Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

wilderthanmild posted:

There's also the standard advice that you not take a counter offer from your employer when you have a solid offer in hand. It often creates an adversarial relationship going forward and if it took a threat of you leaving for them to do the right thing, are they really worth staying with?

Yeah, the figure I heard is that you stick around for six months tops after retention. I do want to set up my team for success before I leave, so that wouldn't be the worst case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

There's so many red flags for your current place, I would definitely consider leaving. If neither of the two offers are enticing enough to make it an obvious choice, I would keep interviewing until you get one that is an obvious improvement. There's way too many opportunities to consider trying to fix a leaking/sinking ship.

Beatwad
Jun 18, 2005
Not sure what thread I should post this in, but I need some advice. Just for context, my background is that I'm currently a .NET programmer stuck in legacy code hell with a government contractor. It pays decently, I never work OT, and I get along well with the client and my team, so there's no real pressing need to leave.

I received an offer for a fully remote front end position with a consultancy that comes with a 60% salary increase. They wanted me to start a month after the offer, and I accepted and have been waiting to give my two weeks.

Tonight I get an email from the HR coordinator that goes over my role with one of the company's client and is asking me to schedule a meeting this Wednesday with them since the client likes to talk to each consultant individually. They also told me my role is going to be doing "QE Activites" so test design and development, executing the backlog of tests, yadda yadda. I guess there's a breakdown of these activities that the client will go over during this meeting I'm to attend.

I haven't even signed the goddamn on boarding papers yet. Normally, I'd tell them to pound sand (in a polite way) until my actual start date, but I'm getting real pissed off at the thought going into a testing role without knowing it upfront. I interviewed specifically for the front end position and all discussions were based around that. I've also been in a similar job and was miserable in it.

I'm gonna sleep on it but still, if anyone could help give me some perspective or something on what to do, it'd be greatly appreciated. Getting bad vibes here haha.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is this the first offer you've received in your current search? If so, and you're not desperate to get out, it might not be a bad idea to keep looking.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sounds like a headhunter got you a short term QA job

QA is not terrible, but it's a pretty big step down career-wise. As a SWE, I would not accept anything with a 'Q' in the title

Keep looking

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
This is a very good market to be a developer in. You can definitely do better than a consulting place that apparently is willing to contract you out as a QA analyst or whatever. I'd be really worried that I'd be getting all kinds of unrelated computer touching assignments if their very first assignment for me was so unrelated to development. Like your next one might be cleaning up AD. Next your configuring Dynamics CRM. Then you're setting up a MySQL cluster.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh! a dynamic fast paced environment where employees must thrive in ambiguity and challenge the status qu-

*sprays blood from eyes as purple light streams from mouth and withered husk of body begins to writhe and bubble*

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

oh! a dynamic fast paced environment where employees must thrive in ambiguity and challenge the status qu-

*sprays blood from eyes as purple light streams from mouth and withered husk of body begins to writhe and bubble*

not empty quoting

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Beatwad posted:

Not sure what thread I should post this in, but I need some advice. Just for context, my background is that I'm currently a .NET programmer stuck in legacy code hell with a government contractor. It pays decently, I never work OT, and I get along well with the client and my team, so there's no real pressing need to leave.

I received an offer for a fully remote front end position with a consultancy that comes with a 60% salary increase. They wanted me to start a month after the offer, and I accepted and have been waiting to give my two weeks.

Tonight I get an email from the HR coordinator that goes over my role with one of the company's client and is asking me to schedule a meeting this Wednesday with them since the client likes to talk to each consultant individually. They also told me my role is going to be doing "QE Activites" so test design and development, executing the backlog of tests, yadda yadda. I guess there's a breakdown of these activities that the client will go over during this meeting I'm to attend.

I haven't even signed the goddamn on boarding papers yet. Normally, I'd tell them to pound sand (in a polite way) until my actual start date, but I'm getting real pissed off at the thought going into a testing role without knowing it upfront. I interviewed specifically for the front end position and all discussions were based around that. I've also been in a similar job and was miserable in it.

I'm gonna sleep on it but still, if anyone could help give me some perspective or something on what to do, it'd be greatly appreciated. Getting bad vibes here haha.

seems like a clear pass to me. if you do think you're underpaid for your experience with .NET though, it wouldn't hurt to keep applying elsewhere

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Q: Why does our industry suck at quality so badly?

A:

Hadlock posted:

QA is not terrible, but it's a pretty big step down career-wise. As a SWE, I would not accept anything with a 'Q' in the title

But yeah, I wouldn't.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Never found quality bad at the teams I was on at Google but the companies where quality was bad either lacked automation for it or thought they could have separate people build the product and the tests. Some fell in both buckets.

I wouldn't accept a job with Q in the title because it would make me worry it was one of the places where Q is separate from E.

From a higher level, building test infrastructure as an engineer might be cool.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beatwad posted:

They also told me my role is going to be doing "QE Activites" so test design and development, executing the backlog of tests, yadda yadda.

I haven't even signed the goddamn on boarding papers yet.

more red flags than the tiananmen square

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Btw how do folks feel about the Google SRE books as follow-ups to DDIA? Is there anything you feel would be a better fit or more appropriate?

Also thinking of spending time collecting system design examples in different domains (e.g. ai or crypto) but not sure I have good enough general knowledge to pick a specialization to drill into. Or which specialization is likely to get me the most money over the next few years.

In general I wanna upskill as efficiently as possible to satisfy two basic goals:

1. Personal satisfaction of being an actual expert at something

2. Have something that will still increase my career income if my business goals don't pan out

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 26, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you need to upgrade to gettin to eat meat andor vegetables instead of nuts and ramen and not gambling your fuckin money away, how about that

(yeah yeah troll - i choose to participate in this kayfabe)

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Welp looks like that's taken care of. Recruiter just called to let me know I got an offer and I accepted. $265k. Just under the $270-280k I was getting before, so probably the same grant value as before, just lower due to lack of stock appreciation.

Was expecting them to offer me something ridiculously low like $200k.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

* not asking a google recruiter for more stock
* accepting without knowing what the breakdown/initial grant is

bait.gif

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Wait I can ask for more stock without a counteroffer?

And I know the breakdown. First year is 150 salary, 15% bonus (~22), 93 equity.

E: What I don't know is my previous breakdown. Salary was somewhere around 145-150. Total comp at vest was between 270 and 280. But I don't remember what the total value at grant was. So I'm not sure if it's the same value at grant but it seems likely.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 26, 2021

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Achmed Jones posted:

Seriously. Can I get "A stable, deliberate environment where employees can reasonably expect to work on a thing for more than a day before the company's entire strategy changes, and that the things they work on have an outside chance of seeing the light of day?"

Anybody? No? Okay then...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Achmed Jones posted:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Getting to final interviews with a few companies. I hate scheduling these now because my days are so filled with meetings it's hard to find days I can take off or enough non-meeting blocks to accommodate spreading it out without taking days off. Also always fun taking like random Wednesdays off.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Che Delilas posted:

Seriously. Can I get "A stable, deliberate environment where employees can reasonably expect to work on a thing for more than a day before the company's entire strategy changes, and that the things they work on have an outside chance of seeing the light of day?"

Anybody? No? Okay then...

Go to a bigger company imo it's good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

lol gdi

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Am I a bad person if I still take an interview for a senior level position somewhere else? I wanna see if I actually pass it. I told them I wanted $350k/yr and they didn't bat an eye so I feel like their interview would probably be a good measure of what level I could function at.

It's at a company I actually really want to work at one day but I'm not comfortable healthwise while joining a startup. Think I really need Google's relaxed culture and health insurance while I figure out what's wrong with me.

Don't want to burn a bridge if I turn them down afterward.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 26, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are lots of startups wo crazy hours but shits dominated by law of small numbers

also if theyre payin 350k they prolly also give you the good poo poo wrt insurance

Beatwad
Jun 18, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Is this the first offer you've received in your current search? If so, and you're not desperate to get out, it might not be a bad idea to keep looking.

Yeah that's the first offer and my current job isn't awful enough that I would leave for just about anything else. It's kind of a shame since they seemed normal up until that.

Back to the grind I guess :negative:

Achmed Jones posted:

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

oliveoil posted:

I told them I wanted $350k/yr and they didn't bat an eye
That is stupid money.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Honestly suspect I told them too little since that only seems average for senior SWEs at Google and I've heard that other companies in their sector have paid insane stuff like $400k.

But I'm probably not gonna get it anyway. I may have read and understood DDIA but I haven't reviewed examples of real systems to look for patterns in how people have actually put all those pieces together, so I'm probably a couple weeks short of passing a senior level sys design interview.

I also still haven't gotten through greedy algorithms, I haven't reviewed tree problems, and I don't remember how to analyze divide and conquer algorithms. There was a formula for it but I forgot it and how to apply it.

So there's a big chance they toss me a greedy algorithm problem and I get completely lost or they want me to reconstruct a tree from pre and in orders and I take the whole interview to figure it out from scratch, or I get a divide and conquer solution up but can't explain the running time.

Also still not super comfy with the language they interview in. Apparently all their interviews are done in Go and I started learning it seven days ago.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are lots of startups wo crazy hours but shits dominated by law of small numbers

also if theyre payin 350k they prolly also give you the good poo poo wrt insurance

That's reassuring. If I somehow luck into it I'll feel better then.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 27, 2021

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

oliveoil posted:

Honestly suspect I told them too little since that only seems average for senior SWEs at Google and I've heard that other companies in their sector have paid insane stuff like $400k.

But I'm probably not gonna get it anyway. I may have read and understood DDIA but I haven't reviewed examples of real systems to look for patterns in how people have actually put all those pieces together, so I'm probably a couple weeks short of passing a senior level sys design interview.

I also still haven't gotten through greedy algorithms, I haven't reviewed tree problems, and I don't remember how to analyze divide and conquer algorithms. There was a formula for it but I forgot it and how to apply it.

So there's a big chance they toss me a greedy algorithm problem and I get completely lost or they want me to reconstruct a tree from pre and in orders and I take the whole interview to figure it out from scratch, or I get a divide and conquer solution up but can't explain the running time.

Also still not super comfy with the language they interview in. Apparently all their interviews are done in Go and I started learning it seven days ago.

That's reassuring. If I somehow luck into it I'll feel better then.

Go was made for junior engineers at Google, so you should feel right at home there.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
I have a $50/month professional development budget and don't really know what to spend it on. My manager was pretty clear that as long as it is for personal growth (even for areas outside of work), he'll approve it. Any suggestions on what to use it on? I'm drawing a blank other than books?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Buy DDIA and some nootropics. Internalize it / them. Get a 400k+ job.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

iloverice posted:

I have a $50/month professional development budget and don't really know what to spend it on. My manager was pretty clear that as long as it is for personal growth (even for areas outside of work), he'll approve it. Any suggestions on what to use it on? I'm drawing a blank other than books?

Udemy courses? Creative hobbies? Electronics kits/projects? Rosetta stone?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

iloverice posted:

classic is homelab, related subscriptions. software (eg vmware). maybe design software or similar if that's your jam

id try to use it for dumbass ham radio projects if theyd count it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

iloverice posted:

My manager was pretty clear that as long as it is for personal growth (even for areas outside of work), he'll approve it. Any suggestions on what to use it on? I'm drawing a blank other than books?
JOI videos.

More seriously, a lynda.com (excuse me, LinkedIn Learning) subscription.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

iloverice posted:

$50 bottles of wine; improve your palate and wine knowledge.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Had a chance to talk with a hiring manager at dream company late this afternoon. Got the impression they want people who have their heads down coding all day rather than people doing more ambiguous stuff like Google's HMs.

Don't like it. Don't want to work on a dev team where work orders just come in from the business side and you mindlessly implement.

Could be a multimillionaire within a few years if I got in. Would be an absolutely miserable few years though and I still think I can make a few mil again on my own so my enthusiasm has waned. Still love the product but I hate the idea of being some second-rate part of the business that just churns out product to spec. Really doesn't feel like an engineer-first culture like other tech cos.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 28, 2021

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
whats the company

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
That would dox me but it's a cryptocurrency company.

If you're bullish on crypto and a specific company then finding one that'll give you four years of their token rather than four years of RSUs is a much better lottery ticket than a startup because crypto tokens seem to 10x way more often than startups do.

If you get $200k/yr in tokens over 4 years and the token multiplies by 10, congrats, you're making $8mil in four years.

All you'd need from them is for their token to 10x and you'd be set.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

oliveoil posted:

That would dox me but it's a cryptocurrency company.

If you're bullish on crypto and a specific company then finding one that'll give you four years of their token rather than four years of RSUs is a much better lottery ticket than a startup because crypto tokens seem to 10x way more often than startups do.

If you get $200k/yr in tokens over 4 years and the token multiplies by 10, congrats, you're making $8mil in four years.

All you'd need from them is for their token to 10x and you'd be set.

is there a word for an obvious troll that's become really entertaining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I'd rather be paid in NFTs. Those things do way better than 10x.