Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you don’t die you never have to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s also a power you get that lets you teleport directly to the boss if you remember to use it

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Okay so I've played a lot more and I got to HK after a decent amount of time. haven't beaten it yet, just gonna gently caress around for a while and pick up some stuff i missed and figure out where i'm supposed to take some of these things, and then maybe do the DLC? i've started experimenting with some more charms, I really like weaversong/grubsong, it's a very funny combination and I need more notch charms to really take advantage of it but I generally enjoy minion builds like this.

i feel like i've just now beaten the tutorial, honestly, and i think if i ever make a new game and start over i'll get through things a lot faster. this seems like a fun speedrun game, i think the movement tech is pretty insane but there's some cool stuff in it. i do think that if i ever tried i'd get absolutely hosed by bosses, i think speed kills on them would be extremely difficult and would really suck

good game though, enjoying it very much

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hey I beat the thing after like forty hours

I bounced off the last boss pretty hard but went back after a couple days off and beat it pretty quickly. Like a lot of bosses I had issues with I was mostly panicking and moving too much when I should have been waiting around and dodging attacks until I got the perfect placement to deal a ton of damage with the upwards magic attack and some upward slashes

Really cool game. Idk if I'm gonna do the boss rush stuff, that's never been my favorite part of these games, I love exploration a lot more.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I bounced off the last boss pretty hard but went back after a couple days off and beat it pretty quickly. Like a lot of bosses I had issues with I was mostly panicking and moving too much when I should have been waiting around and dodging attacks until I got the perfect placement to deal a ton of damage with the upwards magic attack and some upward slashes

by this description i assume you mean the "true" "last" boss? aka radiance

i totally get not wanting to do the godhome stuff but did you happen upon the grimm troupe stuff? largely about two boss fights with little exploration but the fights are really good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i think anyone who finishes the game should give Godhome a try. not that they should necessarily set their heart on completing it -- in fact, quite the opposite, the reason i suggest it is that the pantheons are really cleverly designed to escalate in a way that covers a broad range of comfort levels

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea after i beat the game I was like “ehh I’ll give Godhome a try but I’m not gonna waste more than an hour or two on it.”

Cut to me finishing all but the last Pantheon. What a perfectly designed game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RCarr posted:

Yea after i beat the game I was like “ehh I’ll give Godhome a try but I’m not gonna waste more than an hour or two on it.”

HollowKnight.txt

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i stopped after the first or second pantheon and felt like i was satisfied there. then like a year+ later i came back to do all of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I finally beat the mantis Lords. It's cool that they are my friends now.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

RCarr posted:

First playthrough I finished only THK. Came back a month or so later and did true ending + NKG (+fool and flower quest) but couldn't get past Sly to save my life. Second playthrough a couple years later I got up through PV, then third playthrough did 16 bindings and platinumed the game. Agreed, game good.

Cojawfee posted:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

It's such a great moment! I had fun figuring out the fight and it was just hard enough, for me, that it was a challenge without being frustrating!
:allears:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh hey we do have a Hollow Knight thread.

Beat it for the first time two weeks ago. Like three times (for the three non Godhome endings). Game is fun and good and I enjoy how much you can explore and still not find everything.

I did the first two pantheons just fine, but I keep failing at Zote on the third one, which is very rude.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
If anyone's looking to scratch the Hollow Knight itch while waiting for Silksong, I started Grime and it's closest than anything else I've played. It's got that same kind of melancholic vibe and looks gorgeous. Plays similarly too, and one of the early bosses is basically "What if the Mantis Lords were Wizards?"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
What I'd really like is a game with Hollow Knight style combat and controls, but not a Metroidvania. Just straight A-B here is hard poo poo, kill bosses have fun.

I know I'm describing Mega Man X but still.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
For that I would recommend the NES classic DuckTales.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Natural 20 posted:

What I'd really like is a game with Hollow Knight style combat and controls, but not a Metroidvania. Just straight A-B here is hard poo poo, kill bosses have fun.

Maybe check out 30XX

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cojawfee posted:

It's not like insanely challenging to pull off but nailing both jump/backstabs when they both do the charge attack in a row feels so good

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

You should play Shovel Knight

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's not like insanely challenging to pull off but nailing both jump/backstabs when they both do the charge attack in a row feels so good

I felt really cool when doing that. I'm feeling a lot better about this attempt at the game. The first time I played, I treated the game like a beat em up. It was so frustrating because I was just mashing attack on bosses instead of learning the patterns. Mantis Lords was the first fight I've done where I actually learned the patterns and waited to attack until I knew the pattern was safe, and it was really satisfying once I figured it all out. And then I went straight to the miniboss above cornifer in city of tears and it feels random with those ghost dudes, and got frustrated immediately.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Soul Master was really fun to beat the hell out of once you got his patterns down

The one boss that stonewalled me where I simply couldn't figure out how to deal damage was hornet 2, I finally beat it really cheaply by getting the extended invul frame charm and just facetanking with Quick Slash.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Cojawfee posted:

I felt really cool when doing that. I'm feeling a lot better about this attempt at the game. The first time I played, I treated the game like a beat em up. It was so frustrating because I was just mashing attack on bosses instead of learning the patterns. Mantis Lords was the first fight I've done where I actually learned the patterns and waited to attack until I knew the pattern was safe, and it was really satisfying once I figured it all out. And then I went straight to the miniboss above cornifer in city of tears and it feels random with those ghost dudes, and got frustrated immediately.

This is funny to me because I actually got stomped by Mantis Lords, gave up, found the City of Tears, and beat up the Soul Master instead.

Hollow Knight really is an astonishingly open game after the beginning; most people I’ve talked to have very different routes they took through it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't even find Mantis Lords until way late. I found the claw and left and didn't go back until I had a double upgraded nail and a lot more health and spirit.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

nrook posted:

Hollow Knight really is an astonishingly open game after the beginning

It is. I found the watcher knights way too early.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

watcher knights are gated by double jump..... except you can do a fairly easy pogo off a background object to get up there without it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

b_d posted:

watcher knights are gated by double jump..... except you can do a fairly easy pogo off a background object to get up there without it.

I used that trick to get the speedrun achievements, it saves a *ton* of time

Speaking of, if you've beaten the game the speedrun achievements are pretty easy to get and are a fun and different way to play the game. There are interactive maps you can use to plot your route and then it's just a matter of sticking to it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

b_d posted:

yes but you haven't necessarily found the blacksmith at that point, have you?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

on the plus side, most of the later bosses will have less health because they scale with your nail strength. which doesn't help if you nail them to death but helps a lot if you use a lot of spells!!!

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Natural 20 posted:

I wouldn't say it has hollow knight controls exactly, but if you love mega man X then do this immediately:

Arrhythmia posted:

You should play Shovel Knight

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

b_d posted:

on the plus side, most of the later bosses will have less health because they scale with your nail strength. which doesn't help if you nail them to death but helps a lot if you use a lot of spells!!!

That's just the dream warriors as far as I'm aware. Spell builds are still extremely strong for most bosses though.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

im double checking and outside the dream warriors it's kind of arbitrary. enraged guardian scales. troupe master grimm scales but NKG does not. hive knight does. watcher knights scale but uumuu does not. dung defender scales; white defender doesn't.

i was going to say it's mostly side bosses that aren't on the critical path, but then watcher knights and dung defender. who knows.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Huh, I had no idea this game had damage scaling at all.

I would like a charm/Silksong charm equivalent that let me track enemy health

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
watcher knights can be delayed an extremely long time, my first playthrough i got frustrated with the whole city area and put it off as long as possible which as it turns out is actually quite significant. that might be why they scale / scale more aggressively

i don't like damage scaling but without it the incredible freedom the game gives you to explore out of order would result in some challenges being incredibly hard or easy and effectively enforcing an optimal order on you after all. you could of course also solve this problem by simply not having scaling damage or nail upgrades on the player's side, but people like it when number goes up (plus it serves as an incentive and reward for certain other challenges, so you couldn't just rip it out and change nothing else)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 27, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it's not just number goes up; being able to kill early enemies in two hits instead of three, or one hit instead of two, is extremely ftw

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean it's not like the game stops you from fighting the Brooding Mawlek first thing (ask me how that turned out). I'm not sure if damage scaling is really necessary, but eh.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh interesting! Most of my game knowledge comes from watching a ton of randomiser bingo races and some other speedruns and I've only ever heard them talk about doing the dream warriors early before getting nail upgrades to avoid scaling, not other bosses.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
you still have to do false knight before mawlek since you need fireball, though. i think? unless there's a skip

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

no, you don't need fireball, you just need to pogo up some spikes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, I knew enough about the game to know you can pogo up spikes.

Honestly I thought it was the intended way to get there, it honestly seems easier than mantis clawing in between spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh i was confusing mawlek's entrance iwth greenpath's, nevermind

also i think you can technically avoid false knight too, there's a breakable wall in his arena