Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t really see the value in printing like one spell that interacts with them lol. Unless it’s already super above rate and does something else powerful and just incidentally can remove emblems (think Nature’s Claim but it can also target emblem for some reason), nobody is going to even think about playing it. The story of “nothing can stop an emblem!” Is a lot cooler than “nothing can stop an emblem except for this one spell in Crimson Vow.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

DangerDongs posted:

I can't wait to open up the 5 cent rare that removes emblems.

Yeah, for the next 2-3 sets that would be the case, but you know MTG has no discipline. by 2023 you'll be getting:

1W
Choose one
-Destroy target enchantment
-Destroy target emblem

And the game will be fun again.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

DangerDongs posted:

Don't worry they'll buff any "remove emblem" card by also letting you take an extra turn after

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

DangerDongs posted:

I mean, it could be a tacked on line on a board sweeper or versatile targeted removal.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thranguy posted:

I mean, it could be a tacked on line on a board sweeper or versatile targeted removal.

Sure, but what value is there in having those cards available? MTG already has a problem where the coolest cards are almost always overshadowed by cheap, below rate interaction. Is the game really any better if someone puts in the effort to protect and ult a planeswalker (considering that this means they're playing a planeswalker to begin with lol) and then at their end step their opponent just uses a modal removal spell to get rid of it?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

I don’t really see the value in printing like one spell that interacts with them lol. Unless it’s already super above rate and does something else powerful and just incidentally can remove emblems (think Nature’s Claim but it can also target emblem for some reason), nobody is going to even think about playing it. The story of “nothing can stop an emblem!” Is a lot cooler than “nothing can stop an emblem except for this one spell in Crimson Vow.”

Itd be real dumb, but i bet it will happen

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

If it's emblem removal my called shot is an ETB on a creature that is otherwise way overcosted and will be unplayable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

• A new artifact token, along the lines of Clue, Food and Treasure

This one kind of has me interested. We already have cards, life and mana. Something that cracks to mill?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
So what's left in the design space for artifact tokens? Hard to think of anything else simple enough, other than maybe creature interactions, like a floating +1/+1 counter or self bounce or unblockability

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Crack to scry seems a bit too simple, but I could see it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

fadam posted:

• A new artifact token, along the lines of Clue, Food and Treasure

This one kind of has me interested. We already have cards, life and mana. Something that cracks to mill?

I think the three existing tokens are the only ones that can be balanced and fun. They all help the player just slightly without directly affecting the opponent, which is why they can be printed as keywords.

Anything that would deal damage, cause discard, or anything else directly affecting the opponent would not be fun for keyworded, easily generated artifact token.

So hopefully it is mill. Or maybe untap. Or put a +1/+1 counter on a creature. After that, I don't think there is anything they can do that wouldn't be immensely unfun.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Make Rock tokens evergreen:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Take an extra turn token :getin:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Arivia posted:

love the card flavour, hate the cost. get rid of {2} in the mana cost, or the {R} in the activated ability imo

Needs the mana in the activated cost because it's 2 damage. An instant speed mana-free shock at any time would be fuuuucked.

Goblin Bombardment is an awkward card to iterate on in general because historically sacrificing creatures at no mana cost is kinda good, and doing damage with the sac outlet is probably too good with modern creature design and power. But make it cost anything else and it becomes instant garbage, as Barrage of Expendables demonstrates.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know there are cards that remove all creature types from a card but are there cards that remove one specific creature type? The thing that’s being removed that’s never been removed before could be an effect that removes werewolf or vampire creature types from a card as flavour.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fadam posted:

I know there are cards that remove all creature types from a card but are there cards that remove one specific creature type? The thing that’s being removed that’s never been removed before could be an effect that removes werewolf or vampire creature types from a card as flavour.

A bunch of classic cards make Walls no longer Walls. (They date back to when being a Wall was what made something unable to attack - now they both remove Defender and make it not a Wall).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Needs the mana in the activated cost because it's 2 damage. An instant speed mana-free shock at any time would be fuuuucked.

Goblin Bombardment is an awkward card to iterate on in general because historically sacrificing creatures at no mana cost is kinda good, and doing damage with the sac outlet is probably too good with modern creature design and power. But make it cost anything else and it becomes instant garbage, as Barrage of Expendables demonstrates.

Barrage of Expendables fits the other thing I said, though. Zombiepult would be okay at R without any change to the ability itself. (At least in Limited)

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

HootTheOwl posted:

A marriage mechanic that Is part Meld, part Soul bond.
The two characters are getting married into one card.

BFM style DFC’s where you combine them into one!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

According to Lore Professionals the two characters on one card is probably whoever is getting married, Thalia and Odric (this would be sick but I’m hoping for sexy vampire Thalia personally) or Alena and Halana, a pair of “sister” on two cards I’d never seen or heard of before. It could also be Gitrog and Craterhoof.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 25, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Has something like "Target artifact creature is no longer an artifact" been done before?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What about removing the ability for a card to transform. Has that been done before

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

According to Lore Professionals the two characters on one card is probably whoever is getting married, Thalia and Odric (this would be sick but I’m hoping for sexy vampire Thalia personally) or Alena and Halana, a pair of sisters on two cards I’d never seen or heard of before. It could also be Gitrog and Craterhoof.

yes, 'sisters'

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

fadam posted:

According to Lore Professionals the two characters on one card is probably whoever is getting married, Thalia and Odric (this would be sick but I’m hoping for sexy vampire Thalia personally) or Alena and Halana, a pair of sisters on two cards I’d never seen or heard of before. It could also be Gitrog and Craterhoof.

Oh I forgot about Alena and Halana, they seem the safe bet for the pair up card. Though they're not sisters, they're life long roommates, to use the furthest term WoTC is willing to take.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arivia posted:

love the card flavour, hate the cost. get rid of {2} in the mana cost, or the {R} in the activated ability imo

I think a strictly better bombardment would be too good for a number of formats.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Oh cool, post edited.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What about removing the ability for a card to transform. Has that been done before

Immerwolf

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

fadam posted:

According to Lore Professionals the two characters on one card is probably whoever is getting married, Thalia and Odric (this would be sick but I’m hoping for sexy vampire Thalia personally) or Alena and Halana, a pair of “sister” on two cards I’d never seen or heard of before. It could also be Gitrog and Craterhoof.

Are we calling the new power couple Giterhoof or Craterog?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Maro posted:

Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:
• Creature – Human Ranger Werewolf
• Creature – Angel Soldier
• Creature – Zombie Scorpion
• Creature – Serpent Egg
• Creature – Eye Horror
• Legendary Creature – Human Peasant
• Legendary Creature – Spirit Warlock
• Legendary Creature – Slug Horror
• Legendary Creature – Kraken Horror
• Legendary Creature – Vampire Noble (two new ones)

Such a lack of imagination. Where's our Slug Peasants and Human Egg Warlocks? Kraken Werewolf Soldiers?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Presenting: the wedding of Squee and Liliana Vess

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

bagrada posted:

Such a lack of imagination. Where's our Slug Peasants and Human Egg Warlocks? Kraken Werewolf Soldiers?

They just printed all of these in kaldheim, why would they do them again so soon?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

There was some side story about how a woman who wore the mask in Hedgewitch's Mask

who was possessed by Saryth and began dumping human bodies into large eggs or something so I'm guessing that's where the Serpent Egg is going to come from? Maybe?

Also since Saryth is dead.. maybe she is the Legendary Spirit Warlock.
Edit: Oh just realized Katilda is also a Warlock. So probably her instead.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Thranguy posted:

So what's left in the design space for artifact tokens? Hard to think of anything else simple enough, other than maybe creature interactions, like a floating +1/+1 counter or self bounce or unblockability

I like the +1/+1 counter idea, it could give some reactivity to otherwise totally linear creature decks.

Food, treasure, and clue give you a unit of almost all the basic resources in the game. So I'll guess the new one gives board presence: a "Mercenary" token with 2, sac: create two 1/1 soldier tokens. Would probably have to be sorcery speed only.

Now that I think about it though, food, treasure and clue are like miniature versions of the alpha boons, in which case a ping or counter/stat buff are more likely.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Vampire wedding food gives +1/+1 counters

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
crack a token to add loyalty to a planeswalker?

e: maybe "add a +1/+1 counter or add 1 loyalty" so that its not completely dead in limited

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Crack a token to force target player to eat a bug

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
crack a token, proliferate

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Has something like "Target artifact creature is no longer an artifact" been done before?

Oko does this, technically.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

A blood artifact that takes 2 to crack and adds a +1+1 counter makes as much sense as a food artifact but less sense than a clue artifact.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Reddit seems to think the faction mechanic returning is Spectacle which makes a lot of sense to me since almost all the vampires in MID had special effects if an opponent lost life in the turn when they entered the battlefield.