Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mrfart posted:

So Rod had a little crust on his back last week. It got bigger, and then it came off and was red and we decided to go to the vet.
The vet removed the remaining crust and cleaned the wound and gave a shot against the itching. Then, to err on the safe side, she checked under the microscope.
Here is some free advice, if a vet ever asks you if you want to have a look in the microscope POLITELY DECLINE. it’s mites, he has some aggressive type of mites that were burrowing under his skin. He got another shot and will need another one in 10 days.
We threw out everything, cleaned everything. Froze the new stuff first. Etc…
But I can still see these little alien monsters when I close my eyes. I feel so bad for him.
I’m guessing it came in with the bedding? Or the food? Very hard to say for sure.

Oh no! Are they scabies? Can they get on you? My family once had a scabies scare when I was a teen (turns out my sister’s just really, really allergic to poison ivy) and it was miserable. We had to turn the entire house over and launder every textile possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Oh no! Are they scabies? Can they get on you? My family once had a scabies scare when I was a teen (turns out my sister’s just really, really allergic to poison ivy) and it was miserable. We had to turn the entire house over and launder every textile possible

The vet assured me they are host specific.
Although with all the ducking kick I’ve been having with experts, I don’t know anymore and am super paranoid.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My piggies’ first vet visit is this month (they turned two last month :kimchi:). Would one larger carrier work for two pigs or should they each have their own? I know you can get a single carrier with two separate compartments.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pants Donkey posted:

My piggies’ first vet visit is this month (they turned two last month :kimchi:). Would one larger carrier work for two pigs or should they each have their own? I know you can get a single carrier with two separate compartments.

Assuming they get along ok, taking them in the same carrier shouldn't be a problem at all. In fact I sometimes bring along a friend to act as an emotional support pig for my oldest piggy because she is a nervous girl and doesn't like traveling too much.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They’re brothers, so besides dumbass sibling stuff (I have to give them treats at the same time to prevent treat theft) they have no problems with each other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/OO1oQvA.mp4

(not mine)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
brb gotta tend to my guinea garden.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Those who drink, please pour one/drink one out for my hedgehog Butter, who died today. Fat thing she was, over five years old, even if I only had her for about 5 months. Rescue animals sometimes come with a ticket punched early.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Here's to Butter. :guinness: Sorry, Cowslips.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Sorry to hear about Butter, Cowslips. I'll drink my current beer in honor of her. :cheerdoge:

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Mr. Dipper sadly passed away today. He had lost his energy over the past couple days and it looked like he went peacefully in his sleep. The little dude had a good long life.

Now I am just relaxing with Mr. Banjo and giving him extra attention. The little guy loves to just relax on the fuzzy blanket.
https://i.imgur.com/mSy8HhU.mp4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://i.imgur.com/KogcGFr.mp4

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am a loving idiot and bought detergent two months ago, but it was fabric softener in a similar looking green jug as what I normally buy. So for the past two months their blankets have gotten no detergent at all, and like a giant helping of fabric softener. I didn’t notice much until recently, when visible piss stains were showing up everywhere. I thought the blankets may have just been getting old, and that’s when I noticed my mistake :negative:

Their undercarriage and back legs were brown from sitting in presumably a mix of poop and piddle that didn’t wick through the blanket, so I gave them a rinse off in the sink. I didn’t use shampoo, just water to knock the worst of it off them. They’re still a bit stained under there, but I’m not 100% sure if that warrants a full-on bath.

Their feet don’t have any sores from what I can see, but their back feet are bright red so I’m going to call the vet this week to be safe since these are my first pigs and I know bumblefoot doesn’t gently caress around. Until then I heard soaking their feet in epsom salt can help. Any truth to that?

I feel so crappy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pants Donkey posted:

I am a loving idiot and bought detergent two months ago, but it was fabric softener in a similar looking green jug as what I normally buy. So for the past two months their blankets have gotten no detergent at all, and like a giant helping of fabric softener. I didn’t notice much until recently, when visible piss stains were showing up everywhere. I thought the blankets may have just been getting old, and that’s when I noticed my mistake :negative:

Their undercarriage and back legs were brown from sitting in presumably a mix of poop and piddle that didn’t wick through the blanket, so I gave them a rinse off in the sink. I didn’t use shampoo, just water to knock the worst of it off them. They’re still a bit stained under there, but I’m not 100% sure if that warrants a full-on bath.

Their feet don’t have any sores from what I can see, but their back feet are bright red so I’m going to call the vet this week to be safe since these are my first pigs and I know bumblefoot doesn’t gently caress around. Until then I heard soaking their feet in epsom salt can help. Any truth to that?

I feel so crappy.

If their fur is visibly soiled I would definitely give them a proper bath with some shampoo to get them clean. An epsom salt soak is probably not necessary if you've already got the bedding washed and changed out, imho.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Well, we had to put down Chester, our final remaining chinchilla, last week. We got him as a rescue about 3 years ago, and were told he was 14 at the time. He was probably not that old, but he definitely had some years on him. He was a very good boy: playful, curious, and a massive junkie for scratches. On a Friday night he seemed to be limping, so we checked his paws, found nothing, and then called the vet the next day. Meanwhile, he was noticeably coughing, sneezing, and wiping his nose. The day of his vet visit, he had a substantial head tilt, and was incapable of keeping his balance most of the time. We had him on painkillers, antibiotics, and criticalcare for a couple days. But he kept getting worse; his balance was completely nonexistent, the only thing he could do was lie on his left side.

The vet said it was either an infection that had found its way into his inner ear, or cancer. In the case of the infection, if the antibiotics didn't help, there really wasn't anything to do. So we put the poor guy down. With him gone, we're without any chinchillas for the first time in about 10 years. We're not ready to commit to a chinchilla lifespan just yet, so we're thinking of getting some rats. Being without any rodent friends is extremely un-fun.

He sure was a good boy though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Here is my hamster WHO IS ALIVE

Why is everyone's pets dying :c

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I feel so crappy.

I don’t understand, why would detergent be the determining factor in whether or not your pigs were sitting in their pooled up waste?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

verbal enema posted:

it is just how rodents Do

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Invictus posted:

it is just how rodents Do

De-lurking to comment that this is why I never got a gerbil or guinea pig despite thinking they're adorable, and apartment terms being much friendlier to them than a larger pet. I just don't think I can deal with the short lifespan.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
how does the chinchilla teleport in that gif at first

the gently caress is that kinda movement

also RIP Chester <3

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

verbal enema posted:

Here is my hamster WHO IS ALIVE

I did not end up posting about this a couple weeks back because it felt like such a downer, but I finally had to put my sweet Mavis to sleep. She made it to almost 7½ years old and managed to live for another year after a diagnosis of congestive heart failure. She had a couple bad days but 99% of the last year she was doing great, to the point I thought she might just keep going on her meds forever.

Mavis is probably the only pig I adopted and never changed her name, it was just too good. I got her from the Humane Society via a pet store that helped with rescue animals about an hour away from home. She was an all black piggy with the exception of some white fur on her butt and one white leg. She was always a very skittish girl, but not shy--she just didn't really want to have anything to do with you. Didn't like you looking at her too long, or petting her for more than about 10 seconds. Never really liked being held all that much, merely put up with it. I've got these twigloos and other hidey houses inside the pig cage and her favorite thing was hiding in them and moving them around the cage like her own little turtle shell. She was a food hound and would let me know (loudly) when she was ready for her next snack. Lettuce and cucumbers were her favorites. Her mouth moved about a mile a minute and anybody eating too slowly usually got their snack stolen by Mavis. Despite being a tad anti-social, she put up with her twice daily heart meds like a champ and never gave me any trouble. She was a really sweet girl and I miss her a lot.

Also I did something this time that I've never done before: after coming home from the vet with Mavis' body, I put her back in the cage with the rest of her herd. I've read about people doing this with other pets (not just guinea pigs) as some think this gives their companions a chance to understand that their friend is dead and not merely missing forever. I've had pigs grieve the loss of their cage mates in the past and it seemed like one of my pigs (Mommy, the Abyssinian in pic 2) was very close with Mavis. I left Mavis in the cage for about an hour and watched as all three pigs smelled her, groomed her intently, and then eventually became disinterested in her. I don't really know what went on inside of their little brains but after that they did not seem to be missing her.

P.S. your ham is v cute

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t understand, why would detergent be the determining factor in whether or not your pigs were sitting in their pooled up waste?
Fleece blankets wick away moisture, meaning urine goes through into an absorbent layer, in my case puppy pee pads. Fabric softener clogs some of these pores, so the urine doesn’t wick and is just absorbed by the blanket, resulting in soggy spots that the pigs may step in.

Having run the blankets a few times through the wash, there have only been a few tiny wet spots and their hideys don’t have any large wet patches, so it looks like fleece should be back to normal.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

I did not end up posting about this a couple weeks back because it felt like such a downer, but I finally had to put my sweet Mavis to sleep. She made it to almost 7½ years old and managed to live for another year after a diagnosis of congestive heart failure. She had a couple bad days but 99% of the last year she was doing great, to the point I thought she might just keep going on her meds forever.

Mavis is probably the only pig I adopted and never changed her name, it was just too good. I got her from the Humane Society via a pet store that helped with rescue animals about an hour away from home. She was an all black piggy with the exception of some white fur on her butt and one white leg. She was always a very skittish girl, but not shy--she just didn't really want to have anything to do with you. Didn't like you looking at her too long, or petting her for more than about 10 seconds. Never really liked being held all that much, merely put up with it. I've got these twigloos and other hidey houses inside the pig cage and her favorite thing was hiding in them and moving them around the cage like her own little turtle shell. She was a food hound and would let me know (loudly) when she was ready for her next snack. Lettuce and cucumbers were her favorites. Her mouth moved about a mile a minute and anybody eating too slowly usually got their snack stolen by Mavis. Despite being a tad anti-social, she put up with her twice daily heart meds like a champ and never gave me any trouble. She was a really sweet girl and I miss her a lot.

Also I did something this time that I've never done before: after coming home from the vet with Mavis' body, I put her back in the cage with the rest of her herd. I've read about people doing this with other pets (not just guinea pigs) as some think this gives their companions a chance to understand that their friend is dead and not merely missing forever. I've had pigs grieve the loss of their cage mates in the past and it seemed like one of my pigs (Mommy, the Abyssinian in pic 2) was very close with Mavis. I left Mavis in the cage for about an hour and watched as all three pigs smelled her, groomed her intently, and then eventually became disinterested in her. I don't really know what went on inside of their little brains but after that they did not seem to be missing her.

P.S. your ham is v cute

Rodents don't live long enough.

I do remember when Urchin died; my cat Bug kept poking around his cage. She was never super close to him, but did supervise my bed when I had him running around on it. I highly suspect she knew when he was gone, even if I left his cage up. She kept peeking in it, as if looking for him. And some months later, when I brought Butter home, holy poo poo, the cat kept springing all over the place, staring and getting close before leaping away. She KNEW it wasn't the same hoggie, I suspect, but she wasn't entirely sure, even if Butter was twice the size of Urchin, and female.

The hoggies, for their parts, never cared about the cat. But I do think Bug misses them both. I'd take the cage down but may as well keep it up, who knows, I might find some hamster who deserves a large cage to run and piss in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rodents don't live long enough.

rabbits are like guinea pigs that live 1.5-2x as long

I’m terribly sorry for your loss and also come join us in the dark side (it’s dark because rabbits like to be underground)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there a way to lessen a pig loitering at their hay? One of my boys loves nothing more than to park his rump right next to the hay bin and sleep or chill right on top of the pile of hay they grab but don’t eat. This makes it a gross mix of hay, piss, and feces by the time I get home from work.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Make the hay bin hanging? A grid bent in half with some zipties makes a good one. Make sure bend on the sides of the grid without the weld (one of the four sides has a weld bump, don't bend that).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Is there a way to lessen a pig loitering at their hay? One of my boys loves nothing more than to park his rump right next to the hay bin and sleep or chill right on top of the pile of hay they grab but don’t eat. This makes it a gross mix of hay, piss, and feces by the time I get home from work.

Do they have a dig box/soft place to sleep?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Their hay is attached to the side, they just love to take a piece, eat maybe half, drop it, and repeat.

I use blankets to line their cage; only one of them does this. It’s weird.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Their hay is attached to the side, they just love to take a piece, eat maybe half, drop it, and repeat.

I use blankets to line their cage; only one of them does this. It’s weird.

blankets lining the cage is different from having a litter box or hide box with material to snuggle and nest into

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
4am better run like a lunatic on my wheel

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just take their wheels out when I go to sleep. either they run on their silent runner wheels so much it makes a ton of noise anyways, or they knock the wheel over and start banging it against things instead. better to just nip that in the bud before they can do it in the first place

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Nah it's cool I live by myself I just find it funny that that is the time when he decides to be The Fastest Hamster In The World.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I had a friend who had trouble sleeping for weeks because his ham kept running in the wheel at night. I took the wheel out, removed the axel, put one drop of olive oil on it with kitchen towel (making sure the ham couldn’t reach the piled up part), reassembled and ham was running like a ninja.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
my fiancee and i recently got a syrian hamster; she's ridiculously cute and we have one of those big enclosures with ramps and lots of toys, places to hide, etc., but she does keep chewing on the bars. we bring her out of the enclosure to play in a big playpen, and she seems to have a nice time with that, but we're worried about the bar-chewing. she definitely has lots of sticks and wooden toys and stuff that she can (and will) chew on, but she'll keep going to her favorite corner of the cage and just gnawing the bars. is there something that we should be doing? how do we tell if she's actually super stressed and trying to let us know?

this is peach, by the way. a very good ham

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Some hamsters will just chew the bars no matter what you do and how much extra space you give them, until you take all the bars away out of frustration. I ended up putting a water bottle over that spot, with my old boy, so he couldn't chew it as easily.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Obnoxipus posted:

my fiancee and i recently got a syrian hamster; she's ridiculously cute and we have one of those big enclosures with ramps and lots of toys, places to hide, etc., but she does keep chewing on the bars. we bring her out of the enclosure to play in a big playpen, and she seems to have a nice time with that, but we're worried about the bar-chewing. she definitely has lots of sticks and wooden toys and stuff that she can (and will) chew on, but she'll keep going to her favorite corner of the cage and just gnawing the bars. is there something that we should be doing? how do we tell if she's actually super stressed and trying to let us know?

this is peach, by the way. a very good ham

have you considered a naturalistic bioactive hamster setup? its probably fine

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
yeah, i think we figured it out last night. she was going bonkers and chewing on the bars of her door so we'd been trying to distract her with her toys or pieces of her food or a treat (or just letting her out in an enclosed area), but nothing seemed to work, so we eventually gave up for the night...and as soon as we left, she stopped.

i think she knew that it was a great way to get stuff from us, and we didn't even realize it.

once we stopped bribing her, she gave up and ran on her wheel for a while so i guess we just got outsmarted by a hamster. :shrug: good for her!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Another foster in the cat rescue asked if anyone wanted hamsters/could take two. I said sure, I got the room. And was given two dwarf hamsters (they are rather stressed right now so no pics) and two insane metal cages with all the plastic tubes that arch all over the place. I was hoping to put one in Butter's old cage, but the bars are wide enough either can slip through.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Another foster in the cat rescue asked if anyone wanted hamsters/could take two. I said sure, I got the room. And was given two dwarf hamsters (they are rather stressed right now so no pics) and two insane metal cages with all the plastic tubes that arch all over the place. I was hoping to put one in Butter's old cage, but the bars are wide enough either can slip through.

naturalistic 👏🏼 bioactive 👏🏼 hamster 👏🏼 build 👏🏼

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ok Comboomer posted:

naturalistic 👏🏼 bioactive 👏🏼 hamster 👏🏼 build 👏🏼

this is my plan