Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I was all for bringing back rationing until I found out that you still had to pay for stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Talking about Peter Wright has made me go back and reread Spy Catcher and I'd forgotten what a (frequently unintentionally) fun book it is.

quote:

The FBI offices always reminded me of sanitary clinics. Antiseptic white tiles shone everywhere. Workmen were always busy, constantly repainting, cleaning, and polishing. The obsession with hygiene reeked of an unclean mind.

quote:

We installed a former wartime MI5 officer, Cyril Mills, the famous circus owner, in [a house opposite the Russian Embassy used for surveillance] as a tenant. Mills operated his circus business from the house for many years, and every time we needed to deliver staff or equipment to the house, or remove debris from the tunnel, we used a garishly painted Mills Circus van.

quote:

Much to Angleton's annoyance, he discovered he had locked his keys inside, but I produced Leslie Jagger's lockpicking wire from my pocket and within half a minute had the door open.

Angleton is the true star of the book, James Jesus Angleton, a man who was equal parts Le Carre, Fallout, and fevered 90s shortwave radio show and the double-act of this chain-smoking alcoholic Kill Em All And Let American Jesus Sort Them Out CIA man and the nerdy radio spod Wright would make an *amazing* project for Armando Iannuci if he ever cures his brainworms.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s the Poppies that really set it off

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

... :(

https://twitter.com/Wulf_Helm/status/1452924207197822981

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1453045448575422468

:rip:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Thank goodness brexit saved the fishing industry

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1452940818860367872

I wonder who paid her to say this? She normally only speaks out when paid to by PR companies such as Tendo Consulting (Danny Alexander's old Downing Street team), where she was the voice for their first campaign, The Gurkhas, and was the main voice for their EndOurPain medicinal cannabis PR theatre.

Putting aside the whole "rich white person demanding that everybody else suffers" thing for a moment, she's probably right.

There are enough people in the UK in poverty that for a large portion of the population, wartime-style rationing would lead to an increase in quality of diet, plus climate change is absolutely the scale of problem that going to a "wartime" footing in terms of dedicating like 25-40% of the economy to fixing it is appropriate - anything less won't do it.

Edit: Though yeah, rationing as part of a much larger scheme could be a good thing in some respects, not just to solve climate change on its own, we need to retool the whole economy.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 26, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean it's technically true that they're advising her to rest. She's not capable of doing anything else (because she is dead).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
she should just go online now anyway

stick her on onlyfans imo

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So shes definitely got Covid then?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Visions of them never actually announcing that the Queen is dead because they realise support for the monarchy will plummet once Chuck takes over, so she's going to end up like the Emperor from Warhammer 40K, reigning while stuck on a throne for all eternity.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Payndz posted:

Visions of them never actually announcing that the Queen is dead because they realise support for the monarchy will plummet once Chuck takes over, so she's going to end up like the Emperor from Warhammer 40K, reigning while stuck on a throne for all eternity.

They're waiting to be able to decant Sister Dawn and Sister Day versions of her.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crispix posted:

she should just go online now anyway

stick her on onlyfans imo

Nah she'd be big on Twitch until she got her partner status revoked for having a heated monarch moment on stream.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Once the Queen dies MI6 immediately starts operation 'oops Charles died also, in a helicopter crash, William was flying he also died.' The throne can then pass directly to the unsullied George.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I guess if you say the queen's dead everyday, one day you will be right.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Putting aside the whole "rich white person demanding that everybody else suffers" thing for a moment, she's probably right.

There are enough people in the UK in poverty that for a large portion of the population, wartime-style rationing would lead to an increase in quality of diet, plus climate change is absolutely the scale of problem that going to a "wartime" footing in terms of dedicating like 25-40% of the economy to fixing it is appropriate - anything less won't do it.

Edit: Though yeah, rationing as part of a much larger scheme could be a good thing in some respects, not just to solve climate change on its own, we need to retool the whole economy.

WW2 and after rations remain the healthiest diet anyone has ever eaten in the British Isles. Low fat, high fibre, much higher proportion of seafood in the limited amount of protein that was available - it was so healthy that life expectancy actually *increased* in London despite, you know, the bombs and stuff.

It does look like torture though - for a week you got around 200g each of:

- bacon or ham
- other meat
- cheese
- butter
- sugar
- tea

You also got 1 egg (or 12 powdered), and could swap the meat rations for more eggs or cheese if you were a vegetarian.

Now some of you are probably thinking that that looks like an okay breakfast but like I say that was your ration for the *week*. Luckily many items were off-ration - all vegetables (although good luck getting your hands on anything other than potatoes or turnips), sausages (which were so full of breadcrumbs as filler that you could probably legally sell them as vegetarian), offal (if you could get it, most butchers would just turn it into sausages), almost all seafood but because fishing in the North Atlantic was not the safest of things it was mostly stuff from South Africa, in particular the Snoek, which is apparently quite tasty but by the time it had been processed, tinned, and shipped up from Cape Town it was described as tasting like newspaper that had once been used to wrap tuna.

Bread was also not rationed, but the only bread legally available was the British Loaf. This was a wholemeal loaf (because refining wheat into white flour was a waste of fuel and because brown bread is more filling than white), but which was deliberately over-enriched with calcium, originally to supplement the meagre amounts people were getting from heavily-rationed milk, but eventually just as a filler and to stop it being *too* tasty. Bakers were also forbidden from selling it fresh, again to stop people eating it too quickly. The amount of filler allowed grew and the size of the loaf constantly shrunk through the war too - my dad had a lifetime aversion to brown bread as a result, describing what they sold in London during and after the war as being basically like blu-tac in colour and texture, but somehow having no actual flavour.

Finally you could get between 2 and 6 tins of food depending on exactly what food it was, and this is where the British love affair with the baked bean really got consumated, because baked beans were the cheapest thing you could get on the coupons *and* - given all the above - easily the tastiest option available to you.

So you've got a population of people eating brown bread, potatoes, beans, and the occasional bit of offal as a treat. There's a *reason* why they designed air raid shelters to have a completely separate exhaust system for the bogs.

(I did actually spend a week on the rations to help my niece with a project about WW2 and it's actually pretty tolerable, just extremely boring if you exclude the time you can spend learning to fart the national anthem)

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 26, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Jim Henson's Workshop gets a call from the Palace - "We've got a very special job for you, and you have less than two months to complete it".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Honestly if they tried to block announcement of the Queen's death by more than a few hours tops Charles would be on the phone to the journalists faster than he can say "the Queen is dead, long live the King."

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Blocking the announcement isn't something they can really do anyway, it's not just the UK who gets notified so it will get out after someone in one of the Commonwealth nations gets told to whip out the Charles portraits

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
lol imagine living in a country where charles is king.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Just heard from Cheeks that the queen's not doing great, probs gonna be some news on that in the next few weeks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chuka Umana posted:

lol imagine living in a country where charles is king.

Be interesting to see if all the rumours about him wanting to remove the monarchy's constitutional powers are correct anyway.

Extra lol if Boris end up being the PM who turns us into a republic, although not when he then gets himself elected president for life.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I wonder if the queen can leave the country to Germany in her will, like the King of Pergamum left his kingdom to Rome

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

WhatEvil posted:

She's right but the way she's putting it is exactly how you'd do it if you wanted to scare everyone off the idea at a time when lots of people are at the end of their tether

Because you knew wartime rationing would one day end, where as this is permanent. I guess credit to her for not saying 'Wartime rationing, but worse'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Extra lol if Boris end up being the PM who turns us into a republic, although not when he then gets himself elected president for life.
It's going to be Lord President Rees-Mogg because that's the easiest most :effort: way to scrap the whole thing and let Johnson keep all his lack of responsibilities.

Which is still arguably better than King Charles the Georgth and his failineage forever.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Some environmental destruction is necessary to give everyone an equal and humane standard of living.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What has been the environmental impact of next to nobody going on an airplane for the last year? Like is there a graph that shows that quick detox has bought us a year or a mm of ocean or whatever? Maybe, if so, we should do that, no planes or meat every 5 years. Probably how most of these religious rules got started.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nenonen posted:

Do British tv license inspectors use the same rules as vampires? Just checking for my new horror novel...

Some of the licencing rules are bizarre.
Eg if you are babysitting and the home owners don't have a licence you, the babysitter, can apparently get done for watching an unlicensed tv.

Rationing:

1940s cookbook for anyone interested in trying: https://the1940sexperiment.com/100-wartime-recipes/

Crankit posted:

Just heard from Cheeks that the queen's not doing great, probs gonna be some news on that in the next few weeks.

Who or what is Cheeks?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 26, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Friends with Gibbo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
West Belfast is a bit of a to do.
Do they use all their fireworks to scare the ghosties at Halloween.
Or save it up for the big ghostie when she pops her clogs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Friendship ended with Gibbo due to lies about are Queen. Burnsy is my best friend now.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

West Belfast is a bit of a to do.
Do they use all their fireworks to scare the ghosties at Halloween.
Or save it up for the big ghostie when she pops her clogs.

Halloween Ghosties please, monarchies are always transient in the long term.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1452999701163397137?t=iniJHRRLK9oktUw-mZ1eog&s=19

Plumbing new depths. If you're wondering, no he's never even hinted at this before and has stuck to the 'no one saw it coming' line about his wife in the past.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What has been the environmental impact of next to nobody going on an airplane for the last year? Like is there a graph that shows that quick detox has bought us a year or a mm of ocean or whatever? Maybe, if so, we should do that, no planes or meat every 5 years. Probably how most of these religious rules got started.

Basically nothing, because flying is less than 1% of global emissions. There was some air quality benefits in urban centres, especially heavily polluted ones like New Delhi and Jakarta, but that was only while measures meant there was a huge drop in traffic. I'll edit in the paper when I find it.

EDIT: Here's the prese release from the Met Office with a link to their paper on this question.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/news/2021/how-did-covid-19-lockdowns-affect-the-climate

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 26, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can the cat operate the taps?

One of my cats once turned the gas on on the stove and we came back from work to a flat full of gas

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1453048925968027651

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lobster God posted:

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1452999701163397137?t=iniJHRRLK9oktUw-mZ1eog&s=19

Plumbing new depths. If you're wondering, no he's never even hinted at this before and has stuck to the 'no one saw it coming' line about his wife in the past.

Its hella suspicious though, he's getting done for something that others have gotten away with, or worse things have happened and nothing done.
Raab gave PPE contracts to his wine shop mate, nothing was done.
They prob want him out of his seat as its triggering a recall.

FFS I didn't know that fucker Kyle was back in media.
Can harass poor as poo poo people to commit suicide, but softball Boss Nass Gammons.
gently caress off.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 26, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A council worker sacked for anti-semitism has won his job back...
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/oct/26/council-worker-sacked-for-comments-about-zionism-wins-back-job

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

That's a hell of a precedent to set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001