Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Was watching a streamer play and it seems like getting good relations on all your characters by keeping stress low was crucial. He was getting free heals all the time from the mid combat barks.

It was kind of annoying actually for every turn to be interrupted by one of the characters expressing their love for another one.

They all be shagging in that wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like clerics in D&D as an archetype that heals, protects, and braves melee combat even though they aren't the toughest or most skilled combatants. I like their alturism and their belief in something aspirational beyond themselves, and I'm concerned the sequel will be a bit poorer thematically with a turn exclusively towards the bleaker characters like Hellion, Grave Robber, Highwayman, etc. I like those characters, but I'll miss what a Crusader or Acolyte brought to a party.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

having heals meted out by "doing well in combat" sounds like a great way to make everything more dynamic and faster paced, as opposed to "welp it's the Vestal/Occultist's turn, time to heal"

^^^^^^
I'd be shocked if we didn't get a Paladin/Saint or something later; there's def a missing archtype to be filled there

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It seems that Crits and DoT do generate corpses this time around?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some other things I've learned:

-Every hero gets a 'consumable' slot in their bar. Some items are familiar (bandages, antivenom) but others are new. Some are offensive items. These don't consume an action to use but since they're limited I assume you have to economize their use.

-Healing salve is a consumable item!

-Hellion has similar mechanics to flagellant (buffs that trigger at hp thresholds). Could be interesting if it scales well.

-Skills seem to be able to ignore a % of resists under certain circumstances, which would encourage combos. There might also be a combo mechanic for some heroes.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 26, 2021

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

With respect to how "complete it is," can you "win" the game?

I'm not asking for exacting detail on exactly what is in and what isn't, or what 60% means, but is the overall arch of the game there and you can complete a game, or is it the deal where like Act I is in the game now, with Acts II and III to follow?

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
It's out! Restart Epic Game launcher if it's not showing as launched. In the UK at least.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
There's an experimental branch available as well, there's not really a description on the store page for the differences?

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019
Still hadnt redeemed my Epic coupon yet so snatched it up for €11.59 which is a steal.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I like clerics in D&D as an archetype that heals, protects, and braves melee combat even though they aren't the toughest or most skilled combatants. I like their alturism and their belief in something aspirational beyond themselves, and I'm concerned the sequel will be a bit poorer thematically with a turn exclusively towards the bleaker characters like Hellion, Grave Robber, Highwayman, etc. I like those characters, but I'll miss what a Crusader or Acolyte brought to a party.

This sequel seems drastically more hopeful than the first one due to game structure and mechanics. The min-max strategy in DD1 was to recruit en masse, subject your parties to horrible trauma to extract the most money, then uplift the lucky few who became hardened while discarding the rest. Hbomberguy described it well in his Ludonarrative video as “being the CEO of the worst corporation in the world.”

In DD2 you are focused entirely on one party in a run. Even one death is catastrophic. Keeping stress low is crucial, as it fosters and maintains the good interpersonal relationships that give your party a fighting chance. Party disunity and hostile relationships cause a vicious cycle that will absolutely doom your run.

The hopeful tone in the middle of the apocalypse extends to small things, like running into helpless civilians on the road. Never are your options anything like “gently caress ‘em, let’s steal their supplies and move on”, but rather deciding the manner in which you’ll help them. The name of the metacurrency is literally “Hope”, and it’s even reflected in the tone of the title screen music.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Magitek posted:

This sequel seems drastically more hopeful than the first one due to game structure and mechanics.

I didn't realize; thank you for the write up. That all sounds great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I will say, I extremely dislike the new way you go from room to room. The stage coach feels terrible and sluggish even if it doesn't seem to really matter how you are moving left and right. And I dunno it also kind of feels like there's a lot of nothing in between encounters or whatever with this new perspective, in a way the side scrolling moving through the rooms didn't.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Magitek posted:

The hopeful tone in the middle of the apocalypse extends to small things, like running into helpless civilians on the road. Never are your options anything like “gently caress ‘em, let’s steal their supplies and move on”, but rather deciding the manner in which you’ll help them. The name of the metacurrency is literally “Hope”, and it’s even reflected in the tone of the title screen music.

Untrue, the Grave Robber has a chance to suggest you just rob the fuckers, but doing so reduces the Flame of Hope you're transporting.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Magitek posted:

This sequel seems drastically more hopeful than the first one due to game structure and mechanics. The min-max strategy in DD1 was to recruit en masse, subject your parties to horrible trauma to extract the most money, then uplift the lucky few who became hardened while discarding the rest. Hbomberguy described it well in his Ludonarrative video as “being the CEO of the worst corporation in the world.”

In DD2 you are focused entirely on one party in a run. Even one death is catastrophic. Keeping stress low is crucial, as it fosters and maintains the good interpersonal relationships that give your party a fighting chance. Party disunity and hostile relationships cause a vicious cycle that will absolutely doom your run.

That sounds a lot more palatable than the first game. I mean, it was pretty good, but even both the recent X-COMs were less of a meat grinder than DD1 was.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Angry-Alphs posted:

Still hadnt redeemed my Epic coupon yet so snatched it up for €11.59 which is a steal.

Same, even picked up the OST because might as well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I'm kind of confused by how the whole system works now. I took a route when I left the inn that was... way too hard for my guys this early, and everyone but one person died. The battle also ended on its own after a while. I decided to abandon the run, but it doesn't take you back to the inn, it takes you essentially back to the beginning where I had to do a whole new crew of four, and the path is the same with the cache and stuff. Is my lone survivor from that last run at the inn? How do parties work this time?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Macaluso posted:

So I'm kind of confused by how the whole system works now. I took a route when I left the inn that was... way too hard for my guys this early, and everyone but one person died. The battle also ended on its own after a while. I decided to abandon the run, but it doesn't take you back to the inn, it takes you essentially back to the beginning where I had to do a whole new crew of four, and the path is the same with the cache and stuff. Is my lone survivor from that last run at the inn? How do parties work this time?

I believe that runs are self contained entities now, when you die you start over aside from the meta-progression currency, Hope. Your last run is abandoned, that hero is gone, focus on making future runs go better.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I accidentally installed the experimental branch. Wondering if I should switch to main branch or stay on that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Crasical posted:

I believe that runs are self contained entities now, when you die you start over aside from the meta-progression currency, Hope. Your last run is abandoned, that hero is gone, focus on making future runs go better.

I see, interesting. Where do I see my "hope" currency?

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
the relationship interactions happen at least 3x too often, IMO

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I know it's taboo to criticize the difficulty of this series, but it feels like maybe thing are a little too hard right out the gate right now. The cultists seem exceptionally difficult

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smith Comma John posted:

if you get hateful it basically happens every single turn

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

reminder you can use the $10 coupon for signing up to the EGS newsletter on DD2 early access

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/coupons/connect-and-save

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wow comments in Steam forums are a trash fire. Nonstop bitching about it being an EGS exclusive, anyone being the slightest bit optimistic dismissed as a white knight.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

I will say, I extremely dislike the new way you go from room to room. The stage coach feels terrible and sluggish even if it doesn't seem to really matter how you are moving left and right. And I dunno it also kind of feels like there's a lot of nothing in between encounters or whatever with this new perspective, in a way the side scrolling moving through the rooms didn't.

Yeah I'd prefer to just leave auto move on (minimal input games are great for resting my fingers) but the game doesn't pause to let you choose at a fork in the road.

Smith Comma John posted:

Agreed, in my first run it felt like the "YOU STOLE MY KILL" :mad: interactions were happening constantly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also does anyone know what the tilde button is SUPPOSED to do?? It like, resets the camera or something but makes the game think you're moving, so the lantern goes down. You can spam this and the lantern will keep going down, but your carriage will spaz out and fall out of the world and stuff. I kept hitting it and eventually it go to the point where I couldn't move forward at all and had to abandon that run. This feels like a dev tool that got left in

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Macaluso posted:

Also does anyone know what the tilde button is SUPPOSED to do??

hit it if you have already accidentally fallen out of the world (which shouldn’t happen but better to have an insta fix if it does) it sticks the stagecoach back on the road

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I really don’t like the time limit for battles.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The road battles having a time limit is pretty nonsensical except so as to prevent you from stunlocking enemies and using the extra time to heal/destress.

Also now bleeds stack up damage/round (getting 5x bled was 10hp/round, nuts) which I don't recall happening before? Anyways, yeah.

I can't decide if I like the new stagecoach setup better than estate or not. I liked the feeling of progression in the first better, thus far.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The negative relationship poo poo is happenening because you're letting your heroes sit around at 4-5 stress and it's making them bitchy, spam the upgraded versions of Bolster and Ounce of Prevention

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How does hero progression work? Do heroes level up like they did in the first game?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sheep posted:

The road battles having a time limit is pretty nonsensical except so as to prevent you from stunlocking enemies and using the extra time to heal/destress.

Also now bleeds stack up damage/round (getting 5x bled was 10hp/round, nuts) which I don't recall happening before? Anyways, yeah.

I can't decide if I like the new stagecoach setup better than estate or not. I liked the feeling of progression in the first better, thus far.

Thats how bleed works in the first game too.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Panfilo posted:

Occultist heal really wasn't that bad. At rank 6 only a handful of heroes had bad enough bleed resist to proc the bleed effect, and it was a rare heal that was on a very fast hero that could use it in any position. In contrast the Vestal was slow and SOL if stuck in rank 1.
Occultist was complete garbage because he could heal for 0. Even a 1-pointer would pull someone off death's door. In a game about minimizing variance through a long and tedious grind, the chance to skip a turn (or worse, cause a bleed) instead of pulling someone off death's door defeated any utility he might have as a healer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Diephoon posted:

Agreed, in my first run it felt like the "YOU STOLE MY KILL" :mad: interactions were happening constantly.

lol came here to post this. The biggest complaint I have right now is the "YOU STOLE MY GLORY" which mechanically is annoying when it happens SO often (to the extreme detriment of relationship points) but thematically it also makes zero loving sense. First game, if I got a crit kill it was a partywide stress-relief. Now my party members are League of Legends dorks obsessed with killsteals.
My first run ended around the end of the third go. By then, all my party members hated each other, the Plague Doctor was killed, and I couldn't even heal other teammates due to HATE.

Here are the things I like a lot:

-- I really REALLY love the art style and animations; the way the MaA drags his cudgel along the ground, the knife flip from Dismas, the little motions that the Grave Robber does for everything. And the enemies look gross and abhorrent.

-- the idea of slowly discovering each character's story via those reflection sites and unlocking more skills is great. I liked how Dismas had a mini fight though I assumed everyone would get those.

-- Slow gradual healing while traveling is a good idea. I liked how healing is a bit more limited, but heals generally recover a lot more health. And with items, almost anyone can help out. If they hate each other then you're hosed, though.

-- Nice touch that Mastery points seem limited so you need to pick and choose who gets upgraded skills.

Panfilo posted:

Wow comments in Steam forums are a trash fire. Nonstop bitching about it being an EGS exclusive, anyone being the slightest bit optimistic dismissed as a white knight.

I guess everyone forgot that Hades was an EGS early access exclusive too and it didn't hurt it in the long run one bit. the only people who really cry this hard about EGS need to touch loving grass, I'm legit sick of hearing about it. Complaining about a secondary game service in addition to Steam, in a world where everyone has 5 TV subscription services at minimum, is just extreme nerd handwringing.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I am complying a cheat table for cheat engine in case anyone is interested to go over the most bullshit of segements and to tweak the game at your leisure. Things in the table so far

1) unlock all heroes from start
2) edit master points
3) edit money
4) give yourself 100% all immunities
5)invincibility
6) one hit kill

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

lol came here to post this. The biggest complaint I have right now is the "YOU STOLE MY GLORY" which mechanically is annoying when it happens SO often (to the extreme detriment of relationship points) but thematically it also makes zero loving sense.

My Plague Doctor was doing it every round. Bro you have one offensive skill!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Dik Hz posted:

Occultist was complete garbage because he could heal for 0. Even a 1-pointer would pull someone off death's door. In a game about minimizing variance through a long and tedious grind, the chance to skip a turn (or worse, cause a bleed) instead of pulling someone off death's door defeated any utility he might have as a healer.
Not at all. Like I said, the chance to bleed is low. Focusing on the chance to heal for zero is missing the overall utility of Wyrd Reconstruction. It's like a 95% chance to heal for a positive value at rank 5 and only 3 heroes have a small risk of bleeding from it.

A Vestal in rank 1 has a heal of 0 100% of the time. She can't pull herself off deaths door there, the occultist can most of the time. A Crusader might not get his heal off before a hero on deaths door took a DoT tick when they likely went before him, an Occultist is more likely to be in a position to react.

When the Occultist crits (which is often when using Sacrificial Stab) he gets +25% healing next turn, which further helps offset the randomness. Standard meta is to stall as much as you can, which brings the variable heal of occultist close to the true median.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I always preferred occultist over vestal. While the vestal heals more reliably, that's the only thing she could do so when no one was hurt she was a waste of a slot. Occ could mark, debuff, and even do decent aoe damage in the cove

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Seems the thread title should change to something more appropriate given we’re firmly not crawling dungeons anymore.

More of a road warrior thing really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CainsDescendant posted:

Yeah I always preferred occultist over vestal. While the vestal heals more reliably, that's the only thing she could do so when no one was hurt she was a waste of a slot. Occ could mark, debuff, and even do decent aoe damage in the cove

She could stun, which was very important since stunning was basically a round of free damage