Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

ThomasPaine posted:

Worth pointing out here that yes, this:

is the letter of the law if you want to be entirely above board.

However, if you don't pay the law is almost completely unenforceable in practice if you make things even remotely difficult for them.

Afaict the whole detector van thing is garbage smoke and mirrors. I read something about them being able to pick up emissions from old CRT TVs, which I'm still sceptical about but in any case who cares, no-one uses CRTs in 2021.

So really what I think we're dealing with is a big database with a list of unlicensed properties, and almost certainly a quite overstretched department working enforcement. They periodically send scary looking letters to these addresses - sometimes even threatening a physical visit - but in all my life they've never followed through on that. I've heard maybe single digit stories of friends of friends who've had a visit, but it looks like 99.9% of the time the letters are the worst thing that happens and they can safely be ignored, or you can even send a declaration back that the property doesn't need a license. I've done this a few times and the letters stopped, but again nobody ever turned up to verify anything.

If this fails, and someone does actually turn up at your door, you have zero legal obligation to let them inside. I have heard horror stories about them claiming otherwise, especially where the person answering the door seems unsure and not confident or otherwise vulnerable, but you are well within your rights to laugh in their face and tell them to come back with a court order. Really, it's not worth it for them to pursue it that far, and if they did they'd still have to prove you were watching TV illegally. I'm not sure having a laptop that could theoretically receive iPlayer would stand up particularly well in court for them, but who knows. The odds of it getting this far are so tiny they're barely worth thinking about.

Everything about TV licensing feels like it's been constructed to appear as scary as possible, what with all the 'WE'RE WATCHING YOU' Big Brother aesthetic, but honestly it just screams overcompensation to me. For all they want you to believe they're this big, all-seeing organisation, they're actually just a few old guys in a government office with probably a few hundred (if that) enforcement officers across the country, none of whom have any more legal power than traffic wardens. The whole thing's an illusion, imho.

e: i'm definitely getting a visit next week aren't I, lmao

There's still something like 200,000 people a year getting prosecuted for not paying. Be careful with this advice if you're not legitimately BBC free (which you should be tbh, it's utter trash).

Turns out outsourcing to Capgemini 'works' when they target women and the vulnerable, who knew.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8101/CBP-8101.pdf
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/24/in-court-non-payment-tv-licence-television-desperate-cases
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tv-licence-fee-women-convictions-b1763192.html

E: 108 degrees Fahrenheit is the internal temperature at which the human body's vital organs begin to fail from overheating. It's also the emergency phone number in India.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Afaict the whole detector van thing is garbage smoke and mirrors. I read something about them being able to pick up emissions from old CRT TVs, which I'm still sceptical about but in any case who cares, no-one uses CRTs in 2021.

Seriously, I've got to put something on the Effortposts Graveyard about this for easy reference, because it really does come up once a quarter.

TLDR - TV Detector vans were real, they worked, but were only occasionally used for direct enforcement and basically not at all after about the mid 80s because it was much cheaper and more efficient to just spam out letters to everyone without a TV license.

They will still work with modern digital tuners but a) the emissions from a modern tuner are *incredibly* weak so they'd have to be pretty much near enough that they could just, you know, look at the telly and b) the legality of using them is slightly muddy thanks to subsequent case law.

If someone knows a good, properly-sourced resource for what the legal ins and outs of dealing with the license people are, I'd be happy to put that up too.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

fuctifino posted:

I've mailed back a box containing a brick to that freepost address before, though this was around 10 years ago. The post office accepted it, so I guess it must have gone through, and TV licensing had to pay for it.

:discourse:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TLDR - TV Detector vans were real, they worked, but were only occasionally used for direct enforcement and basically not at all after about the mid 80s because it was much cheaper and more efficient to just spam out letters to everyone without a TV license.

That's interesting to me - how do you detect someone receiving a signal? Besides the obvious of looking for aerials and through windows with your eyeballs. Some kind of sensitively measuring the signal around an area and seeing if it has minutely dropped in amplitude or something?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

RockyB posted:

There's still something like 200,000 people a year getting prosecuted for not paying. Be careful with this advice if you're not legitimately BBC free (which you should be tbh, it's utter trash).

Turns out outsourcing to Capgemini 'works' when they target women and the vulnerable, who knew.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8101/CBP-8101.pdf
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/24/in-court-non-payment-tv-licence-television-desperate-cases
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tv-licence-fee-women-convictions-b1763192.html

E: 108 degrees Fahrenheit is the internal temperature at which the human body's vital organs begin to fail from overheating. It's also the emergency phone number in India.

I have a laptop and a ps4 which are both theoretically capable of watching iplayer but basically don't. My flat doesn't even have an aerial lol. I feel like almost everyone has a device that's capable of watching iplayer - hell, even a cheap smartphone can - but that seems pretty fragile grounds for fining someone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

That's interesting to me - how do you detect someone receiving a signal? Besides the obvious of looking for aerials and through windows with your eyeballs. Some kind of sensitively measuring the signal around an area and seeing if it has minutely dropped in amplitude or something?
Almost all TV receivers and a lot of radios use a superheterodyne layout, where the incoming signal is converted to an intermediate frequency by mixing it with a local oscillator. You just monitor for the telltale frequency of that.

Easy when it's a valve tank circuit (50s/60s), harder when it's an on-chip VCO (80s/90s) and near impossible when it's anything other than the most dogshit of digital receivers without parking your detector van somewhere inside the metal enclosure:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So my dull licensing van story is this:

When I moved in here, in order not to freak my autistic son out, we had the two houses for 3 months. As everything in old house was built in it was cheaper to buy all new flooring/white goods/sofas/beds/wardrobes have them delivered to new house and hire a van for personal items, than get a big removal company. All the old stuff got picked up by the council or put in a skip.

The plan was that my lad would go to school from one house and then get dropped off at a perfectly set up new house without any stress whatsoever (worked).

It was this day as the televisions were on the van that the licence narks turned up at my house. “Why sure you can check, no problem, we don’t own any televisions or consoles as you can see ha ha ha”.

I’ve had not a letter or a demand since.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Also the license fee letter's list of things which qualify as 'Live TV' is nebulous enough to cover YouTube Live and Twitch if they were really pedantic about it. I think the presumption is that anything that is broadcast on television in the UK counts but I'm not sure it's really spelled out anywhere.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ThomasPaine posted:

I have a laptop and a ps4 which are both theoretically capable of watching iplayer but basically don't. My flat doesn't even have an aerial lol. I feel like almost everyone has a device that's capable of watching iplayer - hell, even a cheap smartphone can - but that seems pretty fragile grounds for fining someone.

Go through every smart television and device in your house and remove iPlayer, it’s there by default and that’s what they try and nail people on.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

keep punching joe posted:

Maybe related to this, the aged old problem in left spaces of not being able to deal with misogyny and sexual assault.

Uh, not to diminish anything in your post but all the links are from 2017 and searching that boycott hashtag on twitter shows like 10 accounts repeating the tag every few months in a very Carthago Delenda Est way. I can't imagine that their youtube removal has anything to do with that.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

UnquietDream posted:

Uh, not to diminish anything in your post but all the links are from 2017 and searching that boycott hashtag on twitter shows like 10 accounts repeating the tag every few months in a very Carthago Delenda Est way. I can't imagine that their youtube removal has anything to do with that.

Not to do with the YouTube deletion, was in response to Lady Gaza's question on why online lefties seemed ambivalent towards Novara Media.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

learnincurve posted:

Go through every smart television and device in your house and remove iPlayer, it’s there by default and that’s what they try and nail people on.

I think your license should cover equipment at the address by you or your guests. It doesn't cover devices or persons - you could conceivably go to your friend's house and watch media on own your phone at their address if they have a license.

e: this is slightly complicated because your license also covers you to use iPlayer when you're travelling - as long as you don't connect to the mains (lol).

Ravel fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 26, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As long as you don't do it while sat on their toilet, because rooms with a lock on the door are considered separate premises by TV licensing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

As long as you don't do it while sat on their toilet, because rooms with a lock on the door are considered separate premises by TV licensing.

Bold of you to imply that my bathrooms have locks - actually neither of them do

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I watch some BBC programmes (most recently the very good Back To Life s2 and Alma’s Not Normal) and I pay the TV license. I guess that makes me centrist dad in these parts.

Did anyone see the rather good recent Judith Butler piece in the Guardian? It was quite long. My supposition is that they let her publish it in full as recompense for cutting her interview.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

keep punching joe posted:

Not to do with the YouTube deletion, was in response to Lady Gaza's question on why online lefties seemed ambivalent towards Novara Media.

Ah, absolute apologies, I misread then.

To answer Lady Gaza's question then (from my perspective) Aaron often is a bit of a forward force and doesn't necessarily have a huge amount of depth, his book is very surface level and was a disappointing read.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I did actually receive a visit from TV licence "enforcement officers" recently, living in an urban centre. I was expecting a parcel so when my buzzer went I let someone into my block of flats without checking, so I saw through the peephole two men in orange fluorescent jackets walk up to my door and loiter. They didn't knock though, and I knew there was no reason to get a visit from a pair cosplaying as baliffs except the licence fee (been getting the letters for awhile), so I just never opened the door to them and they hosed off a few minutes later.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I buy a licence because it's not a hill I'm prepared to die on (or get stiffed for £1000). I would get caught, because that is my luck. I was burgled in 1989 and everyone told me to fake extra on my insurance claim. I did not, it was 100% accurate. Luckily. Because for the first time ever in the history of the Met, they caught the swine because he left a juicy thumb print on the bin he used to prop open the door when he was nicking my stuff (and when he was later nabbed for shooting the couple he robbed after me, the fingerprint was matched).

PS I do watch BBC old shows on Drama channel and Talking Pictures TV and occasional new dramas (though I can't think of any just now!). It is their Tory Propaganda on the so-called 'news' I can't stick.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 26, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fuctifino posted:

You can remove their implied right of access too, meaning that if they ever knock on your door again, it becomes an offence. I did that at my old address over the phone, and didn't have to give any real personal details.
How does this work then? Sounds like a giggle.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Almost all TV receivers and a lot of radios use a superheterodyne layout, where the incoming signal is converted to an intermediate frequency by mixing it with a local oscillator. You just monitor for the telltale frequency of that.

Easy when it's a valve tank circuit (50s/60s), harder when it's an on-chip VCO (80s/90s) and near impossible when it's anything other than the most dogshit of digital receivers without parking your detector van somewhere inside the metal enclosure:

Yep, that's what they were looking for - it was an offshoot of a design by Peter Wright, discovered entirely by accident while trying to search for a completely different sideband phenomenon, which MI5 hoped would let them pick up people listening to numbers stations by just flying a plane over cities while the stations were transmitting. As it turns out it wasn't sensitive enough over that kind of range[1] without very large, obvious antennae, which was pretty much the opposite of the extremely covert sort of thing they were trying to do, so they just handed it over to the GPO (who controlled TV licensing at the time) who promptly slapped an almost comically huge antenna on top of a Commer van.

Incidentally if you're interested in getting your hands on a good-quality RTLSDR, keep an eye on your local Cash Converters because they keep turning up in there marked as digital TV receivers (which of course they are) and priced at £10 - I assume whatever they use for setting prices really doesn't get the difference between a bog-standard DTTV dongle and one of the ones specifically designed for it. I grabbed one and an RPi Model 3 without a case for £30 for the two, which is how I now have a free Flightradar24 account. (Also any goons in north/north-east London with my level of nerdery please do the same as the FR24 coverage around there is *shocking*)

[1] There's an almost Clouseau moment in Spy Catcher where they take it out to try it in London one night and end up driving around in circles for hours assuming the system doesn't work because they just can't triangulate on the target, only later realising that the target was in a moving car which was possibly parked next to their van at one point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

How does this work then? Sounds like a giggle.

It doesn't work. But watching a FMOTL get owned is always a giggle.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

Did anyone see the rather good recent Judith Butler piece in the Guardian? It was quite long. My supposition is that they let her publish it in full as recompense for cutting her interview.
No but it's kind of funny watching terfs tie themselves in knots trying to disavow such a huge feminist icon from their version of feminism.

It seems like a good piece by the way, specifically (and rightly) linking gc to fascism:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/commentisfree/2021/oct/23/judith-butler-gender-ideology-backlash

I remember doing psychology back in the mid 90s at a level and there being an entire semester on sex & gender that referenced cases from the 70s about how academics understand them to be two distinct things. This is not a new thing. What is new (or at least old made new) is the anti-intellectual angle being used to attack higher education.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

It doesn't work. But watching a FMOTL get owned is always a giggle.

Wrong

From Here

You just have to phone them up and give your address.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The sight of Terfs sincerely speculating that Judith Butler didn't know anything about gender, and that someone should explain it to her was pretty funny. One of my favourite genres of self owns.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Bold of you to imply that my bathrooms have locks - actually neither of them do

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I buy a licence because it's not a hill I'm prepared to die on (or get stiffed for £1000). I would get caught, because that is my luck. I was burgled in 1989 and everyone told me to fake extra on my insurance claim. I did not, it was 100% accurate. Luckily. Because for the first time ever in the history of the Met, they caught the swine because he left a juicy thumb print on the bin he used to prop open the door when he was nicking my stuff (and when he was later nabbed for shooting the couple he robbed after me, the fingerprint was matched).

PS I do watch BBC old shows on Drama channel and Talking Pictures TV and occasional new dramas (though I can't think of any just now!). It is their Tory Propaganda on the so-called 'news' I can't stick.

Kind of surprised they even bothered to dust for fingerprints. Lately when I've been a victim of crime the cops haven't even bothered to show or even call me back when they said they would.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Gort posted:

Kind of surprised they even bothered to dust for fingerprints. Lately when I've been a victim of crime the cops haven't even bothered to show or even call me back when they said they would.

I'm guessing the fact that someone had been shot made them actually do some work.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm guessing the fact that someone had been shot made them actually do some work.

It’s also 1989.

I remember my parents place getting robbed in the late 90s and the police dusting for prints. It’s just more recently they’ve stopped.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

It’s also 1989.
Gunter! Gunter, it's Marvin. Your cousin, Marvin Schabowski. You know those new travel arrangements you're looking for?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The address I'm getting threatening TV license letters to is a newly created address, The 'house' was a hole in the ground and isnt much more now. I hope the inspectors do visit so they can inspect my foundations for TVs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Back in poll tax days, the local vicar (a relative) got a poll tax demand to the church. He replied saying he didn't think dead souls needed to pay it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Back in poll tax days, the local vicar (a relative) got a poll tax demand to the church. He replied saying he didn't think dead souls needed to pay it.

There's a Holy Trinity/single occupant discount joke here but I don't have the theology chops for it

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

cyril sneeeer posted:

I have suddenly found 180mg codeine. Drugs I didnt know I had. They tasted bitter.

Codeine is quite bitter.

180mg is quite a lot.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yes it is. Please don't take all of that at once Cyril Sneer

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

All fudge orders have now shipped!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1452940818860367872

I wonder who paid her to say this? She normally only speaks out when paid to by PR companies such as Tendo Consulting (Danny Alexander's old Downing Street team), where she was the voice for their first campaign, The Gurkhas, and was the main voice for their EndOurPain medicinal cannabis PR theatre.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:orb:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ravel posted:

I think your license should cover equipment at the address by you or your guests. It doesn't cover devices or persons - you could conceivably go to your friend's house and watch media on own your phone at their address if they have a license.

e: this is slightly complicated because your license also covers you to use iPlayer when you're travelling - as long as you don't connect to the mains (lol).

Guavanaut posted:

Do British tv license inspectors use the same rules as vampires? Just checking for my new horror novel...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Nenonen posted:

Do British tv license inspectors use the same rules as vampires? Just checking for my new horror novel...

You can invite them in, but you can also tell them to gently caress off at any time like any other individual.

The only time you can't tell them to gently caress off is if they have a warrant issued by a judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lungboy posted:

You aren't allowed to watch any live TV or use iPlayer without a licence. ITV Hub etc are ok as long as it's not a live broadcast. gently caress knows how they're going to stop you if you use a VPN.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-licence/

My experience so far:

I stopped paying mine a year ago, been visited four times (i'm in rural Northern Ireland, the lads must be desperate).

First thing he ever says is "do you have a TV?" before he even shows his ID, don't say yes, don't say no... i just grunt non committally and close him down.

They are paid on commission and are nothing more than door to door salesmen, as soon as you know what he is just close the door.. do not engage in any conversation. With Covid i only open a window these days so it's easier to disengage from. :)

The letters are designed to make you feel as guilty and vulnerable as possible even if you have done nothing wrong, i read and bin them.

I do not watch ANY tv station nor iPlayer at all, sat & aerial cables are cut.

I do not miss it at all.