Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there much of a markup on used bikes right now?

Thinking of selling my road bike because I never ride outside (2 young kids, no free time, lovely area to ride). I was using a trainer with Zwift but my wife got a peloton and I’ve just been using that-the thirty minute workouts are fine for me. I’ll probably sell my H1 hammer trainer as well.

It’s a caad12 rim brake with 105, cannondale spiderings, and some Ultegra wheels with PowerTap p1 pedals.

I was going to hold on to it until I move, but I know im eventually going to upgrade to a disc brake carbon fiber bike, so I figured I might as well sell now and take advantage of any markups in the used market if they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

Ebikes are a great solution for living on big hills. If that’s the only part of the ride you would need much assistance on you could get something fairly lightweight (for an ebike) and short range.

I live on a giant hill and used an ebike to commute for a long time, I would use the lowest assistance mode the entire ride until I got to my hill and then I would crank it and blast up it.

That is a good point about e-bikes. It would eliminate my hill problem. I think just the initial cost of a decent one just really put me off.

I think I’ll just bite the bullet and haul whatever bike I end up with to where it’s fun to ride. If anything it’ll get me off my couch and out of the house longer. As well as seeing some places I normally wouldn’t go to if I were strictly using it for transportation. Maybe I’ll look into a mtn bike since there are some trails just a couple minutes from downtown here. I guess in the end I just want to ride bikes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Thanks bike thread.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Thinking of selling my road bike because I never ride outside (2 young kids, no free time, lovely area to ride). I was using a trainer with Zwift but my wife got a peloton and I’ve just been using that-the thirty minute workouts are fine for me. I’ll probably sell my H1 hammer trainer as well.

It’s a caad12 rim brake with 105, cannondale spiderings, and some Ultegra wheels with PowerTap p1 pedals.

I was going to hold on to it until I move, but I know im eventually going to upgrade to a disc brake carbon fiber bike, so I figured I might as well sell now and take advantage of any markups in the used market if they exist.

Prices are still inflated, but at least locally to me they’re starting to come back to reality. Some of this is that the folks taking up cycling during the COVID lockdowns have gotten their hands on a bike already and some of it is seasonality. I’m not sure where you’re at but a rim brake road bike is a tougher sell in the winter here unless you find a buyer who wants to use it for Zwift like you were.

If you’re debating now vs. later I’d still try to sell it now, it’ll never appreciate in value

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Bike thread. I’ve been looking at getting into cycling after a recent trip to Detroit and riding e-bikes around the city and having loving blast doing it. Currently I have two old road bikes my grandfather gave me.

Post pics:)

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Sorry for the potato pics.

The Peugeot still needs to go somewhere to get fixed up to be rideable.

But he got these when he was living in Switzerland and brought them back with him.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Angryhead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMx_JooERQ

Lachlan Morton taking on the Alt Tour, great stuff.

Lol I loved this, the mission for flat pedals and sandals was gangster as gently caress.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Sorry for the potato pics.

The Peugeot still needs to go somewhere to get fixed up to be rideable.

But he got these when he was living in Switzerland and brought them back with him.

Holy poo poo that Masi looks incredible. Please take more pictures and post them in the show us your bike thread!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

lol

lmao

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

e.pilot posted:

lol

lmao

:allears:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

lol

lmao

?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Pretty fun ride today. Only 20 miles, but the temperature was right on the edge of too cool (it barely got up to 60° F/16° C) for my kit. I'm going to have to take back a couple decades of poo poo-talk about cycling kits, because man did that make a noticeable difference. Definitely have to say it's worth the money I would have had to have paid had I not had a bunch of reasons to conjugate the verb "to have" in as many tenses as possible Amazon Bux laying around.

Thanks to Lord of the Pants for suggesting this brand. They had a matching jersey, and my wife loves me in blue, so it wasn't hard to pick out the color. Also, they were inexpensive, which is always nice.

The fun part was 10 miles in, when I saw a pair of portable signs indicating that the TRAIL was CLOSED due to MEN WORKING. In the nearby parking lot, a couple guys were loading up heavy mowing and cutting equipment, so I figured they were done and went on ahead. A couple miles later, I saw the reason the trail was (apparently still) closed: there was a truck on the trail, and a guy was laying down tar snakes. I'd never seen that done before. It was kind-of neat to see how that was done. What was less neat was riding on the rough grass for the next mile to avoid loving up a bunch of tar snakes and getting that poo poo all over me and my bike. But, that's on me for being a trail scofflaw. Thankfully, my fitness hybrid is perfectly capable of handling going a few inches off the trail; it was bumpy, but it didn't slow me down much.

And the rest of my Amazon Bux threads are just plain exercise clothes, so no more fashion show.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sun's out
guns out
nips out

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

nwin posted:

Gonna depend on your local market but as others have noted, it’s the wrong time of year for most folks. And, anecdotally, the availability of new bikes does seem to be improving.

With that said, Cannondale CAAD frames do tend to hold their value well, especially with a decent spec like yours. I sold my 2013 rim brake CAAD 10 for close to its MSRP earlier in the summer. It’d been upgraded but I took the approach of “ask a stupid price and see what happens.”

I’d clean it up, take some nice photos and see what happens.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

nwin posted:

I’d keep it, especially if it’s your only bike. Prices aren’t that inflated.

Unless you’re really strapped for cash, it’s a nice bike that you can use as a spare forever no matter how nice your future purchase is.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

sun's out
guns out
nips out

Hey, there are some dark tunnels on that route. You gotta have your high beams on.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

should i get the redesigned disc trucker with 26" wheels? my LHT was stolen last year and I'm finally ready to ride again

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah why not

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

:krad:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

A MIRACLE posted:

should i get the redesigned disc trucker with 26" wheels? my LHT was stolen last year and I'm finally ready to ride again

Are you considering between the LHT wheel sizes? Or other touring bikes?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

kimbo305 posted:

Are you considering between the LHT wheel sizes? Or other touring bikes?

I'd assumed all LHTs used 26" since they always look like their legs are too short for their drat bodies.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The rim brake model has both frame variants, but I guess the disc model is unified

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I had the 56cm 26" one last time, was looking to move down a size to 54, I had a 54 cross check back in the day that fit me a lot better. The 54 only does 26" pretty sure any way.

Riding is 99% pavement / city commuting in LA though. I know the LHT is overkill for that but I liked my last one a lot and put thousands of miles on it. Just not sure what else is out there

I realized I'm getting real fat since my bike was stolen so I'm probably gonna buy something tomorrow :guinness:

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 27, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

how long did you have the trucker? There are a fuckton of big-tire relaxed-geometry road bikes now. Go ride a gravel bike if you haven't already. 26" really limits your tire selection

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How badly does it limit selection? I picked one company, maxxis, basically at random and they have six different models of 26" tires for dirt/gravel.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it's worse if you want slicks, and I don't know of any 26" tubeless slicks

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

For road (sine that's what he'll ride) the selection is ok.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

How badly does it limit selection? I picked one company, maxxis, basically at random and they have six different models of 26" tires for dirt/gravel.
Cool, now to just filter by "available somewhere" and "tubeless compatible". lets see what we get.....

I love the 26" platform, but the tire situation is dire if you need a good tire right away.

e: I'm not sure why that gravel king showed up. The drop down shows all the warehouses at 0.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 28, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Tubeless seems cool I guess, never had a bike with tubeless before. Unless motorcycles count lol

My wife has a 26” wheel LHT too so there would be some parts compatibility if I got another 26”. I’m just gonna get it the green is sweet

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

it's worse if you want slicks, and I don't know of any 26" tubeless slicks

Rene Herse has some

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Oh poo poo bti has 26 gravel kings in stock? (e i don't know why i typed bti when that is jbi) I keep meaning to do some work to my commuter that's an old gt mtb. I have a shifter and derailleur and cassette to make it 1x10 and some new handlebars and stuff that I need to get around to installing.

But yeah decent tire availability in that size is bad.

Also surlys are very hard to come by right now. I'd browse some shops and see what they have. If you can find something similar that works and in your size and in stock, get it.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 28, 2021

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Some people talk about tubeless as if a bike/wheels aren't worth having if you can't run tubeless. Those people are wrong. Is tubeless good? Yes. Is it essential? Nah. Without making tubeless a must-have there's a decent amount of good 26" tires out there (Bike Tires Direct in particular has a reasonable selection in stock) and if you can't run them tubeless it won't make your bike unrideable for the overwhelming majority of conditions (especially with a LHT). If that's the bike you really want 26" tires are not a reason not to get it. 26" tires are not a reason to buy a bike, either, but if that's what you like don't let it stop you.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

jamal posted:

Oh poo poo bti has 26 gravel kings in stock?
No, but QBP has some. Now if they could just get some 7 speed freewheels and 8 speed cassettes in stock.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve bought a late 90s Stumpy frame, how should I build it up? Wrong answers only, please

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’ve bought a late 90s Stumpy frame, how should I build it up? Wrong answers only, please

Nicest air fork you can get for that steerer tube, 27.5/26 disc/rim brake mini mullet, 12sp groupset, Hite-Rite, 800mm bars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If it won't look this good, just throw the frame through the window of your local co-op.

https://www.thespoken.cc/f-moser-motard

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Install a 1000w mid drive ebike conversion kit you bought off Aliexpress. Take a hammer to the chainstay because the cog on the drive unit can't clear it.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

EvilJoven posted:

Install a 1000w mid drive ebike conversion kit you bought off Aliexpress. Take a hammer to the chainstay because the cog on the drive unit can't clear it.

I'm so sorry for the dark knowledge you have to love with

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Calm down, Satan

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Bud Manstrong posted:

Nicest air fork you can get for that steerer tube, 27.5/26 disc/rim brake mini mullet, 12sp groupset, Hite-Rite, 800mm bars.

he said wrongest answers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I'm shopping around for a gravel bike to replace my stolen one. I've only ever had rim-brake road bikes (have discs on my MTBs), so am excited to get into disc brake zone. My question is: How much of a compromise is it to run mechanical discs / mech/hydro hybrid discs vs full hydraulic). I live in an area with very little rain and no snow, so foul-weather braking isn't an issue for me. If I cut into the budget for the gravel bike, I can spend more on the fancy carbon road bike that I also have to (get to!) replace...