Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You don't buy these to actually play, you buy them so somebody will see it on your desk and say "is that a wood grain game boy?"

And then you load up tony hawk on it and they will be impressed for several seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Third Party Retro Consoles: they will be impressed for several seconds

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’d say a good use of them is finally getting through a series you’ve wanted to finally experience. Like, I never played through the Metroid series and I just beat Zero Mission on my 351v and am now moving onto Samus Returns on the 3ds, then back to the 351v for Super/Fusion and finally Switch for Dread.

Also wanted to go through the Quintet trilogy on SNES (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Disappointing Pie posted:

You guys get the game choice paralysis with these devices just like with your Steam collection? I’ll play a game for a couple minutes and just bounce around before just giving up playing anything. :(

Emulator Syndrome has been a thing since like, Dreamcast discs full of barely working SNES ROMs or Xbox modding. Retroachivements has actually fixed it for me a little bit, I'm weirdly much more likely to just try something with cheevos even though nobody will ever look at my profile?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I like to make a playlist called "Queue" for stuff I haven't started yet but want to, another called "Playing", and then favorite one or two things in "Playing" to be my current default. Also have another playlist called "Pickup" for stuff like Tetris, Picross, or certain arcade games.

351Elec's updated emulationstation playlist management makes doing this easy, but I don't like that OS because of the way it messes with Retroarch settings, so I fumble through ArkOS's instead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So watching through Retro Game Corps video he did a couple months ago about the Adam image for the RG350 & RG280 has convinced me that for the moment at least I'll probably be best off just using that on my regular RG350(even if opening that thing is an enormous pain in the rear end) rather than buying a newer handheld* as between that and the DS Flash Cart I have in my 2DS that covers most of the systems I'd be wanting to play in a portable fashion anyways(and if I did want to do PSP or Dreamcast or other higher end consoles I could probably make do using my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 and a Bluetooth controller)

*well besides maybe doing a Steam Deck next year if I have a steady job by then, but that's a whole different tier of product than most of the things discussed in this thread anyways

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I've not toyed with it too much, but on my 280V (that I might end up giving to a mate seeing as I have the 351M), the Adam image is pretty darn solid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You guys get the game choice paralysis with these devices just like with your Steam collection? I’ll play a game for a couple minutes and just bounce around before just giving up playing anything. :(

Yes. Then I just fire up super Mario world for the 8 billionth time

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

SubG posted:

If GBA is your highest priority then the Anbernic RG351P/M is pretty much perfect because of the screen. You'll end up having to non-integer scale (or leave tiny and unscaled) SNES and other poo poo that's natively 4:3 though. The RG351MP/V are pretty much perfect for those, but then you're forced to settle on the non-4:3 stuff.

All of the above will theoretically handle PS1, although I use a hacked Vita for that so I don't know if there are specific titles that are known to cause problems or whatever.

Thanks for your advice! The RG351P looks like it's ideal, but I've found some stuff saying that the screen is better on the RG350P. Is that true? What reasons are there to pick the RG351P over it? Does anyone have any examples of what non-integer scaling (or the biggest integer scaling you can get without going over the sides of the screen) looks like on either one of those?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tiny Myers posted:

Thanks for your advice! The RG351P looks like it's ideal, but I've found some stuff saying that the screen is better on the RG350P. Is that true? What reasons are there to pick the RG351P over it? Does anyone have any examples of what non-integer scaling (or the biggest integer scaling you can get without going over the sides of the screen) looks like on either one of those?
The breakdown of the different models is something like:

The RG350 series has the older JZ4770 CPU and 4:3 screens. The P is 320x240, the M is 640:480.

The RG351 series has the RK3326 CPU. The V and MP have 4:3 screens, both 640:480. The M and P have a 3:2 screen, 480x320.

Back before the 351V and MP, if you mostly wanted to play content that was natively 4:3 and you didn't care about e.g. PS1 or anything where you care about the newer CPU, then you might want to go with the RG350P or M because it was 4:3. When the 351V came out, it offered a 4:3 screen, but had a different layout than every other handheld I've just mentioned, so then you were deciding based on CPU, screen, and layout. Then the MP came out and it's got the same screen as the V, in the old style layout.

So at this point if you want a 4:3 screen I can't see much argument for the old 350M versus the 351MP unless the price difference decides it for you. On the other hand if you're mostly interested in GBA stuff, the GBA is natively 240x160, so the 351P/M's 480x320 is perfect.

As for what scaling and filtering looks like...there are, like, a lot of options. I think just running SNES9x 2005+ with bilinear filtering looks fine on a RG351P...but I still shelled out for a RG351MP when it came out, and use the 351P more or less exclusively for GBA stuff.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I think it's also worth pointing out that the 350M, 351V and 351MP all look just fine for GBA. It's not pixel-perfect scaling, but they're all powerful enough to be able to pre-scale the image and then filter that, which results in nice chunky pixels that are still properly interpolated and don't shimmer. And while you don't get as big a GBA picture with them as you do with the 351P or M, you still get a bigger picture than an actual GBA would give you.

Basically, I think the 640x480 displays handle GBA content better than the 480x320 displays handle standard 4:3 content.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I have a 351v and can confirm: GBA also works great with the scaling options and the 4:3 480p screen is better for almost every other console/arcade

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

el3m posted:

I have a 351v and can confirm: GBA also works great with the scaling options and the 4:3 480p screen is better for almost every other console/arcade
Yeah, played through Metroid Zero Mission on a 351v and with that sharp-bilinear-2x-prescale shader it looked clean as hell.
The only issue was some hand cramping over long periods of time from the vertical layout of the device.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Retroid’s website is teasing the 2+ PCB upgrade for the 29th, $65 USD

https://www.goretroid.com

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I haven’t used my RP2 since I got my 351V. Has anyone found a decent front end or is it still just “throw retroarch and a few other apps on it”?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I tried to get Pegasus (with gameOS) on it, but it was so incredibly slow and clunky that I ultimately gave up on the RP2. Not sure if I want to even both with the RP2+ at all since, realistically, it wouldn't make it any more valuable to me even if I did get Pegasus to load. Having a 351M is more than enough for my needs.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 26, 2021

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Has anybody been hands on with the RP2+ yet to see what it does better than the original?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rolo posted:

I haven’t used my RP2 since I got my 351V. Has anyone found a decent front end or is it still just “throw retroarch and a few other apps on it”?
No it's pretty much just DIG with a 640x480 lightweight wii-esque theme and a bunch of config file editing to get things looking less terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImKGB_rWKw

There's also Pegasus as mentioned and Reset Collection (paid) but the RP2 is too slow to run them well, especially with libraries in the hundreds or thousands. Lemuroid doesn't even run most emulators. Maybe these will work better with the 2+ PCB upgrade but for now don't worry about them.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Taki Udon is like, the official hype man or whatever for the company. He has a hands-on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAiWAClOW9M

He has a build guide up on his second channel too.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Since finding Russ at Retro Game Corps I haven't paid much attention to anyone else in this field but Taki's boner for the Retroid Pocket 2 really rubbed me the wrong way, it's obviously a device in some ways but he yeah must be getting paid under the table or something as much of a hype man as he is for that company at times.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It was 100% noticeable before Russ. The RP2 was HYPED by everyone when it was just… fine.

I’m probably gonna get the + to scratch my fiddle-itch but not actually play anything on it :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Since finding Russ at Retro Game Corps I haven't paid much attention to anyone else in this field but Taki's boner for the Retroid Pocket 2 really rubbed me the wrong way, it's obviously a device in some ways but he yeah must be getting paid under the table or something as much of a hype man as he is for that company at times.
There's no need to pay under the table when the pay4play is right in front of everyone's face. You get brand new exclusive access to the latest toys, you don't even have to pay for them, and you can put out videos first, before anyone else. And as long as you say the right things and downplay or ignore the faults, you'll keep getting more exclusive earliest access to the latest toys and watch your numbers skyrocket. Once other companies see your reputation they'll give you exclusives too, such as the whole Ayn Odin crowdfunding deal.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 26, 2021

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Russ loving kicks rear end.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Russ at Retro Game Corps is the best, I don't bother listening to anyone else

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
ETA Prime is also pretty good for this sort of thing, even if due to how 2021 and 2020 have been his output has leaned heavily on Tablets, Android Sticks, and Laptops & Micro-PC's in recent times

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

drrockso20 posted:

ETA Prime is also pretty good for this sort of thing, even if due to how 2021 and 2020 have been his output has leaned heavily on Tablets, Android Sticks, and Laptops & Micro-PC's in recent times

I like him. My favorite of his videos is buying random cheap refub PC on ebay/aliexpress and trying to figure out what level of emulation it can play. He is obsessed with the cost to emulation ratio.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I've said it before, wicked gamer is the only one I trust because he buys the cheap ali poo poo which is all I can afford

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

I found that I have to make a "to-beat" list and I stick to that or I wind up restarting the same poo poo over and over on different evenings and never make any progress.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

flavor.flv posted:

I've said it before, wicked gamer is the only one I trust because he buys the cheap ali poo poo which is all I can afford

That just reminded me that I bought a Pandora’s box 6 and lent it to my coworker almost 2 years ago. Dude still has it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

sethsez posted:

Basically, I think the 640x480 displays handle GBA content better than the 480x320 displays handle standard 4:3 content.
Yeah. It's worth mentioning that a 3.5" 640x480 display is almost but not quite a retina display in terms of dpi. It's really good for an inexpensive third party device.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I JUST got a 351m but was on the fence of getting the v because I wanted the big 480p screen, wonder if I got a mp if I could get $100 for my barely used m and just eat the $50 or so to upgrade

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Get used to eating money in this hobby.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Man I JUST got a 351m but was on the fence of getting the v because I wanted the big 480p screen, wonder if I got a mp if I could get $100 for my barely used m and just eat the $50 or so to upgrade

I’m not in the market, but $100 for a 351M would be an insta-buy if I didn’t have one already.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

:retrogames: :shepspends: :retrogames:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Haha well whatever I get I probably won't upgrade for awhile unless something can reliably do like PS2, but I just figure if I'm gonna get one to have for awhile I really did actually want the better screen to begin with

I guess I'll post it up on SA mart and link it here if I decide to do it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m lucky I have nephews.

Here wanna see what uncle Rolo used to play ok so here’s a YouTube video on how to get the core working…

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hmm I think a 351p or similar would make a really bitchin Christmas gift for my nephew, but he’s 10 and sucks at following instructions, just the type of kid that insists that he already knows everything. Maybe in a few more years?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

remigious posted:

Hmm I think a 351p or similar would make a really bitchin Christmas gift for my nephew, but he’s 10 and sucks at following instructions, just the type of kid that insists that he already knows everything. Maybe in a few more years?

It’s pretty easy to set up. I think they may even come set up already if you don’t care for the custom firmwares and whatnot. You could, in theory, just set up the SD card for him and give it to him with the card already in there.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If I have 351ELEC already set up on my M will it work seamlessly if it gets inserted into an MP or is the setup different for each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

LODGE NORTH posted:

It’s pretty easy to set up. I think they may even come set up already if you don’t care for the custom firmwares and whatnot. You could, in theory, just set up the SD card for him and give it to him with the card already in there.

Oh you’re totally right, I think I would just need to show him how to exit games and shut it off properly. :)
In other news I successfully got my 3ds xl set up the way I want with homebrew and I’m feeling very accomplished and happy to give that device a lot more use.