Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
This might be stating the obvious for most of us, but make sure to visit the guild airship every so and so hours to pick up guild buffs, which provide an enormous boost to a character of any level. Airship zone-ins can be found on most significant public hubs as marked by an anchor icon. Interact with the doohickey in the center of the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

huh, don't have access to sharn as VIP, which is weird because I swear i did it before. maybe there was a free period?

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

shahadien posted:

Could I get a guild invite when anybody gets a chance?

Character name: Critoris

If this is an option, I'd love a guild invite as well - name is Kerifleur. Thanks!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ihki posted:

This might be stating the obvious for most of us, but make sure to visit the guild airship every so and so hours to pick up guild buffs, which provide an enormous boost to a character of any level. Airship zone-ins can be found on most significant public hubs as marked by an anchor icon. Interact with the doohickey in the center of the deck.

also if you have a pet have them interact with it for buffs too for shits and giggles

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

If this is an option, I'd love a guild invite as well - name is Kerifleur. Thanks!

I tried to mail an invite to Kerifleur and it claimed it you didn't exist, are you on Argonessen?

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Ghosts! posted:

I tried to mail an invite to Kerifleur and it claimed it you didn't exist, are you on Argonessen?

I am, but I put down the wrong spelling of my character name. :( Please send the invite to Kyrifleur.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to salvage augments or should I grind a stockpile of these Night Revel gems?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Getting close to epic levels and im really liking this rogue staff build, definitely a lot smoother than the last one I played. Think once I hit epics I'm just gonna go through the forgotten realms sagas plus maybe giant hold and vault of night? Planning out destinies seems like a huge pain in the rear end and I'm glad it's going away

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

StashAugustine posted:

huh, don't have access to sharn as VIP, which is weird because I swear i did it before. maybe there was a free period?

Yea, there was a free period the last time they had a quest code.

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

I am, but I put down the wrong spelling of my character name. :( Please send the invite to Kyrifleur.

I sent a mail. Thanks to everyone who sent invites while I was gone this weekend.

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a way to salvage augments or should I grind a stockpile of these Night Revel gems?

AFAIK you can't unslot them. I basically just horde them.

StashAugustine posted:

Getting close to epic levels and im really liking this rogue staff build, definitely a lot smoother than the last one I played. Think once I hit epics I'm just gonna go through the forgotten realms sagas plus maybe giant hold and vault of night? Planning out destinies seems like a huge pain in the rear end and I'm glad it's going away

Yea, not a bad place to start. Important to note that as long as you aren't doing reapers, you can group with anyone else in epics without an XP hit for any epic quest. Additionally, reapers allow +6 levels in epics (+4 in heroics).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

man beholders on elite don't gently caress around, even with death ward on an item. doesn't help my will save is garbage

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

man beholders on elite don't gently caress around, even with death ward on an item. doesn't help my will save is garbage

Its more that disintegrate (fort save) doesn't gently caress around really. The only real defenses against disintegration are spell absorption and a lot of hp. Beholders are notable because they also have the frontal antimagic cone that dispels your buffs+prevent spell casting, but other mages like the wildmen sages in the desert can also cast disintegrate as well as dispel magic which is an absurdly deadly combo. If you see something shooting green rays at you, its trying to disintegrate you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

okay so i need a bit of advice on doing weapon math, trying to decide if i want a barovian weapon or one that recently dropped, and why

Barovian's Quarterstaff
1.50[1d6] +5
20 / x2
+5 Enhancement Bonus
Silver, Alchemical
Holy 3
Fiery 3
Undead Bane 3

Bone Crusher
2[1d10] + 6
18-20 / x2
+6 Enhancement Bonus
Seeker +6
Insightful Combat Mastery +4
Rockslide
Shockwave
Dexterity +6

Typing this out I noticed the bone crusher has way better crit which might push it into being better. Looking at it the Barovian seems to average out at 1.5*3.5 +5 = 10.25 and 6*3.5 = 21 bonus damage, while the bone crusher just does 2*5.5 +6 = 17; plus a bit of accuracy, seeker, and trip bonuses (don't need the dex) and idk if the rockslide/shockwave is good. But I don't know exactly how the game calculates additional stuff like extra weapon dice on attacks

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

okay so i need a bit of advice on doing weapon math, trying to decide if i want a barovian weapon or one that recently dropped, and why

Barovian's Quarterstaff
1.50[1d6] +5
20 / x2
+5 Enhancement Bonus
Silver, Alchemical
Holy 3
Fiery 3
Undead Bane 3

Bone Crusher
2[1d10] + 6
18-20 / x2
+6 Enhancement Bonus
Seeker +6
Insightful Combat Mastery +4
Rockslide
Shockwave
Dexterity +6

Typing this out I noticed the bone crusher has way better crit which might push it into being better. Looking at it the Barovian seems to average out at 1.5*3.5 +5 = 10.25 and 6*3.5 = 21 bonus damage, while the bone crusher just does 2*5.5 +6 = 17; plus a bit of accuracy, seeker, and trip bonuses (don't need the dex) and idk if the rockslide/shockwave is good. But I don't know exactly how the game calculates additional stuff like extra weapon dice on attacks

The ravenloft weapons are really good in a vacuum as I will show below, but what my math doesn't show is that the Bone Crusher is going to scale a lot better with things that get scaled with crit like sneak attack dice, deception, deadly, ect which are all easily obtainable stats. Having the improved critical feat is also important and will make Bone Crusher better.

code:
Barovians

Scaling damage
[1.5*3.5+5(base damage)] * [.95 (non-crit chance)] + [1.5*3.5+5(base damage)] * [2(crit multi)] * [.05 (crit chance)] = 10.76

Non-scaling damage
[10.5 (fire)] + [10.5 (holy)] = 21

Total
31.76 (scaling + non-scaling)

Bone Crusher

Scaling
[2*5.5+6(base)] * [.9 (non-crit chance)] + [2*5.5+6(base damage)+6(seeker)] * [2(crit multi)] * [.1 (crit chance)] = 19.9

Non-scaling
[100 (shockwave 20d3+60)] * [0.05(vorpal chance)] + [71.5 (rockslide, based on magma surge stats which have the same wording 2% chance of activating, 3d20+40)] * [0.02 (chance of rockslide)] = 6.43

Total
26.33 (scaling + non)

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Comedy option: make the Bone Crusher sentient

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Max Peck posted:

Comedy option: make the Bone Crusher sentient

Not a terrible option honestly - you could even not level the sentience jewel and slap a single filigree in there and be in good shape

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Okay cool, I've got at least +2 threat and +1 multiplier; plus +11 from dex which idk if it scales with crit? I didn't know sneak attack does and it seems kinda unreliable but that also helps a bunch

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Okay cool, I've got at least +2 threat and +1 multiplier; plus +11 from dex which idk if it scales with crit? I didn't know sneak attack does and it seems kinda unreliable but that also helps a bunch

Yea, most non-elemental stuff scales with crit. The +11 from dex certainly does scale with crit. You want to be able to bluff, blind, or deception monsters if your class doesn't give you a way to reliably apply sneak attack damage.

edit: Oh, I was wrong, sneak attack doesn't scale with crit, just with melee power.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 25, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

Not a terrible option honestly - you could even not level the sentience jewel and slap a single filigree in there and be in good shape

actually looking at this, is just slapping a sentient jewel on a decent epic leveling item and feeding it occasionally useful? idk how common they are or how difficult they are to mess with

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

actually looking at this, is just slapping a sentient jewel on a decent epic leveling item and feeding it occasionally useful? idk how common they are or how difficult they are to mess with

Filigrees are extremely powerful but they are basically an endgame itemization option due to how long it takes to level the gem. If you want an item for level 20ish leveling, i'd suggest throwing a gem in it and feeding it until you have 3 filigree slots and then stop there.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sheesh, I thought artificer was falling off pretty hard. Then I hit level 10, got my heavy repeater from spookyland, and now I'm a gatling turret that shoots fireballs and these undead enemies melt

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I had a lot of fun with repeaters in my arti life. Repeaters in general do fall off a bit in the later teen levels/epic levels, though. They’re adding an epic feat to help a little bit in update 51 but not sure if it will be out by the time you get there.

If you’re struggling when you reach those levels, try dwarven axe with the two handed fighting feats. Arti gets some nice cc to pair with it.

Anyone tried the ED revamps on lamannia? I want to know how cool Magus animations look.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

speaking of, when are the ED revamps supposed to happen? I just hit 20 and looking at planning out the destinies for feats already looks painful- gonna have to bounce into Shiradi Champion as a melee fighter just to get perfect two-handed weapon

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

Anyone tried the ED revamps on lamannia? I want to know how cool Magus animations look.

Most of it doesn't have animations yet but the ones that do are pretty cool

StashAugustine posted:

speaking of, when are the ED revamps supposed to happen? I just hit 20 and looking at planning out the destinies for feats already looks painful- gonna have to bounce into Shiradi Champion as a melee fighter just to get perfect two-handed weapon

Could be as early as the beginning of next month, but definitely before the end of the year.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Been playing the game with one of my kids and it is still a very fun game with multiplayer -- challenge is you generally need to bring your own people from what I tell if you want to level heroics (outside hardcore level <~14). Been a handful of times where the lag has been pretty rough. Such a great IP to not have the support that it deserves. The game is also kind of predatory with its pricing sometimes (die in a quest? pay money to rez!).

Maybe the EG7 folks will help with some this? Certainly bringing in more folks with the quest pack is a good thing.

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

I've been meaning to try this game for ages just because it seems so drat weird compared to pretty much any other MMO out there. Free quest packs and this thread reminded me about it again so may as well give it a go.

Can I grab a guild invite for Arktorius, thanks.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Antaris posted:

I've been meaning to try this game for ages just because it seems so drat weird compared to pretty much any other MMO out there. Free quest packs and this thread reminded me about it again so may as well give it a go.

Can I grab a guild invite for Arktorius, thanks.

Sent you an invite to your mailbox.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

milkman dad posted:

Been playing the game with one of my kids and it is still a very fun game with multiplayer -- challenge is you generally need to bring your own people from what I tell if you want to level heroics (outside hardcore level <~14). Been a handful of times where the lag has been pretty rough. Such a great IP to not have the support that it deserves. The game is also kind of predatory with its pricing sometimes (die in a quest? pay money to rez!).

Maybe the EG7 folks will help with some this? Certainly bringing in more folks with the quest pack is a good thing.

Yea, i'm hopeful that EG7 will give them a little kick. They have spurred some progress from the MWO folks so there is hope. I will say though - the DDO dev team is super active. I think its a matter of communication and priorities - I'd like to think they are working on the lag stuff but the process has been pretty opaque.

:siren: News! U51 is supposedly dropping on next Wed. This will bring the epic levelling/epic destiny revamp! They are also granting a free respec to all characters level 20+ and anyone who has all epic destinies leveled before the update will receive a special cloak.

e: also, night revels ends on Wed with the U51 update

ee: respec is level 20+

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 28, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Honestly what I'd like to see is more sever consolidation- grouping is fun but its a huge pain in the rear end to wait, especially since I work nights and can't play during peak hours

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Honestly what I'd like to see is more sever consolidation- grouping is fun but its a huge pain in the rear end to wait, especially since I work nights and can't play during peak hours

Yea, we kinda get that when everyone is playing on the hardcore server for a couple months but I wish for the same. Apparently, SSG would like to do this too but its really hard because crufty database stuff.

So I think my plan for U51 is to stay at level 30 until the update drops and then TR to an iconic and get back into epics fast to see how it is.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How's Detect Hidden or whatever it's called and Knock on a proper caster class? I got some scrolls for my PLD and they seemed useless. Am I just going to have to accept splashing in to rogue if I want to unlock things?

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Knock is pretty effective on a caster and I'd recommend it, although it can fall off as you get into epics and elite+. There were only a handful of chests or doors that I remember not being able to open, which is pretty similar to a rogue or whatever with minimal open lock skills and good open lock items. Detect secret doors is less effective, but you can still find some doors with it or true seeing. Finding more secrets will give you an exp bonus on completion, so it can be worth it if you can pull it off.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a solution to the reagent problem? A bag I can put them in or something? It's so annoying keeping up with them that I'm thinking of rolling human next life just so I can sneak in the Eschew Components to a build. I wouldn't mind it so much but I never have any Strength so I can't just buy a boatload of materials and keep them in my backpack

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
No bags, think there's a tech limitation in how reagents couldn't be consumed straight from any such bag without rewriting some part of the surrounding code base, which, after an aeon of hard work and elbow grease, would probably awaken a couple of the old gods and bring forth a cosmic apocalypse.

I just buy 1000 at a time for the current and next spell level and keep them all in the top of my bag in order to see them easily. Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with strength just from components though. I do have a +7 tome but that’s a very small bonus at low levels.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a solution to the reagent problem? A bag I can put them in or something? It's so annoying keeping up with them that I'm thinking of rolling human next life just so I can sneak in the Eschew Components to a build. I wouldn't mind it so much but I never have any Strength so I can't just buy a boatload of materials and keep them in my backpack

In U51 you will have easy access to eschew in epics. I drag an extra hotbar out and hotbar my reagents so I know when i'm running low. I can't recommend eschew in heroics. AFAIK they don't actually weigh much even in a stack of 1000.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Ort posted:

I just buy 1000 at a time for the current and next spell level and keep them all in the top of my bag in order to see them easily. Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with strength just from components though. I do have a +7 tome but that’s a very small bonus at low levels.

You can also put them in a hotbar to keep track of them, too!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Oh boy you all sure missed out on a What Goes Up quest. I made some mistakes.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
more like what goes up is my repair bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

more like what goes up is my repair bill

Hey well thanks for sticking with it haha - we sure did a thing