Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hint: the religion of the Fremen is explicitly identified in the book as Zensunni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Orange Catholic flew right over my head as a kid ngl

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

That Works posted:

I really liked the film and I also agree with this. They could have just called it dune part 1 and it would have probably made it a little bit better but yeah the ending barely registers as an ending and it's not meant to be a self-contained story but it doesn't even try to be one which as is already been said here is going to be fine after the sequel is out but until then the movie leaves you feeling a little empty at the end.

It is called Dune Part One. It is one of the first things that shows up on the screen.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

yeah, and it was also "History of the World: Part 1"

that one even had a teaser trailer!

Yeah but we’re actually getting a sequel to that now!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadget posted:

It is called Dune Part One. It is one of the first things that shows up on the screen.

Except that’s not reflected anywhere on the trailers or promotional materials.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Strong Golden Compass vibes from the Dune discussion. But it sounds like Dune will make plenty of money, unlike Golden Compass.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Boss's boss suddenly accelerated his retirement from June to the end of November, right around the time that the vaccine mandate is going to bite :thunk:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1452702370190798848

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There's also a work session going on with actual doctors and the chat is flooded, with real names attached, of Fox News talking points and weirdo questions.

Got people asking if their life insurance is still valid if they die from the vaccine. Why won't they release the data? I bet Colin Powell regrets getting the shot. If you get hit by a motorcycle, it's COVID. It's not a "vaccine", it's a modifier. Should I wear a coat this winter to make sure others don't get cold? The mRNA shot creates the LETHAL protein spikes! You doctor's DO NOT KNOW the long term affects!

I hope they all get fired.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

quote:

“I could go to Hurricane Harbor [the waterpark area], but it seems weird being the only guy dressed business casual while everyone else is walking around in swim trunks and bikinis.” 
My man, you ate at an amusement park for 2 meals a day for a year as a cost saving measure. You should be beyond caring what's a little weird

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

There's also a work session going on with actual doctors and the chat is flooded, with real names attached, of Fox News talking points and weirdo questions.

Got people asking if their life insurance is still valid if they die from the vaccine. Why won't they release the data? I bet Colin Powell regrets getting the shot. If you get hit by a motorcycle, it's COVID. It's not a "vaccine", it's a modifier. Should I wear a coat this winter to make sure others don't get cold? The mRNA shot creates the LETHAL protein spikes! You doctor's DO NOT KNOW the long term affects!

Screenshot and post to the HCA Reddit.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've gotten food poisoning every time I've been to six flags. This dude must have an iron stomach.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

It's infuriating that these anti-everything idiots are so close to figuring it out (we live in a capitalist hellscape where businesses will literally kill us if number goes up), but then just turn that 90 degrees the wrong direction.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

facialimpediment posted:

I followed up on poo poo like this in a (fedgov) work chat by quoting some of the dumbest bits and asking "how am I supposed to trust the correctness and completeness of work produced by team members displaying this degree of willful ignorance and irresponsibility?" Haven't gotten in trouble yet thankfully. But the next meeting they disallowed anonymous replies.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Screenshot and post to the HCA Reddit.

There's no need, it's just regurgitated Fox News. I'm actively getting a headache just reading the stuff.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I followed up on poo poo like this in a (fedgov) work chat by quoting some of the dumbest bits and asking "how am I supposed to trust the correctness and completeness of work produced by team members displaying this degree of willful ignorance and irresponsibility?" Haven't gotten in trouble yet thankfully. But the next meeting they disallowed anonymous replies.

That's what's getting me. Lots and lots of names that I recognize that are spouting some of the dumbest, brain-poisoned poo poo that I've ever seen. Of course, Fox News has been mandatory on any TV screen for years.

Whoops there goes my lead engineer accusing the doctors of avoiding reporting adverse events into VAERS. Edit: now about ivermectin

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 26, 2021

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Don't need to save for retirement if your diet kills you by 37 *taps head*

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The food deal is immediately cancelled due to people taking advantage of the system.

Eat Arby’s.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GoGoGadget posted:

Thwomp posted:

Except that’s not reflected anywhere on the trailers or promotional materials.

This.

I get the Golden Compass vibe too but its definitely a solid flick and great setup for the sequel. I hope that the 2nd film comes out within a year, would suck to have to wait a long time for the next half.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Isnt' theme park food insanely expensive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not when you buy a season pass and work right across the street.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Milo and POTUS posted:

The deluxe season meal passes are priced assuming people only go to the park 3-4 times a year at most. Normal pass holders do not visit every single day for a year.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah its some deal that apparently includes 2 free meals a day. Thats the best year pass ive ever heard of

Stravag fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 26, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stravag posted:

Yeah its some deal that apparently includes 2 free meals a day. Thats the best year pass ive ever heard of

I will say if you enjoy six flags, that season pass is a real good deal. Go twice, Go to the water park a few days after school lets in after summer break and basically have it to your self and then go to fright fest and you've made your money back on parking alone.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadget posted:

Jesus I’m glad someone said this, I thought I was going nuts and had imagined that’s what the title said at the start of the film.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Going to see it tonight since it's getting bumped from the nearest Dolby theater for Eternals (I think) later this week

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I will say if you enjoy six flags, that season pass is a real good deal. Go twice, Go to the water park a few days after school lets in after summer break and basically have it to your self and then go to fright fest and you've made your money back on parking alone.

My FIL got us season passes for six flags a few years in a row. It was pretty great.

Same with all the museums around my area(Chicago). Each year we get season passes for a different museum and go a few times a year. The cost is like the same as going twice and you get vouchers for special exhibits.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Dune can’t really give off Golden Compass vibes until they cut out major plot points from the first movie because down the road instead of developing those points they just turn into a book-long rant about the Catholic Church and le epic internet atheist owns on the concept of a deity that ends with a long description of two children giving handjobs to each other’s souls.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

That Works posted:

This.

I get the Golden Compass vibe too but its definitely a solid flick and great setup for the sequel. I hope that the 2nd film comes out within a year, would suck to have to wait a long time for the next half.

The second film isn't even confirmed yet and all the actors are busy on other projects so it'll be a while.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Richard Bong posted:

My FIL got us season passes for six flags a few years in a row. It was pretty great.

Same with all the museums around my area(Chicago). Each year we get season passes for a different museum and go a few times a year. The cost is like the same as going twice and you get vouchers for special exhibits.

Art Institute of Chicago is insanely good, I could easily go there twice

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I used to know a guy who would go to Costco for the $1.50 hotdog and drink combo several times a week. Even with the annual membership cost, it's probably one of the cheapest meals you can get.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

book-long rant about the Catholic Church jihad and le epic internet atheist owns on the concept of a deity that ends with a long description of two children giving handjobs to each other’s souls.

Ok I have bad news about the rest of the Dune books my friend

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Untagged posted:

I used to know a guy who would go to Costco for the $1.50 hotdog and drink combo several times a week. Even with the annual membership cost, it's probably one of the cheapest meals you can get.

I had a 760 calorie slice of pizza and got my tires filled with nitrogen for 1.99 together at Costco today. PBUC

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Soul Dentist posted:

I had a 760 calorie slice of pizza and got my tires filled with nitrogen for 1.99 together at Costco today. PBUC

I only get mine filled with around 70% nitrogen, what's the advantage for the rest?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What’s weird to me about this Dune part 1/2 business is the burden of memory that Denis Villeneuve is taking on by doing it this. He said in an interview that part 1 is an, “introduction to the places and characters.” For fans, this won’t be a problem, but for the general public who’ve maybe/maybe not seen the 1984 film and didn’t really understand that one either, he’s got to build this part 2 in such a way that either recaps everything from part 1, or he rushes production of it fast enough that part 1 isn’t completely cobwebbed by memory by the time it releases. If it comes out in 2024 or something, the general public very well could be like.. who the f are all these people again? Lisam al what?? It could really make part 2 a mess.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Internet Wizard posted:

Dune can’t really give off Golden Compass vibes until they cut out major plot points from the first movie because down the road instead of developing those points they just turn into a book-long rant about the Catholic Church and le epic internet atheist owns on the concept of a deity that ends with a long description of two children giving handjobs to each other’s souls.

I meant more the hype around it. Before GC released they were trying to make it like the next LOTR or Harry Potter or some poo poo.

Dune seems to be making the money to get a part 2, GC fell apart and bombed (and was butchered for the film) ensuring no more fantasy polar bears or atheist message spread.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A major sci fi movie and one as weird as dune making as much as it has is genuinely baffling and I have no idea what to attribute it to.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Dune 2 is greenlit

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I meant more the hype around it. Before GC released they were trying to make it like the next LOTR or Harry Potter or some poo poo.

Dune seems to be making the money to get a part 2, GC fell apart and bombed (and was butchered for the film) ensuring no more fantasy polar bears or atheist message spread.

That being said, the series of His Dark Materials is pretty good and worth a watch.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

That Works posted:

I only get mine filled with around 70% nitrogen, what's the advantage for the rest?

They're better with fluctuating temperatures and maintaining inflation. I wouldn't care except it's $0 at Costco and I ate pizza the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That being said, the series of His Dark Materials is pretty good and worth a watch.

I've been meaning to watch that but I think it's a Showtime show in the US and I'm not paying for yet another service. Eventually it will stumble onto something I watch.