Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

fool of sound posted:

Since none of you fuckwits can apparently abide by the "don't debate each other in this thread" rules, I'm putting down the red hammer: you will be probated for a week if you quote/subtweet a non-mod in this thread, or if you try to cutely circumvent this rule. This rule will go into effect 5 minutes after this is posted. If you're in this thread to wage ideological war with other posters, leave and don't return. If you're here because you love to join every bit of drama that appears on this entire website, autoban yourself and don't return.

Friendly reminder that a mod opened the discussion lol

CommieGIR posted:

Fancy Pelosi posted:

Just a reminder to Deteriorata that we aren't supposed to respond directly to other posters in this thread, because the mods don't want it to devolve into a slapfight.

Frankly I feel opening it up has helped, we got a lot of good feedback in the first 6 pages, now I think discussion is more warranted and it seems like most other posters agree.

Worth noting that they had already updated the rules removing the single post rule prior to this.

but thanks for coming in here super aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

I dont think its so much that people don't want to follow but if you are having an organic conversation/discussion about something and someone says take it somewhere else, even in real life the conversation generally just stops. People aren't really behaving any differently here than real people in an office.

The problem is that USNews isn't an organic conversation. There are too many people pursuing too many lines of discussion at once, in a manner that doesn't encourage or require them to actually participate in a dialogue. It's a high school locker room, where there's a bunch of individual conversations happening until someone throws down, and then there's no room for nuance because everything is written for the benefit of the audience.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimong5 posted:

Friendly reminder that a mod opened the discussion lol

but thanks for coming in here super aggro.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:siren: Rules change based on proposal from That Other Thread:

- One post per combat round is lifted.
- Do not attack other posters. Direct your poo poo to the mods.
- Do not quote other posters. Direct your poo poo to the mods.
- Do not get cute about the previous two.

- As always, do not be an rear end in a top hat.
- Forumbans still apply.
- Updating the OP is too much of a pain in the rear end on the phone, so I'll do it later.
- If this results in a total shitshow, we may alter the rules; "one post per 24 hours" seems plausible but we'll see.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

fool of sound posted:

The problem is that USNews isn't an organic conversation. There are too many people pursuing too many lines of discussion at once, in a manner that doesn't encourage or require them to actually participate in a dialogue. It's a high school locker room, where there's a bunch of individual conversations happening until someone throws down, and then there's no room for nuance because everything is written for the benefit of the audience.

I guess I disagree? I post here exactly the way I talk to people in person or in my company teams chat. I guess other people don't but im not looking to throw down with anyone, I just want to talk about policy and outcomes.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

fool of sound posted:

Since none of you fuckwits can apparently abide by the "don't debate each other in this thread" rules, I'm putting down the red hammer: you will be probated for a week if you quote/subtweet a non-mod in this thread, or if you try to cutely circumvent this rule. This rule will go into effect 5 minutes after this is posted. If you're in this thread to wage ideological war with other posters, leave and don't return. If you're here because you love to join every bit of drama that appears on this entire website, autoban yourself and don't return.

Set an example and give CommieGIR a week.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Yeah I can read the rules and I can also read the post by the mod saying discussion has been good and more discussion is now warranted that came after the rules that I helpfully linked for you.

Why can't you read the thread that's ostensibly for you to read and understand?

e: I'd like to add one of the problems with D&D moderation is mods not following the flow of a thread and just angrily coming in and slinging out probes cause lol

Jimong5 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 26, 2021

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

I guess I disagree? I post here exactly the way I talk to people in person or in my company teams chat. I guess other people don't but im not looking to throw down with anyone, I just want to talk about policy and outcomes.

I appreciate that, and I wish more people would do so. Unfortunately quite a few posters post in a way that would get them a visit to HR any time a serious argument starts up, especially in USnews. It was just under half of the posts per day in D&D last I checked, but generated the overwhelming majority of reports and mod actions.

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

serious gaylord posted:

Hello this is a perfect encapsulation with everything wrong with the current moderation in D&D right now.The man got some mild criticism and instead of being normal about it just swung wildly for the worst reading possible while simultaneously being as dismissive as possible in tone.

Seriously, if this person still has buttons at the end of this what is the point of asking for any feedback. Even ignoring the immediate meltdown that followed it which on its own should show they should have no say in how this forum is run.

This. It's a great example of the petulant, hostile, dismissive attitude of the current D&D mods in general, and CommieGIR and Ralph in particular. They mod like troops with TBIs occupying a foreign country- fire at will, then lie about it. That problem isn't going to get better until all of the current D&D mods are removed, at the same time, and a completely fresh slate of mods are brought in. You can't fix a bucket of rotten apples by slowing bringing in (1) new apple at a time. (but only the ones recommended by the rotten apples) You toss the bucket and start fresh.

Part of that toxic mod culture that's been cultivated in D&D is an obsessive, reactionary aversion to "doomerism". It's lovely, enforced groupthink, and it's literally killing D&D. Here's a few examples:

1. The COVID thread.
Fake doctors with photoshopped credentials, like Madjackal? 100% fine. Weird forced Democrat optimism about how COVID will go away on its own, anti-mask talking points about how cloth and surgical masks are fine against Delta, and in-person school is fine? 100% fine. Anti-science opposition to boosters, and other NPIs recommended by epidemiologists? All 100% fine.
Saying there's a growing body of evidence that COVID causes brain damage? gently caress off, doomer. Saying in-person school is dangerous, and Biden made a huge fuckup when his admin said masks are necessary for vaccinated people, back in May? gently caress off, doomer.

2. The Climate Change thread.
Saying, it'll probably be okay! be optimistic! some smart scientist will probably figure out how to capture gigatons of carbon! 100% fine. Saying "hmm that paper on the Laptev pocket didn't get published the respectable journals, it's just a pre-print, people would be talking about it if it was bad, how dare you talk about it". 100% fine.
Saying it's bad that the Biden admin is approving record numbers drilling permits? gently caress off, doomer. Saying it's really loving concerning how bad the freak heat waves, flooding, and freezes have been in 2021? gently caress off, doomer. Saying the infrastructure bill doesn't go far enough in fighting climate change? Put together a complete 200-page plan on how you'd pass a better bill, doomer, or you're threadbanned. :commiegir:

And that's not even touching how awful the modding has been in USPOL, the Tara Reade thread, the China thread, or the immigration thread. The rot is systemic.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

fool of sound posted:

Why does this really matter? Why does 2 or 3 different groups of people having 2 or 3 different discussions in the same thread a problem? If you don't want to be part of one discussion, just skip over it. If you miss something important, you can just scroll up. CSPAM manages multiple political discussions in the same thread all the time. It works out fine.

It's this line of thinking that promotes biased enforcement because if there are two topics with only one allowed then some button pusher needs to decide which topic is allowed and which has "run its course". That's an absurd judgement call that nobody is qualified to make, so you end up with mods forcing discussions they want to have and cutting off the ones they don't.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fool of sound posted:

Yeah I agree that this is a major problem. The problem is there's a consistent tension between posters who feel that it's unfair when people do not assume good faith on their part, and posters who feel that they shouldn't have to humor people who they have determined to be posting in bad faith. Sometimes these are the same posters. I earnestly don't know how best to deal with this.

Here are two things you can do immediately.

1. If someone is acting like rear end in a top hat to other people, kick them out. "Decorum" is going to come up, but it's pretty clear from a good faith reading that the rest of the thread shouldn't have to constantly deal with the anger management issues of others. Not to mention that posting actual vile poo poo counts as acting like an rear end in a top hat, so you can easily nail the calm hitlers as well. There was a great conversation about the Facebook files in USNews until folks started to insist that if you didn't delete your account right then and there you were responsible and enabling of everything terrible that Facebook corporate was doing. the_steve came in when they found out and told them all to stfu, but that sort of poo poo shouldn't be tolerated in general.

2. Stop allowing people to reframe, restate or just make up out of whole cloth what someone else is saying. It's dishonest at it's core. The games of telephone I see here and elsewhere lead to random admins banning people for no good reason. It immediately pisses people off when their words aren't taken for what they are, you get the inevitable back and forth, and the troll wins by shutting down all useful discussion.

Additionally I'd like to add that "meeting effort with effort" isn't about decorum or word count, it's about supporting your argument when others do the same. It's not fair to anyone to spend time researching and getting sources only to get a shitpost in response. Furthermore, that's how we lose subject matter experts in our threads. The covid thread had a published epidemiologist leave because they were tired of having to constantly debunk poo poo. That's not their job, but because that sort of posting was allowed to continue, we lost a valuable resource.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fool of sound posted:

Because I'm stupid enough to keep believing that people can discuss changes like reasonable adults instead of overgrown children screaming and throwing fruit in the produce isle and challenging the shift manager to a fight.

At this point, though, you're setting limits that go way beyond that. You're basically saying that people are only allowed to directly address the mods in one-on-one conversations in front of everyone.

fool of sound posted:

the problem has always been when some motherfuckers get tilted or see some low-hanging fruit and start talking ten times louder and more frequently than everyone else

it sucks all the oxygen out of every other discussion, because in the time it takes for someone to make one decent effortful post, the folks slinging poop have made twenty posts, so every other subject gets crowded out by sheer numbers because no one wants to hunt through pages of angry dogpile to find the 1-2 posts per page that are actually about other things

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Demod epic high five

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
isnt it wonderful that i cannot comment on any of this yet?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Question for mods: Are there any reasons to not have 10-minute slow rolls for threads like usnews, or across dnd altogether?

That would seem to allow people to not get drawn into slapfighting, facilitate cooldowns, and react less emotionally.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fool of sound posted:

The admins have made very clear that they do not want us to do this unless the poster is a really egregious case. We've had a few people get warnings in D&D, a even fewer get punished for them.
Who determines what is an "egregious case"? Have you tried to push harder and then had admins admonish you for it? Based on how they post in QCS, it seems like they'd really rather not be involved at all, so from the outside looking in it doesn't look like it'd be that hard to tighten the reigns on that poo poo.

If they're actually more involved behind the scenes, I'd present the admins with a plan for getting it under control. Basically "We've come to the conclusion that some posters have learned to abuse the report button to play the refs, so we'd like permission to be slightly more trigger happy with reversals of fortune for a couple of months until people stop doing that poo poo." I don't think it'd be the first time the mods crack down on a certain kind of posting, and hell, it's not like the people likely to be hit have a lot of support outside their own little group. If you mods decided to do a little crackdown they'd find basically no support in QCS at the very least.

If the admins aren't up for it, you should just go on strike and stop modding.

e: Actually, it's not like you need it to be like a total reversal of fortune with like 3 day probations or anything. "Trying to play the ref. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours." would get the message across eventually.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 26, 2021

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Why does this really matter? Why does 2 or 3 different groups of people having 2 or 3 different discussions in the same thread a problem? If you don't want to be part of one discussion, just skip over it. If you miss something important, you can just scroll up. CSPAM manages multiple political discussions in the same thread all the time. It works out fine.

It's this line of thinking that promotes biased enforcement because if there are two topics with only one allowed then some button pusher needs to decide which topic is allowed and which has "run its course". That's an absurd judgement call that nobody is qualified to make, so you end up with mods forcing discussions they want to have and cutting off the ones they don't.

It's not a problem until the aforementioned throw down, then, as Main Paineframe says, that argument utterly overtakes the thread with low-quality posts. As for the latter I understand your point; the judgement call isn't always consistent by any means, but on the other hand this is a forum, it is meant to support multiple threads. We don't have nested threads like reddit or twitter; creating new threads is the support and intended method of siloing conversations. The Afghanistan thread, and most others, indicate that the silo'd conversations tend to have a much better signal:noise ratio.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Question for mods: Are there any reasons to not have 10-minute slow rolls for threads like usnews, or across dnd altogether?

That would seem to allow people to not get drawn into slapfighting, facilitate cooldowns, and react less emotionally.

The reason for this was that we implemented it at the time USpol, but it was widely unpopular so we turned it back off.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

USPol being popular also seems like your biggest headache so you might have the solution there.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

fool of sound posted:

The reason for this was that we implemented it at the time USpol, but it was widely unpopular so we turned it back off.

If probes for petty poo poo in USPOL would stop and it went to a 5-10 minute posting timer I think it would be a legitimately enjoyable place to read and participate in again.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Who determines what is an "egregious case"? Have you tried to push harder and then had admins admonish you for it? Based on how they post in QCS, it seems like they'd really rather not be involved at all, so from the outside looking in it doesn't look like it'd be that hard to tighten the reigns on that poo poo.

If they're actually more involved behind the scenes, I'd present the admins with a plan for getting it under control. Basically "We've come to the conclusion that some posters have learned to abuse the report button to play the refs, so we'd like permission to be slightly more trigger happy with reversals of fortune for a couple of months until people stop doing that poo poo." I don't think it'd be the first time the mods crack down on a certain kind of posting, and hell, it's not like the people likely to be hit have a lot of support outside their own little group. If you mods decided to do a little crackdown they'd find basically no support in QCS at the very least.

If the admins aren't up for it, you should just go on strike and stop modding.

Let just say there's a lot of tension about policy in regards to the politics forums. Hopefully we'll get the refined sitewide rules and published mod guidelines at some point.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fool of sound posted:

Let just say there's a lot of tension about policy in regards to the politics forums. Hopefully we'll get the refined sitewide rules and published mod guidelines at some point.
Appreciate the transparency, we've definitely been getting weird signals forever at this point. At least there being tensions behind the scenes explains some of it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

fool of sound posted:

My feedback is that this thread is a very good encapsulation and example of some of the larger issues with moderation in the subforum. It featured

• unnecessarily rigid initial constraints from one mod
  • a second mod coming in with guns blazing and breaking the rules the first mod set
  • a third mod taking a somehow simultaneously high road tone but including a paternalistic "now listen here you little shits" preamble

I'm not saying this because I love drama or am trying to "wage ideological warfare", I'm saying this because your mod team is so dysfunctional that this is how conducting community feedback goes, with three different and contradictory sets of guidance offered and an insanely unnecessary level of vitriol from 2/3 of the mods involved. Of course the discourse itf is toxic and weird, the rules are a confusing and variably enforced muddle and the mod team doesn't agree with itself about how to interact with civility toward the community it governs. What other outcome do you expect?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ram dass in hell posted:

My feedback is that this thread is a very good encapsulation and example of some of the larger issues with moderation in the subforum. It featured

• unnecessarily rigid initial constraints from one mod
  • a second mod coming in with guns blazing and breaking the rules the first mod set
  • a third mod taking a somehow simultaneously high road tone but including a paternalistic "now listen here you little shits" preamble

I'm not saying this because I love drama or am trying to "wage ideological warfare", I'm saying this because your mod team is so dysfunctional that this is how conducting community feedback goes, with three different and contradictory sets of guidance offered and an insanely unnecessary level of vitriol from 2/3 of the mods involved. Of course the discourse itf is toxic and weird, the rules are a confusing and variably enforced muddle and the mod team doesn't agree with itself about how to interact with civility toward the community it governs. What other outcome do you expect?

Yeah, I came in way hotter than I should have, I apologize, especially towards the people making an effort to remain productive and civil. I just came back to the thread which had grown 300 posts since I last looked at it, a lot of which was garbage (and which Commie did not help with) and was frustrated.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I am curious about just what percentage of DnD traffic is entirely USPol. 40%? 60%? All the mods are USPol posters, almost of the participants itt are USPol posters. Most of the other threads barely have more than a handful of posts per week.

At what point does a single thread account for such a large proportion of the a subforum's readership that it becomes synonymous with the forum itself?

Edited to omit quotes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think the problem is that the mods seem to be taking all rules of a properly functioning system, legislative executive and judicial, into a single chaotic group

D&D seems like the first and best place to roll out a new method of handling punishments that go beyond sixers, The Poster's Court. I have over 5 years of experience as an administrative law judge providing the much lauded constitutional right to Due Process to the public and would be glad to help guide you through the process of establishing policy guidelines and finding volunteer judges in the legal questions thread from A/T.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I can't see posters law court with out thinking

:doink:

Im sorry im sorry.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think foolofsounds idea of more open forward modding is the better option ideally, I just think they and the other mods they've worked with have done that and then made the wrong decision basically every single time and it's why the forum over all has grown more angry and insular and screaming over the last few years.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

fool of sound posted:

How long ago was this, and how long was it tried? What were the main objections to it?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Willa Rogers posted:

How long ago was this, and how long was it tried? What were the main objections to it?

People had to wait to fight their posting enemies. I personally am in favor of slow mode in US news.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I am curious about just what percentage of DnD traffic is entirely USPol. 40%? 60%? All the mods are USPol posters, almost of the participants itt are USPol posters. Most of the other threads barely have more than a handful of posts per week.

At what point does a single thread account for such a large proportion of the a subforum's readership that it becomes synonymous with the forum itself?

Edited to omit quotes.

Roughly half, like I said a couple posts ago. Honestly I only was a USPol poster because I got asked to IK it specifically (and to a lesser extent the PoliToons thread because I was a regular poster there) after posting in the 2020 primary thread and the feedback thread at the time. Once I was made a full mod I stopped reading it regularly, since it's extremely difficult to keep up with. In general, a lot of mods ended up being USpol regulars because they were selected to be USpol IKs, since that what we needed the most of.

There's a reason I've made "getting people to make and post in more threads" a goal for the last year or so. There's also a reason prior crops of D&D mods have tried to kill off USpol in various ways. Having a single all encompassing thunderdome thread for the US produces worse discussion than focused threads and is bad for educational utility and accessibility of the forum in general. However, there are a lot of D&D lurkers who read USpol/news as a sort of curated news feed plus editorial section, and who are extremely adamant about keeping it around. The transition to USnews, alongside the new thread-thread and the loosening of traditional D&D OP expectations was supposed to give both us and users more space for focused threads, without the usual cry of "oh and is six pages of arguing about vaping not US Politics??" but we lost a bunch of IKs and mods shortly after the transition and it never really took.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

It was some time ago now, shortly after the option to do so was implemented. It lasted a few months. The hope was that it would cut down on low effort slapfights and white noise because it would A) give people more time to cool off, B) give people more time to write their posts, and C) give the mods more time to respond to slapfights before they overtook the entire thread. I think it helped a little, but it also did result in a lot of edit wars in posts, which made conversations difficult to follow, and it annoyed posters who were trying to participate constructively in two or three conversations at a time, like USpol typically does.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

fool of sound posted:

Yeah, I came in way hotter than I should have, I apologize, especially towards the people making an effort to remain productive and civil. I just came back to the thread which had grown 300 posts since I last looked at it, a lot of which was garbage (and which Commie did not help with) and was frustrated.

This has been brought up time and time again whenever feedback threads crop up in QCS or D&D or indeed anywhere on the forums when posters have finally had enough of 'x' and momentum appears to be growing that it might actually change.

Anger is the result of months, sometimes even years, of people feeling like they've been ignored. That no-one is listening to them and in fact seeing things just get worse and worse. This is the what, third? thread about how poor the moderation in D&D is in a short space of time and each time the response is: 'We're working on it, theres new rules coming. We're taking on board what you say and we'll try and do better'.

And then it isn't. Maybe one mod is changed. The overall experience of the forum remains exactly the same because the structural reasons for it remain the same and everything boils over again. Except next time some of the posters who are productive and civil in this one won't be. Because whats the point?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
In all honestly, USPOL is the reason I come to D&D. Let it be what it is, stop probing people for little stuff, probe people longer for big stuff, and let it ride. Yeah, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, but where else can we go to hash this poo poo out?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

My biggest issue I can remember personally having with post timers in threads isn't really the timer itself, but that I remember it leading to people editing their posts multiple times, adding in responses to posts above and below, and it quickly feeling like I'd be constantly missing new replies because they'd get edited in above my last read post, and it really sucked. I'm not sure it's an easy problem to fix, or enforce if you tried to make it against the rules, but I'm also not a button pusher so maybe I'm off the mark there. Posting timers didn't stick around long but that's what I remember the most about the issue.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Presenting my thoughts as an unordered list:

A)
Despite even the recent efforts of the mod team, misinformation and disinformation in the threads is still a problem. Less of a problem, but it's still popping up here and there. The bullshit asymmetry principle tells us that it takes a lot more work to correct the record than it takes to spout misinformation, and the backfire effect tells us that those same attempts to correct the record can have the perverse effect of making the misinformation more widely believed. The most reliable solution to this problem is to prevent misinformation from being posted in the first place. So, (hey I just met you, and this is craaazy, but) if a poster can't stop posting falsehoods and bullshit and keeps getting called out for it, threadban them maybe?

B)
I think if we learned one thing from the whole Fancy Pelosi business, it's that the assumption of good faith is too easy to abuse and that demonstrating bad faith to the extent that it's actionable is currently too hard to achieve. Fancy Pelosi is an obvious example of a poster everyone knew was a troll but no one could prove it, but this has been a long-standing issue. It took months to ramp posters with rapsheets longer than any D&D post for trolling and being incredibly aggro about it. In a certain, active thread (the mods who read it know of which thread and of which posts I speak), we had one poster edge alarmingly close to holocaust denial and another poster say they could lie and get away with it when asked a question, and when pressed to answer the question, lied in a way that was obvious to anyone paying attention. These posters were not posting while lib, quite the opposite in fact. Neither has been probed. Right now, unless it's undeniable, e.g. admitting you're a troll, no action is taken. This, I think, needs to change.

C)
I see a problem with threadbans and forumbans, although until there's support from admins and Jeffrey to implement much longer probes or permas, thread/forumbans are all we got. The problem I see with thread/forumbans is that different forums often have threads on the same topic. D&D and GBS both have COVID and China threads and, although there are different emphases on what information is discussed, the posting culture of the threads in each forum isn't that different. I say this because right now if a poster gets threadbanned or forumbanned from one, they can just move their lovely posts to the other. Now, ideally, they would eventually be threadbanned again, but 1) we know that their posting on that topic sucks already, 2) this creates a perverse incentive where posters can just go to the least strict parent (so to speak) and plead to continue posting badly, which ultimately means their posting on the whole doesn't improve at all. I realize this only applies to a limited number of threads that share topics with GBS or SAL or whatnot, but it's nonetheless a weakness of the threadban system that should be addressed. One solution (the simplest one and the easiest to implement and the one most consistent with the history of SA moderation) is to just bring back long probes and permas for bad posting. If that's not an option, open a channel with the GBS mods to share information about who got threadbanned from threads with shared topics, and why, so IKs and mods know to be on the lookout. D&D and CSPAM mods already share a discord, so I assume they do this already.

D)
There was a lot of discussion about tweets early in the thread. My long-standing position has been that hot takes by twitter nobodies should be banned (if you agree with the hot take, just say it yourself) and summaries of all other tweets should be required, but I see the utility in a blanket ban. A blanket ban is more consistent, easier to enforce, and avoids any possible perception of bias. If the mods go in that direction I won't complain.

E)

Professor Beetus posted:

So no, I'm not going to ban or kick out any layperson who doesn't show up with their advanced medical degree in hand, and frankly if you have a cherished off site without the stink of the teeming masses, maybe that's a better place for you to post anyway.
As someone who recently got their PhD, who just spent years of their life working 60+ hours a week for well less than a living wage, I gotta ask: "Stink of the teeming masses?" Do you really see field experts with that level of disdain? Just because I spent years of my life working on one project and developing a set of skills necessary to do that work doesn't make me better than anyone, and it's really insulting to imply I and others believe the opposite. If that's really how you see people who've been in academia or medicine I'll refrain from posting in or reading threads you IK.

No one is asking for credentialing. That opens the door to doxxing and I'd rather just not. There has been a long-running issue in D&D with field experts getting run off SA because they don't tow the party line or due to general disdain for people knowledgeable in that subject (see the spat about economists a few feedback threads ago), among other things. I just really hope you're not insinuating what it sounds like you are, because if you are insinuating that, then you're part of the problem.

F)
This is my most important point.
The vast majority of people who post in the USNews and related threads regularly don't post to wage forums wars or treat the threads like some ideological battleground. They post to discuss and share information about politics and policy and law. I understand threads outside the USNews sphere have the same posting culture. The "Debate" in Debate and Discussion, in other words, implies a much more adversarial atmosphere than exists here most of the time, and certainly a much more hostile atmosphere than posters actually want. I don't know if moving the forum under the GBS umbrella (as was suggested) is really necessary. However, rebranding back to Current Events, or (if getting new art for the website and app is not currently feasible) replacing Debate with another word, like Discourse or Dialogue or Digression (or whatever) seems like a good way to present ourselves. Hopefully a title that reflects the culture of the place will signal to people how to post before they go full aggro.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

fool of sound posted:

Because I'm stupid enough to keep believing that people can discuss changes like reasonable adults instead of overgrown children screaming and throwing fruit in the produce isle and challenging the shift manager to a fight.

I’d like to point out that while this and the QCS thread were super active, USNews became mostly chill and good.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Sarcastr0 posted:

I’d like to point out that while this and the QCS thread were super active, USNews became mostly chill and good.

I have noted this as well and I feel like the same occured when the grudge thread was open

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

fool of sound posted:

There's a reason I've made "getting people to make and post in more threads" a goal for the last year or so. There's also a reason prior crops of D&D mods have tried to kill off USpol in various ways. Having a single all encompassing thunderdome thread for the US produces worse discussion than focused threads and is bad for educational utility and accessibility of the forum in general. However, there are a lot of D&D lurkers who read USpol/news as a sort of curated news feed plus editorial section, and who are extremely adamant about keeping it around. The transition to USnews, alongside the new thread-thread and the loosening of traditional D&D OP expectations was supposed to give both us and users more space for focused threads, without the usual cry of "oh and is six pages of arguing about vaping not US Politics??" but we lost a bunch of IKs and mods shortly after the transition and it never really took.
You're fighting an uphill battle against the User Control Panel here, and I don't know if that's a fight you can win.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sarcastr0 posted:

Which was part of why the Blow thread was started, the hope was people could work out their anxiety and some of their shitposting in there and it did work, briefly. Then it turned into everyone turning on one another and we had to close it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Anger is the result of months, sometimes even years, of people feeling like they've been ignored. That no-one is listening to them and in fact seeing things just get worse and worse. This is the what, third? thread about how poor the moderation in D&D is in a short space of time and each time the response is: 'We're working on it, theres new rules coming. We're taking on board what you say and we'll try and do better'.

I can personally guarantee you that the mods and admins read and discuss the feedback. Not agreeing with some of the points made, or not agreeing on course of action to be taken is not failing to listen. Further, very little of what's happening here is urgent or has any meaningful consequences when poor decision are made. Threats of self-harm are urgent, harassment or doxxing is urgent, posters committing real life violence is urgent. The wrong people getting sixers is not. It is something we want to improve, because we like D&D and would not have agreeing to volunteer our time here if we didn't want to try to make it better, but a bunch of people doing the digital equivalent of throwing tomatoes is worthless.