Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Hello this is a perfect encapsulation with everything wrong with the current moderation in D&D right now.The man got some mild criticism and instead of being normal about it just swung wildly for the worst reading possible while simultaneously being as dismissive as possible in tone.

Seriously, if this person still has buttons at the end of this what is the point of asking for any feedback. Even ignoring the immediate meltdown that followed it which on its own should show they should have no say in how this forum is run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Hello this is a perfect encapsulation with everything wrong with the current moderation in D&D right now.The man got some mild criticism and instead of being normal about it just swung wildly for the worst reading possible while simultaneously being as dismissive as possible in tone.

Seriously, if this person still has buttons at the end of this what is the point of asking for any feedback. Even ignoring the immediate meltdown that followed it which on its own should show they should have no say in how this forum is run.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
edit: wrong thread

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009
Everyone going after GommieGIR but Handsome Ralph is a hundred times worse. At least CG seems to mean well, while Ralph has just clear contempt for the people he likes to probate. He seems like the type of person who turns into a total oval office when given the tiniest bit of authority, a classic somethingawful mod for sure, but maybe demod that guy

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Lol that the one post rule was lifted and it immediately wound up with Forums Superstar and Moderator Extraordinare CommieGIR showing their whole rear end that they had to eat a probation for it.

After seeing CG conduct themselves this way in this thread and the QCS thread, how can you possibly excuse the blue star next to their name?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

serious gaylord posted:

While I'm not a fan of CommieGIR "posting through it", as the saying goes, in all fairness they have been attacked relentlessly by dozens of posters for the past week and I can't blame them for getting increasingly more defensive and flippant.

What really needs to be discussed is these coordinated harassment campaigns against D&D mods that certain groups of posters clearly dislike, and the particularly vicious and vile nature of the attacks. It's not a "both sides" issue either. I myself have voiced a ton of criticism against Majorian and the_steve in the past, but I've never accused them of being pedophiles or agents of <intel agency>, for example.

Maybe people should tone down their rhetoric several notches if they actually want to see some positive change.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

While I'm not a fan of CommieGIR "posting through it", as the saying goes, in all fairness they have been attacked relentlessly by dozens of posters for the past week and I can't blame them for getting increasingly more defensive and flippant.

What really needs to be discussed is these coordinated harassment campaigns against D&D mods that certain groups of posters clearly dislike, and the particularly vicious and vile nature of the attacks. It's not a "both sides" issue either. I myself have voiced a ton of criticism against Majorian and the_steve in the past, but I've never accused them of being pedophiles or agents of <intel agency>, for example.

Maybe people should tone down their rhetoric several notches if they actually want to see some positive change.

thats why one of the other mods needed to pull him aside at some point and tell him to take a break before it got to this point. i know the mods are all adults and shouldn't need to babysit eachother but i dont think its beyond the pale to say a more experienced mod should've been able to recognize he wasnt handling this well from the jump and privately defuse the situation, thats certainly better than just letting it rock until you literally need to probe him (lol)

e: oh i didnt even read the last 2/3rds of your post. lmbo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

:confused:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

People have very legitimate beef with him and have gotten frustrated over months of nothing being done about it. He has a habit of making up rules in his head then probing against those, probing for doom posting, probing for discussing something longer than he wants to discuss it. Its reasonable that people have lost their chill with this.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So the problem is actually your posting enemies?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

literally "no one deserves to be heard unless they are more polite to me and my posting pals"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

literally "no one deserves to be heard unless they are more polite to me and my posting pals"

The D&D/CSPAM divide is just the words " The tone is more important than the message" but in two different tones.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I don't have posting enemies I'm aware of, and I honestly can't even tell you if it's the same people most of the time, but the mob mentality when it looks like there's blood in the water for a mod or IK is extremely, extremely obvious and prevalent. (pretend I inserted that Maine Painframe meltdown like I could be bothered to go find it)

I won't even pin it on the C-SPAM crew targeting D&D mods, there was an obvious mob out for blood against Majorian (or however you spell their name)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

fart_man_69 posted:

Everyone going after GommieGIR but Handsome Ralph is a hundred times worse. At least CG seems to mean well, while Ralph has just clear contempt for the people he likes to probate. He seems like the type of person who turns into a total oval office when given the tiniest bit of authority, a classic somethingawful mod for sure, but maybe demod that guy

When I pmed Ralph on my probe earlier, he sent me a bunch of replies that basically amounted to "all of my posting buddies told me that people like you are why D&D is bad" (I haven't really posted in D&D since the 2016 election, about five times longer than he has been an IK or Mod) and "go back to cspam" (I don't post in cspam) which is imo very emblematic of the problems in D&D. Some nebulous enemy posters from the other politics forum were mean about their bad moderation, and therefore everyone who has a problem with their moderation is an evil cspammer that wants to ruin the forums or whatever. Don't bother to read the posts or the context or that poster's posting history, if they dislike our moderation they must be The Enemy who is all the same. All criticism gets painted with the same broad brush, there are enough tedious hugbox posters that tell the mods everything is great and peachy they way they run things so they think they're completely in the right and unimpeachable, and all the rest of the SA posters avoid D&D like the toxic wastedump it has slowly turned into.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 26, 2021

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Since none of you fuckwits can apparently abide by the "don't debate each other in this thread" rules, I'm putting down the red hammer: you will be probated for a week if you quote/subtweet a non-mod in this thread, or if you try to cutely circumvent this rule. This rule will go into effect 5 minutes after this is posted. If you're in this thread to wage ideological war with other posters, leave and don't return. If you're here because you love to join every bit of drama that appears on this entire website, autoban yourself and don't return.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

literally "no one deserves to have their concerns heard unless they are more polite to me and my posting pals"

Well, there is a wide spectrum between "being polite" and "not accusing someone of being a pedophile."

I'm just saying that people are much less likely to actually hear your concerns about someone if you're constantly using the most extreme rhetoric imaginable when describing that person and flinging wild accusations at them

This shouldn't be a controversial statement. I know the Internet can make people particularly vicious, but but at the end of the day we should all remember there are humans on the other side of our screens.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

So you looked at CommieGIR all but intentionally looking for rakes to step on over the past few days and decided "this is a coordinated hate campaign against tbe moderators"?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Wait Majorian got to be a mod and then got harassed out of being a mod when it turned out he was thin skinned.

I'm sorry I missed that. I bet the same would happen to me if I got buttons

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

That poster you're replying to is making a dumb argument I don't agree with, but yeah I think you do need to be a minimal amount of polite. Open roiling hostility is its own sort of boring useless white noise.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fool of sound posted:

Since none of you fuckwits can apparently abide by the "don't debate each other in this thread" rules, I'm putting down the red hammer: you will be probated for a week if you quote/subtweet a non-mod in this thread, or if you try to cutely circumvent this rule. This rule will go into effect 5 minutes after this is posted. If you're in this thread to wage ideological war with other posters, leave and don't return. If you're here because you love to join every bit of drama that appears on this entire website, autoban yourself and don't return.

if you're gonna go this far, just close the thread and post a link to some kind of private feedback form instead

it'd be a far more effective way of accomplishing this goal, with far less mod effort, and probably less humiliating

like at this point what is the actual purpose of holding the feedback specifically in a thread

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Honestly I am kind of shocked the mods have never tried something like a google form for feedback. Its easy to spin up an account for privacy and build a form with some ratings to shoot into an excel format to parse.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Yeah I'll just say it again the most exhausting thing about D&D is the constant rules about good faith while assuming any criticism or disagreement is coming from an insincere place.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

if you're gonna go this far, just close the thread and post a link to some kind of private feedback form instead

it'd be a far more effective way of accomplishing this goal, with far less mod effort, and probably less humiliating

like at this point what is the actual purpose of holding the feedback specifically in a thread

Because I'm stupid enough to keep believing that people can discuss changes like reasonable adults instead of overgrown children screaming and throwing fruit in the produce isle and challenging the shift manager to a fight.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I think having the the thread is nice and keeping it open is good, and it is good not to close it so that people can give their opinions about bad modding and bad mods. I don't know why the state of the thread was considered so beyond the pale that somebody had to put their foot down, though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

Honestly I am kind of shocked the mods have never tried something like a google form for feedback. Its easy to spin up an account for privacy and build a form with some ratings to shoot into an excel format to parse.

We've discussed this before, in QCS, and the response was "why do the coward mods want to hide the feedback??" so here we are I guess.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

fool of sound posted:

Because I'm stupid enough to keep believing that people can discuss changes like reasonable adults instead of overgrown children screaming and throwing fruit in the produce isle and challenging the shift manager to a fight.

I thought things were going pretty well all things considered. It was all very civil.

fool of sound posted:

We've discussed this before, in QCS, and the response was "why do the coward mods want to hide the feedback??" so here we are I guess.

I mean, if this is too mean or uncivilized for you then yeah you should probably take the feedback in private but nothing here seems overtly problematic or mean.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

fool of sound posted:

then what the gently caress have i been doing studying the blade all this time

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fool of sound posted:

fool of sound posted:

Why do the people demanding decorum also talk to everyone like this?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I don't think being a D&D mod is easy, but I think Fool of Sound is generally on point with his front-facing moderation and I have nothing bad to say. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, though. It might just be that CommieGIR and Ralph to hand out so many random, capricious punishments that he is generally able to escape the spotlight.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah I'll just say it again the most exhausting thing about D&D is the constant rules about good faith while assuming any criticism or disagreement is coming from an insincere place.

Yeah I agree that this is a major problem. The problem is there's a consistent tension between posters who feel that it's unfair when people do not assume good faith on their part, and posters who feel that they shouldn't have to humor people who they have determined to be posting in bad faith. Sometimes these are the same posters. I earnestly don't know how best to deal with this.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fool of sound posted:

The nice thing about something like Google Sheets, is that you can set protected sheets and ranges, so that you could take in feedback through a form, but not allow anyone to gently caress with it, while making the sheet visible to anyone with the link.

I know I've got somewhat of "a reputation" in D&D, but I would be more than happy to facilitate this.

e: so as not to multipost and clutter up the thread, we would probably want to preserve the integrity of the input sources by putting D&D, at least temporarily, behind the paywall so that only SA members can see the link. We'd need coordination with Jeff or another admin to make that happen, but anonymizing the submitter and sticking the forum behind the paywall for x days would be a pretty decent control on it.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 26, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

fool of sound posted:

Yeah I agree that this is a major problem. The problem is there's a consistent tension between posters who feel that it's unfair when people do not assume good faith on their part, and posters who feel that they shouldn't have to humor people who they have determined to be posting in bad faith. Sometimes these are the same posters. I earnestly don't know how best to deal with this.

I think step one is to stop interpreting any friction as a problem that needs a solution. If a bunch of people arguing, even indecorously or loudly, inherently needs a moderator response, then it's normal & natural that the situation becomes a game of jenga for you where you're like "how can I resolve this situation by removing the fewest people". You can't solve this issue if you're still asking yourself that question.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I don't think being a D&D mod is easy, but I think Fool of Sound is generally on point with his front-facing moderation and I have nothing bad to say. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, though. It might just be that CommieGIR and Ralph to hand out so many random, capricious punishments that he is generally able to escape the spotlight.

I'll be real, I probably give out less probations because I've transitioned away from dealing with reports towards regularly reading the threads I'm interested in and moderating them directly. Moderating via reports sucks and is difficult, time consuming, and frustrating because they're lacking any context and when there are 40 reports a day minimum, at least 80% of them not worth bothering with, whichever mod is handling them tends to burn out towards the end of the list and starts making snap judgments. I've definitely done it plenty in the past.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

fool of sound posted:

The reason the thread descended into chaos is because a mod got offended and had a meltdown by constantly replying to anyone who so much as expressed mild disagreement to their opinion on how things should be run while still posting like they were better than everyone else they were replying to.

Do you think both the content and tone of this post will do anything to steer this situation towards anything other than further conflict?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fool of sound posted:

I'll be real, I probably give out less probations because I've transitioned away from dealing with reports towards regularly reading the threads I'm interested in and moderating them directly. Moderating via reports sucks and is difficult, time consuming, and frustrating because they're lacking any context and when there are 40 reports a day minimum, at least 80% of them not worth bothering with, whichever mod is handling them tends to burn out towards the end of the list and starts making snap judgments. I've definitely done it plenty in the past.

Would it be possible, in a subforum with post volume as low as D&D, to completely disable reports? Free up the mods' time, so they can spend more time following actual threads; if something really bad comes up people can PM a mod. Maybe not practical, just an idea.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

The nice thing about something like Google Sheets, is that you can set protected sheets and ranges, so that you could take in feedback through a form, but not allow anyone to gently caress with it, while making the sheet visible to anyone with the link.

I know I've got somewhat of "a reputation" in D&D, but I would be more than happy to facilitate this.

e: so as not to multipost and clutter up the thread, we would probably want to preserve the integrity of the input sources by putting D&D, at least temporarily, behind the paywall so that only SA members can see the link. We'd need coordination with Jeff or another admin to make that happen, but anonymizing the submitter and sticking the forum behind the paywall for x days would be a pretty decent control on it.

Thanks for the offer. I do think we should probably do a permanent anonymous feedback box for D&D. My concern with a permanent feedback thread like the quieter forums have is that I strongly suspect they would turn into the Posters' Court of Every Single Thread and Post like the permanent mod feedback threads in QCS of yesteryear turned into, but an anonymous comment box could be a better solution for a forum like D&D.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

fool of sound posted:

I can't remember if it was bought up in this thread or the QCS one but as a serious bit of feedback have you considered reversals of fortunes of persistent offenders trying to win arguments via moderation? Like vexatious complaints aren't just a law of nature you have to endure, you can just light up a few people trying to play the system and that'll probably cut down on the number you have to deal with in future

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Would it be possible, in a subforum with post volume as low as D&D, to completely disable reports? Free up the mods' time, so they can spend more time following actual threads; if something really bad comes up people can PM a mod. Maybe not practical, just an idea.

I think the report button can technically be removed but you can get around that via url shenanigans. I think the big problem with the "mods just read the threads" approach is USnews, which in any of it's many incarnations over the years has always been too big, fast, and difficult to moderate. The only time during my tenure as mod where I feel like the thread was under control was when we had like 4 permanent IKs for it.

It sucks because we consistently have quality conversation with relatively light moderation in the various spinoff threads, like the Afghanistan thread, but people don't want to post in them because USnews regulars don't like to follow the people they're debating into the specialized threads.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

multijoe posted:

I can't remember if it was bought up in this thread or the QCS one but as a serious bit of feedback have you considered reversals of fortunes of persistent offenders trying to win arguments via moderation? Like vexatious complaints aren't just a law of nature you have to endure, you can just light up a few people trying to play the system and that'll probably cut down on the number you have to deal with in future

The admins have made very clear that they do not want us to do this unless the poster is a really egregious case. We've had a few people get warnings in D&D, a even fewer get punished for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

fool of sound posted:

I think the report button can technically be removed but you can get around that via url shenanigans. I think the big problem with the "mods just read the threads" approach is USnews, which in any of it's many incarnations over the years has always been too big, fast, and difficult to moderate. The only time during my tenure as mod where I feel like the thread was under control was when we had like 4 permanent IKs for it.

It sucks because we consistently have quality conversation with relatively light moderation in the various spinoff threads, like the Afghanistan thread, but people don't want to post in them because USnews regulars don't like to follow the people they're debating into the specialized threads.

I dont think its so much that people don't want to follow but if you are having an organic conversation/discussion about something and someone says take it somewhere else, even in real life the conversation generally just stops. People aren't really behaving any differently here than real people in an office.