Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Scroll down. It's in a new category that sits below unique weapons.

Yeah I remembered that, scrolled down on all categories just to double check still nothing, tried looking through the workbench too instead of arsenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

doctorthefonz posted:

Yeah I remembered that, scrolled down on all categories just to double check still nothing, tried looking through the workbench too instead of arsenal

yeah it's not showing up for me either, guessing it's bugged?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Yeah I even have the skin for it unlocked now lol it was the libertad custom RPD

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Oh and in my search I noticed that I had almost 1k moneda in ubisoft connect rewards, check that poo poo!

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i have liked the various characters more then i thought i would. not all of them are super deep or anything but most of them are fun or likeable.

stupid question. ok so who was the Castro of Yara. so you have castillio senior who is US puppet man and basically Batista, but then he gets executed and Anton basically becomes a prisoner at collective farm or some poo poo, so who takes over during that time. is it the legends of 67? i know the revolutionary government kind of implodes and anton gets elected and goes full MAGA

spinosa I think. the idea from what I can gather is what if Castro ended up being incompetent and the US successfully deposed him and reinstated the old regime

so basically there wasn't a Castro. but they're pretty vague on details to avoid having to take any sort of position

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any particular reason to think the CIA isn't going to come back and go after whatever goverment replaces neo-Castillo?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I also can't equip the new RPD. It might be because I have the store bought RPD I got with my free 300 credits, because I know people had issues with the Moneda Desert Eagle in the first week if they had the Watchdogs one. The new gloves that buff silenced damage seem cool because that is basically every weapon, but it's hard to give up my robohands

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Data mining suggests that almost every gun has a 4 star version with max mod slots that will eventually rotate through Lola's store.

Do you have a link to this? I'd love to find any discussion on late game FC6 stuff but I guess its a bit stifled by how easy the drat game is

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 26, 2021

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I think it's very funny that after their strenuous efforts to avoid committing to anything political in 5 they just went ahead and threw in a tremendously obvious Trump in this one

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mandrel posted:

spinosa I think. the idea from what I can gather is what if Castro ended up being incompetent and the US successfully deposed him and reinstated the old regime

so basically there wasn't a Castro. but they're pretty vague on details to avoid having to take any sort of position

sorta. https://farcry.fandom.com/wiki/Santos_Espinosa

he was never deposed/killed, there was a CIA attempt but he is basically Castro but incompetent. he dies, election is held and Fring takes over.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I think it's very funny that after their strenuous efforts to avoid committing to anything political in 5 they just went ahead and threw in a tremendously obvious Trump in this one

i am ok with it. both watch dogs legion and this are weirdly left leaning in goodish ways, which is a nice comparison to whatever the gently caress 5 was and the cynicism of 4 and 3 and 2. like its not and never would be disco elysium or such, but for a AAA shooter, its pretty ok.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any particular reason to think the CIA isn't going to come back and go after whatever goverment replaces neo-Castillo?

i mean. main revolutionary talks about that. how yeah, if they win and kill him, it will still be a protracted war afterwords with proble foreign backed coups and counter revolutions and how the first president will be dead with in like 5 months. i mean the ending is basicaly you walking away to let the various rebels you helped figure out goverment because you don't want the power and don't want to become a monster because they basically beg you to be interim president. its not a cynicle ending of "they will all kill each other" its just more of a "i have seen enough death and i don't trust myself, you all talk amonst yourselfs and i'll help but i dont want the big chair".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there ever any explanation of what is an Outcast and what makes a True Yaran? Fascist ideologies need an internal group to project all the nations problems on and scapgoat, and i needs to be specific enough that a board section of the population can know it and know they're not part of it. It can't just be the poor, or orphans or whatever, because again, you need to have poor people that you can trick to think they have a chance when all those nasty unwanted people are gone. Also to feed into your military machine, because what are you going to do, send the rich peoples kids to die?

Also i'm kind of sad that i beelined right to the guns because it means I just have the best ones and so i have no reason to not use the best of them. Oh well, I still can't find the drat Mg42 or the regular multiple grenade launcher.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
All the guns are equally op with armour-piercing ammo anyway, it reeally doesn't make a difference what you use, just play around.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

lol, the after credits sequence with the "smuggler"

I love this dumb series.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Is there ever any explanation of what is an Outcast and what makes a True Yaran? Fascist ideologies need an internal group to project all the nations problems on and scapgoat, and i needs to be specific enough that a board section of the population can know it and know they're not part of it. It can't just be the poor, or orphans or whatever, because again, you need to have poor people that you can trick to think they have a chance when all those nasty unwanted people are gone. Also to feed into your military machine, because what are you going to do, send the rich peoples kids to die?

Also i'm kind of sad that i beelined right to the guns because it means I just have the best ones and so i have no reason to not use the best of them. Oh well, I still can't find the drat Mg42 or the regular multiple grenade launcher.

True Yarans support Castillo and his plan to build Paradise. Fake Yarans do not. It's as simple as that.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

no and in fact I'd say it's almost loving certain since Juan is 100% already in their pocket, working behind Clara and your's back, goes rogue in major moments in ways that are completely counterproductive to the movement, and seems to have no distinct ideology whatsoever beyond just being a contract wetwork guy that loves making money doing war in third world countries. that and his constant refrain that "hey you know this isn't going to fix anything"

its very weird that everybody in game basically just goes "oh juan" like he's a fun uncle. he's the most sinister character in the loving story

honestly the ending feels pretty bleak for Yara, with Dani refusing to take the throne. Clara dead, Diego dead, Juan already on the take with the CIA and who knows what other foreign corporate benefactors. Espada, Talia, and Paolo are soldiers and activists, not leaders. Lucky's too old and not interested. It's basically all on Yelena, and it's unclear what kind of loyalty she commands outside of her turf given Clara didn't even know her and La Moral were fighting their own revolution the CIA is going to fold the place up in months

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yelena's going to be dead in six months.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Yelena's going to be dead in six months.

that would be my guess

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought Maximas Matanzas were a circus troupe at first and would have been more satisfied that way, I think.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought it was Maximum Matanzas. Like, the most matanzas you can possibly have.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am ok with it. both watch dogs legion and this are weirdly left leaning in goodish ways, which is a nice comparison to whatever the gently caress 5 was and the cynicism of 4 and 3 and 2. like its not and never would be disco elysium or such, but for a AAA shooter, its pretty ok.

Problem with this kinda wishy-washy messaging is your fans are very stupid.

From that linked wiki

quote:

Santos Espinosa is a reference to the communist dictator of Cuba, Fidel Castro, who led a successful communist revolution against President Fulgencio Batista.

That damned evil dictator Fidel overthrowing poor Batista

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I really wasn't expecting the Vektor to be out of the black market so quickly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ubisoft always likes to deal in the aesthetic of real-world politics, but intentionally never commits to holding any coherent ideology. It's all slightly remixed analogy and stage dressing for the much more personal, much dumber stories of a few radical individuals that tend to dominate their narratives. You can say that choice is in itself ideological, but any deeper analysis usually reveals a deeply confused and unsatisfying thematic core, made interesting only by its multiple contradictions rather than the messaging itself.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sedisp posted:

From that linked wiki

He is very explicitly not a reference to Castro, lmao. In Yara's backstory, there was a prior revolution in the '50s/'60s that resulted in an unnamed form of government (but you can guess they were the communists) that itself eventually got overthrown. Democracy or something happened at some point I guess, and everyone voted in Espinosa, who is the bad president who does bad things. He's called a dictator, but he was literally voted in (Dani mentions voting for him?) and it's not clear how long he's been in power for.

FC6 is what happens when you try to tell a political story while attempting to avoid politics and ideology at all costs. The story is an awful mess best left ignored.

edit: I think I got the names wrong which makes this post kinda dumb but whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 26, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

not really. alot of the true yaran/fake yaran poo poo is just antons weird hosed up brain because his daddy got his brain blown out and because he is weird MAGA type psycho.

Sedisp posted:

From that linked wiki

i mean its a lovely fan wiki and most people now a days outside weird fucks like us and the exile rear end in a top hat community and political boomers, know who EITHER of them are. also he did overthrow him in a revolution. though the revolution was actually justified.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He is very explicitly not a reference to Castro, lmao. In Yara's backstory, there was a prior revolution in the '50s/'60s that resulted in an unnamed form of government (but you can guess they were the communists) that itself eventually got overthrown. Democracy or something happened at some point I guess, and everyone voted in Espinosa, who is the bad president who does bad things. He's called a dictator, but he was literally voted in (Dani mentions voting for him?) and it's not clear how long he's been in power for.

FC6 is what happens when you try to tell a political story while attempting to avoid politics and ideology at all costs. The story is an awful mess best left ignored.

yeah. anton is very very very much a Batista/right wing demagogue type. my view of Santos is he becomes president and because he is basicaly the last dude standing with any real power and because he kills fring senior. he basicaly runs unopposed and basicaly becomes a Bobby Baratheon figure. the "usurper" who won but kinda just rots in his victory and is miserable and incompetent. eventually he dies and elections happen again and fring wins.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean its a lovely fan wiki and most people now a days outside weird fucks like us and the exile rear end in a top hat community and political boomers, know who EITHER of them are. also he did overthrow him in a revolution. though the revolution was actually justified.

Castro wasn't a dictator overthrowing a president he was a revolutionary overthrowing a dictator that's what I meant by fans are kind of stupid.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
In a hypothetical improbable situation where there's only a singular island on the world manufacturing anti-cancer medication, you can be drat sure what governments will be tripping over themselves to have their secret triple letter agencies try to take control and quell revolutions as much as possible. You'd have Blackwater and co running the drat island.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

Do you have a link to this? I'd love to find any discussion on late game FC6 stuff but I guess its a bit stifled by how easy the drat game is

There's an imgur album with most of them here
http://imgur.com/a/6xdeJv4

Basically there's a 4 star Libertad custom version of pretty much every weapon in the game.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009
I started this game and Blowback season 2 at around the same time, and the pairing has been pretty excellent so far. Very recommend.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was running around with my Overclocked vector for a while before I read something that said I needed to build the overclock mod and install it. I had no idea it doesn’t come ready to go.

So, uh, don’t be like me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

In a hypothetical improbable situation where there's only a singular island on the world manufacturing anti-cancer medication, you can be drat sure what governments will be tripping over themselves to have their secret triple letter agencies try to take control and quell revolutions as much as possible. You'd have Blackwater and co running the drat island.

oh i am sure. they basically say that in the game. end game is basicaly you fighting the counter revolution.

Sedisp posted:

Castro wasn't a dictator overthrowing a president he was a revolutionary overthrowing a dictator that's what I meant by fans are kind of stupid.

oh i know. i think its more just bad wording in general though. because moron fan wiki.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

tgacon posted:

I started this game and Blowback season 2 at around the same time, and the pairing has been pretty excellent so far. Very recommend.

Seconded, both seasons of Blowback are excellent

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

tgacon posted:

Lol I did the exact same thing, can't recommend it enough.

Also I'm not quite finished the story yet but I've encountered exactly one very brief comment that the '67 revolution was explicitly communist, though nothing about the ideology of the following government.

You could argue that it's fairly implicitly communist considering the US embargo and overall alignment with the Soviets though. The CIA is even met with a pretty negative reaction from the player character despite funneling weapons to the revolution so that was a nice surprise.

Very mixed and intentionally vague politics overall but no where near as bad as I was expecting.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/BrendanSinclair/status/1452986713098407945

lmfao gently caress off

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

also did anyone else think there was going to be more going on with El Tigre/Lobo? Like while obviously the official line is that he died heroically in combat isn't true, it seemed to be common knowledge among the rebels that El Tigre killed him, based on NPC dialogue, and of course Lucky tells Dani that, which Dani seems to maybe already know?

Then there's that exchange at the bar where those guys are talking to El Tigre and asking him about it and Tigre says something weirdly vague and evasive. And there's a moment where Tigre starts to share something with Dani about Lobo but Dani cuts him off, then of course we never find out anything more.

in retrospect I think it was just ambient dialogue triggering too early inadvertently confusing the narrative, and the twist probably was just that Lobo ended up turning heel and had to be put down, but it being left unsaid made me think that maybe Tigre didn't actually kill him and he was like, that old legend who was rotting in prison screaming at Diego or something

it would've been kind of hack but honestly I think I just want more legends of 67 content. give me a whole game of that playing as Lobo or something

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

games have kind of done this forever. like as far back as doom and Duke 3D would poo poo talk you and call you a pussy for quitting

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's not really the same thing, though.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

You only get these if you opt into marketing e-mails but people gotta rage about something I guess.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it's not offensive or anything. Just another engagement email, you get them from tons of games. This one is just striking a weirder tone than most. It does fit the game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lone Badger posted:

True Yarans support Castillo and his plan to build Paradise. Fake Yarans do not. It's as simple as that.

I guess I shouldn't of expected it to be a deep understanding of Fascist Ideologies and how they create scapegoats out of the more vulnerable groups in a society. But as I said earlier in the thread, some of the stuff that Castillo says in the recorded speeches sound like they would be something Tucker Carlson would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I guess I shouldn't of expected it to be a deep understanding of Fascist Ideologies and how they create scapegoats out of the more vulnerable groups in a society. But as I said earlier in the thread, some of the stuff that Castillo says in the recorded speeches sound like they would be something Tucker Carlson would say.

yeah its not what you would call a very nuanced depiction of fascism. that's why I think it kind of works the best story wise of the series. they all have awful stupid politics, the best thing they can do for the player imo is just stop trying and go broad and simple. it's going to be dumb either way, but 6's approach is much less aggressively obnoxious to the player and jives better with the goofy power fantasy gameplay thing than 3 or 5 where they're grabbing you by the collar and making you look at what bad writers they are constantly

and it doesn't mean you have to go full Just Cause or Blood Dragon silly or whatever, you end up with a better written story with emotional pathos and poo poo when you just let performances and standard storybeats play out