Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kaedric posted:

There's a lot less 'shouting down' in CSPAM than you guys think. The only person I can think of in recent memory being 'run off' in the sense that people dogpile them is Kim Bong Chill, and that is an obvious gimmick account.

Yeah, people are gonna post the newest thing that shows AOC or Bernie, with their spines completely shattered, bending to the whims of the democrats, despite their 'revolutionary' rhetoric. You can still post that you like them, it's not the end of the world. Some folks may lol at you, it's ok.

Maybe y'all are thinking back to when Taintrunner was around calling everyone a rapist or whatever. It was tedious as hell for us too, let me tell you.

I was shouted down from Doomsday Econ for posting about the QCS thread, so the barometer for non-succzone engagement of dnd drama is 0% interest. Doomsday Econ is where you go to post about number going up and specifically who is doing the worst economic crimes jobs creation. It would not fit well in DnD as there is an ebb and flow of low to high effort. It was the best place of the forums to be durring the triple breaker plummet of the market (it got better), the GameStop meme stocks, and has appropriate crypto reporting.

Kim Bong Chill got the chain probe most recently, he was a jerk rereg, honestly a p good mirror of the Fancy Pelosi mod responce. Flavud Aetass was the poster ran out before then. Lastly Larry Parrish was before then, but the community has been posting to free him since. This is your historic forums lore report.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I have no idea what goes on in the megathreads (Trump, Climate, Covid, etc) but if you're a lurker reading this who wants to talk about politics and C-SPAM seems too mean or whatever: come post in C-SPAM. It's actually a very good place to post, especially now that thanks to da toe killa the worst and dumbest threads are gone. My favorite is the Marxism thread, which flips seamlessly between friendly and funny shitposting and legitimately insightful analyses and discussions by some incredibly smart and well-read posters

also, w/r/t the thread topic: D&D would kick rear end if every time you wanted to call someone out for denying China carrying out an Uighur genocide you first had to acknowledge:
- America's ongoing genocide of its own black population
- America's ongoing genocide of its indigenous population
- The true nature of the concentration camps at America's southern border
- America's hand in abetting genocides all over the world

I don't think it would fix any problem but it'd be incredibly funny to see the very serious and concerned China hawks have to admit all this before they try to argue it's a good thing to give the pentagon 100 trillion dollars because of the yellow menace or whatever they keep going on about

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mellow Seas posted:

I get salty with people because of personality issues, not because of policy issues, and I'm not really interested in having to-the-death debates about policy issues. I really just want to talk about the news, and I don't want people expressing schadenfreude at my expense. I don't really read CSPAM so this is an honest question - how do people who are, for lack of a better term, "pro-AOC and Bernie Sanders", get along with the posters who are constantly making GBS threads on them? How do you keep that disagreement from spiraling into hostility? Is one side dominant over the other? Does it come down, thread by thread, to just who can shout the loudest?
Can't speak to that really, since I generally don't participate in USpol threads. I feel like those megathreads are more divided along posting styles than topics though, given how strange the posting style of Trump thread regulars is. You can tell almost immediately when they start posting in a non-Trump thread, it's uncanny. Which I suppose is sort of what you're saying here:

Mellow Seas posted:

Maybe part of the reason CSPAM works better than D&D is because there is no "one" megathread, and so people can go post in a thread that is more their speed. (I know that a lot of CSPAM hates the succzone thread, and a lot of the succzone thread hates most of CSPAM, for example.) In D&D, people feel like they're missing out on eyeballs if they're not posting in USNews, so everything ends up in there trying to please everybody and pleasing nobody.
I'm not sure you're wrong. Making USChat a continuation of USNews as it is now, and then a USDiscussion thread where the mods don't touch their buttons outside people using slurs and poo poo might ease up tensions a lot. You can even flitter between threads depending on the mood, just like people do between D&D and C-SPAM.

lobster shirt posted:

Maybe a good way to improve the whole "working the refs to win arguments" thing is... well, it has been said in the past that there are people who max out their number of daily reports here in D&D (and also in CSPAM but this is a thread for D&D moderation so please let's stick to the topic at hand). Maybe those people should be punished for it? Or in general, if a mod spots an instance of "ref working", or people reporting posts while actively engaged in an argument with those post(er)s, maybe punish that as well?
I would definitely be appreciative if I saw "Tried to work the ref" as a probation reason. Obviously the burden of proof shouldn't just be whether the reported post was probation worthy, but if you have like two pages of tensions building up between two posters with no attempt to deescalate from the person reporting, then it should be a pretty slam dunk case.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Mellow Seas posted:

I think people who post in D&D are mostly people who don't like going out of their way to share their thoughts on something they care about and getting "lmao" (or 10 "lmaos") as a response. I think they're hardly unique in the world in that respect. I don't care if that makes us "soft" or loses us internet cred or whatever.

And conversely, I'm sure there's people (like myself) who don't like going out of their way to share their thoughts on something they care about and getting probated/ramped for it due to mod bias.

And who said anything about internet cred or being 'soft'?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

I was shouted down from Doomsday Econ for posting about the QCS thread, so the barometer for non-succzone engagement of dnd drama is 0% interest.

Kim Bong Chill got the chain probe most recently, he was a jerk rereg, honestly a p good mirror of the Fancy Pelosi mod responce. Flavud Aetass was the poster ran out before then. Lastly Larry Parrish was before then, but the community has been posting to free him since. This is your historic forums lore report.

don't forget how are u. We don't count him as a chain probe because that was just CSPAM IKs delivering the retribution he should have gotten in the #metoo thread, but he does post regularly & get made fun of. There's a couple periodic guys in the china thread, although most filtered out after the AP article, and "shouting down" there comprises mostly "getting a really good argument in response and then vanishing" and "everyone empty quoting a really good dunk"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I have no idea what goes on in the megathreads (Trump, Climate, Covid, etc) but if you're a lurker reading this who wants to talk about politics and C-SPAM seems too mean or whatever: come post in C-SPAM. It's actually a very good place to post, especially now that thanks to da toe killa the worst and dumbest threads are gone. My favorite is the Marxism thread, which flips seamlessly between friendly and funny shitposting and legitimately insightful analyses and discussions by some incredibly smart and well-read posters

also, w/r/t the thread topic: D&D would kick rear end if every time you wanted to call someone out for denying China carrying out an Uighur genocide you first had to acknowledge:
- America's ongoing genocide of its own black population
- America's ongoing genocide of its indigenous population
- The true nature of the concentration camps at America's southern border
- America's hand in abetting genocides all over the world

I don't think it would fix any problem but it'd be incredibly funny to see the very serious and concerned China hawks have to admit all this before they try to argue it's a good thing to give the pentagon 100 trillion dollars because of the yellow menace or whatever they keep going on about

CSPAM has never told me that my actual beliefs were just me trolling so I'm a lot more willing to post in CSPAM. I feel like that's another big difference between the two. If you believe something dumb CSPAMs attitude tends to be that yes you believe it and also that you're dumb for it. If D&D thinks you have a dumb belief it seems to default to this idea that there's no way you actually think that and you must be making it up to troll people which is honestly a lot more insulting and hostile than just being told it's dumb.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have a lot of succzone posts, and sometimes people yell at me for posts or opinions or modding decisions (at least one person is mad about every decision to probe someone or to not probe them), and sometimes I yell back, and sometimes a third person yells at one of the two earlier parties, but then we all generally move on with our lives when we forget what we were yelling about, it's actually a very laid-back posting environment considering how opinionated everyone involved is

Mellow Seas posted:

e: Sorry, snarky. The fact is I've read the succ thread (because my posts end up there sometimes!), I hate it and I think it's awful, I would never in a million years want to post there. Even if I did, it moves way too fast for me. So why do people who hate USNews and think it's awful want to post there so much?

I actually agree with this and would generally prefer if people left the debate team to their debate club. I think it's because a lot of people got their start politics-posting on SA (or on the Internet at large) in D&D and were driven away for one reason or another (including me!) and are mad about the state of it, and think they're helping restore it by fighting some kind of Posting Wars. But the posting wars are a foreverwar, and the longer you fight them the more of a casualty you become.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

CSPAM has never told me that my actual beliefs were just me trolling so I'm a lot more willing to post in CSPAM.

That's funny, because a lot of people have told me my actual beliefs are trolling the last few days. (The guy who made the post below me, too.)

loquacious, you were a good poster when you posted in D&D (you're always welcome back! :devil:), so I'm not surprised you've taken a sensible, personable approach to posting in CSPAM; thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 26, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

30.5 Days posted:

don't forget how are u. We don't count him as a chain probe because that was just CSPAM IKs delivering the retribution he should have gotten in the #metoo thread, but he does post regularly & get made fun of.

Uh, no I don't? It was made pretty clear that I'm unwelcome in that forum, so I don't post there anymore. That's fine tho, who cares?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Over the last six months I have mostly stopped reading D&D, and instead following the CSpam versions of the 3 threads I used to read here, basically because I developed a sense that even though most threads here move a lot slower and have far less actual shitposting in them, the signal to noise ratio had gotten worse here with lots of cliquiness and infighting, and at least timewise this relates to the USPol thread breakup and more strict enforcement of what goes where.

I don't really want to wade too deep into D&D vs cspam waters; more or less I like to have somewhere to read about up to date COVID and economic takes and be at least somewhat entertained at the same time, and D&D doesn't serve this purpose as well for me. My general belief is that emotionally vulnerable posts people make in CSpam tend to get treated with more empathy than they do here, which is, uh. That's quite a statement, and I would not have made it 2-3 years ago, nor assumed it would ever be a thing I might say.

I used to post more in D&D, but even as I posted less I still lurked to stay informed about US matters. I'm quoting this post because this is almost exactly my experience as well. The D&D threads I used to lurk were slowly replaced by the CSPAM equivalent -- to this day it still seems odd that I am better informed about COVID from CSPAM than D&D.

This does not extend to the non-US threads. I usually start lurking in other countries' threads when there is a major news event or an election, and the D&D threads are still great for that -- The German thread has been the latest great read. It seems to be a US problem to me.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

Oh word people like the mods in CSPAM? :allears:

e: Sorry, snarky. The fact is I've read the succ thread (because my posts end up there sometimes!), I hate it and I think it's awful, I would never in a million years want to post there. Even if I did, it moves way too fast for me. So why do people who hate USNews and think it's awful want to post there so much?

You can cherry pick my response all you want, it just detracts from whatever point you're trying to make. The D-Day economics thread is a great discussion place that organically generating new topics and discussions that would be impossible in DnD because the lovely moderation has chased off just about anyone who can read a stock ticker without their brain overloading.

Most of the CSPAM mods are actually quite popular right now with the possible exception of crusty nutsack who seems to have taken a break for a while. For example, when thunderbeast stepped down people were very kind because he did a good job but now has more RL responsibilities.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People who prefer CSPAM to D&D, but still want to post here: what do you think D&D can do to incorporate the things you like about CSPAM while still maintaining its own identity as a distinct subforum? What should the differences between D&D and CSPAM be?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You can cherry pick my response all you want, it just detracts from whatever point you're trying to make. The D-Day economics thread is a great discussion place that organically generating new topics and discussions that would be impossible in DnD because the lovely moderation has chased off just about anyone who can read a stock ticker without their brain overloading.

Most of the CSPAM mods are actually quite popular right now with the possible exception of crusty nutsack who seems to have taken a break for a while. For example, when thunderbeast stepped down people were very kind because he did a good job but now has more RL responsibilities.

yeah people will always have issues with mods but ever since Flavius was booted C-SPAM modding has been infinitely better

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

That's funny, because a lot of people have told me my actual beliefs are trolling the last few days. (The guy who made the post below me, too.)

loquacious, you were a good poster when you posted in D&D (you're always welcome back! :devil:), so I'm not surprised you've taken a sensible, personable approach to posting in CSPAM; thanks for sharing your thoughts.

So you think I'm being insincere in my belief that d&d constantly assumes that disagreements and thinking that doesn't fit into the mainstream is insincere and actually meant to troll them instead of being a person's actual beliefs? At least it's consistent.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Missing Donut posted:

The D&D threads I used to lurk were slowly replaced by the CSPAM equivalent -- to this day it still seems odd that I am better informed about COVID from CSPAM than D&D.

This one is pretty straightforward, everyone that has actually been following the insane minutae of covid variants/etc (and been very correct on many predictions) has been called a doomer, blackpilled, etc, until they leave. Some of these people have very "extreme" reactions, to my thinking, but they're also very well informed about the facts. They left because the current Dem messaging is "covid is basically over," and the moderators probated along those lines. This is what I meant by "the rules of the forum aren't actually the ones in the sticky."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mellow Seas posted:

People who prefer CSPAM to D&D, but still want to post here: what do you think D&D can do to incorporate the things you like about CSPAM while still maintaining its own identity as a distinct subforum? What should the differences between D&D and CSPAM be?

Probate less. It won't kill the forum, it will disincentivize trying to bait people into probation, disincentivize over-reporting, and people will have to defend themselves more and petition to the mods less. That'd help a lot.

That includes my Forum Enemies. I'll be a lot less mad with them getting away with stuff if I can get away with it too.

Alternatively, go full Ozma-era SA and rule with an iron fist, but SA in 2021 probably wouldn't react well to that and it'd mostly be pointless.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 26, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean yeah, D&D fights are obviously often about personality and wanting an audience and CSPAM's big "secret" is that they're more inclusive of different thoughts and ideas. You hit the nail on the head.

Does this depend on thread though? I was going to post that the only threads I really post in in C-SPAM and pay any attention to are the canada one and the COVID one.

The canada one might as well be indistinguishable from the D&D version - I don't really check, but there's probably a huge overlap of posters, the politics are mostly the same (MAYBE you'd get slightly more poo poo on for supporting the NDP in C-SPAM, but that's a big maybe, and it's hardly totally outside the thread consensus. In both threads a liberal supporter would be mocked. CPC is right out.). Maybe the tone is a bit more shitposty, but not by that much.

The COVID thread, I just don't see any diversity of viewpoints at all. I wish the D&D one moved faster, but there's more international viewpoints, there's a range of opinions and more actual discussion. The C-SPAM covid thread on the other hand feels very echo chambery - there's exactly one viewpoint that 95% of posters and 100% of regulars have, and it's extremely US-centric.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

enki42 posted:

Does this depend on thread though? I was going to post that the only threads I really post in in C-SPAM and pay any attention to are the canada one and the COVID one.

The canada one might as well be indistinguishable from the D&D version - I don't really check, but there's probably a huge overlap of posters, the politics are mostly the same (MAYBE you'd get slightly more poo poo on for supporting the NDP in C-SPAM, but that's a big maybe, and it's hardly totally outside the thread consensus. In both threads a liberal supporter would be mocked. CPC is right out.). Maybe the tone is a bit more shitposty, but not by that much.

The COVID thread, I just don't see any diversity of viewpoints at all. I wish the D&D one moved faster, but there's more international viewpoints, there's a range of opinions and more actual discussion. The C-SPAM covid thread on the other hand feels very echo chambery - there's exactly one viewpoint that 95% of posters and 100% of regulars have, and it's extremely US-centric.

Oh totally but even in that regard cspam is more likely to just have 2 threads about the same subject with different opinions while d&d mods traditionally don't like multiple threads like that and are a lot more picky about threads existing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I do kind of feel that D&D's culture has shifted hard into Dem party loyalism as the #1 most important value. They are by no means unique in this; it's a troubling trend which has been on the rise my entire life, but it has taken hold so strongly that, for example, anyone questioning orthodoxy is assumed to be some type of insidious right-wing (or Russian) agent, or, as has been mentioned a lot already, just trolling, and that assumption has been baked into moderation policy.

I'm not advocating any particular course of action here -- D&D loves containment zones, and I'm just fine thinking of it as one itself -- but that's the root of the issue.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

I do kind of feel that D&D's culture has shifted hard into Dem party loyalism as the #1 most important value. They are by no means unique in this; it's a troubling trend which has been on the rise my entire life, but it has taken hold so strongly that, for example, anyone questioning orthodoxy is assumed to be some type of insidious right-wing (or Russian) agent, or, as has been mentioned a lot already, just trolling, and that assumption has been baked into moderation policy.

I'm not advocating any particular course of action here -- D&D loves containment zones, and I'm just fine thinking of it as one itself -- but that's the root of the issue.

You are free to post "I'm voting for Howie Hawkins" in dnd, all day long if you want. The difference is that in dnd you'll probably end up with 3 people responding with "that's a bad idea, here's why" and in cspam you'll get 14 reply of "lmao yeah gently caress the dems!"

If that's all you're looking for then just post there. If you can't handle somebody pushing back on your worldview, well, you don't need to.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How are u posted:

You are free to post "I'm voting for Howie Hawkins" in dnd, all day long if you want. The difference is that in dnd you'll probably end up with 3 people responding with "that's a bad idea, here's why" and in cspam you'll get 14 reply of "lmao yeah gently caress the dems!"

If that's all you're looking for then just post there. If you can't handle somebody pushing back on your worldview, well, you don't need to.

so it sounds like what you're saying is the main difference between the two populations is whether Dem party loyalism is the #1 most important value

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mellow Seas posted:

I used to enjoy posting in dnd until probes started getting thrown around for literally any tiny poo poo. Like half my probes are for "getting the last word" when I didn't even know the person I was arguing with got probed because it was less than a minute before and I don't f5 the page that hard and I tend to take a few minutes to write my responses. Also probing for stupid poo poo like "bad faith posting" I'll let you in on a secret - I'm always posting in good faith. I sincerely believe the things I post. I'm too boring to try to do anything different. I've lived through a ton of hosed up poo poo and it's colored my opinions.

Dnd needs to chill the gently caress out. You can't have a productive discussion about anything if you constantly have to be concerned the person you are talking with is going to get probed. You can't have a productive discussion if having a different interpretation of an opinion article will get you probed. I like both cspam and I like dnd but if dnd can't be both transparent in the rules and actually treat people even handedly I don't see a reason to come back here.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I do agree that there is no need for me to post in D&D, though, which, if you will read the post you quoted, is why I don't :) Thanks for your input!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

loquacius posted:

Should there not be a place to post where "Dem party loyalism" (which, to me, is just a pragmatic take on "how do we keep Republicans out of power as much as possible") is acceptable? Where it's not something people get attacked for, or have their opinions, observations or even outright fact-based statements treated as invalid for?

Like, some people are focused on "nobody in power is any good." Some people prefer to discuss "how do we keep the absolute worst people out of power?" Both things should be okay to talk about and I don't think people trying to discuss one should be loving with people trying to discuss the other.

To be clear (this is a common misconception), there's nobody in D&D who doesn't criticize Democrats. We just openly want them to win elections, and we get sad when they don't. I think that's okay and I think there should be a space on this website to discuss things through that framing, because it's a very common political outlook here (and probably the lens through which a lot of SA users would prefer to discuss politics, going by, say, the GBS Trump thread.)

Like, Willa complains that D&D is the "let's laugh at chuds" forum, and sometimes it is, but like, what if I want to laugh at chuds? Again, I feel like the problem is that people are taking D&D much more seriously than it deserves to be taken.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

yeah people will always have issues with mods but ever since Flavius was booted C-SPAM modding has been infinitely better
Yeah, it really is just the unjust exile of Larry that remains as a forum-wide issue, but that seems to be out of the hands of the mods at this point.

Mellow Seas posted:

People actually assuming good faith, people being disinclined to run to the mods, and pretty much no consequence for "losing" a discussion*. As Gumball Gumption said, posters in CSPAM generally just take you at your words, and since they're unlikely to run to the mods and there's no real consequence for "losing" a discussion, people can get to the point much faster and have more of a back-and forth flow to the discussion rather than trying to deliver a coup de grâce with every post.

*Your posting brand isn't destroyed by getting owned, unless that's like all you do.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

enki42 posted:

Going to chime in here since it's my thread now, but one of the reasons the D&D Covid thread has more people from different perspectives posting is because posters there (including myself) have specifically asked for it, and I've tried to ensure that people can feel comfortable posting there as much as possible without getting attacked. It hasn't been perfect, and I know some valuable posters have dipped out entirely, but overall I have had more positive feedback about it than negative. A couple of issues I've had to deal with in the last week or so were bane mask golem driving by with a tremendously misleading take about "brain damage" and StrangeThings getting a disgusting and unwarranted red text av with a picture of some kid on a ventilator because some loving moron thinks the US is an example of how Covid is going worldwide, when we're a massive outlier.

Personally I like that the thread's a little slower moving, because fast rarely equates to better quality imo, but as news breaks it does pick up as people discuss and then fades away for a bit. OP is due for an update with the new FDA booster guidelines and trimming some more content that's become less relevant, and I'll be getting to that this week. I'm sure a few people will chime in to tell me what an awful job I'm doing and how it's a travesty that x y or z poster is still allowed to post there, but you can't make everyone happy. :shrug:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

so it sounds like what you're saying is the main difference between the two populations is whether Dem party loyalism is the #1 most important value

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

enki42 posted:

Could you give some examples of the varied covid viewpoints that you see in D&D that are being suppressed in the cspam echo chamber?

Don’t need to dig up quotes or anything, but I assume you can easily get more specific if it’s that obvious of a problem.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Should there not be a place to post where "Dem party loyalism" (which, to me, is just a pragmatic take on "how do we keep Republicans out of power as much as possible") is acceptable? Where it's not something people get attacked for, or have their opinions, observations or even outright fact-based statements treated as invalid for?

Like, some people are focused on "nobody in power is any good." Some people prefer to discuss "how do we keep the absolute worst people out of power?" Both things should be okay to talk about and I don't think people trying to discuss one should be loving with people trying to discuss the other.

To be clear (this is a common misconception), there's nobody in D&D who doesn't criticize Democrats. We just openly want them to win elections, and we get sad when they don't. I think that's okay and I think there should be a space on this website to discuss things through that framing, because it's a very common political outlook here (and probably the lens through which a lot of SA users would prefer to discuss politics, going by, say, the GBS Trump thread.)

Like, Willa complains that D&D is the "let's laugh at chuds" forum, and sometimes it is, but like, what if I want to laugh at chuds? Again, I feel like the problem is that people are taking D&D much more seriously than it deserves to be taken.

That all seems fine but the label should be fixed than. Call it the laughing at chuds sub instead of d&d. Hell I think an actual debate forum is a dumb and stupid idea and we would be better off of we were just honest they there's a politics forum for the far left and a politics forum for liberals but we should actually be honest about it. If you want a place to laugh at chuds and laugh at wrong think feel free, just call it that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Fewer forum bans, for one. If someone is a consistently bad poster then just probate them when they make a bad post (which will happen soon enough if they are truly consistently making bad posts), instead of any post at all regardless of whether it's good or bad. And if they're really that lovely, well, why not just do a regular ban?

It wouldn't fix everything (it would likely just be a baby step) but as far as I can tell D&D has the most forumbans on the site? Just spitballing an idea out here.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

Again, I feel like the problem is that people are taking D&D much more seriously than it deserves to be taken.

This is why USPOL/USNews needs to be reconstituted as a chat zone (which, in your defense, you have also called for)
Because D&D is advertised as, perceived to be, and modded* like a big boy debate forum with very strict rules (if you're not on in the right posting clique)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

People actually assuming good faith, people being disinclined to run to the mods, and pretty much no consequence for "losing" a discussion*. As Gumball Gumption said, posters in CSPAM generally just take you at your words, and since they're unlikely to run to the mods and there's no real consequence for "losing" a discussion, people can get to the point much faster and have more of a back-and forth flow to the discussion rather than trying to deliver a coup de grâce with every post.

"People assuming good faith" isn't really something the moderators have control over (and I kind of reject the idea that people in CSPAM are any better than people in D&D about it, but whatever, not the point). I don't think there are consequences for "losing" a debate in D&D, either - plenty of people "lose" debates without getting probations all the time, you just have to be a good sport. So it seems like your main complaint is that the mods are too active - but if you remove the different moderation standards, what's left?

What makes D&D different from CSPAM? When people give an answer to that question which is just, "it's worse, and everybody there is stupid, and they tattle to the lunch monitors" then they should just stop posting in D&D because I'm not really seeing what they're getting out of it that they're not getting out of CSPAM, except the ability to yell at some specific posters who won't do them the favor of going into their preferred space.

Gumball Gumption posted:

That all seems fine but the label should be fixed than. Call it the laughing at chuds sub instead of d&d. Hell I think an actual debate forum is a dumb and stupid idea and we would be better off of we were just honest they there's a politics forum for the far left and a politics forum for liberals but we should actually be honest about it. If you want a place to laugh at chuds and laugh at wrong think feel free, just call it that.

It's honestly bizarre to me that anybody cares about the forum names at all; yes, change them, because I don't think anybody gives a poo poo. People want to have the kinds of discussions they want to have. I got my SA account for the political cartoons thread, which is pretty much explicitly a "laugh at chuds" thread, even though it's in "Debate and Discussion". If people are that hung up on the name, it's easier to change the name than create, I dunno, the only? functional, amicable debate space on the entire internet.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 26, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Doctor Jeep posted:

and you were in the wrong back then as well
now you can go back to sifting through some fat brit's google maps "analysis" of a mosque

nope, we were right and it was a forumwide opinion that he was a loving ghoul. again its people like you that want to denounce anything bad about china as fake. China is doing the same thing the US did to the native americans, and Canadians did to the first nation population. Its genocide

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

UCS Hellmaker posted:

nope, we were right and it was a forumwide opinion that he was a loving ghoul. again its people like you that want to denounce anything bad about china as fake. China is doing the same thing the US did to the native americans, and Canadians did to the first nation population. Its genocide

China is not mass-murdering anyone.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

My favorite is the Marxism thread, which flips seamlessly between friendly and funny shitposting and legitimately insightful analyses and discussions by some incredibly smart and well-read posters

idk. CSPAM always strikes me as boring catty white noise, even if its political consensus is generally closer to my own. that's not a CSPAM problem; i'm not gonna barge in an demand that they all post to my taste. I think there's a place for both forums, not because liberals and leftists can't coexist, but because it's fine to have different standards of "interesting" and "informative" if there are enough posters to sustain two communities. CSPAM's fine, it's just not to my taste.

Also, WRT to your second point, I'm not really sure how to reconcile my feeling that genocide deniers should get thrown out on their rear end and my own belief that American immigration policy is morally equivalent. I've said my thoughts here:

Cease to Hope posted:

what's happening now, on the US/mexico border and in palestine and nauru and xinjiang, this is what the mass killing looks like. it can certainly be worse and there's no way to predict if or when that will happen i think, but the current status quo is stable. it's the same model as residential schools and ghettos. designate people as incapable or irregular or illegal, then "administer" them with a degree of calculated disregard for their safety to "deter" them. since the goal is just to make them go away, you don't need mass killing. all you need is just piecemeal, nominally unsanctioned abuse and the occasional reprisal against "criminals" who revolt against this status quo. "we're trying our best to help these people" serves as political cover, and "at least we're not rounding them all up and executing them" changes the subject to the Dangerous Foreigners who do/did that and serves an implicit threat against anyone who would revolt.

people like thatfatkid, who have consistently insisted that it's not happening and if it is it's not a problem, are obviously beyond the pale regardless of the specific locale. and you usually get banned in D&D or elsewhere if you try that apologia about american immigration, too. (you can get away with it in TFR though, lol.) but there's a range of apologia, and obvious different standards for each of those examples that seem to me to be different heads of the same hydra.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 26, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm 100% in favor of rebranding dnd as politics chat, because man some people seem to get so incredibly worked up at the idea that it's a "big boy debate zone" and cannot seem to let go of it.

It's always been chatting with a modicum of effort, and less whitenoise posting. There is no Winner Of The Debate.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's not just uspol where dnd takes itself too seriously. For a recentish example in the metoo thread, there was a bit of a lull in discussions, Cosby got brought up, people threw out some one liners and disgust at the justice system for allowing him to get out of jail and multiple people ended up probed over it.

Like what the gently caress. How can you tell a bunch of survivors that they can't just be mad at the system for a few posts to let off steam?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

How about a "laugh at chuds" thread then?

I just don't see the utility in posting about conservative randos bc (1) in a country of 300 million there are a lot of assholes, and there's always going to be someone somewhere doing dumb poo poo; and (2) it's not news that someone somewhere is doing dumb poo poo in a country of 300 million.

Meanwhile, there's a ton of poo poo happening that's going to affect people in ways more important to 300 million of them than Dumbass Says or Does a Thing.

I mean, it's obvious why Dem party functionaries want to concentrate on that instead of meeting voters' needs. But it's not news that impacts people in any sense of the word, and it's used as a distraction for news that does impact people.

eta:

quote:

People in usnews have claimed that others pointing out news that's less than celebratory toward Dems is trolling, toxic, a schtick, depresses Dem turnout, helps the GOP, reveals one as a Trump voter, and causes posters extreme mental distress.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 26, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Another good way to post political opinions without anyone having the ability to comment about them is to not do it in public. That is also a suggestion if having people see your opinions and also have opinions is tough. A text message chain or discord is useful if you just want to yuck it up with a couple of close friends who agree with you.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

People in usnews have claimed that others pointing out news that's less than celebratory toward Dems is trolling, toxic, a schtick, depresses Dem turnout, helps the GOP, reveals one as a Trump voter, and causes posters extreme mental distress.

OK, well, gently caress 'em? Who cares? Literally almost everything you post in USNews is "less than celebratory towards Dems," you post in that thread a lot more than I do, and you get less probations than I do. Where's the problem?