Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My issue with audiobooks is that like the only time they're "good" for me to listen to them is when I'm driving... But then I'm just focused on the road and zone out to the book :shrug:

If I'm home I'm on my PC /gaming. And audiobooks aren't good for programming when I'm on the clock, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Get yourself some good podcast games imo

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I can never pay attention to audiobooks, if I'm doing something else then inevitably I'll zone out and need to rewind it constantly and if I'm just gonna sit still and listen I'd rather just read the words myself. I read pretty quickly so I'm nuts about long series, I've probably read this one 3 or 4 times through

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I commute by transit, so my commute is longer than if I had a car, and requires less attention. At home, it's good background entertainment when doing household chores.

Rarity posted:

Get yourself some good podcast games imo
Also, this. There are a lot of games I'll play while listening. They just have to be games that don't engage the lexical part of my brain, and which I don't have to constantly pay close attention to. Turn-based strategy, or something like real-time-with-pause strategy (I'm thinking of Stellaris), is great for that.

But also, I respect the issue of tuning out background speech automatically, even if I don't normally do it myself. Sometimes things just don't click for people.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

To me the audiobooks are the best way to experience the series. Seeing they are putting out Eye of the World with a new recording with Rosamund Pike had me pretty nervous but the old recordings are still going to be for sale as well. Michael Kramer and Kate Reading can’t be topped.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Wheel of Time audiobooks are pretty much the gold standard by which other audiobooks can be judged.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The Wheel of Time audiobooks are pretty much the gold standard by which other audiobooks can be judged.

I don't know, have you heard the Dune one that has a full cast? It's amazing.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'm a big fan of the Discworld audiobooks narrated by Stephen Briggs. edit: His Good Omens is fantastic.

Haven't listened to the full cast Dune yet. Been rereading it as an ebook on my phone.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Vavrek posted:

I commute by transit, so my commute is longer than if I had a car, and requires less attention. At home, it's good background entertainment when doing household chores.

I spend a lot of time in front of a computer, so I try to go for a walk for an hour or two every day or at least a few times a week. Which I find is a great time to listen to podcasts or audiobooks, as well as when playing a game. I play games like Picross a lot on my Switch for an hour or so before I go to sleep too, and I listen to one of them a good bit while doing that.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

I don't know, have you heard the Dune one that has a full cast? It's amazing.

Speaking of, I was really hesistant when I heard they were doing an audio version of Sandman but that's really drat good too. The casting is amazing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vavrek posted:

I'm a big fan of the Discworld audiobooks narrated by Stephen Briggs. edit: His Good Omens is fantastic.

Yeah, Briggsy's audiobooks are the definitive Discworld readings. Bollocks to the ones Nigel Planer did - they're OK, but nowhere near as good.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I really wish Stephen Briggs would record the first half of the Discworld catalog. I would love to hear his version of Feet of Clay.

Oh poo poo, this is the Wheel of Time TV thread.

I've never read the books - too intimidated by the sheer amount of them - so I'll be going into this almost entirely fresh.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Soysaucebeast posted:

Speaking of, I was really hesistant when I heard they were doing an audio version of Sandman but that's really drat good too. The casting is amazing.

ohhhh heck yeah, I actually somehow forgot all about that and i just listened to last month lol.

discworld ones are good too, yeas

The Baroque Cycle narrator is just one dude but he does so many good accents and voices it's truly nuts

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fighting Trousers posted:

I really wish Stephen Briggs would record the first half of the Discworld catalog. I would love to hear his version of Feet of Clay.

Oh poo poo, this is the Wheel of Time TV thread.

I've never read the books - too intimidated by the sheer amount of them - so I'll be going into this almost entirely fresh.

Oh my god I can't wait. I hope we have more people seeing this fresh, too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

My problem with audiobooks is that I used to listen to them all the time when I had an hour commute to and from work. But now I got a work from home job and have no time to listen.

I'm also crazy behind on my podcasts.

Soysaucebeast posted:

How does that work? Sandman is a graphic novel, right? (I admit I don't really understand Sandman.) Is there a novel version I can read, or just the audio version and the graphic novel version?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

My problem with audiobooks is that I used to listen to them all the time when I had an hour commute to and from work. But now I got a work from home job and have no time to listen.

I'm also crazy behind on my podcasts.

How does that work? Sandman is a graphic novel, right? (I admit I don't really understand Sandman.) Is there a novel version I can read, or just the audio version and the graphic novel version?

Just the graphic novel - it was originally a comic serialised over 76 issues. But the story is very dense and narrative driven, which is why it also works as an audio play.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jedit posted:

Just the graphic novel - it was originally a comic serialised over 76 issues. But the story is very dense and narrative driven, which is why it also works as an audio play.

Yeah, they do it straight up as a old school radio play so you get sound effects and background noise and everything. They added some narration by Neil Gaiman here and there when needed, but it's not as often as you'd think. I was worried that there was going to be a lot lost in translation going from a visual medium to an audio one, but it's surprisingly good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yeah, they do it straight up as a old school radio play so you get sound effects and background noise and everything. They added some narration by Neil Gaiman here and there when needed, but it's not as often as you'd think. I was worried that there was going to be a lot lost in translation going from a visual medium to an audio one, but it's surprisingly good.

I might have to check this out, and make the time for it. Sounds pretty fun.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
One-billion-part 1981 BBC radio adaptation of LOTR with Iain Holm as Frodo and Bill Nighy as Sam, FTW.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

El Grillo posted:

One-billion-part 1981 BBC radio adaptation of LOTR with Iain Holm as Frodo and Bill Nighy as Sam, FTW.

We had this on a cassette collection when I was young, the box was as long as my arm WAIT THAT WAS BILL NIGHY???

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

El Grillo posted:

I remember listening to that on the radio, then reading the book for the first time afterwards. It was very good.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

We had this on a cassette collection when I was young, the box was as long as my arm WAIT THAT WAS BILL NIGHY???
I know. It is unfathomable if you listen to it. But it was him

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
The Aubrey-Maturin novels read by Patrick Tull are fantastic, you can tell by the voices he uses that he really gets the characters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Amazon has a new interactive page up for the show. There's a map!

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Time-Season-1/dp/B09F59CZ7R

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

drat. That map and timeline is actually super cool.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Am I missing a button or something? All I see is the teaser trailer and that Moiraine short that released a few days ago

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CainsDescendant posted:

Am I missing a button or something? All I see is the teaser trailer and that Moiraine short that released a few days ago

Make sure you're logged into Amazon Prime. Then you can scroll down and see a picture of Tar Valon with "Your Journey Begins...." Keep scrolling and you'll get to the character bios, the map, and the timeline.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Weird, I'm definitely logged into prime but I'm just seeing the same show page that I've been seeing. I'll look into it

Edit: other people have reported issues viewing the new stuff in Chrome, it's probably getting rolled out piecemeal or something. Viewing it in Edge worked fine.

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 26, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Reminds me of Rand on the cover of Fires of Heaven

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

No idea what to do with his hands.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The shot of the grown-over skyscrapers on the Breaking Of The World entry on the timeline is so neat. Its nothing you haven't seen in a million distopian future scifi shows, but seeing it in a show that otherwise presents itself as a to-the-hilt fantasy epic hits different.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Hell yeah lets get weirdly gender essentialist and put a paper thin veneer over the authors desire to be stepped on by a sister figure

Actually no don’t

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hell yeah lets get weirdly gender essentialist and put a paper thin veneer over the authors desire to be stepped on by a sister figure

Actually no don’t

:dafuq:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

The shot of the grown-over skyscrapers on the Breaking Of The World entry on the timeline is so neat. Its nothing you haven't seen in a million distopian future scifi shows, but seeing it in a show that otherwise presents itself as a to-the-hilt fantasy epic hits different.

Oh nice. I stopped at the map, didn't realize there was a timeline there lower.

I like how the timeline just changes calendars/dating systems without mentioning it.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Sab669 posted:

Lol

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Actually no don’t

Spanked, not stepped on.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Actually no don’t

I know you're just lazy trolling but if you check the OP I did point out that the series unfortunately relies on gender essentialism in a heavy way and we're hoping the show runner and writers can provide a less 90s take on gender issues.

But don't kink shame, let dead man enjoy his spankings and arms folded under breasts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I know you're just lazy trolling but if you check the OP I did point out that the series unfortunately relies on gender essentialism in a heavy way and we're hoping the show runner and writers can provide a less 90s take on gender issues.

The show already seems to be doing that. The biggest change we've seen in the promos is that Moiraine considers it possible that Egwene might be the Dragon, which means souls can switch genders on rebirth, which right there already is opening things up dramatically. I expect we'll see a lot more in that vein, which is great.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 26, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Actually no don’t

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It would be cool if lazy trolling to prompt spoilers everywhere was kept out of the TV thread imo.