Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Strong Tim Curry in the Last Witch vibes from that in the best way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Froghammer posted:

Devo is fine. I will never for the life of me understand people accusing D&D characters of trying to be the main character of the story.

How dare you try to be an important central character in this story I'm supposed to be writing in reaction to your choices?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I may be overly defensive, but I hope that's not the impression I gave.

I was just saying it seems the consequences of being an rear end in a top hat to powerful people has pretty severe consequences and I haven't figured out what they are.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

How dare you try to be an important central character in this story I'm supposed to be writing in reaction to your choices?

Isn't the real complaint people have about main character syndrome that it's one person trying to be the main character and make everything about them at the expense of the other 3-5 people that are also playing characters that are central to the story that they're collaboratively writing?

I need to get back to adventure zone now that everyone's saying it's good again. I've started to listen to the prologue a quiet year campaign, but it's a little hard to follow since the listener can't see the board that they're drawing on

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Devo is good.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Isn't the real complaint people have about main character syndrome that it's one person trying to be the main character and make everything about them at the expense of the other 3-5 people that are also playing characters that are central to the story that they're collaboratively writing?

Yeah, this can be a problem in organic tabletop RP if someone is actually steamrolling over other players, but TAZ is a podcast where they can and have edited out or redone scenes that don't work so it's just the very normal people who psychoanalyze every sentence Travis says.

Hell, there was only one character in TAZ who explicitly had a Chosen One backstory and it wasn't Travis...

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Was nice hearing Joseph Fink again. I haven't listened to Nightvale in forev so glad to know things are still goin good there.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, this can be a problem in organic tabletop RP if someone is actually steamrolling over other players, but TAZ is a podcast where they can and have edited out or redone scenes that don't work so it's just the very normal people who psychoanalyze every sentence Travis says.

Hell, there was only one character in TAZ who explicitly had a Chosen One backstory and it wasn't Travis...

Yeah I meant to add to the post that I don't think it would really apply to a podcast cause as you mentioned, they can just kinda edit out scenes that don't work or like, do a second take or something

Though I guess it'd still be a problem in something like Critical Role where it's done live. But like.. they're all professional actors so I'm sure they work a decent chunk of that stuff out behind the scenes before ever going on camera. At least to a certain extent

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
BDG absolutely killing it with his ABBA album

slaying it, you might say

(muahaha)

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Main Character Syndrome was only noticeable to me when Orion was doing it on Critical Role and that problem solved itself.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It helps that Amber and Devo have back stories they can refer to, Zukes is flying blind.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The group dynamic is also pretty weird. I know in d&d the answer to "how your characters met" is generally just "whatever, they did, who cares" but I feel like that's something that should have been explored. I'm sure it will improve in time as everyone gets used to their characters, though.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

MY BONES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRdpJvX8it0

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the question about how they drive a big truck and don't like it and justin interrupts "stupid!" made me laugh so hard

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This week in MBMBAM, we learn that while questioning authority was good back in ancient Greece, now, ugh, just sit down.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
For whatever reason my podcast app decided this week's episode was done somewhere midway munchsquad and I'm 100% okay with that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wish brian did a full music video for Man After Midnight instead of just a static (electricity) image video, because it's a fantastic cover

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pham Nuwen posted:

This week in MBMBAM, we learn that while questioning authority was good back in ancient Greece, now, ugh, just sit down.

They did preface that by saying it sounds a lot like the Facts And Logic assholes.

$10 says in this age Socrates and Plato would listen to Ben Shapiro.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wasabi the J posted:

They did preface that by saying it sounds a lot like the Facts And Logic assholes.

$10 says in this age Socrates and Plato would listen to Ben Shapiro.

Diogenes is pretty based

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

If you've ever actually read the Socratic dialogues he is completely insufferable. There's one where he argues that rhetoric is an inherently evil art and only pure logic should be practised, in the form of him having a back-and-forth with a famous rhetorician where he constantly goes "Hm! Very interesting! It sounds like you have it all figured out! But then what if...?". He sounds like the worst dude to argue with in the world, and funnily enough their take is at least 70% accurate on a gut feeling.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
As a weird cross over Venn diagram that some people here may enjoy

The episode 1 guys did a cross over with fortune house guys and had an "AI" rerank pitchforks rerankings

The last half has them talking poo poo about late 00's music food endorsements that was the most munchsquad poo poo I've heard and laughed at in a while

It's a weird premise, with a lot of hoops but I believe to be in line with what people here may like

https://pca.st/episode/236bf3a6-586b-47ed-bcd4-b183afcc339c

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I don't think Hoops is in that at all

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Android Blues posted:

If you've ever actually read the Socratic dialogues he is completely insufferable. There's one where he argues that rhetoric is an inherently evil art and only pure logic should be practised, in the form of him having a back-and-forth with a famous rhetorician where he constantly goes "Hm! Very interesting! It sounds like you have it all figured out! But then what if...?". He sounds like the worst dude to argue with in the world, and funnily enough their take is at least 70% accurate on a gut feeling.

This point is illustrated beautifully in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, where I desperately wish there was a quest to punch Socrates right in this dumb face for the crap he puts me through

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Am I the only one who feels less like Devo has main character syndrome, and more like they picked an obviously Devo heavy mission for their second arc? I mean, it only makes sense for his background and stuff to come up a lot when they're literally working with the emotionally abusive people who raised him, I'm sure Amber and Zooks will get their focus stuff down the line.

I DO worry that doing an arc where Devo is justifiably hostile this early might set the tone for him, though. :ohdear:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My cliff notes from reading the Greeks in college was Plato: bad, Socrates: bad, Aristotle: good, Herodotus: awesome.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm only half shitposting when I say Diogenes is the only Greek you should even give half a poo poo about as a genuine philosopher who had any interest in exploring human nature and not just jacking off their perceived betters or propping themselves up as said betters to others.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Herodotus was a a solid historian though, for his time at least.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahah this loving EP god dammit Brian

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Anyone else having to really fight the urge to tell them about Brazilian football legend Socrates or is that just me?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Herodotus was a a solid historian though, for his time at least.

Thucydides was also a good read.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Thucydides nuts hahahaha oh man

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Re: Devo because I just caught up in time for tomorrow. Travis writes exhaustive backstories it's what he does. We're just getting main character vibes because of the mission. Justin is winging it with his best setting addition and will find his ground as he goes like Taako.

Zooks and Clint are who concern me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sexpig by night posted:

I'm only half shitposting when I say Diogenes is the only Greek you should even give half a poo poo about as a genuine philosopher who had any interest in exploring human nature and not just jacking off their perceived betters or propping themselves up as said betters to others.

Diogenes said some poo poo man. Surprised no one forced him to eat poison but he was like loving George Carlin.

quote:

• When the slave auctioneer asked in what he was proficient, he replied, "In ruling men."
  • He pointed to a certain Corinthian with a fine purple border to his robe ... and said, “Sell me to this man; he needs a master.”
  • Once he saw the officials of a temple leading away someone who had stolen a bowl belonging to the treasurers, and said, "The great thieves are leading away the little thief."
  • He was seized and dragged off to King Philip, and being asked who he was, replied, "A spy upon your insatiable greed."
  • When Alexander the Great addressed him with greetings, and asked if he wanted anything, Diogenes replied "Yes, stand a little out of my sunshine."
  • When some one reminded him that the people of Sinope had sentenced him to exile, he said, "And I sentenced them to stay at home."
  • He lit a lamp in broad daylight and said, as he went about, "I am looking for a human."

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 28, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Clint has the most powerful rolls in the game

Jesus christ, a d100.....wow

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Re: Devo because I just caught up in time for tomorrow. Travis writes exhaustive backstories it's what he does. We're just getting main character vibes because of the mission. Justin is winging it with his best setting addition and will find his ground as he goes like Taako.

Zooks and Clint are who concern me.

I absolutely adore what Clint has done with Zoox so far. I feel like he's doing a pretty drat good job of playing Zoox's new to the world naiveite.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
"I can't lie about my art."

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
more AAA!BBA

https://youtu.be/l_RtpWGa8LY

https://youtu.be/HlBlhQazxx4

https://youtu.be/dTgipsBMg6w

https://youtu.be/sABdtEaKMYE

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 29, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1453892842741542912

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Interbreeding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
cannot believe the hosts of the marital tour of misguided marriage would be so crass as to reveal that they are married