Dune is anime.

Someone should've told Frank that :chast2b:

Hwi is a literal anime waifu whose dilemma is that she cannot consummate her love for her 3300 year old virgin teenage boy friend who is also a giant monster penis. Yeah, not only is Dune anime it is the worst kind of anime, it's multiple awful forms of anime rolled together into one.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

idk, i think they pretty much got the idea that leto is willing to risk saving his men and prioritizes them above money (or, cynically, thinks its good to be seen doing that); its just paul having the first onset of his visions that messes it up

Why doesn't the crew just ride on the carryall?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

this point that Duke Atreides is morale and good is honestly pretty irrelevant to the story. Dude dies in like the next scene and his little governorship is over.

Lol they are all fascist nobles and insane zealots. There's no morale in this sci-fi dream.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/comrade_chad_/status/1452636385178013705

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dude better sell some pizzas inspired by Dune.

1 layer of cinnamon
1 layer of cumin

(it's inedible)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Dude better sell some pizzas inspired by Dune.

1 layer of cinnamon
1 layer of cumin

(it's inedible)

Cumin deez nuts

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Bloop posted:

I actually forgot to mention this. I don't remember the Suk having any special powers in the book but I don't think it described the examination at all and I liked that they gave them something similar but different to what the bene gesserit and what the mentats do

He was reading Paul's vitals like a vulcan

Yeah, I loved that element and it was a neat little :aaa: moment when I realized what he was doing because it fits in so perfectly with the rest of the setting. "Holy poo poo, Suks are basically medical mentats!"

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm bummed we'll never get to movies with the Honored Matres.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

There's enough sex in it HBO might pick it up

I had that exact thought at one point, there's no way to make PG-13 versions of the Horny Sequels that are anywhere near as faithful to the source material.

That said, and this may earn me a trip to the pain amplifier... I don't really feel like the sequels need to be made into movies. Like, I appreciate DUNC for putting this weird-rear end universe into a very well executed visual format. But the sequels, especially the Horny Sequels (GEoD and onward), wouldn't really tread any new ground with the visual aesthetic, or they focus more on the political and interpersonal machinations of the characters that don't benefit much from a film adaptation.

I mean sure, it would be great to see Benedict Cumberbatch or whoever monologuing as a giant penis worm, but OG Dune lends itself a lot better to being a straightforward plot and adaptation than any of the sequels.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
James Spader as the worm

If I'm going to hear someone just verbally masturbate for three hours I want it to be him

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If the second movie doesn’t have a scene with the Fremen riding a worm while Quad City DJs “C'mon N' Ride It” is blasting, I’m going to be very unhappy

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ithle01 posted:

Hwi is a literal anime waifu whose dilemma is that she cannot consummate her love for her 3300 year old virgin teenage boy friend who is also a giant monster penis. Yeah, not only is Dune anime it is the worst kind of anime, it's multiple awful forms of anime rolled together into one.
I meant that the first book is also anime, but yeah GEoD is too much anime.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Alia... Falling out

Hehehe

The Bloop posted:

James Spader as the worm

If I'm going to hear someone just verbally masturbate for three hours I want it to be him

David Spade as the prosthetic dick

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vampire Panties posted:

Jessica did not know what she was doing. She thought it was cute that the Fremen used the term RM,

quote:

Pass within, she thought. An odd way of putting it. But the rest of it fitted into the cant well enough. And she felt a cynical bitterness at what she had done. Our Missionaria Protectiva seldom fails. A place was prepared for us in this wilderness. The prayer of the salat has carved out our hiding place. Now . . . I must play the part of Auliya, the Friend of God . . . Sayyadina to rogue peoples who've been so heavily imprinted with our Bene Gesserit soothsay they even call their chief priestesses Reverend Mothers.

She also doesn't know what the ritual is to become a Fremen RM (or indeed a BG RM, that they all use the spice is a retcon in the future books), just that it's potentially dangerous

quote:

The stuff in the sack had a bitter smell subtly akin to many poisons that she knew, but unlike them, too.
"You must drink it now," Chani said.
There's no turning back, Jessica reminded herself. But nothing in all her Bene Gesserit training came into her mind to help her through this instant.
What is it? Jessica asked, herself. Liquor? A drug?
She bent over the spout, smelled the esters of cinnamon, remembering then the drunkenness of Duncan Idaho. Spice liquor? she asked herself.