Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If forum & thread bans were a replacement for long probes & bans, why do other subforums keep using long probes & bans? It sounds more accurate to say, forum & thread bans were a mitigation for the fact that D&D moderators have such poor judgement that their decisions shouldn't be made binding on the rest of the forums. Seems like solving that problem would fix a lot of things up and then you wouldn't need forum & thread bans anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

30.5 Days posted:

If forum & thread bans were a replacement for long probes & bans, why do other subforums keep using long probes & bans? It sounds more accurate to say, forum & thread bans were a mitigation for the fact that D&D moderators have such poor judgement that their decisions shouldn't be made binding on the rest of the forums. Seems like solving that problem would fix a lot of things up and then you wouldn't need forum & thread bans anymore.

Other forums do use thread bans and forums bans. Some posters are terrible in one forum while being well behaved in another so getting rid of them from the forum they wont behave in is a a decent idea. Some have been forum banned multiple times from differing forums which usually leads to long probes or straight perma'ed

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
How many posters are actually forum-banned from DnD? I don't keep track but if I had to guess, maybe a dozen or a little more than that?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Delete the forum. I genuinely believe the mods are doing their best, but a big loud batch of posters went rotten right under their noses and you know what they say about bad apples.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Permaban anyone who has ever been a D&D mod or IK.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Forumbans were something the admins were actively pushing as a replacement for long probes and bans. The idea was that it was better to deprive a single thread or forum of someone's posting indefinitely than to deprive the entire site of their posting for a couple weeks.

I think that's a failed project. In part because it puts the mods in the position of having to keep a poorly documented list of unpeople, and in part because it requires punishing otherwise-harmless posting. Both of those things feel like personal grudges, even if they aren't meant to be. It also means it's hard to figure out why someone got probed; Bucky Fullminster copped a punishment for violating his forumban for spamming his blog and it started a whole page derail, while just saying they were probing him for spamming his stupid-rear end blog again wouldn't have caused nearly as much fuss.

I can't stand ze pollack for example, and I know they're forumbanned atm. But if they post something harmless/funny/interesting, where's the harm in leaving it alone?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I think thread banning and forum banning are great tools. They removed some of the most toxic posters and have made DnD more readable.

I actually think things in the forum have gotten better since the last feedback thread.

My suggestion for this forum (and America) is don't keep people who don't like each other together.

Here's what I posted previously

Ither posted:

I think this is the solution.

USnews is very broad and forces people who don't like each other to interact.

Create a thread for a each "team", and I think that will settle things.

Yes, those thread will be echo chambers. But why are echo chambers bad?

Ither posted:

In addition to each team having a thread, create a rules light battle thread, where the posters who love to fight can get there rocks off.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

thatfatkid posted:

Actually allow debate and discussion. Disagreeing with sabre rattling propaganda isn't genocide denial, especially when the associated press and US don't even describe what's happening in xinjiang as genocide anymore. (bit hard to with the uyghur population actually growing and their life expectancy and quality of life improving)

Demod Handsome Ralph, CommieGIR and GreyjoyBastard as they're thinskinned liberals that are afraid of different opinions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How is probating for 'sick beliefs' debating or discussing?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

thatfatkid posted:

Actually allow debate and discussion. Disagreeing with sabre rattling propaganda isn't genocide denial, especially when the associated press and US don't even describe what's happening in xinjiang as genocide anymore. (bit hard to with the uyghur population actually growing and their life expectancy and quality of life improving)

Demod Handsome Ralph, CommieGIR and GreyjoyBastard as they're thinskinned liberals that are afraid of different opinions.

The fact this was probated for "doubl[ing] down on your sick beliefs" is absolutely the reason you shouldn't be a mod CommieGIR. Tons of people, even in the QCS thread, have given perfectly reasonable positions that you for some reason don't want to accept as within your overton window. Rather than engaging with posters that don't follow your mainstream (even if their posts seem targeted at annoying you!) you immediately rush to the mod buttons. This is exactly the behavior that makes me avoid D&D most of the time now, since who the gently caress knows what opinion you'll decide is sick and ding people for.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

D&D mods just keep giving us gift-wrapped cases of them being incompetent partisan buffoons, just what will it take for this to get acted on?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Love that the feedback thread gets the attention of people that never post in D&D coming in to say how terrible D&D is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

The fact this was probated for "doubl[ing] down on your sick beliefs" is absolutely the reason you shouldn't be a mod CommieGIR. Tons of people, even in the QCS thread, have given perfectly reasonable positions that you for some reason don't want to accept as within your overton window. Rather than engaging with posters that don't follow your mainstream (even if their posts seem targeted at annoying you!) you immediately rush to the mod buttons. This is exactly the behavior that makes me avoid D&D most of the time now, since who the gently caress knows what opinion you'll decide is sick and ding people for.

Ah yes, the "Mass Incarceration and forced integration is not Genocide" excuse. If you really want to defend that, go for it, but honestly I don't see a D&D or even a Political Forum where defending that is going to be acceptable or encouraged.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

CommieGIR posted:

Ah yes, the "Mass Incarceration and forced integration is not Genocide" excuse. If you really want to defend that, go for it, but honestly I don't see a D&D or even a Political Forum where defending that is going to be acceptable or encouraged.

Honestly I'm not going to go in to it here because you'll end up finding some reason to probate me, but the fact that the AP and whitehouse have both stopped calling it a genocide probably means the issue isn't as cut and dry as you want it to be.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Love that the feedback thread gets the attention of people that never post in D&D coming in to say how terrible D&D is.

Have you considered part of the reason for this is that a lot of people want to post in the serious political forum, but either can't or don't feel comfortable doing so?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

Honestly I'm not going to go in to it here because you'll end up finding some reason to probate me, but the fact that the AP and whitehouse have both stopped calling it a genocide probably means the issue isn't as cut and dry as you want it to be.

Have you considered part of the reason for this is that a lot of people want to post in the serious political forum, but either can't or don't feel comfortable doing so?

The Whitehouse is also not calling the mass incarceration at the border genocide, but effectively that is what is happening. Are you guys really going to define everything by whether or not the White House calls it that, or based on what it actually appears to be?

And as for the AP:
https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-news-international-news-weekend-reads-china-health-269b3de1af34e17c1941a514f78d764c
:thunk: Hmmmmm, sure let's not use the word genocide, but this is literally a crime against humanity that aligns WITH genocide.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 26, 2021

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Well, we want to make D&D more welcoming to people who don't post here.

Except landlords.
Or anti-Maduro Venezuelans.
Or police reformist instead of police abolitionists.
Or Economists.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I think your making an excuse. Post all you want. Just don't be an rear end in a top hat or deny genocides. Like what kind of thin skin excuse do you have to have to be afraid of posting unless you're just a contentious rear end in a top hat with terrible opinions.

I've been probed and banned for terrible reasons in the past. I think I got swept up in one of the terrible mod purges at one point.

I'm still here posting. What's your excuse.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Nobody is saying that mass detentions aren't happening. They're saying the coverage is slanted to exacerbate the domestic issues of their new cold war opponents. There's a very long history of deceptive western media coverage of communist-party controlled countries like Cuba and Vietnam and the USSR.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just chiming in to say that for all the D&D mod crew likes calling other people genocide deniers, it's wild that Handsome Ralph is still a mod after that whole kick they went on of attempting to ban the term "concentration camps" from discussion of border detention facilities in the US.

My only advice is to clean house with the current mod crew and to also end the nonsense of shutting down any discussion of US News in the US News thread by telling people to take it to a containment thread whenever it's a topic that makes the mods uncomfortable.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

The Whitehouse is also not calling the mass incarceration at the border genocide, but effectively that is what is happening. Are you guys really going to define everything by whether or not the White House calls it that, or based on what it actually appears to be?

And as for the AP:
https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-news-international-news-weekend-reads-china-health-269b3de1af34e17c1941a514f78d764c
:thunk: Hmmmmm, sure let's not use the word genocide, but this is literally a crime against humanity that aligns WITH genocide.
Yeah that's fair, is Handsome Ralph gonna be banned for his sick beliefs?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Nobody is saying that mass detentions aren't happening. They're saying the coverage is slanted to exacerbate the domestic issues of their new cold war opponents. There's a very long history of deceptive western media coverage of communist-party controlled countries like Cuba and Vietnam and the USSR.

"The Mass Detentions are happening, but its a media slant"

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/rest-of-world/2019/04/05/are-historic-mosques-in-xinjiang-being-destroyed/
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/24/1047054983/china-muslims-sinicization

So, here's the thing: Either you are arguing that open source intelligence is wrong, and we are not witnessing a cultural genocide through mass incarceration, re-education under a prison environment while the PRC wipes out religious sites.
So, in other words: You are moving the goal posts. If the US was doing this, would you be outraged? I'd be willing to bet yes.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 26, 2021

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think your making an excuse. Post all you want. Just don't be an rear end in a top hat or deny genocides. Like what kind of thin skin excuse do you have to have to be afraid of posting unless you're just a contentious rear end in a top hat with terrible opinions.

I've been probed and banned for terrible reasons in the past. I think I got swept up in one of the terrible mod purges at one point.

I'm still here posting. What's your excuse.

Nah it's really not worth it considering I like posting in other forums too. Eating a probe here because I get mass reported for saying, for example, that Fancy Pelosi was an obvious troll and gimmick, makes me unable to talk about, idk, cool magic cards I have. So honestly? I'd rather post about the cool magic cards than try to engage with people who don't want to engage, they want to be right all the time and be told they're very smart for being just so correct on everything (Especially when those people are mods).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Nah it's really not worth it considering I like posting in other forums too. Eating a probe here because I get mass reported for saying, for example, that Fancy Pelosi was an obvious troll and gimmick, makes me unable to talk about, idk, cool magic cards I have. So honestly? I'd rather post about the cool magic cards than try to engage with people who don't want to engage, they want to be right all the time and be told they're very smart for being just so correct on everything (Especially when those people are mods).

I'm not going to disagree with any of that, it seems accurate. My outlook on it is that those types of people have always been a part of D&D. At one point they were a plurality at best, but still not the majority of posters. It has probably reached a tipping point where the negativity overwhelms the good parts, and hence is dying. Mod choices aren't going to fix that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My only advice is to clean house with the current mod crew and to also end the nonsense of shutting down any discussion of US News in the US News thread by telling people to take it to a containment thread whenever it's a topic that makes the mods uncomfortable.

This is a loving hot take: USNews is a single threaded discussion that generally strays off topic. Some topics are strong enough to be moved to their own threads, and many of those threads are very successful. The idea that it makes "Mods uncomfortable" a loving stupid take.

By this logic, every subforum should be one single discussion with hundreds of sub-discussions, which doesn't work. Reddit can do this because Reddit has a collapsible tree style forum. We do not. Unless your suggestion is that every topic should be allowed to just go off topic non-stop is laughable.

Skyl3lazer posted:

You got probed for it once. And it was a sixer. That's all it took for you to snap? How long have you been on somethingawful?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 26, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

"The Mass Detentions are happening, but its a media slant"

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/rest-of-world/2019/04/05/are-historic-mosques-in-xinjiang-being-destroyed/

So, here's the thing: Either you are arguing that open source intelligence is wrong, and we are not witnessing a cultural genocide through mass incarceration, re-education under a prison environment while the PRC wipes out religio6us sites.
So, in other words: You are moving the goal posts.
You're the one setting new goal posts here, and now you've just made another one with the cultural thing. My position has never shifted.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You're the one setting new goal posts here, and now you've just made another one with the cultural thing. My position has never shifted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_genocide

quote:

Cultural genocide or cultural cleansing is a concept which was proposed by lawyer Raphael Lemkin in 1944 as a component of genocide.[1] Though the precise definition of cultural genocide remains contested, the Armenian Genocide Museum defines it as "acts and measures undertaken to destroy nations' or ethnic groups' culture through spiritual, national, and cultural destruction

And what is it the Mass Incarcerations of a specific subsect is being used for in China?

quote:

The Uyghur genocide in China. Some one million members of China's Muslim Uyghur minority have been detained in mass detention camps, termed "reeducation camps," which are aimed at changing the political thinking of detainees, their identities, and their religious beliefs.[41] Satellite evidence suggests that China has also razed more than two dozen Uyghur Muslim religious sites to the ground.[

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm not going to disagree with any of that, it seems accurate. My outlook on it is that those types of people have always been a part of D&D. At one point they were a plurality at best, but still not the majority of posters. It has probably reached a tipping point where the negativity overwhelms the good parts, and hence is dying. Mod choices aren't going to fix that.

I tend to think that the moderation team has great leverage to shape the tone and conversation of a space, either through direct action or neglect. D&D is, to my mind, a place where it has been shaped towards what it is today by the moderators that came before, and the current mod team led it to the inevitable conclusion of a mod-action-as-discussion-ender mentality. In some ways it's not even the "fault" of the current mod team, they were selected because they aligned with the ideals of the people that came before. The only real solution is to admit the current environment isn't what's best for the people that make up the audience (note I did not say the community) and to clean house. Demod all of the current mods here, find new people interested in doing it (so long as they are unrelated to the current mod team), implement a saner set of rules and expectations, and accept that you're going to have a transitional period where you have some angry as hell regulars.

The big secret though is that even if you lose regulars, it turns out that they were keeping out more people than they represented. The same thing happens in any environment that has a wider scope than its current community - from the grognards that keep women out of hobbies like MtG or wargaming, to lovely barflies that keep patrons away, to pony-obsessed weirdos that keep kids away.

You or others may or may not like CSPAM posters, but the reason CSPAM so quickly outgrew D&D is because there was a lot of interest in politics, but not a lot of interest in D&D (despite it being "the politics forum").

CommieGIR posted:

You got probed for it once. And it was a sixer. That's all it took for you to snap? How long have you been on somethingawful?

It's called "an example." And, this may be shocking, but seeing people I agree with also eat nonsense probations doesn't encourage me to share my opinions. This isn't just talking about china or whatever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

This is a loving hot take: USNews is a single threaded discussion that generally strays off topic. Some topics are strong enough to be moved to their own threads, and many of those threads are very successful. The idea that it makes "Mods uncomfortable" a loving stupid take.

Thank you for responding. If you have a response to the first half of my post, I would be curious to hear that too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Thank you for responding. If you have a response to the first half of my post, I would be curious to hear that too.

Since your entire post was framed around "They are suppressing opinions by spinning threads of USNews" what exactly would I need to say about the first half? I've been clear: If I get demoded, great. If we get better mods, awesome. If we change the rules, fantastic.

My entire psyche is not tied to being a mod on Somethingawful.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It owns that the mods here are so lovely they can't even keep their highly moderated feedback thread from devolving into "what even is genocide, anyway" chat lmfao

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_genocide

And what is it the Mass Incarcerations of a specific subsect is being used for in China?

What the gently caress are you talking about? How is this relevant to anything I've said at all?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Since your entire post was framed around "They are suppressing opinions by spinning threads of USNews" what exactly would I need to say about the first half? I've been clear: If I get demoded, great. If we get better mods, awesome. If we change the rules, fantastic.

We should get mods who think rape apology deserves more than a sixer, and demod anyone who thinks a sixer is sufficient for such a post.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mischievous Mink posted:

We should get mods who think rape apology deserves more than a sixer, and demod anyone who thinks a sixer is sufficient for such a post.

Oh no I made a mistake once, my entire world comes unraveled. They should've been probed for longer, but unless you are suggesting we dig through the history and start assigning heavier probations to past probes, good luck with that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CommieGIR posted:

I wonder what the White House currently thinks about Tara Reade, since that's the important thing now.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Oh no I made a mistake once, my entire world comes unraveled. They should've been probed for longer, but unless you are suggesting we dig through the history and start assigning heavier probations to past probes, good luck with that.

It's your consistent policy, not a one time thing lol. On this very page someone posted who you gave a sixer an exact month ago for it, and they're still here. You're so goddamn fragile.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mischievous Mink posted:

It's your consistent policy, not a one time thing lol. On this very page someone posted who you gave a sixer an exact month ago for it, and they're still here. You're so goddamn fragile.

So, you are saying you are pro-forumban without ramping. Got it. Thanks for the feedback.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Probe and ban people that can't imagine that china commits genocide and has been, big loving red line do not cross, not hard and the fact that we have people trying to argue it isn't is horseshit because they don't want to say their favorite country is in fact awful and racist as hell. Probe and ban actual rape apologists, big red line who gives a gently caress. Sebmojo already brought up the mistake 6er and addressed what happened (just go back and probe it and ban them for being a fuckhead)

thatfatkid is dedicated to justify that china is not infact doing it but doesnt provide anything but feelings and denial, we ran off R. Guyovich for the same poo poo. Side note Bathtubcheese being pro bomb a loving country because they are traitors to china is just as loving ghoulish.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Thank you again for responding. It is clear that the D&D moderation team is taking this feedback thread very seriously.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

camoseven posted:

It owns that the mods here are so lovely they can't even keep their highly moderated feedback thread from devolving into "what even is genocide, anyway" chat lmfao

How exactly do you propose that they do that, probe/ban the people disagreeing with them about the definition of genocide instead of having a discussion?

I mean, I wouldn't necessarily argue but I bet that would derail the thread a lot harder. I imagine you'd instead be here posting about how the mods can't even take civil disagreement with their opinions, not smiling and nodding.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

So, you are saying you are pro-forumban without ramping. Got it. Thanks for the feedback.

Ban+30 every post that has rape apology, quit putting words in my mouth you dumb gently caress. Forumbans are stupid. You aren't listening and you never have. More reason you shouldn't have buttons lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Probe and ban people that can't imagine that china commits genocide and has been, big loving red line do not cross, not hard and the fact that we have people trying to argue it isn't is horseshit because they don't want to say their favorite country is in fact awful and racist as hell. Probe and ban actual rape apologists, big red line who gives a gently caress. Sebmojo already brought up the mistake 6er and addressed what happened (just go back and probe it and ban them for being a fuckhead)

thatfatkid is dedicated to justify that china is not infact doing it but doesnt provide anything but feelings and denial, we ran off R. Guyovich for the same poo poo. Side note Bathtubcheese being pro bomb a loving country because they are traitors to china is just as loving ghoulish.

Is saying you believe the event happened but that it doesn't meet the definition of what people think of as genocide now denying the event?