Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Songbearer posted:

I subscribe to the Second Baldwin Theory

Oh, definitely Adam Baldwin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

His Divine Shadow posted:

The woman who died had a 9 year old son :(

In 15 years they'll film a sequel where he gets his revenge

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

if alec baldwin orphaned me I would kick his rear end

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Warbadger posted:

That's not how guns work. First off, misfiring generally means a gun fails to fire - which is the most common failure state with guns. Mechanical failure actually firing a bullet, however, is pretty drat rare because it requires striking the back end of a cartridge really hard right on the bit that sets it off - and the only thing in a position to do that is the firing mechanism which is imparted with force (initially, at least) by pulling the trigger of the gun. That sort of failure requires something like a free floating firing pin combined with a sharp impact to slam it home, a double action mechanism capable of storing energy (think cocking a trigger) that is so poorly designed that it releases its stored energy when shaken/bumped/whatever (Taurus!), or an automatic mechanism where it starts firing normally but fails to STOP firing until it runs out of ammo (the firing of the gun is providing the force needed to work the mechanism and fire the next round). In 99.99% of cases where "the gun just went off" somebody accidentally pulled or snagged the trigger, then regretted it.

With a single action revolver like they're describing, though, you have a pretty simple trigger mechanism that pulls a hammer back then releases it to strike the back of a cartridge really hard. You can't cock the hammer or otherwise store energy in the firing mechanism - every shot requires pulling the trigger or the hammer. The hammer itself is also the same part striking the cartridge so no need to worry about a firing pin bumping around in there. Firing the gun does not work this firing mechanism in any way, so it can't go full auto. Thus no hammer pulling back = no bang.

You've got double and single action mixed up. This was most likely a single action revolver, and would have required you to cock the hammer, before pulling the trigger, to get a shot off.

Other than that, yeah. A revolver isn't going to go off by itself, you (at the very least) would have to cock the hammer. After that, just snagging the trigger could be enough to cause it to go off. That isn't a "misfire", though, that's a negligent discharge and it happened because you were being an idiot.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

GUNS GUNS GUNS. SHIDDING AND FARDING.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

more like Alec BaldLOSE

his director of photography

because he killed her

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I also continue to maintain labor unions are cool and good and if your team walks off for gun safety concerns and you keep filming, resulting in a fatal accident: willful negligence occured.

Something something joke alex bladwin turned into the tramsformers gun robot fart noise

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Scherloch posted:

You've got double and single action mixed up. This was most likely a single action revolver, and would have required you to cock the hammer, before pulling the trigger, to get a shot off.

Other than that, yeah. A revolver isn't going to go off by itself, you (at the very least) would have to cock the hammer. After that, just snagging the trigger could be enough to cause it to go off. That isn't a "misfire", though, that's a negligent discharge and it happened because you were being an idiot.

Yep, you're correct. Either way, same result.

It does seem like this particular AD has a history when it comes to safety procedures in general and guns specifically. Things like "throwing a fit because an actress requests a gun be cleared before pointing it at her own head and pulling the trigger".

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/24/entertainment/rust-shooting-assistant-director-halls-complaints/index.html

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

I also continue to maintain labor unions are cool and good and if your team walks off for gun safety concerns and you keep filming, resulting in a fatal accident: willful negligence occured.

This is a really bold and stunning stance you've chosen and we're all standing here with tears in our eyes because of how proud of you we are for this forward thinking statement. May God cradle you in his arms.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

really if you think about it, she should have walked off set in solidarity with the union, she was asking for it in the end

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I mean, previously, we'd been thinking "Let's work in darkness and stamp each other with hot irons while wailing in pain" but no, internet poster 'Poohs Packin' actually thought 'I like better things than that', and frankly, that's good. And, wow. WOW. That helped.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Big Beef City posted:

This is a really bold and stunning stance you've chosen and we're all standing here with tears in our eyes because of how proud of you we are for this forward thinking statement. May God cradle you in his arms.

You're literally the worst poster on SA.

You've already insulted my avatar before, so don't even bother with that low hanging fruit.

You're needlessly aggro in every thread you post in.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DP probably should have walked off yeah, clearly that was a mistake. She also had a pretty huge motivation to stay on and end up with a movie under her name so she could have a career and not piss off the producers and Baldwin. I super empathize with that and find it hard to hold against her at all.

Edit: For real Big Beef, what purpose do any of these posts serve other than to antagonize people? We get it, you're a miserable rear end in a top hat. Move on.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

she was a scab though, and according to you its completely an inexcusable action

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Edmund Sparkler posted:

You've already insulted my avatar before,

I mean given the topic

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

she was a scab though, and according to you its completely an inexcusable action

i don't think i said that no

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

the dreaded anti-labor gotcha

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

i don't think i said that no

quote:

how the gently caress is it bloodthirsty to be upset at [...] killing someone while scabbing?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Edmund Sparkler posted:

You're literally the worst poster on SA.

You've already insulted my avatar before, so don't even bother with that low hanging fruit.

You're needlessly aggro in every thread you post in.

Lol your av and text are absolutely horrendous though im not sure if drawing attention to your "pedo bear" is really the way to deflect someone like BBC.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Really, she should have checked the gun to make sure it was safe if she was gonna stand in front of it.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Poohs Packin posted:

Lol your av and text are absolutely horrendous though im not sure if drawing attention to your "pedo bear" is really the way to deflect someone like BBC.

I mean, at least I'm still not as bad of a poster as Big Beef City. :shrug:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I mean, at least I'm still not as bad of a poster as Big Beef City. :shrug:

Dr. enters the room, "I'm afraid I have terrible news for you, dipshit nut sucker."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The slapfight thread is ... nowhere, actually.

Post about Baldwin related news not each other

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Scabbing is super lovely and its possible they wouldve had to stop production at least for a time if more people walked *shrug*.

Meaningful labor unions will remain powerless in places like Hollywood built on personal advancement and exploitation. The people that stick around in that industry are clinging on for dear life at best and being fed to Harvey Weinstein at worst. Or they are people like Alex Baldwin who could give a gently caress about the people making his movies.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Now that that's over, I WOULD like to hear more details regarding this and how the Unions, if any, can act on it, after the fact ie; had they been there what might have happened vs what did happened, etc.

Obviously many movies are filmed with firearms and done so safely all the time. I'm wondering if any law findings coming from this impact how filmings may impact future filmings

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've wondered abstractly just how many rounds have been fired on the sets of movies over the last, say, decade

I have to assume it's MILLIONS. So many shows and movies with lots of guns and those are just the takes we see! Safety is obviously possible.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i wish alec baldwin would come in to this thread and shoot it to death

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Now that that's over, I WOULD like to hear more details regarding this and how the Unions, if any, can act on it, after the fact ie; had they been there what might have happened vs what did happened, etc.

Obviously many movies are filmed with firearms and done so safely all the time. I'm wondering if any law findings coming from this impact how filmings may impact future filmings

The IATSE was scheduled to strike. Apparently 98% of rank and file supported it, around 60,000 workers in the film industy.

An agreement was reached but still need to be ratified so its entirely possible they could strike, although they never have in 120 or so years.

Depending on the reporting the rank and file was sold out by union leadership in bed with producers or the leadership refused to budge straight up to the deadline. Obviously union leadership messaging is whats to be expected.

The IATSE still has to ratify the agreement, and considering the 98% of rank and filers in favor of a strike and a union member being shot and killed on set, there is serious worry they will vote no and go back to bargaining.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i simply cannot believe that "lets go baldwin" didnt get emptyquoted

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The semantic game being played here is, as mentioned, infuriating. They are saying the gun "accidentally" discharged but they mean it, at best, in the way that "I accidentally fired this gun" but hope to imply "this gun fired itself because it's poo poo and thus not my fault." It's not the biggest crime here but it will keep coming up and the points made about how this couldn't actually have been anything other than negligence on the operator's* part are worth re-iterating every single time imo.

*to be clear, operator in this scenario = someone claiming these things just fired willy-nilly, not when someone is handed a gun that is pronounced "cold" and is practicing marks or whatever.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 26, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

personally I would clear any firearm that is in my hands at all, but i don't think it's reasonable to expect the same from actors who are at best given rudimentary training. especially since the person who handed them the gun loudly proclaimed that it was clear.

also, it sounds like it was a gate-loading revolver which is trickier to properly clear since you have to check each cylinder in sequence.

edit: ^^^ agreed

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yea by the time it gets in the actor's hands the only way they should be able to hurt someone with it is if they whack someone on the head with it. should be able to give a gun on set to a dang actor baby with no worries, it's not their job to be safe with it or have the knowledge of how to make it safe

guess just talking about the 'cold gun' thing here, not blanks

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"Dad, it happened again. Can u or mom pick me up? I'm drunk. Bring my Switch."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Her dad is some famous armorer so nepotism is part of it as well. Nice.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

kntfkr posted:

"Dad, it happened again. Can u or mom pick me up? I'm drunk. Bring my Switch."

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
niiiiiiiice

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also read in that article (not sure if it was mentioned itt yet) that the crew was using the pistol for recreational target shooting and they kept the live ammo and blanks together?!?! when the armourer said she doesn't like loading blanks because she doesn't know how to do it???? lmfao

not that it matters because it was the AD that told baldwin it was a cold gun, and that's why he was comfortable pulling the trigger

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I think this was her second job and she hosed up her first job as well by handing an unchecked gun to an 11 year old.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

i always wear a nice shirt in case Alec Baldwin kills somebody near me and I get in the news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

kntfkr posted:

I think this was her second job and she hosed up her first job as well by handing an unchecked gun to an 11 year old.

someone should have told her that you do not in fact have to hand it to them