Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

multijoe posted:

going to expend my (1) posting in this thread token to say: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kaedric posted:

This poster and all posters saying the same thing are literally the exact problem with D&D, just a heads up. Just an unslakeable thirst to punish those with wrongthink.

Also a big megalol that I could tell you exactly who would be asking for this before I even opened the thread.

No one has ever been forumbanned for "wrongthink" theyve been banned for being assholes over prolonged periods of time. The fact people continue to pretend people only get probed for hating the Dems or whatever
Is why discourse has been ruined in DnD

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
As a reminder if you limit feedback threads to "this will only be open a few days" or "1 post per person"

you don't care about feedback in any real way.

A take that will be borne out by few or zero changes being made based on this thread.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

No one has ever been forumbanned for "wrongthink" theyve been banned for being assholes over prolonged periods of time. The fact people continue to pretend people only get probed for hating the Dems or whatever
Is why discourse has been ruined in DnD

What makes those people assholes exactly?

Is it that they post things you don't agree with?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Kavros posted:

This thread has come too early for me to provide my own complete thoughts on the subject, because this issue is complicated and laughably weird to even want to deal with in the first place. I can still type out a poo poo ton of words about the subject on the spot, so I'll do the best with what I've thought out so far.

I really want anyone attempting to reform or stabilize D&D to remember two things above all else — and even if you already totally know these things, it's probably a good idea to keep it up in front in your mind to help with pushing through the decisions that require the most effort or long-term consistency.

_

1. The metadebate about D&D and what to do with it is never going to have a crowdpleaser answer, and you will have incredibly livid detractors even if you are making the best available choices at the time, and

2. Pursuant to (1), your goal is ultimately to displease and drive away the correct people, and their adamant displeasure will be incidental evidence that what you are doing is working.

_

There's going to be work in consistently identifying what kinds of "contributions" (and all related pseudoadvocacy invented to insist and/or gloat that you're ruining D&D by not letting their toxicity run rampant) genuinely make the forum a worse terrible super crazier place and ensure continued years of the subforum's deserved infamy. And here I'm not even really talking about the people who are obviously unwell enough like msdos or ymb or caps lock broken that they forced the expansion of stronger ban methodology, ramps, and conclusive exclusion and an effective mitigation of their direct influence on the forums through full forumbans — but in hindsight and with observation of how they responded to their forumbans, you can say it did go a long way towards capping most of the most toxic, most insanely pathological, most pervasively negative elements. And this shouldn't have even been the case; like threadbans, they were, according to the oral lore of the forums, mostly started or initially engaged upon as a tortured stopgap implementation related to a larger issue involving admin noninvolvement or incomplete investment and understanding of the condition here.

Anyway, so. The first half of the equation was that it was ultimately important to do that, but the second and much harder question is what you do to keep that from having to be necessary most of the time — what process to use for maintaining the rest of the userbase so that you don't stricture and ossify the forum or create some actually powerfully lame fairweather 'decorum' incentivization

What I tend to do just as a regular poster is identify other posters who, whether I disagree with them or not, trend away from obsessive or genuinely toxic presence — and, however they choose to contribute and however often, generally make the place either more interesting and funny, or more informative, or both!

Then I guess I tend to track if they're posting more, or posting less, and if they're posting less or they have stopped posting, try to understand why. One particular poster who I ended up using as sort of a bellweather for the current state of the forum for a long time was Deteriorata (sp?) because on whatever subjects he wanted to contribute to, he would be able to consistently participate both in contribution and pushback, and was also entertaining. It's not that I had to be coming from the same political standpoint as him or thinking he's the flawless poster boy of politics posting, it's just that he represents a good example of worthwhile contribution and also being, you know, pithy or not exhausting rather than being a wall-of-words guy, just to explain where I'm coming from with isolating him as a direct example.

If Deteriorata and similar posters were posting more, things were looking good. If they were posting less because the forum environment was just too hilariously broken and stupid, I couldn't disagree with that decision, but it spoke to the level of how much a problem the forum was having.

And in that analysis you'll have the story about what's making the forum better or worse at any given time. The more the beneficial posters post, the more I'm likely to come away from binging a politics thread with either new actually useful information, or at least something that actively made me laugh or feel better about the state of the world, or have some generally good commiseration about that other people tend to care and have cool new information or takes. Either form of positive contribution is a way to have a politics-based community (which is effectively what this place has to be, even if the phrase 'politics-based community' is hives inducing) not be terrible.

Which is hard, because politics is essentially the act of looking at and seeking info about the present global or national condition of dehumanizing neoliberalism, deranged nationalism, factional polarization fueled by the worst possible entities, and related existential threats that have such an impact on people's mental health that most qualified psychological trades still don't know what to even do about it. How are you even supposed to moderate that without wanting to rip your eyes out?

Anyway, politics as the central draw or purpose of a forum? It produces an environment prone to doomposting, negative contribution feedback loops, toxic and obsessive contributions by unwell people who have pathological attachments to certain ideological or axiomatic points and positions that will bombard any unregulated environment with unwell tenacity. And then you either have to deal with it or it just gets worse. This is why there have been so many conspicuous missteps, like the "democrat party" thing, or the fanatically unwinnable issue of how to deal with rhetorical flooding of certain points of (even genuine) advocacy, like what has to be done with the subject of accusations of Biden being a rapist, or the general everything that happened with previous mods who flamed out in tremendously embarrassing fashion because they turned out to be really super stupid in one or more unforgivable ways, resulting in genuinely amazing moments like nazi covert D&D mod counterintel drama. But the less spent on these details the better, because I think this is more about what to do going forward.

This is why I am leery about calls to improve the forum through incentivizing or mandating "effortposting" or to curtail "drive by" posting because I don't think that necessarily makes a forum about politics better. Relief valve posting can be positive and constrained, and sometimes you just want to shoot the poo poo or just slam down some onion byline observation about current issues. I'm pedantic enough on my own, I don't think the forum needs to emulate me further in that regard.

Anyway.

Without any particular support or condemnation for the following posters quoted, I want to offer a cross section of parts of the Athanos thread for moderator feedback that I feel are pertinent enough to continued discussion and feedback here, and nominally worthwhile enough in at least analyzing why they were present as assessments or advice, that I want them to be present and be fresh in everyone's minds as we go through another (hopefully more visibly productive) revisitation of feedback that will hopefully Do Something, Possibly Just Anything.

and last but certainly not least:

_

Anyway, thank you for your time. I do hope to see actual measurable change for D&D in the future; this represents probably the last time I will make a conspicuous effort and put myself out there with any reasonable expectation that something could be done about it, if nothing really visibly changes. I'm not saying this with any hostility or derision, but it's just that ... well, at this point, after this length of time, I think that it's only reasonable to have a cutoff moment where you acknowledge, based on further floundering or inaction or even just the opacity of decisionmaking about what to do with the forum, it's just ... not reasonable to expect things are going to turn out. Or, at very least, it's prudent to not take on the visibility or effort and conclude a low probability of productive change. D&D can certainly power by on mere inertia; it's not in any sort of substantively untenable condition, nor is it the subforum getting in the literal irl news because of ultimately very bad, very obvious issues. It can just chug along.
I'm not actually forumbanned from D&D, or even banned from any of the threads that I know of. I just got tired of posting here because it sucks. Thanks.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
:siren: Rules change based on proposal from That Other Thread:

- One post per combat round is lifted.
- Do not attack other posters. Direct your poo poo to the mods.
- Do not quote other posters. Direct your poo poo to the mods.
- Do not get cute about the previous two.
- As always, do not be an rear end in a top hat.
- Forumbans still apply.
- Updating the OP is too much of a pain in the rear end on the phone, so I'll do it later.
- If this results in a total shitshow, we may alter the rules; "one post per 24 hours" seems plausible but we'll see.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

multijoe posted:

going to expend my (∞) posting in this thread token to say: lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

- please do not do this thanks

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- Forumbans still apply.
- Updating the OP is too much of a pain in the rear end on the phone, so I'll do it later.
- If this results in a total shitshow, we may alter the rules; "one post per 24 hours" seems plausible but we'll see.

You suck

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Actually allow debate and discussion. Disagreeing with sabre rattling propaganda isn't genocide denial, especially when the associated press and US don't even describe what's happening in xinjiang as genocide anymore. (bit hard to with the uyghur population actually growing and their life expectancy and quality of life improving)

Demod Handsome Ralph, CommieGIR and GreyjoyBastard as they're thinskinned liberals that are afraid of different opinions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- Forumbans still apply.

Reopen the grudge thread but make each post in it cost $10, it'd fund the forums for months

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- Forumbans still apply.

Dear mods,

Why do forum bans need to apply if there are already rules about not being an rear end in a top hat and not attacking/quoting other posters? I was under the impression that the forum bans were given due to behavior those posters exhibited when interacting with other members of D&D, which wouldn't be the case in here unless they were breaking one of the aforementioned two other rules.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
The posts that demand we demod anyone currently a mod aren't very interested in discourse and are more interested in badgering people to the point where they leave.

Please take into account who is actually active in D&D vs those that just want to burn it down.

Some of us do like it here

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Given the posters who are furious about DnD moderation, it appears the mods are doing a great job and need to keep up the good work.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Lift all forum bans; I dgaf if it discommodes the useless lot modding this forum, they've shown they can't use that policy tool effectively.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

Actually allow debate and discussion. Disagreeing with sabre rattling propaganda isn't genocide denial, especially when the associated press and US don't even describe what's happening in xinjiang as genocide anymore. (bit hard to with the uyghur population actually growing and their life expectancy and quality of life improving)

my feedback is to keep banning blatant genocide deniers on sight

and also rape apologia while i'm thinking about it

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Change the name of the forum to "Just News, No Arguing." Permaban any post that does not contain a news link or similar. Easy.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Following some of the discussion in QCS I'd like to reiterate and revise my earlier suggestion here:

Rebrand/reboot D&D as a Discussion forum, ditch the notion that it should be a battleground for political debate. Maybe call it Current Events. Potentially make it part of GBS. Waaaay back in the early days of SA, politics chat was actually in GBS. It was spun off into Current Events after 9/11, then Current Events later became Debate and Discussion. I think what most posters want is good discussion of topics. Debate by nature is adversarial, there is one correct answer, and someone must win. In that situation mods are seen to be picking winners and losers based on who gets probed and such. The mod and admin crew need a clear vision for what D&D should become and to shape rules and moderation guidelines around that.

I'm a fan of Cefte's post from the mod nomination thread re: fewer but harsher punishments with more community enforcement. Part of the reason I suggest making Current Events a subforum of GBS is it might attract GBS regulars who wanna discuss politics but don't read D&D or CSPAM. Having a broader community allows people who aren't constantly stewing in politics and news to weigh in and call bullshit when posters of any ideology are saying dumb poo poo or being assholes. A larger, more diverse posting community who aren't necessarily tuned into politics 24/7 would help with building and enforcing community norms.

Posters could still do actual debates if they wanted to, just make a special thread for the topic and enforce whatever narrower rules there. That way posters who want to engage in debate club stuff could have a venue for it.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

my feedback is to keep banning blatant genocide deniers on sight

Same. But also ban those that constantly throw around accusations of genocide denial without any actual proof or an actual genocide in the first place. The Associated Press and US Govt doesn't even describe what is going on in xinjiang as genocide. This is lazy and a perfect example of the thin skinned posters that just call for the mods to make the bad man go away.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Some of us like the arguing when it isn't riddled with absolute dickweeds that can't type without being a prick

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

500 good dogs posted:

Dear mods,

Why do forum bans need to apply if there are already rules about not being an rear end in a top hat and not attacking/quoting other posters? I was under the impression that the forum bans were given due to behavior those posters exhibited when interacting with other members of D&D, which wouldn't be the case in here unless they were breaking one of the aforementioned two other rules.

I did read your post in the other thread about this, and we may abolish that rule tomorrow.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I did read your post in the other thread about this, and we may abolish that rule tomorrow.

Thanks, that thread moves very quickly so I didn't want to assume you found my post amongst all of the noise. I recognize that I don't have all of the pertinent information regarding such forum bans, but it seemed worth considering to me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
weren't forum bans just a response to permabans being impossible to get approved for a while? if someone really just is incompatible with this forum, ban them the ordinary way. after a few reregs where they can't stop doing hateful poo poo, go ahead and take out the trash. if they rereg and post in a non-hateful way, let them be. forum bans seem like a failed policy.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 26, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

1. Bring back posters who've been forum- or thread-banned. Punish those who whine about who should be forum- or thread-banned or just otherwise somehow make them loving shut up about their petty grudges.

2. Stop listening to the jerks organizing reporting swarms offsite. They're transparent as hell in their bizarre overreactive anger from feeding each others' victim mentality and need to be ignored. (See FoS's post on the first page of this thread.)

3. Mods need to stop making non-contextual threats; e.g.: "stop this right now" without citing or quoting the post they're referencing, because then mods use it as an amorphous cudgel to punish ideological enemies.

4. Either apply your rigorous "high-effort posting" requirements across the board or ditch it, instead of mods using it as amorphous cudgel to punish ideological enemies.

5. Define "shitposting," "trolling" & "bad faith" in more explicit terms instead of using them as amorphous cudgels to punish ideological enemies.

6. Stop asking bad mods who would make good mods, which only results in more bad mods. Get rid of the mods who can't be arsed to do any of 2-5 above.

Basically, apply the rules fairly & transparently. This is the metric that should be used in mod selection & retention, as it is across most successful forums on the internet, and across other forums on SA.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 26, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
to reiterate my previous post, the current moderation of dnd is actively smothering the forum into a slow but inevitable death. this will not change with the current moderators in place because if there is one thing they are consistent about, it is a steadfast refusal to alter their habits. Some may not be as bad as others, but as a whole, they have combined to make this subforum the worst posting environment in the entire history of something awful.

the only way to avoid this forums eventual death is to completely remove all the current mods and then pick new ones with zero connection to those mods. things will not get better without doing this because the current mods have zero incentive to stop their corrosive administering of this forum.

also thread/forumbans are a complete and utter disaster of an idea, especially when the current mods are eager to utilize them to remove anyone that challenges them.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Personally I think forum bans are great because they directly shrink the poster-base and are rarely warranted. Gone are the days where celestial scribe and yronic heroism were making GBS threads all over the floor and needed to be shown out, these days forum bans are reserved purely for ideological reasons and it's a great way to steer directly into the iceberg that this forum hit about 2 years ago. It's already taking on water, why not make that gash in the hull a little wider.

Democratic party loyalists lose elections and posters and I am here for it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:siren: Quick rules amendment: "do not quote other posters" is lifted, "do not respond at other posters" replaces it.

It occurs to me that sometimes "i have an idea but other poster said it better" is a perfectly legitimate contribution. no, this is not an invitation to repost the "i am using my one post to post lol" thing

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:siren: Quick rules amendment: "do not quote other posters" is lifted, "do not respond at other posters" replaces it.

It occurs to me that sometimes "i have an idea but other poster said it better" is a perfectly legitimate contribution. no, this is not an invitation to repost the "i am using my one post to post lol" thing

God drat you are such a loving loser

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

camoseven posted:

God drat you are such a loving loser

i have absolutely no idea who you are so this is a weird forums vendetta even by something awful standards

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i have absolutely no idea who you are so this is a weird forums vendetta even by something awful standards

Lol, you are such a caricature.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:dafuq:

That's a pretty vague rule.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I want to clarify: I was not talking directly to GJB, I was directing that comment generally to the thread.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Since the rules of this thread were somehow not considered stifling to discussion just make them DnD rules in general.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Basically, the underlying concept is that I/we don't want people yelling at other posters for their opinions or otherwise sidelining actual, you know, mod feedback.

It seemed like a reasonable alternative to the Slowmode But Slower options.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's really not weird "even by" something awful standards, sorry, people can say mean things to you without it being a "vendetta."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Genocide denial should continue to be a bannable offense. That it only has been in D&D and not forum-wide is pretty appalling.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This thread is pretty much doomed, everyone already got steamed up in the qcs thread and you’re just going to get rehashes of what went on over there and what everyone is mad about now. These feedback threads (here and elsewhere) come too few and far between and has been/is being mishandled now anyway.

At any rate if this weekend hasn’t convinced you that uspol-centric dnd isn’t broken beyond repair I don’t know what to tell you. Make the current events/goplols subforum or cccc thread that the uspol regulars so clearly want and let their mods mod that forum or ik that thread.

I know you’re looking for the One Weird Trick to fix this mess (more threadbans! consistency! media literacy™️! fewer threadbans!) or a mod suggestion but I think in their hearts everyone understands that nothing like that will make any of this better.

Do whatever you want. Make the Auschwitz guy mod. Make all the guys who said Reade was a Russian liar IKs. Forum ban if your posts include a tweet or a link to a non AP/WaPo news source, who gives a poo poo. See you in six months for the next one of these when nothing has changed except that uspol has become more insular and paranoid and even fewer people are coming into dnd because of it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I just want to take this opportunity to deny that there is any genocide going on inside of my body. The germs deserve it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Forumbans were something the admins were actively pushing as a replacement for long probes and bans. The idea was that it was better to deprive a single thread or forum of someone's posting indefinitely than to deprive the entire site of their posting for a couple weeks.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Basically, the underlying concept is that I/we don't want people yelling at other posters for their opinions or otherwise sidelining actual, you know, mod feedback.

It seemed like a reasonable alternative to the Slowmode But Slower options.

I understand what you're trying to do here, GJB, but I don't understand why you think it has literally any chance whatsoever of working. "People yelling at other posters for their opinions" or otherwise sidelining thought-out effortful posts is one of the most popular pastimes in D&D and a major subject of these threads. If it were so easy to one-weird-trick your way into getting a discussion where everyone's nice to each other, we wouldn't need to do it here, because all of D&D would be nice and peaceful already. And changing the rules repeatedly like this just makes it even more laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

these days forum bans are reserved purely for ideological reasons

Give some examples of forum bans that were purely ideological.