Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Jaxyon posted:

People really don't get how bad covid has run in the US.

People talk about how bad other countries are doing and most of them at a fraction of what the good states in the US are at.

It's been very jarring to hear the differences in my home state versus my current Canadian province of roughly the same population

It's just so starkly awful in the US by comparison it's not even close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Smeef posted:

I am definitely going to need photographic evidence to believe that a neckbeard can have a deep enough plunge to fit a mask over it

“Neckbeards”, before they became an Internet darling insult, were a style of facial hair grown only on the neck, with the front of the face shaved daily.

Thoreau could have worn something like a 3M 8210 or an elastomeric respirator no problem. He might have had issues with the 3M Aura or most KF94s, because those slide deeply under the chin.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I bet Thoreau would have been anti-mask and anti-vaxx as hell.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

If the West wanted to provide vaccines to the rest of the world, they would have built more manufacturing capacity, but it’s not short‐term profitable, so they didn’t.

In the last iteration of this thread, I recall posters (some seeming to be intimately familiar with pharmaceutical industry production and supply chain) claiming that even if everyone wanted to build more mrna production it wasn't possible because there was new technology and parts of the supply chain that couldn't keep up, probably for years. Then this was used as a rebuttal to people wanting the IP to be shared and not enforced.

Question for everyone not just yourself platystemon, did this turn out to be true? Could production have increased or be increased now?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Fallom posted:

It's a false dilemma as long as the west is busily chucking doses in dumpsters by the million

It also depends on the assumption that the number of people getting boosted won't be a fraction of the vaccinated population

Part of the issue is that the Mrna vaccines need to be kept in a freezer, and before they needed a deep freeze for storage. This makes it harder to transport and harder to store in some of the more impovershered parts of the world. And I think that once they are taken out or warmed they cant be stored again due to the Mrna breakdown. This doesn't apply as significantly to the JJ vaccine but it still needs to be refrigerated, which makes distribution an issue. Some of the information has changed since the vaccines have been around, distribution was the major hurdle with Mrna, and its been changing as better practices or understanding has come about this year.

Mind you this isnt trying to handwave away things, we should be vaccinating everyone and giving out free vaccines to other countries, its just that some things aren't as simple as drop a pallet down with it. Partly because we don't want a repeat of that one pharmacist that destroyed a ton of them back in February.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

droll posted:

In the last iteration of this thread, I recall posters (some seeming to be intimately familiar with pharmaceutical industry production and supply chain) claiming that even if everyone wanted to build more mrna production it wasn't possible because there was new technology and parts of the supply chain that couldn't keep up, probably for years. Then this was used as a rebuttal to people wanting the IP to be shared and not enforced.

Question for everyone not just yourself platystemon, did this turn out to be true? Could production have increased or be increased now?

The techs honestly pretty new and specialized I believe, and with anything medical its not as simple as give the IP out, to make the actual product takes time and months typically. Thats before you even count that you need the FDA to approve the line and everything. This is where Sundae would be awesome to help explain this stuff, its literally what he did working with the pharm companies.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

droll posted:

While it may feel like years have passed, they in fact have not. Several existing plants were converted to produce Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, for example BioNTech bought a Novartis plant and began manufacturing in April. New MRNA factory sites have begun being built all over the world, with openings expected in 2023. Biden authorized a waiver of IP rights for the Covid vaccines that the US developed back in May.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kaal posted:

While it may feel like years have passed, they in fact have not. Several existing plants were converted to produce Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, for example BioNTech bought a Novartis plant and began manufacturing in April. New MRNA factory sites have begun being built all over the world, with openings expected in 2023. Biden authorized a waiver of IP rights for the Covid vaccines that the US developed back in May.

So the claim that the west could have built more manufacturing capacity but didn't is wrong?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

droll posted:

So the claim that the west could have built more manufacturing capacity but didn't is wrong?

The West is building more manufacturing capacity, and it is also converting existing sites to produce successful vaccines. But it takes time to do that, as expected.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Part of the issue is that the Mrna vaccines need to be kept in a freezer, and before they needed a deep freeze for storage. This makes it harder to transport and harder to store in some of the more impovershered parts of the world. And I think that once they are taken out or warmed they cant be stored again due to the Mrna breakdown. This doesn't apply as significantly to the JJ vaccine but it still needs to be refrigerated, which makes distribution an issue. Some of the information has changed since the vaccines have been around, distribution was the major hurdle with Mrna, and its been changing as better practices or understanding has come about this year.

Mind you this isnt trying to handwave away things, we should be vaccinating everyone and giving out free vaccines to other countries, its just that some things aren't as simple as drop a pallet down with it. Partly because we don't want a repeat of that one pharmacist that destroyed a ton of them back in February.

Also my understanding is that despite popular perception here on the forums, actual vaccine wastage remains quite low in the United States - around two percent. This rate is also largely concentrated in the small town clinics and pharmacies that have been struggling to connect with their Republican communities, and lack the storage facilities required to hold the vaccine long-term. If you aren't living in that sort of community, then it is likely that very little vaccine is being wasted.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

droll posted:

Upholding quality control was also an important factor. Ramping up production rapidly without hiccups basically never happens. But hiccups with vaccines can undermine public confidence and contribute to lower uptake. Here in HK one of the early batches of BioNTech (manufactured in China, I believe, not by Pfizer) had a packaging defect — nothing wrong with the actual vaccine, no danger to anyone, etc — and it led to a ridiculous amount of fear. In hindsight I bet a lot of the subsequent vaccine skepticism can be traced to the initial foothold of panic created by that one minor issue.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Smeef posted:

Upholding quality control was also an important factor. Ramping up production rapidly without hiccups basically never happens. But hiccups with vaccines can undermine public confidence and contribute to lower uptake. Here in HK one of the early batches of BioNTech (manufactured in China, I believe, not by Pfizer) had a packaging defect — nothing wrong with the actual vaccine, no danger to anyone, etc — and it led to a ridiculous amount of fear. In hindsight I bet a lot of the subsequent vaccine skepticism can be traced to the initial foothold of panic created by that one minor issue.

This is a massive thing to, see how bad the misinformation is right now when there's almost no issues, now imagine it they could scream that the vaccines dont work due to a manufacturing defect or actively are contaminated due to people rushing production.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I don't work in pharma but I do work in industrial control systems that are very similar, to the point of using the same software/control mechanisms. poo poo is crazy complicated and the products I support are nowhere near as complex as a novel pharmaceutical. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we are essentially at throughput capacity and if someone said it would take another 3 years to scale up I would say "ya that sounds about right".

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Smeef posted:

Course he was also a social distance grand champion so it’s probably a wash.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

droll posted:

Yes. We’re not putting maximum effective effort into this. We’re making decisions based on demand in the West, with no regard for the global south.

My bold:

quote:

CureVac N.V. (Nasdaq: CVAC), a global biopharmaceutical company developing a new class of transformative medicines based on messenger ribonucleic acid (“mRNA”), today announced its strategic decision to adjust the long-term footprint of the external European manufacturing network for its mRNA product pipeline. The decision was made in response to the reduced short-term peak demand for vaccines following the first wave of the pandemic vaccination efforts and corresponding changes in the demand of its first-generation COVID-19 vaccine candidate, CVnCoV, currently under regulatory review with the European Medicines Agency (EMA). As a result, the existing contracts with WACKER for the manufacturing of the mRNA drug substance of CVnCoV and Celonic for the manufacturing and formulation of the mRNA drug substance of CVnCoV will be terminated. CureVac’s existing agreements with Rentschler Biopharma and Novartis for mRNA production and formulation are unaffected by this adjustment and remain in place. Streamlining of capacity does not limit availability of clinical trial material for CV2CoV, the second-generation COVID-19 vaccine candidate jointly developed with GSK, expected to enter the clinic in the fourth quarter of 2021.

“The continuous increase in mRNA manufacturing capacity together with the progress of large-scale vaccination efforts have strongly changed the demand for our first-generation COVID-19 vaccine, CVnCoV, over the last months,” said Dr. Malte Greune, Chief Operating Officer of CureVac. “The development from a very high, short-term pandemic demand to broader availability of vaccines has led us to re-evaluate our immediate manufacturing capacity requirements in order to align the capacity with actual commercial and clinical capacity needs for CVnCoV. We would like to thank both our manufacturing partners for their dedication and effort in achieving our common goal to combat the pandemic with this key technology.”

CureVac first announced the build-up of its broad external European manufacturing network in November 2020, next to the ongoing expansion of large in-house clinical and commercial manufacturing capacities. Since then, several manufacturing agreements were made with highly experienced Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization partners for each of the key manufacturing steps for CVnCoV. The agreements with WACKER and Celonic were cancelled within the agreed contractual termination provisions. The parties agreed not to disclose financial details of the cancellation.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Hi, Rona thread. Hate to do a “I haven’t been reading the thread, but” post, but it’s booster time for me and the local heath department is going to give people the luxury of choosing their own vaccine this time.

Since I haven’t been paying attention since the start of summer, what’s the current data on vaccine efficacy? I had Pfizer back in the spring, for whatever that’s worth. I’m okay taking anything risk-wise, just want the one that statistically works the best.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Craptacular! posted:

Since I haven’t been paying attention since the start of summer, what’s the current data on vaccine efficacy? I had Pfizer back in the spring, for whatever that’s worth. I’m okay taking anything risk-wise, just want the one that statistically works the best.

Moderna over Pfizer but don't stress about the difference.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Smeef posted:

never got the hate for thoreau, he opposed war and slavery to the extent that he was arrested about it

thats a lot more conviction than most white men from the 19th century that people look up to

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like they make childhood immunization schedules so complicated for a reason. You couldn't just "bandit" all the vaccines in one day and get the same effect.

you pretty much can do exactly that as an adult with very few exceptions (like the pneumococcal vaccines PCV13 & PPSV23 needing to be spaced)

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Vasukhani posted:

never got the hate for thoreau, he opposed war and slavery to the extent that he was arrested about it

thats a lot more conviction than most white men from the 19th century that people look up to
He talked big talk about "simplify" and living alone in the wilderness while his mother and sister cooked and did laundry for him.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

you pretty much can do exactly that as an adult with very few exceptions (like the pneumococcal vaccines PCV13 & PPSV23 needing to be spaced)

There is absolutely schedules for adults for vaccines:

Different vaccines have different numbers of doses, different spacing. You can take all different vaccines all together if you want, but you can't like, speedrun your rabies treatment by taking all 5 shots in an hour. You can't booster bandit a bunch of HPV vaccines in a month then be extra double immune because you did it faster, or like, take a double sized needle with double doses to cut two shots into one.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Jethro posted:

He talked big talk about "simplify" and living alone in the wilderness while his mother and sister cooked and did laundry for him.

Thoreau was a goon ahead of his time. Supported radicals like John Brown, prolific writer/poster, pretty misanthropic and reclusive, lived in the backyard, had a fashionable neckbeard.

My old man always wears a shirt with the Thoreau quote "Simplify, simplify, simplify," and it drives me nuts. Wouldn't just "simplify" have been more fitting?

Smeef fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 26, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Different vaccines have different numbers of doses, different spacing. You can take all different vaccines all together if you want, but you can't like, speedrun your rabies treatment by taking all 5 shots in an hour. You can't booster bandit a bunch of HPV vaccines in a month then be extra double immune because you did it faster, or like, take a double sized needle with double doses to cut two shots into one.

Everyone knows this. It's becoming increasingly obvious that the "complicated schedule" for COVID-19 is "every 6 months" is all, and the US authorities were way behind the science on this during the first Delta wave. I'm not even sure what you're arguing about given no one in the world is promoting "get 5 shots in an hour", though the double doses thing seemed to have some truth with Pfizer vs Biggie Moderna.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

poll plane variant posted:

Everyone knows this. It's becoming increasingly obvious that the "complicated schedule" for COVID-19 is "every 6 months" is all, and the US authorities were way behind the science on this during the first Delta wave. I'm not even sure what you're arguing about given no one in the world is promoting "get 5 shots in an hour", though the double doses thing seemed to have some truth with Pfizer vs Biggie Moderna.

pfizer and moderna use different things with the Mrna, and utilize different types of carrier lipids, its not the same thing

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

poll plane variant posted:

The point is, people should listen to real doctors, not idiots like you on the internet when deciding when to get medications. Anything you did or did not guess correctly is dumb luck, not because you are qualified to give medical advice or that medical advice is just some matter of opinion where doctors say one thing and you say another and everyone has to agree to disagree. When you give medical advice to people you are wrong and are doing something dangerous.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The point is, people should listen to real doctors, not idiots like you on the internet when deciding when to get medications. Anything you did or did not guess correctly is dumb luck, not because you are qualified to give medical advice or that medical advice is just some matter of opinion where doctors say one thing and you say another and everyone has to agree to disagree. When you give medical advice to people you are wrong and are doing something dangerous.

Why are you being so dramatic? This is a simple decision someone can make without the consultation of their doctor. This is like deciding to get a flu shot. Do you lecture people about getting flu shots and carefully weighing the pros and cons with their doctor... no of course you don't. You literally drive to any pharmacy and get this simple shot and pay for it with your insurance. There's no need to complicate this any more than that.

This is an endemic disease. This is how things are now. This is the new normal. Why are you making it out that getting a covid shot isn't just a routine thing you do? There's no need to make this into some complicated and lengthy decision. It's everywhere now, you get the shot every six months. Done. Close the thread.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I supported fast-tracking an established Israeli policy that had both strong trials and strong real-world data long before the US implemented the booster program (separate from the third dose program). Specifically with Pfizer it was obvious by early July that boosters were badly-needed and safe/effective. The poor state of covid surveillance in the US made waning and variant effects extremely hard to pin down using domestic data, but with Pfizer specifically something was clearly going on in Israel.

Unfortunately, Moderna's booster dosing change, and the lack of clear foreign data regarding Moderna at the "by the book" 4-week interval, meant that you couldn't really say much about it except that it obviously wasn't the 94%-effective-against-infection vaccine that it had been last spring. I won't criticize anyone for being more cautious with it, except the US for not tracking breakthroughs sufficiently to spot the issues. By the time we had the booster data at 50mcg, approval as a booster was right around the corner.

A 6-month interval forever isn't anything I can say I am sure about 100%, but based on where the Israelis are headed with this I think we'll see it until there's a true escape variant. Circulating antibodies seem to be key for managing the more infectious variants where an immune memory response is too delayed to be much use.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mod sassinator posted:

Why are you being so dramatic? This is a simple decision someone can make without the consultation of their doctor. This is like deciding to get a flu shot. Do you lecture people about getting flu shots and carefully weighing the pros and cons with their doctor... no of course you don't. You literally drive to any pharmacy and get this simple shot and pay for it with your insurance. There's no need to complicate this any more than that.

This is an endemic disease. This is how things are now. This is the new normal. Why are you making it out that getting a covid shot isn't just a routine thing you do? There's no need to make this into some complicated and lengthy decision. It's everywhere now, you get the shot every six months. Done. Close the thread.

Those directions to "just get a flu shot" first came from doctors, not random posters on the internet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Smeef posted:

My old man always wears a shirt with the Thoreau quote "Simplify, simplify, simplify," and it drives me nuts. Wouldn't just "simplify" have been more fitting?

NGL I'd wear that shirt ironically for the praise of the maybe three people who'd get the irony.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Only 269 cases in Ontario today, 7 day average continues to drop. That's with everything basically open except masking required indoors if you aren't eating or drinking. However we do have a pretty high vax rate. 88%/84% eligible one shot/fully vaxxed, 77%/74% total pop one shot/fully vaxxed.

However:

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/co...eload-1.5638825

That's a lot of cases for such a small portion of the population.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
There's still capacity limits on a lot of venues (anywhere you're required to be vaccinated has no capacity limits as of yesterday, but there's lots of indoor areas where that's not true), and a lot of controls on schools.

But yeah, it's overall good news. Ontario also announced a slow reopening plan that ends with the mask mandate ending in March. I think if cases genuinely continue along the same trajectory I'm OK with the plan, but my worry is they won't and the PCs will stick to the plan regardless.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, Ford is a horrible Conservative but he does seem to back down if people yell at him enough and he does seem somewhat worried of his poll ratings going the same way as Kenney if he follows a similar path.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 26, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mod sassinator posted:

The point isn't that you need to consult your specific doctor, the point is you need to take it on a schedule and dosage that is medically recommended. When they say 6 months and some internet guy goes "eh, get it at 4 months and lie" you aren't actually cheating the system. If the dose is a half dose and you go "eh, I want a full one", you are unlikely to do any actual harm to yourself but the whole idea that medicine is some matter of opinion and you should just do whatever feels right is stupid and dangerous.

If you get bit by a rabid dog and they say 5 shots over 4 weeks and you decide "eh, I wanna make sure I don't get it, I have the money, I'll get 10 shots in 2 weeks, no,, I'll get 20 shots in 1 week! really protect myself" you have not actually gotten some sort of extra special premium You just hosed up your dose so it works less.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The point isn't that you need to consult your specific doctor, the point is you need to take it on a schedule and dosage that is medically recommended. When they say 6 months and some internet guy goes "eh, get it at 4 months and lie" you aren't actually cheating the system. If the dose is a half dose and you go "eh, I want a full one", you are unlikely to do any actual harm to yourself but the whole idea that medicine is some matter of opinion and you should just do whatever feels right is stupid and dangerous.

If you get bit by a rabid dog and they say 5 shots over 4 weeks and you decide "eh, I wanna make sure I don't get it, I have the money, I'll get 10 shots in 2 weeks, no,, I'll get 20 shots in 1 week! really protect myself" you have not actually gotten some sort of extra special premium You just hosed up your dose so it works less.

What happened was the US was saying "the vaccine is perfect forever, burn your mask" while scientists working with larger/better/longer-term vaccination datasets were saying "5-6 months". At no point was an internet guy saying anything other than "we should look at the Israeli data and policymaking because if it's anywhere near true, 'you're vaccinated, start acting like it' is doomed"

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Medically recommended by who? US doctors? Israeli? Other? The advice has been all over the place the entire time. Your type wants to wait and follow the rules of whichever authority you have deemed (with absolutely no way to verify their competency) correct. Others will look at advice that varies across countries and make their own decisions.

Your holier than thou attitude on this and complete faith in a single source is hilarious. Once these vaccines are fully researched and there is consensus across the board - sure, you have a point. Right now though you are just as dogmatic as anyone else.

Go get boosters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Where were you when Canada and the UK were giving the second shot at intervals much greater than had been tested in the clinical trials?

Was that or was that not substantially more reckless than taking a third dose at four months?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Where were you when Canada and the UK were giving the second shot at intervals much greater than had been tested in the clinical trials?

Was that or was that not substantially more reckless than taking a third dose at four months?

Who knows, maybe they could research that, or maybe they could just read Facebook And some forums and come to their own conclusions Since both are apparently equivalent

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh yeah rabies is a really solid comparison and not disingenuous at all.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Who knows, maybe they could research that, or maybe they could just read Facebook And some forums and come to their own conclusions Since both are apparently equivalent

I feel like if this is your point you should be arguing that this thread be shut down to prevent the disinformation of "you should get boosters, no need to consult your doctor"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

I feel like if this is your point you should be arguing that this thread be shut down to prevent the disinformation of "you should get boosters, no need to consult your doctor"

I mean, you should get boosters, that is the recommendation, you should not make up weird fake internet plans to change up the dosing and scheduling to something some internet IT manager told you was the real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I don't think anyone in this thread is recommending anything other than a booster at 6 months.

I do think the point that "you should rely on expert advice and not make up your own or rely on social media" is a sound one, but I do think it's reasonable to point to scientific consensus and policy outside your own country.