Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Surprised the Genesis controller is more expensive than the SNES one. Does that have its own Home and screenshot buttons like the N64 one?

Lol, nope. Just gets the MODE button.

Also you can get third-party, six-button, Bluetooth ones that are functionally identical for $20AUD cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thats a speedrunner so of course he's going to notice the input lag. people playing the game casually are not going to notice it

I played the actual N64 cartridge SM64 on a modern tv in game mode and everything before the 3DAS collection came out, and it was like Mario was drunk compared to a CRT or the 3DAS version. If these versions feel more like that experience, then it will feel bad for a casual babby too.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Dang where's the additional buttons on the central prong that random poster was extremely sure were going to be there???

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, nope. Just gets the MODE button.

Also you can get third-party, six-button, Bluetooth ones that are functionally identical for $20AUD cheaper.

Also, just tried the wired controllers that come with the Genesis Mini... They do in fact... NOT work! Boo! Hiss!

Oh well lol

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Dang where's the additional buttons on the central prong that random poster was extremely sure were going to be there???

lmao, thank you for reminding me of that insanity

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

oh my god i forgot about this

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

loving hell, the price for the family plan is $100 cdn. Goddammit (no, it's not available yet, but the Online app showed me the Canadian price).

Like, I know that when you in the States say a game is $60, then that's full price $80 here, but I guess it didn't really hit me until I actually saw the Canadian price.

Whatever, gonna be asking my friends and family to finally pitch in for their share of the family plan.
The complainers were right and we all know it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMC8cTr1Eg

lol it doesn't even have memory pak functionality what the hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIdL0Scl3O4&t=298s

by next week greedy nintendo will be saying "oh you want memory pak functionality then go buy the controller little piggies oink oink"

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

It's funny because when Winback came out it was widely panned as "oh you don't own a playstation so I guess this is your MGS lol".
Also Mission Impossible lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS-RU_xNqIw

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 26, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seek professional help my dude.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
:goofy: why do you need the memory pak when you can just use the save state feature built into the service :goofy:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Red Minjo posted:

I played the actual N64 cartridge SM64 on a modern tv in game mode and everything before the 3DAS collection came out, and it was like Mario was drunk compared to a CRT or the 3DAS version. If these versions feel more like that experience, then it will feel bad for a casual babby too.
Apparently the N64 Online app uses the same emulator used for 3D All-Stars, just using the original US ROM instead of a translated Shindou version with a HD texture pack.

Oddly the emulator supposedly does support the Memory Pak, but none of the games are currently set-up to plug it in, using the Rumble Pak instead. I think they've tweaked config things in updates in the other Switch Online apps, so I wonder if they'll at least fix that for Mario Kart 64? (WinBack might be tricker since it supports both Rumble and Memory Paks, but obviously not at the same time...)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Commander Keene posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't emulate the save thing on the controller and you had to beat Winback in one sitting. Or they assume everyone's going to use save states anyways.
:lol::lol: I can't believe I predicted this with a goddamn shitpost.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

drat history repeating and I'm chuckling at the poors who can't afford to rent a 64 game

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The United States posted:

The complainers were right and we all know it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMC8cTr1Eg

lol it doesn't even have memory pak functionality what the hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIdL0Scl3O4&t=298s

by next week greedy nintendo will be saying "oh you want memory pak functionality then go buy the controller little piggies oink oink"

Also Mission Impossible lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS-RU_xNqIw

make one single post without a youtube or twitter link in it

better yet, stop posting completely

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you turn rumble off it enables the controller pak save feature. They're simply trying to give you an authentic experience.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Someone mentioned earlier that Disney has been cool with re-releasing older Star Wars titles. What chances to get the old Battlefront games? I loved those.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the rumble pak should run on two AAA batteries and die on you in the middle of a gaming session... i need that authentic Nintendo 64 experience

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nep-Nep posted:

Who would have known, all this time the reason people laughed at that big bang theory joke...

Hold up...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that Disney has been cool with re-releasing older Star Wars titles. What chances to get the old Battlefront games? I loved those.
All the Switch Star Wars re-releases were handled by Aspyr Media, IIRC, while recent re-releases of Battlefront on other platforms were handled by other companies (Xbox back-compat by EA, PC updates by GOG/CD Projekt). Maybe it'll happen but for now assume it won't!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

All the Switch Star Wars re-releases were handled by Aspyr Media, IIRC, while recent re-releases of Battlefront on other platforms were handled by other companies (Xbox back-compat by EA, PC updates by GOG/CD Projekt). Maybe it'll happen but for now assume it won't!

Phooey.

I'm glad people are enjoying the N64. I'll wait and see what gets added overtime, and preferably get it if some desired DLC goes up with it. I'm still curious to see if that was an Animal Crossing thing, or if that'd be standard moving forward.

I haven't played Dread yet, but could that possibly get DLC, and if so what?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the rumble pak should run on two AAA batteries and die on you in the middle of a gaming session... i need that authentic Nintendo 64 experience

Well, apparently there are people who think not having a save pak feature is really pissing into their cheerios, so don't give them any ideas. Next time they'll complain about those exact same things missing from their experience. :v:

Anyway, by pure chance my payday and the NSO-expansion happen to hit roughly the same time, so I guess I'll buy it over the next days.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol how is the switch n64 emulator worse than wiivc. Nintendo lol.

Should have kept your carts

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/stopskeletons/status/1452901471553351680?t=UkNytPTT5k3yuZIJbhSniA&s=19

lol oh well

Timing is all off in yoshi too. Lots of weird early emulator bugs

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm playing the N64 games

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Willo567 posted:

Also, apparently the NES and SNES library uses rollback for online multiplayer - the N64 doesn't.
Is that what causes this
https://twitter.com/nippo4512/status/1452826318232449025

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Gonna go out on a limb here and say that their connection is unstable.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Basically none, given that they were never on Nintendo consoles to begin with nor are the new ones.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://twitter.com/stopskeletons/status/1452901471553351680?t=UkNytPTT5k3yuZIJbhSniA&s=19

lol oh well

Timing is all off in yoshi too. Lots of weird early emulator blmaogs
lmao

wasn't planning on getting this until Majora's Mask got ported, but this is still a little disappointing
hopefully they'll patch some of the major issues by then?

also hopefully add a native GCN controller layout so you dont have to gently caress around trying to remap things on a system level. mapping the C-buttons to Zr+Direction seems like it would be slightly janky for some games

also re: input lag - I know some degree is unavoidable, but im trying to imagine doing the postman sidequest in MM with input lag and that's just :stonk:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I have named link "50 bones" in honor of this momentous occasion

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I stayed up too late playing Dr. Mario so I guess I got my $7 worth

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's a bad day to be a nintendrone

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

lmao

wasn't planning on getting this until Majora's Mask got ported, but this is still a little disappointing
hopefully they'll patch some of the major issues by then?

also hopefully add a native GCN controller layout so you dont have to gently caress around trying to remap things on a system level. mapping the C-buttons to Zr+Direction seems like it would be slightly janky for some games

also re: input lag - I know some degree is unavoidable, but im trying to imagine doing the postman sidequest in MM with input lag and that's just :stonk:

You can also use the right analogue stick, if that is an acceptable solution.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

it's a bad day to be a nintendrone

same as it ever was

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
people should be nicer to nintendo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol oh well

Timing is all off in yoshi too. Lots of weird early emulator bugs

lol what are they doing

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Right, how dare Nintendo not break up US isp monopolies to ensure we have great internet connections

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I was out of the loop yesterday and missed most of the launch. I'm hearing the N64 games are pretty rough at the moment? Shame, I was looking forward to playing Mario Kart 64 - my favorite - with some friends.
Is this something Nintendo can fix or is it a fundamental problem?

Also what is the state of the Genesis emulation? I was pretty hype for a lot of those.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I was out of the loop yesterday and missed most of the launch. I'm hearing the N64 games are pretty rough at the moment? Shame, I was looking forward to playing Mario Kart 64 - my favorite - with some friends.
Is this something Nintendo can fix or is it a fundamental problem?

Also what is the state of the Genesis emulation? I was pretty hype for a lot of those.

Mega Drive stuff seems really decent to me. Been jamming Sonic 2 all morning

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah they're fine, it's just is you want to play online make sure it's with someone who has a decent connection, and make sure you have a decent connection. And if you are playing a game with controller pak saves, use a save state

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

mfcrocker posted:

Mega Drive stuff seems really decent to me. Been jamming Sonic 2 all morning

Nice. Still a bit disappointed we only got Ecco 1, not 2. I remember liking 2 more.

Also no Quest 64 so honestly the whole thing is worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
been hearing about even more graphical fuckups in OoT, like atmospheric fog not rendering or textures not loading right, and it got me wondering: why is the Wii VC widely praised as the best? like, to the point that speedrunners tend to prefer n64 games on that as opposed to any other alternative, sometimes even over PC emulation

i know firsthand it runs good, but why? what makes it so special compared to the wii u or switch?