Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I saw mooncakes at the store after you guys were saying how terrible they were, and figured I would try them.

Then I saw the price and bought some taro buns instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

a primate posted:

I saw mooncakes at the store after you guys were saying how terrible they were, and figured I would try them.

Then I saw the price and bought some taro buns instead.

Moon cakes are the closest thing to Lembas bread we've made on this earth, unless you count pemmican as bread. One bite can satisfy a man for a day.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Dwarf bread.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Don Gato posted:

unless you count pemmican as bread.

I think even the most die-hard "a hot dog is a sandwich" arguer would draw the line at calling pemmican bread.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Use pemmican like a KFC double down for a good time

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think even the most die-hard "a hot dog is a sandwich" arguer would draw the line at calling pemmican bread.

Perhaps they're thinking of bannock? It can be pretty dense, depending on the recipe.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Klyith posted:

So....
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/22/opinion/china-bubble-economy.html
https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/jim-chanos-chinas-leveraged-prosperity-model-is-doomed-and-thats-not-the-worst

The problem with looking at the ghost towns from 10 years ago and saying "well they got filled up eventually", is that construction hasn't slowed down and has consumed an ever-increasing amount of investment. Mostly from people's savings. China's running a real estate bubble and it's been going on even longer than the bubbles of 2008 or the 80s.

As much as homelessness and lack of housing in the US is loving awful, there is a reason it's hard to fix. Economically it's real bad to overshoot on housing. Much worse than over supply of factories or infrastructure, because an empty house has zero value. Doesn't matter if the people don't see a problem with it -- that just means they've been insulated so far from the negative effects.

Re: use from housing, I guess it depends on whether or not going people continue the current trend of:
- Moving from rural to urban areas when they can.
- Moving out of / avoiding multigenerational homes (living with parents).

Neither trend is a given to either continue or stop, but both have a big effect on housing demand.

Re: real estate bubble... yep. Sucks. Very curious as to what the resolution to that will be.
In other countries it's something boring like "politicians kick the can another decade down the road", but China being so... China opens up new and exciting possibilities like "government appropriation of second homes", or "violent uprising".

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Some mooncakes are legit good. I like a mooncake every now and again.

I'm surprised they were still pricy tho. Mooncakes tend to be like halloween candy and become super cheap immediately after zhong qiu jie. I remember when I lived in Chengdu, the china equivalent to those halloween stores that appear for like a month would appear AFTER midautumn to just mass sell mooncakes at low prices.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ailumao posted:

Some mooncakes are legit good. I like a mooncake every now and again.

I'm surprised they were still pricy tho. Mooncakes tend to be like halloween candy and become super cheap immediately after zhong qiu jie. I remember when I lived in Chengdu, the china equivalent to those halloween stores that appear for like a month would appear AFTER midautumn to just mass sell mooncakes at low prices.

For a while "mooncake coupons" were an alternative currency used for bribes.
Shops would issue coupons for expensive mooncakes, which could be cancelled before certain dates in exchange for a decreasing percentage of purchase price, and eventually just for mooncakes.

So each year you effectively had an unmonitored currency (none of the standard controls) which depreciated from ~90% to 0% (unless you really really like mooncakes) over the course of about a month, which led to some fascinating dynamics.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (21F) have to move to my boyfriend’s (23M) country if I want to continue the relationship, but I hate everything about that country.

I will not specify which country I’m talking about here, as to not offend anyone. Some people could probably guess though. I currently live in England.

I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years now, and our relationship is great. There are no issues other than some cultural differences, but he is an amazing, honest, trustworthy person and I love him a lot.

My older brother (29M), who I am very close with, lives in the country my boyfriend is from. Before I met my boyfriend, I already considered moving there to live with my brother, after I finished university. I am currently in my last year, and I found out my boyfriend was planning to propose right after I graduate. If I accepted, that would mean I would have to move to his country to be with him.

Reasons I would be the one to move: I have a family member there, which makes it easier. I will work freelance anyway, so will not be tied down to any specific place. My boyfriend has a good job in his country with a great career ahead of him. So due to all that, it was logical I would be the one to move, if we decided to get married.

I used to love this country, and really wanted to live there with my brother. However, the more I visited, the more I have grown to hate it instead. I have lived there for 4 months last year, and after that I cannot imagine myself having to be there any longer. The way people treated me due to my race was not pleasant (the country rarely has any foreigners), i had people grab me on the street and try to touch my skin, people spit on me, etc. I could not go outside alone without either being stalked or harassed by creepy men. I was followed home multiple times. I had many unpleasant things happen to me there, and by the end of the 4 months I lived there, I stopped leaving the house on my own. The country does not accept foreigners, and if I moved i would for the rest of my life be an outsider.

Another problem, is that any time I complained about anything bad happening to me while I was there, my boyfriend would get annoyed and defensive, as he is very fond of his country, and cannot believe there could be anything wrong with it. I try to avoid telling him if there’s a problem while I’m there, since I know he will get upset/annoyed. Any time I raised the topic, i could see he was very hurt by the fact I don’t seem to be thrilled about moving there.

Also, let me specify. I do somewhat speak the language. I also do not have any fund problems, so that would not play an important role. I do not depend on my boyfriend financially, so I could leave any time.

I do not know how to proceed. I don’t want to break up with him, as except for that, everything is perfect. Please, if anyone had a similar experience, I would be happy if you could share. I would also appreciate any advice about the situation.

Tl;dr: if I wanna marry my boyfriend I gotta move to his home country, but I don’t like it and don’t feel safe here. Don’t want to break up. What are my options?

cross posting from the relationship thread but korea or china?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

snergle posted:

It was Japan

Like I'm not guessing I googled it and she said lol

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

BrainDance posted:

It was Japan

im suprised but i knew it was east asia.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

BrainDance posted:

It was Japan

I was going to ask which hillbilly town she was in, but I realised I can easily imagine that happening in Tokyo.

Big yikes.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

I have never seen someone spit at someone in Japan, let alone a foreigner, that's new.

Unless she was in Osaka.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Kharnifex posted:

I have never seen someone spit at someone in Japan, let alone a foreigner, that's new.

Unless she was in Osaka.

Yeah I lived in a tiny rear end town in Akita for two years and while housewives would stare at us from their windows and everyone knew our movements and gossiped about us, nobody ever spit and mistreatment was rare. Like if someone was mean it had to do with a drunk rear end in a top hat at a festival who was pissed at one of the other gaijin for dating a Japanese girl. Tokyo was a little less polite but people were pretty used to foreigners there. Guess most of my experience is in Eastern Honshu though so maybe it’s really bad elsewhere.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

snergle posted:

Going in blind I would've said Saudi Arabia.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I woulda guessed Japan, I've heard stories from people I know of similar

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

All the other stuff is common, but the spitting is wild, that's something I only encountered in China.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
in china you could totally just fall to the ground and scream this is killing because someone touched you

so the public touching thing is totally japan

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Maybe I'm making a wrong assumption here, but I'm gonna make it anyway, most of us are probably guys, right?

I've had a pretty okay time bouncing around Asia as a guy, but I've heard poo poo from women that is loving insane.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

Unless she was in Osaka.

I had someone spit at my feet on a train (in a Green car!). Don't know if the guy was seriously trying to start something because my g/f hustled me off the train quickly.

There's been a few more where I couldn't really tell if it was an accident. But that was all the incidents in 3 years in a city of 40+ million, so still better than most other countries I've been in.

g/f and female coworkers have recounted some pretty hosed up poo poo, so I'm guessing being a large guy massively reduces the amount of (open) aggression experienced.

ed: Tokyo

Only touching I got in China was someone gave my nuts a squeeze in a random grocery store, which was... kind of ok actually.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 26, 2021

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

snergle posted:

Sever. Setting herself up for divorce anyway if she moves there.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

BrainDance posted:

Maybe I'm making a wrong assumption here, but I'm gonna make it anyway, most of us are probably guys, right?

I've had a pretty okay time bouncing around Asia as a guy, but I've heard poo poo from women that is loving insane.

I mean I'm a small guy and never had the slightest trouble in Asia so I imagine it is a gender thing, not a 'can I take you' thing

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

BrainDance posted:

I would like to weigh in on this but I don't really feel like another round of being called a racist and a liar. But I will say that over 6 years of men in Asian workplaces prepared me well to deal with the cringing basement-dwelling scrotes I worked with last year in Not Asia! A male virgin mansplained lesbian sex to me. On my coffee break. With no prompting. And that was just the beginning.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I would like to weigh in on this but I don't really feel like another round of being called a racist and a liar. But I will say that over 6 years of men in Asian workplaces prepared me well to deal with the cringing basement-dwelling scrotes I worked with last year in Not Asia! A male virgin mansplained lesbian sex to me. On my coffee break. With no prompting. And that was just the beginning.

Ok come-on you can't just leave it at that for the man child chronicles

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Physical confrontation seems super rare in China, doubly so with foreigners.

Women seem to have it weirder, but the overall pattern holds.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The only fight/near fight I ever got in in China was with a British bloke in Fuzhou who declared that racism was over, and the reason he gave for that was that he saw too many black people on TV.

But again, I did get many hostile stares from middle aged uncles for the crime of being "not Han". And it would have been much worse if I was a woman.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Ok come-on you can't just leave it at that for the man child chronicles

Yeah, but those guys weren't Chinese, and--

oh okay

1. The lesbians virgin guy once turned to me out of nowhere and remarked thoughtfully, "You know, Fleta, ugly women are smarter, but beautiful women are boring because they don't have to try." I was walking and the remark made me trip. Unfortunately, I was still trying to walk the line between Office Bitch and Total Pushover so I think I just said something like "that was hosed up" and changed the subject.

2. The other one, who I call O-ring because he is a pure rear end in a top hat, responded to me saying that I hadn't had hot water in my apartment for three months due to my landlord being a negligent, uncommunicative bitch with "I know how you feel. Sometimes my mother's cleaning woman knocks over my action figures and doesn't put them back in the right order." He was at least 29 years old at the time.

3. Being called an "SJW" for having a feminist character in the game refer to herself and other women as "Ms."

4. The O-ring constantly talking about how he dated his cousin, to the point where my boss actually got off his rear end and asked him to stop talking about it because it was getting weird.

Those are probably the funniest incidents besides He Who Has Not Been Touched explaining how do I gently caress another lady.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Dongsturm posted:

I had someone spit at my feet on a train (in a Green car!).

you should have thanked them for the gift of their body's moisture

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WarpedNaba posted:

Going in blind I would've said Saudi Arabia.
if it were saudi she wouldn't have been outside on her in the first place.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

JFC never work in tech is my motto and I'm sticking to it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gaius Marius posted:

I woulda guessed Japan, I've heard stories from people I know of similar

I would've guessed Korea, but knowing the OP is a woman means it's quite believable in either. The spitting is the only thing that's extreme, makes me suspect she isn't white. I don't know a single woman who doesn't get harassed by creeps constantly in Korea/Japan. Being a white dude insulates you from so much of it.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

In Japan the only time I had a dude shout nationalistic nonsense at me was during bonenkai on a train, he was drunk out of his mind and saying it was shameful the govt let in foreigners, my friends removed him from the train.

I know many foreign and Japanese women who went through hell from stalking, harassment and pickup attempts.

I have been groped many times from locals, as a man it never concerned me.

A girl I was dating had a guy unclip her bra through her shirt from behind, when I turned cos she yelped he looked at me and ran.

It's a wacky place, and as a foreigner you never truly belong, I've been lucky and made alot of friends there and had great experiences, and some wierd ones, like my language teacher becoming infatuated with me, and after she was removed from the school stalking me.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Grand Fromage posted:

I would've guessed Korea, but knowing the OP is a woman means it's quite believable in either. The spitting is the only thing that's extreme, makes me suspect she isn't white. I don't know a single woman who doesn't get harassed by creeps constantly in Korea/Japan. Being a white dude insulates you from so much of it.

i assumed she wasnt white because the the touching. lots of i never saw a black person time to touch their hair.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

snergle posted:

i assumed she wasnt white because the the touching. lots of i never saw a black person time to touch their hair.

Yeah, I missed that. Every Black friend I have in Asia gets their skin/hair touched by strangers all the time.

Kharnifex posted:

like my language teacher becoming infatuated with me, and after she was removed from the school stalking me.

Is there more to this one?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I missed that. Every Black friend I have in Asia gets their skin/hair touched by strangers all the time.

Is there more to this one?

When I was a student in Japan I didn't really know Japanese and had a teacher to get me up to scratch to pass the regional entry test, I did pretty well. She was at least double my age.

She would take me on excursions etc, very platonic, she did complain about her husband to me and while we were at a zoo mentioned he was into wierd sex stuff I laughed and ignored it.

After natsu yasumi she had sent my host family an envelope full of photos and I took them out at the dinner table and held one up of her in lingerie like wtf haha, and she had a note asking me to meet in a park, I went and met her, when I gave her back the photos she said I had rejected her, but still wanted to take me to a beetle museum, I was a bit weirded out and left

I complained to the school about it and my host parents backed me up, the head teacher refused to do anything so I got in touch with the exchange company and they sent down a Rep who basically shouted at him to remove her. During that meeting the head teacher was trying to trick me into admitting to have broken rules like dating students etc, haha nice one.

She'd send me letters and lingerie in envelopes through teachers who didn't know what was going on. I showed my classmates and they suggested I copy everything because the head teacher was a weasel and would hide evidence. Some of the letters were her asking to marry me

Her husband was some American who wrote the baseball column for the English yomiuri shinbun, and asked me to meet him over it

I took two friends with me, he was kind irked I brought people and tried to make out it was a misunderstanding so I gave him copies of the letters and photos she had been sending me via teachers. He just kept trying to downplay I so I left.

I had a new teacher assigned who was a real tough cookie till I explained what had happened, I think the head teacher made out that I was a bad person. The letters stopped after that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

like a decade ago in hangzhou i was wearing shorts and some children on a bus touched my legs cuz i have hairy legs i guess and said i was like a monkey. I also heard the monkey comment (but no touching) about my arm and leg hair from kids in Taiwan when I studied abroad there a billion years ago.

from like 2008-2010 randos would stop me to tell me i looked like harry potter a lot. sometimes taking pictures with me unknowingly. i think this was the fate of any bespectacled white dude with brown hair tho.

i have been in a small # of more serious scuffles but these generally didn't have to do with me specifically being a foreigner.

these days its weird cuz i keep reading stories in wechat groups or on reddit about how random gangs of chinese dudes go around and beat up white dudes on the reg, but i've never seen anything approaching that.

Grand Fromage posted:

in the reddit post (beyond what got posted here) she says shes blonde and blue eyed. she also makes a point to say her family is v. rich, for some reason lol

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 27, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ailumao posted:

from like 2008-2010 randos would stop me to tell me i looked like harry potter a lot. sometimes taking pictures with me unknowingly. i think this was the fate of any bespectacled white dude with brown hair tho.

Not China, bur re: randos taking photos.

My brother and his wife were in India at some park or temple or other when one of the scam photographers came up to them to take their picture, (It is a thing, scammer takes photos of tourists at tourist spot and charges them exorbitant fees for the photo). My brother tried to wave him away, but the bloke said it was all paid for by the smiling young Indian couple standing about 5 metres away who just wanted a picture of the white couple that they had never met. Not even a picture together, just a picture of my brother and his wife.

It also happened a lot with my mum. Whenever we were out in public as a family, she, (as the white woman), would get, if not mobbed, but at least crowded and with strangers wanting to take photos together.

Never happened with me. The best I got was once taking an auto rickshaw in Bengalau back to my uncles house with my dad, the driver asked him, (in Kannada), who the man was that he was travelling with. Dad replied that I was his son, and the driver lost his mind.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

When I was a student in Japan I didn't really know Japanese and had a teacher to get me up to scratch to pass the regional entry test, I did pretty well. She was at least double my age.

She would take me on excursions etc, very platonic, she did complain about her husband to me and while we were at a zoo mentioned he was into wierd sex stuff I laughed and ignored it.

After natsu yasumi she had sent my host family an envelope full of photos and I took them out at the dinner table and held one up of her in lingerie like wtf haha, and she had a note asking me to meet in a park, I went and met her, when I gave her back the photos she said I had rejected her, but still wanted to take me to a beetle museum, I was a bit weirded out and left

I complained to the school about it and my host parents backed me up, the head teacher refused to do anything so I got in touch with the exchange company and they sent down a Rep who basically shouted at him to remove her. During that meeting the head teacher was trying to trick me into admitting to have broken rules like dating students etc, haha nice one.

She'd send me letters and lingerie in envelopes through teachers who didn't know what was going on. I showed my classmates and they suggested I copy everything because the head teacher was a weasel and would hide evidence. Some of the letters were her asking to marry me

Her husband was some American who wrote the baseball column for the English yomiuri shinbun, and asked me to meet him over it

I took two friends with me, he was kind irked I brought people and tried to make out it was a misunderstanding so I gave him copies of the letters and photos she had been sending me via teachers. He just kept trying to downplay I so I left.

I had a new teacher assigned who was a real tough cookie till I explained what had happened, I think the head teacher made out that I was a bad person. The letters stopped after that.

in another realm during different times this would have evolved into a grand story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Booty Pageant posted:

in another realm during different times this would have evolved into a grand story
If only he had imbibed the magical elixir, half-and-half.