Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

indigi posted:

just for fun let’s say the emissions from all transportation (14%), half of electricity and heat generation (12.5%), half of buildings (3%), and half of industry (10.5%) are only in service to cars and car infrastructure.

you still don’t delete “most” emissions by snapping away cars

40% is less than "half," which means that's it's not worth doing. me brain big

doctor: would you like me to snap away 40% of your health problems?
me: that's not "most"... no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Losing my mind here. Every time a popular business opens near our busy downtown, people complain because "it's going to generate traffic."

OK, to repeat that: People don't want convenient grocery stores and good restaurants because they imagine they will slow down their driving. They don't see this as a car problem. They see having too many good things in an area as a bad thing. They want amenities spread out across town to "keep traffic down." Sprawl, the very thing that drives traffic. This is why people are upset that there's going to be a grocery store within walking distance of thousands of people who would otherwise have to drive across town. gently caress

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

suburban brain poisoning

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
gently caress all this rain. maybe I should check out a podbike.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNrnwTvNJSQ

welcome to lead town

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Air travel by the ultra wealthy is pretty gross, especially the tower hopping that goes on in cities by helicopter. Put helipads on enough skyscrapers and they'll never have to witness the problems on the ground. That's basically how Kobe died.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

helicopters are the best. I love helicopters. spinny death machines for the ultra wealthy.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
As the dome says, helicopters are the most effective green technology to date

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/trapcook/status/1452762239446835204?s=20

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how does he think people drove to a cabin before these monstrosities existed 20+ years ago

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
big trucks are just minivans for guys with male fragility

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

as we all know nobody had ever driven to lake tahoe before 2007

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I goad my coworkers about this all the time, they just shrug and tell me these trucks have sensors everywhere that beep at you if you're about to annihilate an entire family

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
jeeps then:

jeeps now:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

seems like a simple solution to make everyone happy would be to mandate you can only drive trucks like that where they're "necessary" (ie Tahoe) and as soon as you try to enter city limits it gets impounded

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or crushed by a loving building being dropped on it

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dolphin posted:

or crushed by a loving building being dropped on it

if you try driving into an urban or suburban area, your doors lock and seal and then everything inside the truck is incinerated

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

if you try driving into an urban or suburban area, your doors lock and seal and then everything inside the truck is incinerated

this but the truck is also incinerated

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

cities should start making streets and parking spaces too small for those things. it's already a pain in the rear end to drive one around town. make it worse.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lobster shirt posted:

this but the truck is also incinerated

the truck will be ceremonially crushed into a tiny metal cube in front of cheering crowds

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

the truck will be ceremonially crushed into a tiny metal cube in front of cheering crowds
i suppose poetic justice would involve it being lined up in a row of similar vehicles at the base of a ramp at a monster truck rally

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

should require a CDL at the minimum to drive one of those trucks, we'll see how many people really need them for "work"

i see scrappers make it by perfectly fine in the oldest piece of poo poo pickup they can keep running and they actually provide a useful service unlike tahoe cabin owners

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
scrappers are beasts. one time a friend of mine was renovating his bathroom and removed the old 400 pound cast iron bathtub and left it on the street for scrappers. took 3 guys to move it. then this guy drove up, got out of his van with a wheelchair, put himself on the ground next to the thing and single handedly wrenched it into the back of his van, then got back in the wheelchair and drove off

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Fitzy Fitz posted:

cities should start making streets and parking spaces too small for those things. it's already a pain in the rear end to drive one around town. make it worse.

i used to work in a building that had a parking garage from, like, the 60s or 70s probably, none of the parking spots could fit all the big giant trucks of texas, i would see guys trying to back out and having to do 30 point turns to make it work, you could see paint scraped on all the corners of turns in that garage because the big trucks were too big to handle it. truly incredible.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
the only part you need to go on rough terrain is an elevated suspension, a higher body and consequently higher center of mass just makes it easier to roll over and no front visibility helps you get stuck on ditches/debris

but we can't let that stand in the way of car fast big go

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

zegermans posted:

I goad my coworkers about this all the time, they just shrug and tell me these trucks have sensors everywhere that beep at you if you're about to annihilate an entire family

yeah and they're going off all the loving time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alarm_fatigue

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think we should take a page from the Taliban's book and also have an RPG guy around at all time.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

:hmmyes:

The most pleasant residential areas here are older parts of town with single track roads that discourage through traffic and make speeding suicidal, while retaining a connected grid so you can still get to your friend's place on foot or a bike without having to detour.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Losing my mind here. Every time a popular business opens near our busy downtown, people complain because "it's going to generate traffic."

OK, to repeat that: People don't want convenient grocery stores and good restaurants because they imagine they will slow down their driving. They don't see this as a car problem. They see having too many good things in an area as a bad thing. They want amenities spread out across town to "keep traffic down." Sprawl, the very thing that drives traffic. This is why people are upset that there's going to be a grocery store within walking distance of thousands of people who would otherwise have to drive across town. gently caress

Small business owners in my city fight against reclaiming any street space from cars or parking because they believe the bulk of their business is from the 3 suburbanites parking directly in front of their shop rather than the 5,000 people walking over from their apartments in the same neighborhood, who would definitely spend more time there if it weren't loud as gently caress and dangerous. The American mindset is not salvageable

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

sat on my keys! posted:

seems like a simple solution to make everyone happy would be to mandate you can only drive trucks like that where they're "necessary" (ie Tahoe) and as soon as you try to enter city limits it gets impounded

I drove a rented Kia Soul all around Tahoe anybody who says they need a big truck because nature is too scary is a liar and also a coward

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Nitevision posted:

Small business owners in my city fight against reclaiming any street space from cars or parking because they believe the bulk of their business is from the 3 suburbanites parking directly in front of their shop rather than the 5,000 people walking over from their apartments in the same neighborhood, who would definitely spend more time there if it weren't loud as gently caress and dangerous. The American mindset is not salvageable

NYC DOT is trying to make two streets in Brooklyn (7th & 8th Avenues, which together see more than 500 injuries per year) safer by making them one way, adding PBLs, and removing parking. However, local small business owners and the incoming DSA-endorsed city councilperson are not having it:

https://twitter.com/alexaforcouncil/status/1450824668999557121

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Nitevision posted:

they narrowed the street in front of my job because people kept almost pasting small children making unchecked turns but the apartment complex across from us refused to sign off on the plan because it would reduce parking by one (1) space so now the kids have to deal with both unchecked turns from the other direction AND people trying to pass the school busses in the unnarrowed oncoming lane lmao

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

'overlanders' and people with lifted trucks explaining why their oversized vehicles are absolutely necessary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh6RLOF3FrE

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

zegermans posted:

yes, need the important vehicular manslaughter sensors to prevent that at all angles to know the car 100% non lethal and put your guilty piece of poo poo conscience at rest

heavy rear end large trucks tearing up the asphalt into the remote mountain road making it inaccessible

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

genericnick posted:

I think we should take a page from the Taliban's book and also have an RPG guy around at all time.

I thought dice weren't allowed in islam

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A sparkling new resort-style apartment complex here, built outside of town on old farmland, is in the news because residents claim they don't have enough parking. The city granted them more spots than there are rooms in the complex. It's never enough.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought dice weren't allowed in islam

Islam? more like is-lame.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Even bougie mountain people know that a pickup truck is a poo poo vehicle for poor road conditions. A Subaru has a much better chance of getting you to your destination.

Subarus are also poo poo, and like all cars, I hate them.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Subarus are very ftw

Cross trek, impreza, all excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018