Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Won’t regular autopilot change lanes if you put the turn signal on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PenisMonkey posted:

No, you get a little pop up stating you need to manually change lanes.

I think Enhanced Auto Pilot did that but as far as I know you can't get that anymore.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Decent ACC helps out a ton with traffic fatigue. But even then you have to be alert and aware of the dumbasses that see a car length of space and think I GO FASTER THIS LANE and just try to gun it over without care.

My wife's 2017 minivan has a more natural and cozy ACC than her 2014 i3 did, and I wager it's the increased number of cameras on the car that contributes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No. Its honestly a sad mess of hype being punched by reality.

Advanced Cruise Controls are awesome but they really only reduce the number of things you need to be focusing on so you can pay more attention to the road ahead. Setting a speed and letting the car manage it as well as gap to the next car is just.... relaxing

Yeah I agree. I like adaptive cruise. Lane keep, I guess it's a nice to have, but what else am I going to do with my hands, I might as well use one to keep the car in between the lines. But sometimes there's a cool flock of goats by the side of the road and you look at the goats and the car starts wandering toward the goats, lane keep can bail you out there so you don't terrify your wife in the passenger seat and every time there's goats beside the road get told "uh oh, look out, there's goats beside the road".

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeep posted:

I'm not sure I'd recommend a Leaf to anyone now, it's a really old car in a market where the technology is moving really fast. Even in the refresh a couple of years ago was basically just some bodywork and a bigger battery.

This is my worry, as I have been looking for an EV for commuting like OP. Don’t think I would invest in a Chademo vehicle.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:shrug: I’ve got a big battery Leaf and have used fast chargers 3 times, mostly for the sake of using the EVGo credit you get and less because I actually needed it. Commuting + L2 charging at home = virtually no need for fast charging. I don’t even have very good L2 charging because the electrician said electrician things about it. Mine is like 12 miles/hour I think? Which is enough for me to charge once a week and be good.

I think the bigger reason to avoid a Leaf is the utter lack of battery conditioning

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

Tesla’s autopilot is pretty good on highways (I don’t have FSD so lane changes are annoying to constantly re-engage), but it accelerates and brakes with a force that I haven’t used since I was young and didn’t have any family in the car.

I'm pretty sure your Y doesn't have radar, so perhaps that implementation is a bit different. I think the Tesla TACC is pretty smooth but I've only driven it with radar.

As for changing lanes, I like how the MEBs work. You can just steer a bit, change lanes, whatever, it doesn't disconnect the travel assist. Let go and it keeps on assisting. Might be a bit unnerving if you're used to being able to cancel it like that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

VideoGameVet posted:

Hyundai Ionic?

In terms of legroom, I'll cosign this. I'm 6'5" and fit fairly well into a 2020 Ioniq. Not as roomy as a Sonata (wish they still made PHEV Sonatas) but it's fine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

Maybe I’m a weirdo but I really have no desire for that level of autonomy and really just want them to perfect highway “on-ramp to off-ramp” with hands free autopilot.

Have they (not meaning just Tesla, but carmakers in general) perfected that yet

I've said this in the past but I don't think autonomous driving for modern cities is possible without vehicle to vehicle networking which will require government regulation to establish a standard and a bunch of hardware that isn't in most cars right now. That's without going into the pedestrian challenges in an urban environment.

To answer your question though - I've used Autopilot and navigate on autopilot a fair bit on the highway and it's pretty darned good in most situations. Takes all of the stress out of highway driving, you arrive very relaxed. In a year I might have a handful of driver takeovers, usually related to other drivers doing weird poo poo or the car being a bit too apprehensive. It is still not hands off/eyes off though and frankly never should be when you're traveling at those speeds.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

Not without FSD. There’s not even a popup, it just disengages autosteer (maintains speed though) when you turn the wheel, and putting on the blinker significantly lowers the resistance to turning the wheel. Then you get in the new lane and double-pull to re-engage it. Nissan’s was nice because the blinker disengages steering immediately, and then it re-engages automatically when you get to the center of another lane.

Ola posted:

I'm pretty sure your Y doesn't have radar, so perhaps that implementation is a bit different. I think the Tesla TACC is pretty smooth but I've only driven it with radar.

Correct, I have “Tesla Vision,” which is pretty lovely “creative” to market the removal of a feature. It almost seems like stop-and-go traffic is bad because of a failure in expectations — like as soon as the car in front of me starts moving, autopilot assumes they’re going the speed limit and then loses its mind when they stop accelerating at 5-10mph — but maybe that’s because the radar gave it better velocity data than the cameras do.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sonic Dude posted:

Not without FSD. There’s not even a popup, it just disengages autosteer (maintains speed though) when you turn the wheel, and putting on the blinker significantly lowers the resistance to turning the wheel. Then you get in the new lane and double-pull to re-engage it. Nissan’s was nice because the blinker disengages steering immediately, and then it re-engages automatically when you get to the center of another lane.

Yeah this is my biggest beef with basic Autopilot. It's such an arbitrary restriction and clearly intended to push people to upgrade to the absurdly expensive FSD option. Up here you can't even buy navigate on autopilot by itself outside of very limited promo windows, usually tied to quarter end pushes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

OldSenileGuy posted:

Maybe I’m a weirdo but I really have no desire for that level of autonomy and really just want them to perfect highway “on-ramp to off-ramp” with hands free autopilot.

Have they (not meaning just Tesla, but carmakers in general) perfected that yet

Not sure about anyone else but Ford definitely hasn't.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The days of free CircleK charging is over. I'm not too sad though. Often wait times, chargers that didn't work or were slow as hell. Worked out pretty well with a "Mer" charging account for 450kWh a month for about $45 a month. Decent per kWh prices if I exceed that. Will last me my commute no problem, and a bonus is that I can put the car on charge 5min from work.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PenisMonkey posted:

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Sonic Dude posted:

Correct, I have “Tesla Vision,” which is pretty lovely “creative” to market the removal of a feature. It almost seems like stop-and-go traffic is bad because of a failure in expectations — like as soon as the car in front of me starts moving, autopilot assumes they’re going the speed limit and then loses its mind when they stop accelerating at 5-10mph — but maybe that’s because the radar gave it better velocity data than the cameras do.

lovely about needing FSD for auto lane change but if it makes you feel better mine has radar and will also launch itself as the car in front starts just creeping.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

How badly can a bicycle bully a tesla in fsd mode at slow speed? Asking for a friend.
Probably quite a lot, although I've seen videos where it will path around obstacles, so it might take a fair bit of slow weaving around to really flummox it.

Also, for whatever it's worth the email I got before the software was pushed to my car is pretty explicit that this is not "take a nap in your car" quality.

Tesla posted:

Full Self-Driving is in limited early access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving Beta is enabled, your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations. Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot and must be prepared to take action at any time.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Our Model 3 played the "what key?" game this morning. After the software update last night, my wife had to update her android app. She then drove our daughter to school, only to find that her phone key no longer was active when she tried to leave. Key card was conveniently at home on our mantle...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

the spyder posted:

Our Model 3 played the "what key?" game this morning. After the software update last night, my wife had to update her android app. She then drove our daughter to school, only to find that her phone key no longer was active when she tried to leave. Key card was conveniently at home on our mantle...

Does Tesla have anything for an emergency backup? With Ford if your Phone As A Key stops working you can punch your pin code into the door to open the car and then you have a password set you type into the dash to start the car.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

bird with big dick posted:

Does Tesla have anything for an emergency backup? With Ford if your Phone As A Key stops working you can punch your pin code into the door to open the car and then you have a password set you type into the dash to start the car.

Even if your phone isn’t paired as a key, if you’re logged in to the app you can unlock and start the car remotely. If I remember right, the app asks for your account password and gives you a limited amount of time to start the vehicle.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I keep my black credit card key in my wallet. It hardly takes up any space and on the off chance I forget my phone somewhere/it stops pairing to the car I can still drive.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

How badly can a bicycle bully a tesla in fsd mode at slow speed? Asking for a friend.

I've been saying for years that once cars drive themselves, only the rich will be able to afford manual driving, and they will absolutely use this to be dicks to everyone else, counting on the robots making split-second coffee-spilling avoidance maneuvers.

If there's one thing you can count on, it's (a subset of) rich people using their money to be complete assholes.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

the spyder posted:

That sucks, I'm sorry it happened to you.

This is why I keep the key strapped to my driver license.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I always liked that about the fords having the keypads on there. Seemed like a good idea if you get locked out for whatever reason. I think Subaru has something similar too, so you don’t have to take your keys with you when whitewater kayaking or whatever it is Subaru owners get up to.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aino Minako posted:

Even if your phone isn’t paired as a key, if you’re logged in to the app you can unlock and start the car remotely. If I remember right, the app asks for your account password and gives you a limited amount of time to start the vehicle.

You can also add another account owner who can do this for you as well. I always keep the black card in my wallet and have only ever needed it a few times.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

priznat posted:

I always liked that about the fords having the keypads on there. Seemed like a good idea if you get locked out for whatever reason. I think Subaru has something similar too, so you don’t have to take your keys with you when whitewater kayaking or whatever it is Subaru owners get up to.

Yeah the keypad comes in handy more often than you'd think, lot of times I'd be out in the yard and want to get something out of my truck and I could just use the keypad without having to go fetch the fob. I've also used it when my truck was sitting in the driveway and a friend wanted to drop something off at my house I just gave them the code to the truck and they put it in there rather than leave it on the porch.

And the Mach-E takes it a big step further. I can lose the fob (if I carried one), and my wallet, and my phone, and still be able to not only get inside the car but be able to drive it home. Or give the codes to someone else in an emergency and they could.

So presumably it will all get hacked and there will be a rash of Mach-E thefts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

So presumably it will all get hacked and there will be a rash of Mach-E thefts.

This will just bring back nostalgia for Mustang owners so it could work out well!

A friend of mine had an old 5.0 mustang that got stolen about 4 times before the insurance co finally just wrote it off.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Lol

My current and last Ford both had a feature where if you were behind someone slow and turned your blinker on to pass it accelerates automatically.

No auto lane change yet though.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

I've said this in the past but I don't think autonomous driving for modern cities is possible without vehicle to vehicle networking which will require government regulation to establish a standard and a bunch of hardware that isn't in most cars right now. That's without going into the pedestrian challenges in an urban environment.

The way I explain this to non-technical folks when they ask is as follows:

• The technology for "self driving" does not currently exist (and probably won't for a while).
  • The existing "self driving" systems (e.g. FSD) do not fail-safe.
  • Full Self Driving is a scam.

If they ask questions then I'll elaborate on each point in more detail.

When I make the first point online, someone who has just enough technical knowledge to be dangerous will usually respond by saying "oh, Tesla just needs a bit more training data". In addition to being a textbook example of the nonsensical "sufficiently smart compiler" argument, this argument also fundamentally misunderstands how deep models "learn"; beyond a certain threshold you need exponentially (literally, not figuratively) more training data for incremental improvements in accuracy.

At their core, deep learning models are a bubbling cauldron of linear algebra, calculus, and statistics that are virtually indecipherable to humans. This means they react in unpredictable and counterintuitive ways to "odd" scenarios, where "odd" is defined as "anything the model has not been sufficiently trained on".

As long as cars are driving in urban environments, driving in natural environments, and reacting to vehicles driven by people, there will always be an unfathomably large number of "odd" scenarios.

Advocates will respond by claiming those scenarios are "outliers", seemingly unaware that responding to exceptional situations is the whole drat point of a self-driving car! In other words, we don't care about the number of miles of straight, unobstructed highway that the car can drive down without incident; we care about how the car responds when there is an emergency vehicle on the shoulder, unexpected pedestrians, or a family of geese crossing the road in a weird place.

Another argument I hear is that the system can just disengage when it encounters an "odd" scenario. As a previous comment pointed out, these systems often don't even realize that they are in an "odd" situation. Even when they do, there are decades of studies on human context switching which show that it can take several seconds for a human to become fully aware of the situation, make a decision, and respond appropriately.

The last few paragraphs are why I tell people that the current self-driving systems do do not "fail-safe" (point #2).

If the combined computing power and expertise of Tesla, Google, and several other tech companies are unable to adequately solve a problem with a given piece of technology, then it's fair to say "the technology to solve that problem does not yet exist" (point #1).

The reason I tell people that Full Self Driving is a scam (point #3) is because Tesla's engineers are well aware of all of the problems above, yet Tesla as a company continues to dishonestly market what amounts to a limited driver assist program as if it is either much more powerful, or will be "soon".

For what it's worth, I'm fine with self-driving systems operating at limited speeds in a geofenced area, provided there is sufficient testing, independent model validation, and strong regulatory oversight.

Edit: Fix typos.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

the spyder posted:

I've had this happen a couple of times (Model 3, Android phone). Usually hurling profanity at the car, waking up the phone, or toggling Bluetooth is enough to make things cooperate.

I also keep the card in my wallet like another comment suggested, but I've never had to use it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

What's happening in the video?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The cars either slowly drifting into another lane due to road crowning or she’s fingertip steering it like a planchette on a loving ouija board

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol wrong thread

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 27, 2021

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I've found the driver assist in the Kia Niro very helpful in a mostly unobtrusive way. It mostly just gently nudges you around corners in a way you don't really notice unless you try to steer against it. It does a good job of staying in lane in the dark too which is nice on country roads when you can't see the lines. The ACC is pretty smooth, the only time I've had problems is when the car in front goes around a bend for long enough for it to think the road is clear and floor it up to the speed limit at a time when you should be slowing down for the corner and the solution to that is probably to not use it on winding back roads.

As an added bonus, the lane assist yells at you if you straddle a bike lane, which as a cyclist makes me very happy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The cars either slowly drifting into another lane due to road crowning or she’s fingertip steering it like a planchette on a loving ouija board

So she’s insisting the car will make an automatic lane change when she signals and then Ford stomps in and says this isn’t actually a thing?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Today I became the first person in my state to own a 2022 Polestar 2, about a month early :toot:

Post pics!!!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

So she’s insisting the car will make an automatic lane change when she signals and then Ford stomps in and says this isn’t actually a thing?

Yep

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

QuarkJets posted:

Today I became the first person in my state to own a 2022 Polestar 2, about a month early :toot:

Delivery went smoothly, we scheduled a time for them to drive it out to me and we filled out paperwork for a bit. The car was just like the one that I test drove a few months ago so everything was familiar enough. The key is a little black box with lock/unlock/trunk/panic buttons but you can also pair your phone to the car so that it unlocks automatically when you try the door handle. It also comes with two physical keys that can open the doors from the outside.

When I test drove it I really liked Polestar's instrument panel, which is as good as I remember. This was one of many little things that won me over and got me choosing a Polestar 2 instead of a Tesla Model 3. The instrument cluster is basically a Google Maps display with the darkness set to match the interior, and in the corners are your speed, the speed limit, and your charge level/estimated range. You can configure what's shown here from the infotainment center, and you can toggle the map on/off with a button on the steering wheel. I like this a lot, because you can always have the map up and in your eyeline whenever you want, and clearly a lot of care went into the design because it looks great. The entire car is an Android OS, so the instrument cluster displays whatever you have going on in the Google Maps app (e.g. if you've got a route programmed in, that shows up on the instrument panel map).

The infotainment console is great, the car is an Android device so the infotainment display has a sleek Android design and everything fully synchronizes with Google accounts. I have a Pixel and most often use Chrome so I'm already fully familiarized. This is not the same as Android Auto, which requires a connected phone to use any relevant features; the car itself is an Android device with a 4G SIM card, Bluetooth, and WiFi. I appreciate being able to install apps to my car but the Play Store is pretty bare bones (basically just various map and audio apps; I did install A Better Route Planner but I look forward to some day being able to post to the forums with the Awful app installed in my car)

The safety features seem really nice, the proximity feedback feels really good and the audio beeps are actually sync'd to the surround sound system, so backing up toward an obstruction at your 5 o clock results in beeps that sound like they're coming from 5 o clock. I got the emergency brakes to trigger while backing out of a really steep driveway, which was a surprise but the car was happy to let me continue easing out after that. Some of the safety videos they've put out there are pretty cool, there is a lot of "automated" driver assist stuff out there that I knew nothing about

The one pedal driving feels good, I'm not an expert in this or anything but I've liked one pedal driving in every car that I've tried so far. I have it set to the maximum amount of recharge and I rarely have to touch the brakes

The range seems great. I'm running climate control and . This was one area where I hesitated because I know that the Model 3 has better range, but I'm encouraged by my test drives so far.

The acceleration is excellent, I splurged for the dual-motor version sacrificing some range in the process but I've always preferred more power over less. But it's an EV, so no one should be surprised by the acceleration.

The charging cable is actually a Level 2 charger that can plug directly into a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and you can set the charging amperage to whatever you want from the infotainment console in the car. The cable comes with an adapter that turns it into a Level 1 charger for 3-prong outlets. I had a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage specifically for this car, and I'm planning to install a Chargepoint Flex so that I can throw the charging cable into the frunk in case I ever need it. The frunk also comes with a jack, lug wrench, and tire repair kit in their own special storage slots.

So that's that, going to be commuting to and from work in this thing and plan on trying some of the driving assist features.

do a burn out

the logo projected by the sunroof is hilarious

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Post pics!!!

Friggin seriously UGH

We need to see pictures

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What if Ford just forgot that they programmed this feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Yeep posted:

I've found the driver assist in the Kia Niro very helpful in a mostly unobtrusive way. It mostly just gently nudges you around corners in a way you don't really notice unless you try to steer against it. It does a good job of staying in lane in the dark too which is nice on country roads when you can't see the lines. The ACC is pretty smooth, the only time I've had problems is when the car in front goes around a bend for long enough for it to think the road is clear and floor it up to the speed limit at a time when you should be slowing down for the corner and the solution to that is probably to not use it on winding back roads.

As an added bonus, the lane assist yells at you if you straddle a bike lane, which as a cyclist makes me very happy.

That and the adaptive cruise work quite well. It's a nice benefit.