Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i want to see john wick as a hero of the horn now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One of birgittes silver arrows makes a whole seanchan ship explode at falme so they seem to be fighting with some degree of mythic upgrades

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
It's really easy. Have a sister notice that Egwene is taveran. Ezpz

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SerSpook posted:

i want to see john wick as a hero of the horn now

Refuses to join the Heroes of the Horn until someone offs his wolf in The Dream killing it forever

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Hawkwing recognizes Rand and Mat, at least, when Mat first blows the horn. He says that Rand is bound to the Horn and that Mat would be if he hadn't rejected it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
"Oscar instead of Otarin. Richard instead of Rambo."

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nitrousoxide posted:

Since ta'veren don't necessarily need to be good fighters, and good fighters don't necessarily need to be influential people, I don't see why there would be complete overlap between those sets

Thinking about it though, it's unlucky that the heroes of the horn don't include, like people with guns from previous ages. Think of how much better 1 dude with a gun would be than like 20 heroes with swords or maces.

The gun might be more useful in real life, but the times we see the heroes it's things like Bridgette riding her horse across an ocean bay and sinking ships with her arrows. They get a pretty huge bump in abilities and powers when they get called by the Horn, so it probably wouldn't be as useful as you think.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide posted:

Refuses to join the Heroes of the Horn until someone offs his wolf in The Dream killing it forever

Goddammmit

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't see how Egwene's character is improved by making her blessed by fate instead of achieving things through her own effort.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

mossyfisk posted:

I don't see how Egwene's character is improved by making her blessed by fate instead of achieving things through her own effort.

Are Rand, Mat, and Perrin diminished in their accomplishments for being Ta'veran, then?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Since ta'veren don't necessarily need to be good fighters, and good fighters don't necessarily need to be influential people, I don't see why there would be complete overlap between those sets

Thinking about it though, it's unlucky that the heroes of the horn don't include, like people with guns from previous ages. Think of how much better 1 dude with a gun would be than like 20 heroes with swords or maces.

Y'know, all the stuff about casting for the show, character appearances, questions of race and ethnicity, always reminds me of Idris Elba in The Dark Tower.

Can we have Roland Deschain as a Hero of the Horn? Please? He's absolutely Hero of the Horn material. That was just the, uhhh, Sixth Age, yeah, yeah, the Sixth Age.

Probably don't have the budget to get Elba for a cameo role, but if only they did. I wonder if King would be okay with the crossover. (And who would have to sign off for there not to be an issue with the screen rights.)

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

jng2058 posted:

Are Rand, Mat, and Perrin diminished in their accomplishments for being Ta'veran, then?

The Ta'veren accomplishments aren't themselves impressive, yeah. Unless you see a bunch of people talking about how the best thing about Perrin is that he became lord of the Two Rivers rather than how he led those people to overcome impossible odds, or how the most impressive thing about Mat wasn't that he couldn't let himself leave someone in danger, but instead how he always happened to be around at the right moment to help.

The equivalent thing for Egwene would be that being Ta'veren caused her to be chosen as Amyrin, but all the things that lead up to her actually owning that position were her own. It doesn't really make anything better in the story.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vavrek posted:

Probably don't have the budget to get Elba for a cameo role

Just cast him as Gareth Bryne

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

How OP does Rand’s “will anything to happen” power get at the end of the series? I can imagine him having a blanket rule that anyone who could rope him back into responsibilities, mainly Thom and Moiraine, either can’t see him or can’t get within 1 square mile of him.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Democratic Pirate posted:

How OP does Rand’s “will anything to happen” power get at the end of the series? I can imagine him having a blanket rule that anyone who could rope him back into responsibilities, mainly Thom and Moiraine, either can’t see him or can’t get within 1 square mile of him.

It's never quite actually that, really. After getting captured by Semirhage and banishing Cadsuane, he scares the poo poo out of her by talking about it like that, but it's never shown in the book to actually work that way. What is shown is that the pattern demands balance, and after Dragonmount, Rand is the one singular focus of that. The Dark One pushes more awful poo poo in to the world, and so wherever Rand is, things are better. (The sun comes out, food isn't spoiled, things grow and live again).

e: What does happen is people get caught up surrounding him, one of my favorite scenes is right after Dragonmount where he goes to visit Egwene in Tar Valon to say he's going to break the seals. After the meeting all the other sisters mention how they kept trying to interrupt but it felt like their lungs were being squeezed shut so tightly that they couldn't speak. I just love the huge flip from death and destruction darkness Rand to Zen Master 450 years of memories reborn Aes Sedai.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 26, 2021

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

:perfect:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Rarity posted:

Just cast him as Gareth Bryne

He would be a fantastic Gareth Bryne. God drat. I wonder if Bryne's already cast, given they're shooting season 2. Depends on how much of the Caemlyn court they're showing, if Elayne's entrance is entirely in the White Tower ...

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm not surprised that they named their subreddit that but also at the same time do they never actually realize what kind of look it gives off when they name themselves after a faction where it literally takes the vast majority of the books before they reach a point where someone might even remotely be able to turn them around and make them not a bunch of highly, morally corrupt fascists?

Probably similar to the ‘edgy’ racist people who spew racial slurs on discord and online gaming and laugh that others are so offended. There’s no self reflection there.

On a similar note, I’ve been rereading and didn’t really connect the mentions of whitecloaks having pointy klan-shaped helmets before. Possibly because I skimmed through most white cloak content the first time around because so much of their plot line is so loathsome.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

jng2058 posted:

Yes.

Rand is described as being propped up by his Ta'veran nature despite his relative inexperience on multiple occasions, IIRC.

Mat is unbelievably lucky. Much of how battles go is based on luck, no matter how good a general you are. How much of it is his downloaded memories of battle, and how much of it is his unreal luck? It's hard to say.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

It's never quite actually that, really. After getting captured by Semirhage and banishing Cadsuane, he scares the poo poo out of her by talking about it like that, but it's never shown in the book to actually work that way. What is shown is that the pattern demands balance, and after Dragonmount, Rand is the one singular focus of that. The Dark One pushes more awful poo poo in to the world, and so wherever Rand is, things are better. (The sun comes out, food isn't spoiled, things grow and live again).

e: What does happen is people get caught up surrounding him, one of my favorite scenes is right after Dragonmount where he goes to visit Egwene in Tar Valon to say he's going to break the seals. After the meeting all the other sisters mention how they kept trying to interrupt but it felt like their lungs were being squeezed shut so tightly that they couldn't speak. I just love the huge flip from death and destruction darkness Rand to Zen Master 450 years of memories reborn Aes Sedai.

I always read the pipe lighting trick at the very end of the series as the pattern giving Rand a golden thread for retirement. Maybe he can’t manifest whatever he wants, but enough for him to do stuff like wander into the Aiel waste and conveniently find food/water for survival.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I'm reading Sanderson's Stormlight Archive right now and I'm really enjoying it. It's making me think of going back to Wheel of Time, which I started in high school (over a decade ago) and quit after the first book. Not because I didn't like it, but I just didn't feel compelled to continue. I'm interested especially in the Sanderson finale of WoT, but I'm also interested in checking this prodigious series off my list since it's the only one if its stature that I haven't read. Two questions before I get into it:

1. Do I have to re-read The Eye of the World? I've already read it (albeit very long ago) and if I could find a detailed summary I'd feel fine about just reading that as a refresher.
2. Do the things that I remember as shortcomings (one-dimensional characters, especially female characters, and a feeling that it was all a bit too derivative of Lord of the Rings) recede as the series progresses? The drat thing is 14 books or whatever, so I assume Jordan probably developed as a writer. Can I look forward to certain improvements in his storytelling?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm reading Sanderson's Stormlight Archive right now and I'm really enjoying it. It's making me think of going back to Wheel of Time, which I started in high school (over a decade ago) and quit after the first book. Not because I didn't like it, but I just didn't feel compelled to continue. I'm interested especially in the Sanderson finale of WoT, but I'm also interested in checking this prodigious series off my list since it's the only one if its stature that I haven't read. Two questions before I get into it:

1. Do I have to re-read The Eye of the World? I've already read it (albeit very long ago) and if I could find a detailed summary I'd feel fine about just reading that as a refresher.
2. Do the things that I remember as shortcomings (one-dimensional characters, especially female characters, and a feeling that it was all a bit too derivative of Lord of the Rings) recede as the series progresses? The drat thing is 14 books or whatever, so I assume Jordan probably developed as a writer. Can I look forward to certain improvements in his storytelling?

Yes it gets better and it gets very much less LOTRy

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Racing Stripe posted:

The eye of the world is really core character setting and letting the thing be a thing so he could maybe hopefully do more. If you remember the core characters/basic setting items, you could p easily pick up and run with it from the Great Hunt imo.

I would say the plot is immediately not really derivative of LotR by certainly the end of the 3rd book, but really I think is doing it's own thing more or less starting in the 2nd. The comparisons are p thin fantasy stuff really at that point. It does have some real basic bitches in it, but all the folks you actually care about have a very real amount of depth that is expanded on over the remaining books. RJ added too many spare side characters, which might be what you're noting (that I guess doesn't go away), but all the folks that have actual arcs I think are well developed and not too 1 dimensional.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even by the end of book 1 it's way less of a copy-paste than, say, Sword of Shannara.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

None of our main characters in EotW could really be considered as one dimensional beyond maybe Mat, there's a lot of depth set up early. Particularly with the female characters. God, Nynaeve is so great to read.

I'd also argue the LotR pastiche ends by like the last third of the first book beyond just the broadest fantasy tropes. Book 2 and 3 follow the same general formula but really stop feeling Tolkinesque, and from book 4 onwards the series is a completely different animal.

I'd say just read the first book again, there's a lot of awesome imagery, foreshadowing and pieces being put in place for later stuff that a recap wouldn't give you. If you don't have the patience to get through it then hoo boy you may be reading the wrong series.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm reading Sanderson's Stormlight Archive right now and I'm really enjoying it. It'making me think of going back to Wheel of Time, which I started in high school (over a decade ago) and quit after the first book. Not because I didn't like it, but I just didn't feel compelled to continue. I'm interested especially in the Sanderson finale of WoT, but I'm also interested in checking this prodigious series off my list since it's the only one if its stature that I haven't read. Two questions before I get into it:

The writing is solid through book 6 then RJ gets lost up his own rear end on describing specific textures of silk and poo poo and it becomes a bit of a chore until Sanderson takes over. And RJ never gets good at writing women

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

once you start book 2 the tolkien stuff is basically gone and i will suggest that if you've matured at all since high school your perspective on the female characters (well at least nynaeve) will change. also, RJ is a better writer than sanderson (who openly revered him) so i suspect you will like the series

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

buffalo all day posted:

once you start book 2 the tolkien stuff is basically gone and i will suggest that if you've matured at all since high school your perspective on the female characters (well at least nynaeve) will change. also, RJ is a better writer than sanderson (who openly revered him) so i suspect you will like the series

Yeah, good point. Thinking "god drat it nynaeve is so annoying!!!" might have been saying more about me than about the writing.

Thanks for all the replies. Y'all don't completely agree with each other, but it sounds like you agree that the LotR parallels drop off and the series generally gets better as it goes, which is what one would hope.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Racing Stripe posted:

Yeah, good point. Thinking "god drat it nynaeve is so annoying!!!" might have been saying more about me than about the writing.

Thanks for all the replies. Y'all don't completely agree with each other, but it sounds like you agree that the LotR parallels drop off and the series generally gets better as it goes, which is what one would hope.

The series gets better with time, though there's a bit of a slog in some of the "middle books", with the worst offender being book 10. Book 11 immediately picks up pace a lot, and books 12, 13 and 14 are the split apart final book, and even in 3k pages there's so much going on that some storylines are still noticeably truncated.

Please keep in mind that this is the WoT spoiler thread, and so there will be unmarked spoilers for basically the entire series here.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Democratic Pirate posted:

Gwaihir posted:

However, (big TGS spoilers) before Dragonmount and after he uses the True Power to free Min and kill Semirhage, he becomes the focal point for the Dark One's influence. Bad poo poo starts happening around him and nearly nothing good. People can actually feel it when he focuses on them, and especially when he is thinking about (and probably unconsciously touching) the TP. He starts to realize he can manifest his pattern manipulation, but he doesn't realize it's only when he's doing stuff that the DO is down with. He's most of the way down the path to becoming the Dark One's new champion at this point and can definitely affect things around him through force of will alone. Note, the big culmination of this bad-intent pattern-bending is when he meets with Tuon in the following passage:

TGS Chapter 35 posted:

Al’Thor placed his hand on the table, palm down. He leaned forward, trapping Tuon’s eyes with his own. Who could look away from those intense gray eyes, like steel? “None of this matters. Mat doesn’t matter. Our similarities and our differences do not matter. All that matters is need. And I need you.”

He leaned forward further, looming. His form didn’t change, but he suddenly seemed a hundred feet tall. He spoke in that same calm, piercing voice, but there was a threat to it now. An edge.

“You must call off your attacks,” he said, nearly a whisper. “You must sign a treaty with me. These are not requests. They are my will.”

Tuon found herself longing, suddenly, to obey him. To please him. A treaty. A treaty would be excellent, it would give her a chance to stabilize her hold on the lands here. She could plan how to restore order back in Seanchan. She could recruit and train. So many possibilities opened to her, as if her mind were suddenly determined to see every advantage of the alliance and none of the flaws.

She reached for those flaws, scrambling to see the problems in uniting herself with this man. But they became liquid in her mind and slipped away. She couldn’t snatch them up and form objections. The pavilion grew silent, the breeze falling still.
What was happening to her? She felt short of breath, as though a weight constricted her chest. She felt as if she couldn’t help but bend before the will of this man!

His expression was grim. Despite the afternoon light, his face was shadowed, far more so than everything else beneath the pavilion. He held her eyes still, and her breaths came quick and short. In the corners of her vision, she thought she saw something around him. A dark haze, a halo of blackness, emanating from him. It warped the air like a great heat. Her throat constricted, and words were forming. Yes. Yes. I will do as you ask. Yes. I must. I must.

“No,” she said, the word barely a whisper.

His expression grew darker, and she saw fury in the way he pressed his hand down, fingers trembling with the force. The way he clenched his jaw. The way his eyes opened wider. Such intensity.

“I need—” he began.

“No,” she repeated, confidence growing. “You will bow before me, Rand al’Thor. It will not happen the other way around.” Such darkness! How could one man contain it? He seemed to throw a shadow the size of a mountain.

She could not ally with this creature. That seething hatred, it terrified her, and terror was an emotion with which she was unfamiliar. This man could not be allowed freedom to do as he wished. He had to be contained.

He watched her for a moment longer. “Very well,” he said. His voice was ice.

Tuon is a terrible empress of a slave state but she is at the top of the strength-of-will rankings for sure.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Tuon is a terrible empress of a slave state but she is at the top of the strength-of-will rankings for sure.

man it's easy to forget just how loving reality-bendingly evil rand was in that first meeting lol

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

The tragedy of it all is that that she's a drat good empress! If she'd been some Caligula style worthless empress, the damage Semirhage did to the Seanchan would have been permanent. But because Fortuona turned out to be good at her job, the empire, and all it's wretched slavery, continues into the future!

Of course arguably if she's actually been terrible as an empress, the Seanchan night not have made it to the Last Battle, and the world might have been destroyed entirely. So there's that. Maybe the tragedy is really that she survives the Last Battle?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean, there is their literal god-king wandering over to her for a little chat after the end of the last battle. I suspect when your idol says "yo, you got a few things wrong," you might take it on board

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, there is their literal god-king wandering over to her for a little chat after the end of the last battle. I suspect when your idol says "yo, you got a few things wrong," you might take it on board

You'd like to think so, but the "Raven Empire" is still keeping damane decades into the future. That's why the Aiel go after them in Aviendha's vision, after all. Now possibly things do change with the alterations to the future timeline that Aviendha's warnings create, but on the other hand, Fortuona faced the Dragon Reborn using the True Power to dominate her mind....and resisted it. She could also have resisted Hawkwing. For that matter, Hawkwing died hating Aes Sedai and wishing them death, so maybe his little pep talk was more along the lines of "hey, good job, girl, keep on keeping on!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
One hopes that with Mat's influence and the pressure of having to recapture her empire she re-thinks some things.

End of the day the Seanchan are at a massive tactical disadvantage vis-a-vis other channeling populations, for a number of reasons, not least of them the lack of the ability to form large-scale circles.

jng2058 posted:

You'd like to think so, but the "Raven Empire" is still keeping damane decades into the future. That's why the Aiel go after them in Aviendha's vision, after all. Now possibly things do change with the alterations to the future timeline that Aviendha's warnings create,

The implication in that alternate timeline seems to be that basically all our protagonists have died off, and relatively early.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 26, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rarity posted:

The writing is solid through book 6 then RJ gets lost up his own rear end on describing specific textures of silk and poo poo and it becomes a bit of a chore until Sanderson takes over. And RJ never gets good at writing women

This is a very derivative exaggeration. Jordan's books are fantastic all the way through, and Sanderson does a fairly ok job of wrapping them up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

How are u posted:

This is a very derivative exaggeration. Jordan's books are fantastic all the way through, and Sanderson does a fairly ok job of wrapping them up.

Nobody who read books 8-10 as they were released would ever say that the series was "fantastic all the way through". Many fans didn't even like A Crown of Swords.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

Nobody who read books 8-10 as they were released would ever say that the series was "fantastic all the way through". Many fans didn't even like A Crown of Swords.

But that's because you had to wait for years between the later books. Those of us who were able to read the books back to back, espcially the audiobook versions, don't tend to find the "slog" nearly as onerous. So if you're reading the books for the first time now odds are good it won't bother you nearly so much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, that's kind of a useless distinction nowadays when most people asking about the series are going to be entirely new to it and won't really have to wait between books. doesn't really help when you have a handful of people cropping up every single time to talk about how much they hated some arbitrary stretch of books due to a couple years stretching between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

But that's because you had to wait for years between the later books. Those of us who were able to read the books back to back, espcially the audiobook versions, don't tend to find the "slog" nearly as onerous. So if you're reading the books for the first time now odds are good it won't bother you nearly so much.

It isn't nearly as bad no but even on a re-read the middle books do slow down a great deal. There's still 54 pages of elayne taking a bath. There's still hundreds of pages of political chitchat that goes practically nowhere.

There's still good stuff in the chaff but there's definitely three or so books where the pacing slows down *dramatically* and each of those books is roughly 800 pages long and a lot of readers nope out somewhere during that stretch.