Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The only reason to purchase a PlayStation is to play final fantasy games as they release.

As an aside I’d sure like a PlayStation 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SearchInward
Oct 22, 2021

jokes posted:

The only reason to purchase a PlayStation is to play final fantasy games as they release.

As an aside I’d sure like a PlayStation 5.

Yep. That's the main reason I'll be buying PS5 is alongside the FF16 release.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
And yet the pixel remasters still don’t have a date on console…

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Dewgy posted:

some don't have a date for any platform!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
RA2 and 3 were fantastic. Yeah 3 was camp as gently caress and a little too parody but you know what, gently caress it, I enjoyed it.

Also Bethesda games are ridiculously buggy, horribly broken from the get go, and just kind of bleh. But no one makes a game like they do just quite right, and so I'll probably buy the basic bitch Xbox to play Starfield and TES6.

Also the new Borderlands already sealed that honestly. Yeah Borderlands is trash blah blah, it's a dumb shooter with pretty colours. I'm a simple girl when it comes to vidjas.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

abigserve posted:

Dishonored was enough of that sort of game for me basically forever. I played three or so levels of the sequel and was like "I've played this already"

Combat sandboxes aren't really interesting to me anymore

You can only like what you like, but imo Dishonored 2 is their worst game. it makes Dishonored bigger and better on paper but I found it pretty dull compared to the first one. Prey and Deathloop amount to a lot more than just Dishonored with a different skin. Prey is their standout game imo, but Deathloop is pretty ambitious even if it doesn't always stick the landing 100% it's still a cool game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hate reach and wish I could go back and play as Corbin to get blink

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Dewgy posted:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

veni veni veni posted:

You can only like what you like, but imo Dishonored 2 is their worst game. it makes Dishonored bigger and better on paper but I found it pretty dull compared to the first one. Prey and Deathloop amount to a lot more than just Dishonored with a different skin. Prey is their standout game imo, but Deathloop is pretty ambitious even if it doesn't always stick the landing 100% it's still a cool game.

I didn't even realise prey was one of theirs because it's so different - props to them, that's a really good game.

I'll play deathloop when it comes on sale

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

abigserve posted:

I didn't even realise prey was one of theirs because it's so different - props to them, that's a really good game.

I'll play deathloop when it comes on sale

Arkane at this point is two studios, the one in Lyon France and the other in Austin Texas. They share duties, but broadly Dishonored and Deathloop are from the French side and Prey and Redfall are from the Austin branch.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

SCheeseman posted:

Arkane at this point is two studios, the one in Lyon France and the other in Austin Texas. They share duties, but broadly Dishonored and Deathloop are from the French side and Prey and Redfall are from the Austin branch.

Interesting. Prey is by far their best game. The rest are insanely mediocre

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I have issues with the Dishonored games, but am a sucker for imsims so I enjoyed them a lot anyway. The levels design is fantastic and the gameplay systems are fun, but that they managed to dissolve much of the agency you might usually have on the core story down to a chaos meter makes anything you do feel a little inconsequential and it's more fun to kill everyone anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Outside of Dishonored 2 I can't think of a worse word to describe Arkane's output than "mediocre". They actually try new poo poo and gently caress around with the structure of their games significantly, in a way that most devs aren't brave enough to do. Deathloop is flawed but it sure as hell isn't a good example of mediocrity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My gripe with dishonored 2 was that the levels felt too big and I often find myself wishing they were cut down a bit. Combined with the fact that bone charms and the upgrade points were scattered sometimes way the gently caress away from the direction of your objectives, it just kinda makes the game drag

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm not complaining yet but Dishonored, Prey and Deathloop do all feel like the same engine. The movement still feels like Dishonored, the spells overlap and the combat has really evolved very little from Dishonored to Deathloop. If they keep this up it's going to start feeling a little bit ubisoft after a while. Though the world design is of course much more varied.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nintendo has managed to put out the absolute worst N64 emulator in about 15 years and then charge people for the privilege.

The unpopular opinion is I believe this is what Nintendo fans truly want.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

poverty goat posted:

I'm not complaining yet but Dishonored, Prey and Deathloop do all feel like the same engine. The movement still feels like Dishonored, the spells overlap and the combat has really evolved very little from Dishonored to Deathloop. If they keep this up it's going to start feeling a little bit ubisoft after a while. Though the world design is of course much more varied.

Dishonored 2 and Deathloop both share the same engine and mechanics, but Prey is pretty different. A little kludgier, maybe, on top of being on a different engine (Crytek).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

site posted:

My gripe with dishonored 2 was that the levels felt too big and I often find myself wishing they were cut down a bit. Combined with the fact that bone charms and the upgrade points were scattered sometimes way the gently caress away from the direction of your objectives, it just kinda makes the game drag

Death of the Outsider is sort of a streamlined version of the main game. Smaller levels, less options but more focus. To be honest I prefer the sprawl and options but you might like it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

Nintendo has managed to put out the absolute worst N64 emulator in about 15 years and then charge people for the privilege.

The unpopular opinion is I believe this is what Nintendo fans truly want.

Nintendo fans are in a toxic relationship and must :sever:

SCheeseman posted:

Death of the Outsider is sort of a streamlined version of the main game. Smaller levels, less options but more focus. To be honest I prefer the sprawl and options but you might like it.

Death of the Outsider is the weakest entry in the series, imo. Level design isn't good or interesting. The powers aren't fun. The story (if you care about that) is bad.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Dishonored 2 and Deathloop both share the same engine and mechanics, but Prey is pretty different. A little kludgier, maybe, on top of being on a different engine (Crytek).

climbing around the environment feels pretty similar across all 3 imo

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I just got done with deus ex mankind divided and had fun. Kind of bummed since squeenix put that IP in cold storage and who knows if or when we’ll ever see anything new.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

meat police posted:

I just got done with deus ex mankind divided and had fun. Kind of bummed since squeenix put that IP in cold storage and who knows if or when we’ll ever see anything new.

Same. Zero interest in the Marvel poo poo they're doing instead now :(

Edit: We could've had a new Deus Ex instead of Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel's Avengers. That would've been nice.

itry fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 26, 2021

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

itry posted:

Same. Zero interest in the Marvel poo poo they're doing instead now :(

Edit: We could've had a new Deus Ex instead of Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel's Avengers. That would've been nice.

It’s like a curse across the board. instead of xcom 3 we’re getting 4x marvel superhero crap from firaxis as well :(

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I thought Invisible War was allot of fun
Disco Elysium is kinda boring
Im gay

itry
Aug 23, 2019

meat police posted:

It’s like a curse across the board. instead of xcom 3 we’re getting 4x marvel superhero crap from firaxis as well :(

loving Disney is ruining everything. Soon it will just be a desert full of nothing but marvel characters.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I didn't like Deus Ex 2 at all (played on original xbox) but I genuinely loved Human Revolution and thought it was a more than worthy successor to the original

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HR was like 75% of the way there to being a great game and if the sequel had been just a little better instead of way worse it could have been a classic. alas, Mankind Divided was a snooze though.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I didn't like Deus Ex 2 at all (played on original xbox) but I genuinely loved Human Revolution and thought it was a more than worthy successor to the original

I agree it's a great game and the boss fights are SO bad I almost quit playing at every boss

i found out the boss fights were outsourced to some other company to make, so when the main team was making a stealth focused game some chinese studio was making some poo poo that involved you throwing tons of grenades at some fuckin tank with a gatling gun for an arm.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I agree it's a great game and the boss fights are SO bad I almost quit playing at every boss

i found out the boss fights were outsourced to some other company to make, so when the main team was making a stealth focused game some chinese studio was making some poo poo that involved you throwing tons of grenades at some fuckin tank with a gatling gun for an arm.

they did go back and change them so there's always a way into a vent where you can go hack something to beat the boss or whatever

I was happy with human revolution and mankind divided for the most part as I felt they were as true to the source material as we ever could have hoped for in a AAA game from a big developer at the time but to replay them again they are really in the weeds of that really lovely era of cover systems. and the scene where you are shot down and ambushed and have to defend the pilot or not is one of the worst examples ever of scenes that make the pacifist achievement loving stupid and tone deaf

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

veni veni veni posted:

HR was like 75% of the way there to being a great game and if the sequel had been just a little better instead of way worse it could have been a classic. alas, Mankind Divided was a snooze though.

Naw MD was good, beginning and end aside. The insanely rapacious dlc model was bad too.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

The microtransactions on a single player game was a goofy rear end move. SE did that on thief 4 as well and managed to effectively kill two of my fav IP’s with it.

I tried breach in mankind divided and the whole loot box / random card draw, timed missions is like they took Deus Ex and stripped it of anything fun.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

poverty goat posted:

and the scene where you are shot down and ambushed and have to defend the pilot or not is one of the worst examples ever of scenes that make the pacifist achievement loving stupid and tone deaf

I saved the pilot without killing anyone :smug:

But the boss fights were ridiculous when you were going for a stealth build.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

for a stealth run you basically have to hoard candy for that encounter and go on a takedown rampage punctuated by stuffing your face with energy bars

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Yeah that‘s what I did. And I abused the fact you are able to save/load in the middle of the fights.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I ended up hoarding the energy weapons for the boss fights, or if things got lethally dicey enough to bother. Ended up stumbling on the strat that wipes out the final boss before you even get a good look at it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

poverty goat posted:

so...the games are in some sort of...infinite shape of dying? some sort of...mortem circle?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

poverty goat posted:

they did go back and change them so there's always a way into a vent where you can go hack something to beat the boss or whatever

I was happy with human revolution and mankind divided for the most part as I felt they were as true to the source material as we ever could have hoped for in a AAA game from a big developer at the time but to replay them again they are really in the weeds of that really lovely era of cover systems. and the scene where you are shot down and ambushed and have to defend the pilot or not is one of the worst examples ever of scenes that make the pacifist achievement loving stupid and tone deaf

I remember in HR i'd always put one single point in typhoon and if you spam that right next to any/all bosses they went down w/ 0 issue. cheap as hell but so is forcing me to kill when i never loving asked for this

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked Alan Wake. Not a masterpiece and driving past giant Verizon billboards during tense moments wrecked immersion, but exploring and combat were fun and the story was ok.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Alan Wake controls terribly (camera and movement) so I never could get into it.

Excelzior posted:

for a stealth run you basically have to hoard candy for that encounter and go on a takedown rampage punctuated by stuffing your face with energy bars

I think you can just throw a couple of EMP grenades at the general direction of the robots and just rush everything else with a stun gun.

Edit: Anyway, I'm sure that option was put there as an easter egg, and they didn't expect most people to even try. It's a reward for those who do.

itry fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked Alan Wake. Not a masterpiece and driving past giant Verizon billboards during tense moments wrecked immersion, but exploring and combat were fun and the story was ok.
Was this a US thing? I don't remember Verizon ads in the UK version and I just played the new remaster and I didn't see them.