Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gbs but from 2004 posted:

I loving hated the grand nagus episodes of ds9. So much annoying screeching from that dude

This is absolutely inconceivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Baronjutter posted:

This is absolutely inconceivable.

It might just be me. I also can’t stand watching Kristen a Hal’s in anything cos i find her voice so loving annoying

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

They are elves, so whatever elves do is fine. Generally mature at about the same rate as human children, I think? But then adults don't take you seriously for decades because you have no life experience. And good luck getting promoted, your great grandparents haven't retired yet, so you'll be stuck in an entry level job for the next 50 years.

You just described millennials.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gbs but from 2004 posted:

It might just be me. I also can’t stand watching Kristen a Hal’s in anything cos i find her voice so loving annoying

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

swickles posted:

There average lifespan is just north of 200, so 100 would be middle aged, but I don't know how long it takes to reach maturity, like would a 20 year old Vulcan have the same development as a 14 year old human or be just like a 20 year old human.

my money is they mature as fast or faster than humans. Just using the ocampa as an example, but that's also the creepiest alien species they ever made for trek

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Christ this hiatus has been beyond brutal, it's gotten to the point where either I just don't give a poo poo anymore, or I've convinced myself I don't give a poo poo as a defense mechanism.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Christ this hiatus has been beyond brutal, it's gotten to the point where either I just don't give a poo poo anymore, or I've convinced myself I don't give a poo poo as a defense mechanism.

Rewatch it while you read the forums. It holds up to several rewatches. When an episode you don't particularly like is up you'll find you just post more. I like that it exists as is. More is better, but what we have is great already.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Senor Tron posted:

For a long time I thought the first couple of seasons of Voyager were the best (and they still do in many ways feel like they do the premise more justice than the later ones).

However in the past 18 months I've found myself watching bits and pieces of Voyager and am appreciating it a lot more. At the time it felt like the lack of consequences and continuity and stakes were a stale relic of outdated TV making, but the grimdark style of the last decade+ means it feels light and fun comes with a sense of nostalgia I'm loving.

As much as the show frustrates me from the wasted premise, it has aged pretty well. I wish they would go back and do HD transfers of both DS9 and Voyager. Even DVDs would benefit from losing the tape fuzziness.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The gap between Orville S2 and S3 will be longer than Family Guy was cancelled.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

pixaal posted:

The best episodes of DS9 are Quark episodes.

People actually liked ferengi? They are like a cross between Evoks and JarJar.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MikusR posted:

Ferengi in TNG were embarrassingly bad, but DS9 made them more believable.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TNG they are a touch offensive. Really Quark is just a great character and not typical. A bit like how Worf does a lot to change the Klingon.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’d argue that Rom and Nog are also great characters with great arcs, Nog especially.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MikusR posted:

The arc of watching DS9 starts with dreading Ferengi episodes and ends with looking forward to them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nog has the most complete and dramatic character arc of anyone on any Trek by a lot

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Nog has the most complete and dramatic character arc of anyone on any Trek by a lot
For real. It's not close.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rom starts out as a sniveling sexist petty criminal desperately trying to be half as successful at petty capitalism as his older brother, and ends up a Marx quoting feminist.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Peak Ferengi is Quark out logicing a Vulcan using The Rules of Acquisition on how to make peace.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

BexGu posted:

Peak Ferengi is Quark out logicing a Vulcan using The Rules of Acquisition on how to make peace.

Quark using forensic accounting/being a drat good shady business man to save one Klingon house while destroying their enemies has to be a close second.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Khanstant posted:

my money is they mature as fast or faster than humans. Just using the ocampa as an example, but that's also the creepiest alien species they ever made for trek

I really liked the idea of the ocampa and its yet another crime of voyager they didn't explore them more. Sure theres a weird sort of "dating a 2 year old" thing, but I think the massively reduced age makes it WAY less creepy than if the ocampa maturity was like, 9 years old and they lived to like 20.

Their tiny life spans of 10 years would have been a fascinating thing to explore, since we're so used to klingons, vulcans, every sci fi race always living these long extended lives beyond humans (and even the humans living to 150 in trek), that dealing with a character that would effectively age to death over the course of the 7 seasons of the show and how they feel about being surrounded by all these seemingly ageless creatures would be neat.

Instead the only lasting legacy of this intriguing sci fi concept was "lol neelix is dating a 2 year old". God drat voyager.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tom Guycot posted:

Instead the only lasting legacy of this intriguing sci fi concept was "lol neelix is dating a 2 year old". God drat voyager.

Don't forget the "I can only get pregnant once in my entire life so ONE OF YOU ASSHOLES NEEDS TO gently caress ME NOW!" episode.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't understand how that species exists when they can only have 1 baby in their lifetimes. Do they always have a litter of 2-3?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand how that species exists when they can only have 1 baby in their lifetimes. Do they always have a litter of 2-3?

Yeah somebody didn't think that part through very well. Kes only had one

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think it'd be kinda funny if they went the opposite way at some point. Have a species that lives to 1000, one dates a human, and gets tons of poo poo from their people for dating someone that isn't even 200 yet.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I really wish Kes had been around for the full run of Voyager, although it's hard to imagine them bothering with full aging makeup for every episode so I imagine they would have extended her lifespan at some point.

Don't think we needed any more exploration of relationship age differences though, the :aatrek: types are already encouraged enough.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

As obvious as it is that different species will likely have different life spans, in practice you need a good reason or it comes off creepy if they aren't reasonably close.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It comes off creepy if they ARE reasonably close too. A 21 year old human marrying a 21 year old Vulcan is not culturally reasonable just because their ages are the same

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

It comes off creepy if they ARE reasonably close too. A 21 year old human marrying a 21 year old Vulcan is not culturally reasonable just because their ages are the same

That's tragic as hell. Vulcan dude is gonna be widowed when he's middle-aged. Maybe left with some mayfly lifespan children to mourn too.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's tragic as hell. Vulcan dude is gonna be widowed when he's middle-aged. Maybe left with some mayfly lifespan children to mourn too.

Reminds me of one NPC conversation in Mass Effect 2. Aging salarian (40 year lifespan) husband of an asari (1000 year lifespan) shopping with his stepdaughter (older than he is) for something for his wife to eventually remember him by.

Asari live longer than almost any other race in the setting and since their reproduction relies on psychic link rather than exchange of genes they prefer other species. So they're used to it. Actually another one was proposed to by someone from a species that was similarly long-lived and was anxious about how long a commitment it was to have a spouse that won't die in a few decades.

Killer robot fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 26, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I was meaning the life spans need to be close not their ages. Then their ages should be close.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

MikusR posted:

I hated them until my second ds9 watch where I just learned to love the bomb.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I thought I would never like DS9 as soon as it was established that a Ferengi would be a main character.

Then DS9 made the Ferengi cool.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DS9 made the Ferengi act normal and sensible, for the most part. Annoying voices and ugly, but they weren't random morons like in TNG

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

DS9 made the Ferengi act normal and sensible, for the most part. Annoying voices and ugly, but they weren't random morons like in TNG

Voices? Only Wallace Shawn was even "doing a voice"

I guess Rom maybe?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Voices? Only Wallace Shawn was even "doing a voice"

I guess Rom maybe?

Definitely Rom. HUH DUHHHH

But I'm not so sure, I feel like Quark and Nog had a bit of a nasally thing going on, even if it was way closer to normal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Rom's characterization has nothing to do with him being Ferengi, though

I do realize that wasn't explicitly the claim

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

No the claim was the Ferengi on DS9 have annoying voices and I think they do

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Wallace Shawn actually sounds like that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

What's wrose is they never even tried to conceptualize what that short lifespan would mean. Like, she just inexplicably hd the knowledge, education, emotional intelligence, and all this other poo poo that takes beings years of growing up to learn, countless interactions with others, school, etc.

Like there's a lot of potential interesting tension when an adult body with a 2-year-old-mind comes up with ideas or tries to interact or understand the world. I Think You Should Leave has a skit where Tim is yelled at someone accusing him of not knowing how to drive and he screams" I don't! I don't know how to drive and I'm fucknig scared, I don't know what any of this poo poo IS!!!" That should've been Kes like half the time. Instead Kes was like, oh sure, I know how to do this specific work you spent years learning the basic of.

The Bloop posted:

While this is a tragic relationship, like a human and an elf hooking up, age-wise it feels pretty fine? AFAIK Vulcans more or less mature through our adult or final juvenile ape forms in about the same timeframe as humans. 21 years is not a lot of time, anyone 26 or old should stay the gently caress away, but for two 21 years old they've had enough life experience it's fine if they wanna date one another.

Where it gets muddy or confusing to me is the opposite, like, is it okay for a 185 year old vulcan to date a 60/70/80 year old human? I think that's tougher because humans are kind of on a curve that deteriorates near the end. Like imagine both how unbearable a 200 year old human would be to interact with and worse imagine what their health must be like. Oldass Vulcans seem to be pretty healthy and young in comparison, they don't seem to go senile or suffer the same risks and problems old humans seem to get. Trek magic tech might take care of some of the old human maladies and extend that lifespan, but it's hard for me to imagine a 200 year old human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean with humans it's really, let adults do what they want and mind your own business.

Yeah a 25 and 50 year old together may make you feel weird but we've decided they're both adults so deal with it

I use 25 specifically because although the adult line is a moving target depending on the culture, that's clearly over it.

It gets weird thinking about interspecies relationships in sci-fi that have different ideas about majority, consent, legality, morality, etc

If you don't infantalize and basically conquer the entire Ocampa culture for being run by literal children with no adult supervision, then you also would have to respect their views on when they are adults.

It's probably only sci-fi bullshit, but maybe they're made like leeloo in the fifth element with a lot of knowledge or wisdom genetically coded or something, who knows.

Sadly, it's very difficult to even think about writing that sort of character without accidentally creating weird pedo bait