Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Says something about hertz' belief in who's actually ramping EV capacity that they go Tesla over an established maker they probably have existing fleet deals with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bird with big dick posted:

Why did god make it so that when women get fat their boobs get bigger but when men get fat their dick doesn’t get any bigger

e: sorry wrong thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bird with small dick

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Qwijib0 posted:

Says something about hertz' belief in who's actually ramping EV capacity that they go Tesla over an established maker they probably have existing fleet deals with.

Probably got more to do with charging availability and marketing than actual logistics.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Charging availability sounds like the definition of logistics, and Tesla doesn't really advertise, so what are you saying?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

knox_harrington posted:

Tyre goo and compressor here, though I don't think you're actually supposed to use it.

Same, but I have a AAA membership if I catch a nail or something. gently caress that goo noise, put me on a tow truck and get me to a shop where they can either patch it or replace it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Probably got more to do with charging availability and marketing than actual logistics.

lol Teslas are basically the only EVs with anything approaching large scale fleet and rental use in their history

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol Teslas are basically the only EVs with anything approaching large scale fleet and rental use in their history

I mean it kinda makes sense from a list of pros and cons:

They can 'fuel' them on site at low cost in the lot but they have to build the charging infrastructure. For airports and the like, I can see them have return lines with charging kiosks. Might need a few superchargers tho, and that would be $$$. Turn around time of a car might be delayed if a lot of charging is needed.
The cameras, location/fleet management/cellular, safety stuff built into model 3s might be really good for a rental co. Cars are spendy initially though.
Keys are super cheap, (I imagine they will only use the key cards?) but they will be confusing for users not familiar with the process. or maybe with 100,000 cars they will have the ability to have an unlock ability, car location, etc. in the 'hertz' app or maybe the Tesla app? This would be really good actually, I've had issues finding my rental car as they tend to be so anonymous.
I imagine they will probably force 'chill' mode?
If current trends hold, they'll be less depreciation of their fleet when need to replace.
Might not be great for customers going roadtripping, but would be fine in a defined area.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LRADIKAL posted:

Charging availability sounds like the definition of logistics, and Tesla doesn't really advertise, so what are you saying?

I’m saying that if you’re a rental company trying to get people to forget that you just declared bankruptcy and remake your image then picking the car company with the rabid online fan base and wildly optimistic stock price seems like a better marketing move than Ford or VW or whatever.

The Tesla name generates interest and news and what Hertz desperately needs right now is news that isn’t about their failings.

And being able to deliver 100k cars on time isn’t the same thing as having a robust charging network. That’s not to say Tesla can’t do it, but Tesla is currently struggling to keep up with consumer demand so adding an additional 100k cars is a pretty big ask unless the timetable is so long as to be meaningless.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There's been rental Teslas here for a while. Regular slow charging at the parking spot, unlock and start the car with the rental company's app, which uses some extra box hooked into the car. I've rented an ID.4 this way.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

YOLOsubmarine posted:

And being able to deliver 100k cars on time isn’t the same thing as having a robust charging network. That’s not to say Tesla can’t do it, but Tesla is currently struggling to keep up with consumer demand so adding an additional 100k cars is a pretty big ask unless the timetable is so long as to be meaningless.

End of 2022 so doable with the extra production capacity from Texas and Berlin online.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

End of 2022 so doable with the extra production capacity from Texas and Berlin online.

Musk stated that he expects Berlin, which just opened, to take a year to reach volume production. Texas, which still isn’t complete, will be the same. So I wouldn’t expect either to significantly effect availability in 2022, especially since they won’t be focused solely on the Model 3 which is the make out of what Hertz is ordering.

There’s also the whole chip shortage thing still going on.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 26, 2021

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla is rolling out their beta "Full self driving" software to more people, and I'm one of 'em. I've tested it thrice so far.

1) Last night from the neighboring subdivision back to home. Dark, rainy, possibly a buggy release (*more below). For a short trip this was very unimpressive. Car couldn't decide where to drive along the wide empty unmarked suburban streets (similar nearby area https://www.google.com/maps/@41.561298,-87.9034294,3a,75y,254.51h,79.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIbCXmKaoQKXAA9UKAtepUg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656) making a few sharp turns to correct itself back into a "lane".

2) Today on the way to pick up lunch ~7 miles. Still pretty rainy, but at least light out. Updated to version 10.3.1. Much better lane keeping, but did want to hug the yellow line a bit on a wide street, like it thought another traffic or bike lane had to be to the right. Handled a very busy 4 way stop quite well, but then ended up not going into the left turn lane for the final turn of the trip. Had to disengage once due to it getting a bit close to a tipped over construction sign sticking into the lane.

3) Trip back home from lunch. Very similar to the trip there, there were a couple times where I thought it was very slow to get up to speed, and I gave up on it close to home when it was doing 10 under with someone tailgating. I think unmarked roads make it a bit "nervous".

Overall it was a bit unsteady. My wife felt a little queasy afterwards, as it would often drop speed for a second then re-accelerate once past whatever road section it wasn't confident about. I think it makes turns a bit like a teen with a learner's permit.

*The 10.3 software that got pushed out yesterday had some issues, and there was supposed to be rollback to 10.2, but I don't think my car installed it right, my software version didn't go back

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's loving insane that they're doing that with their own customers on public streets. Full stop, pants on head. Like, someone should be in jail for that decision.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My 18-year-old Civic is...well, still running fine, but I'm starting to feel like it's time to replace it. What are the recommended "basic commuter car" EVs these days? It's very rare (<1x/year) that I need to drive more than 70 miles in a day, so I figure 100 mile range is plenty even considering battery degradation. I'd prefer all-EV vs. a hybrid, mostly to avoid maintenance on the gas engine. Only other requirement is that it be a reasonable fit for a 6'5" guy. I had some trouble fitting into a Prius.

Also, how bad is it to buy a car right now? I hear the chip shortage is causing issues -- are dealerships basically ignoring MSRP now because they have everyone over a barrel?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

borkencode posted:

Tesla is rolling out their beta "Full self driving" software to more people, and I'm one of 'em. I've tested it thrice so far.
Hello goon, please don't run *beta* navigation assist software in streets where other cars and people are around.

Like why. Why would you do that to yourself?

In summary:

Imagined posted:

It's loving insane that they're doing that with their own customers on public streets. Full stop, pants on head. Like, someone should be in jail for that decision.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Nissan Leaf SV or SL non + model has 150 miles range and still gets the $7500 credit. Perfect for local/next city driving. You can in fact load 2 8 foot long 2x8's from closed hatch to front windshield :)

~$20k after credit

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s also the whole chip shortage thing still going on.

Tesla can meet the additional demand without additional chips by swapping the power seats for manual and making adaptive cruise control reliant on an in dash abacus.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

borkencode posted:

1) Last night from the neighboring subdivision back to home. Dark, rainy, possibly a buggy release (*more below). For a short trip this was very unimpressive. Car couldn't decide where to drive along the wide empty unmarked suburban streets (similar nearby area https://www.google.com/maps/@41.561298,-87.9034294,3a,75y,254.51h,79.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIbCXmKaoQKXAA9UKAtepUg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656) making a few sharp turns to correct itself back into a "lane".

2) Today on the way to pick up lunch ~7 miles. Still pretty rainy, but at least light out. Updated to version 10.3.1. Much better lane keeping, but did want to hug the yellow line a bit on a wide street, like it thought another traffic or bike lane had to be to the right. Handled a very busy 4 way stop quite well, but then ended up not going into the left turn lane for the final turn of the trip. Had to disengage once due to it getting a bit close to a tipped over construction sign sticking into the lane.

3) Trip back home from lunch. Very similar to the trip there, there were a couple times where I thought it was very slow to get up to speed, and I gave up on it close to home when it was doing 10 under with someone tailgating. I think unmarked roads make it a bit "nervous".

Overall it was a bit unsteady. My wife felt a little queasy afterwards, as it would often drop speed for a second then re-accelerate once past whatever road section it wasn't confident about. I think it makes turns a bit like a teen with a learner's permit.

*The 10.3 software that got pushed out yesterday had some issues, and there was supposed to be rollback to 10.2, but I don't think my car installed it right, my software version didn't go back

How badly can a bicycle bully a tesla in fsd mode at slow speed? Asking for a friend.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

How badly can a bicycle bully a tesla in fsd mode at slow speed? Asking for a friend.

I've been wondering the same about the Waymos and Cruises that roam the streets of SF. Like I know they have safety drivers, but I want to make the model training just that more interesting

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bird with big dick posted:

Tesla can meet the additional demand without additional chips by swapping the power seats for manual and making adaptive cruise control reliant on an in dash abacus.

FSD could use a little person in the frunk

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I guess this is kind of a stupid question, but why, if the car is having difficulty navigating, doesn't it revert to the human driver? Like, "I'm having trouble here, you have the wheel". I guess it doesn't know it's having trouble, that's the issue, but surely there's some kind of confidence metric it's constantly tracking. And while I'm asking stupid questions, why doesn't it use the human driver to learn directly from to gauge its confidence metric?
code:
confidence 65%
alert driver
disconnect autopilot
set observe mode
and then it just mimics the observed behavior as well as it can, next time it's in command mode.
I know the answer is because AI is the world's biggest scam and doesn't exist in the slightest form, but come on computer touchers, sort it out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

FSD could use a little person in the frunk

Elon’s going to use hitherto-unknown Neuralink tech to clone his own brain and use it as the basis of FSD’s ultimate form

pro: your Tesla basically gets to be KITT

con: your Tesla may occasionally argue with you about the merits of Bitcoin, call you a pedophile, tweet, and try to solicit venture capital for dumb poo poo

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Russian Bear posted:

The amorphous blob competition.

I have a Niro EV.

My wife has accidentally gotten into the wrong car, when I'm parked to yet another white CSUV.

They so all look so alike.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
also it won’t get mad if you smoke weed in it, but it may want to listen to Joe Rogan and/or Grimes afterward, and it has root access to the audio system

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My 18-year-old Civic is...well, still running fine, but I'm starting to feel like it's time to replace it. What are the recommended "basic commuter car" EVs these days? It's very rare (<1x/year) that I need to drive more than 70 miles in a day, so I figure 100 mile range is plenty even considering battery degradation. I'd prefer all-EV vs. a hybrid, mostly to avoid maintenance on the gas engine. Only other requirement is that it be a reasonable fit for a 6'5" guy. I had some trouble fitting into a Prius.

Also, how bad is it to buy a car right now? I hear the chip shortage is causing issues -- are dealerships basically ignoring MSRP now because they have everyone over a barrel?

Hyundai Ionic?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
OMG but the new Civic is SO GOOD though

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I guess this is kind of a stupid question, but why, if the car is having difficulty navigating, doesn't it revert to the human driver? Like, "I'm having trouble here, you have the wheel". I guess it doesn't know it's having trouble, that's the issue, but surely there's some kind of confidence metric it's constantly tracking. And while I'm asking stupid questions, why doesn't it use the human driver to learn directly from to gauge its confidence metric?
code:
confidence 65%
alert driver
disconnect autopilot
set observe mode
and then it just mimics the observed behavior as well as it can, next time it's in command mode.
I know the answer is because AI is the world's biggest scam and doesn't exist in the slightest form, but come on computer touchers, sort it out.

The ML model isn’t trained locally on the car. In theory you could track divergences between human behavior and the deployed model and try to feed that back into the training algorithm but a) What if the human driver is driving badly? How do you distinguish that from the model being bad? b) how do you collect and collect this training data from the cars? It’s going to be a LOT of video data that needs to be sent home.

Anyway, there’s no ML model driving the car. The model is used for object recognition while plain old human developed algorithms seem to be what’s used for the actual driving. If you wait the AI day presentations the focus is always and overwhelmingly on computer vision.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Finger Prince posted:

I don't know the actual answers since I'm not a tesla engineer but...kicking control back to the human abruptly is not great either because while the "driver" should be paying attention with hands on wheel for these circumstances, all the marketing (full self driving, hand-free whatever) goes against that. That and presumably the driver should just straight take control if they notice something dumb, and my understanding is most systems will cancel once you start doing things. People can and do complain when these things shut off "for no reason" already, so it'd kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's more beneficial to the manufacturer to not automatically cancel self-driving mode, since the driver taking over lets you scope your data collection so you have to collect, store, and process less data. This is all assuming it even knows it's having trouble, and who knows because all software is poo poo.

As far as feedback learning on the car, that's likely just not happening. They're almost certainly harvesting data from their users in some way, but for a variety of reasons, it's probably all stored and processed on tesla servers, with finished models pushed back to the vehicles on software updates.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Finger Prince posted:

I guess this is kind of a stupid question, but why, if the car is having difficulty navigating, doesn't it revert to the human driver?
Part of the problem is that the car doesn't quite "know" it's loving up in the sense you'd like it to. If you watch the FED'S stupid-rear end graphics poo poo like Phantom cars and ghost lights pop in and out. It has no object permanence. It somehow doesn't have a command of what the next few feet of road look like.

I mean, at what point in this video would that handover occur? Maybe as it approached the intersection? But watch the FSD display and the line-of-travel indicated by the green line *suddenly* goes from straight into TURN RIGHT NOW FOR SOME REASON without an audible warning.

https://twitter.com/k_pendergrast/status/1438545080193720345?s=20

Some dipshit on their phone or sleeping is not going to react to that gracefully.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 26, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Part of the problem is that the car doesn't quite "know" it's loving up in the sense you'd like it to. If you watch the FED'S stupid-rear end graphics poo poo like Phantom cars and ghost lights pop in and out. It has no object permanence. It somehow doesn't have a command of what the next few feet of road look like.

I mean, at what point in this video would that handover occur? Maybe as it approached the intersection? But watch the FSD display and the line-of-travel indicated by the green line *suddenly* goes from straight into TURN RIGHT NOW FOR SOME REASON without an audible warning.

https://twitter.com/k_pendergrast/status/1438545080193720345?s=20

Some dipshit on their phone or sleeping is not going to react to that gracefully.

At the very start of that video, the wheel saws back and forth. That right there is 0% confidence, and a 0% match to what a human driver in the same section of road would do. At least at that point (and probably before, but the video isn't long enough, increasingly flashy, noisy, attention getting warnings should be triggered to alert the driver "I don't know what I'm doing on this section of road, you take over". Alternatively, if the human driver does not take over, the car puts on the hazard lights and slows to a stop. It requires positive acknowledgement that the human has control to begin driving again, and probably stays locked out of auto mode until it can, in monitoring mode, see that its inputs wouldn't differ substantially from the humans inputs, or failing that, from the expected inputs for the environment it "sees".

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

At the very start of that video, the wheel saws back and forth. That right there is 0% confidence, and a 0% match to what a human driver in the same section of road would do. At least at that point (and probably before, but the video isn't long enough, increasingly flashy, noisy, attention getting warnings should be triggered to alert the driver "I don't know what I'm doing on this section of road, you take over". Alternatively, if the human driver does not take over, the car puts on the hazard lights and slows to a stop. It requires positive acknowledgement that the human has control to begin driving again, and probably stays locked out of auto mode until it can, in monitoring mode, see that its inputs wouldn't differ substantially from the humans inputs, or failing that, from the expected inputs for the environment it "sees".

You’re acting like the algorithm driving the car is capable of understanding what good and bad driving looks like. It’s not. It doesn’t comprehend anything. It’s just a control loop. If you could built a program that was smart enough to reliably differentiate between good and bad driving you’d have already solved self driving.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Maybe I’m a weirdo but I really have no desire for that level of autonomy and really just want them to perfect highway “on-ramp to off-ramp” with hands free autopilot.

Have they (not meaning just Tesla, but carmakers in general) perfected that yet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Today I became the first person in my state to own a 2022 Polestar 2, about a month early :toot:

Delivery went smoothly, we scheduled a time for them to drive it out to me and we filled out paperwork for a bit. The car was just like the one that I test drove a few months ago so everything was familiar enough. The key is a little black box with lock/unlock/trunk/panic buttons but you can also pair your phone to the car so that it unlocks automatically when you try the door handle. It also comes with two physical keys that can open the doors from the outside.

When I test drove it I really liked Polestar's instrument panel, which is as good as I remember. This was one of many little things that won me over and got me choosing a Polestar 2 instead of a Tesla Model 3. The instrument cluster is basically a Google Maps display with the darkness set to match the interior, and in the corners are your speed, the speed limit, and your charge level/estimated range. You can configure what's shown here from the infotainment center, and you can toggle the map on/off with a button on the steering wheel. I like this a lot, because you can always have the map up and in your eyeline whenever you want, and clearly a lot of care went into the design because it looks great. The entire car is an Android OS, so the instrument cluster displays whatever you have going on in the Google Maps app (e.g. if you've got a route programmed in, that shows up on the instrument panel map).

The infotainment console is great, the car is an Android device so the infotainment display has a sleek Android design and everything fully synchronizes with Google accounts. I have a Pixel and most often use Chrome so I'm already fully familiarized. This is not the same as Android Auto, which requires a connected phone to use any relevant features; the car itself is an Android device with a 4G SIM card, Bluetooth, and WiFi. I appreciate being able to install apps to my car but the Play Store is pretty bare bones (basically just various map and audio apps; I did install A Better Route Planner but I look forward to some day being able to post to the forums with the Awful app installed in my car)

The safety features seem really nice, the proximity feedback feels really good and the audio beeps are actually sync'd to the surround sound system, so backing up toward an obstruction at your 5 o clock results in beeps that sound like they're coming from 5 o clock. I got the emergency brakes to trigger while backing out of a really steep driveway, which was a surprise but the car was happy to let me continue easing out after that. Some of the safety videos they've put out there are pretty cool, there is a lot of "automated" driver assist stuff out there that I knew nothing about

The one pedal driving feels good, I'm not an expert in this or anything but I've liked one pedal driving in every car that I've tried so far. I have it set to the maximum amount of recharge and I rarely have to touch the brakes

The range seems great. I'm running climate control and . This was one area where I hesitated because I know that the Model 3 has better range, but I'm encouraged by my test drives so far.

The acceleration is excellent, I splurged for the dual-motor version sacrificing some range in the process but I've always preferred more power over less. But it's an EV, so no one should be surprised by the acceleration.

The charging cable is actually a Level 2 charger that can plug directly into a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and you can set the charging amperage to whatever you want from the infotainment console in the car. The cable comes with an adapter that turns it into a Level 1 charger for 3-prong outlets. I had a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage specifically for this car, and I'm planning to install a Chargepoint Flex so that I can throw the charging cable into the frunk in case I ever need it. The frunk also comes with a jack, lug wrench, and tire repair kit in their own special storage slots.

So that's that, going to be commuting to and from work in this thing and plan on trying some of the driving assist features.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Congrats! There was apparently a recent update that made the Polestar a bit more efficient, but I don't the exact details.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

QuarkJets posted:

Today I became the first person in my state to own a 2022 Polestar 2, about a month early :toot:
Considering how fickle Google is about supporting things, the app-based Android car gives me pause, but I'd love to drive one some day. Thanks for the writeup, it seems a pretty well thought out vehicle.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

OldSenileGuy posted:

Maybe I’m a weirdo but I really have no desire for that level of autonomy and really just want them to perfect highway “on-ramp to off-ramp” with hands free autopilot.

No. Its honestly a sad mess of hype being punched by reality.

Advanced Cruise Controls are awesome but they really only reduce the number of things you need to be focusing on so you can pay more attention to the road ahead. Setting a speed and letting the car manage it as well as gap to the next car is just.... relaxing

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

The infotainment console is great, the car is an Android device so the infotainment display has a sleek Android design and everything fully synchronizes with Google accounts. I have a Pixel and most often use Chrome so I'm already fully familiarized. This is not the same as Android Auto, which requires a connected phone to use any relevant features; the car itself is an Android device with a 4G SIM card, Bluetooth, and WiFi. I appreciate being able to install apps to my car but the Play Store is pretty bare bones (basically just various map and audio apps; I did install A Better Route Planner but I look forward to some day being able to post to the forums with the Awful app installed in my car)

Does it have the really annoying occasional stutter while scrolling that every single Android phone ever seems to have, regardless of how expensive?

LRADIKAL posted:

Nissan Leaf SV or SL non + model has 150 miles range and still gets the $7500 credit. Perfect for local/next city driving. You can in fact load 2 8 foot long 2x8's from closed hatch to front windshield :)

~$20k after credit

I'm not sure I'd recommend a Leaf to anyone now, it's a really old car in a market where the technology is moving really fast. Even in the refresh a couple of years ago was basically just some bodywork and a bigger battery.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

This is not the same as Android Auto, which requires a connected phone to use any relevant features; the car itself is an Android device with a 4G SIM card, Bluetooth, and WiFi. I appreciate being able to install apps to my car but the Play Store is pretty bare bones (basically just various map and audio apps; I did install A Better Route Planner but I look forward to some day being able to post to the forums with the Awful app installed in my car)

This sounds like a great way to introduce compromised apps to your car.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Hard rebooting my car because of a memory leak in the Cute Frogz app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m tempted to agree. It stresses me out a bit driving during rush hour in an unfamiliar city, but usually that’s not very taxing overall. Holy poo poo would that stress be multiplied if, instead of just going through the driving motions that I’ve been doing nearly every day for more than half my life, I had to supervise a computer with the driving skill of a squeaky-voiced teen and the misplaced confidence of a valet parking service.

What wears my brain out is long stretches of boring highways, or slow-moving traffic on said, with hours between changing roads or stopping for anything. That’s what semi-autonomous car makers should be focused on (at least for me), but that’s not flashy so they’re all scrambling to be the first one to traverse LA in one session with less than a dozen casualties.

Tesla’s autopilot is pretty good on highways (I don’t have FSD so lane changes are annoying to constantly re-engage), but it accelerates and brakes with a force that I haven’t used since I was young and didn’t have any family in the car. Nissan’s Propilot wanders in the lane a little bit, but the way it handles slowing down and navigating at low speeds in heavy traffic is much better than what I’ve seen in the Tesla. Nissan’s is actually so much smoother that I considered waiting to see the Ariya before buying the Model Y (although now they’re labeling the Ariya as a 2023 model year in some places, which tells me they’re not making the 2021 release window by a long shot).