Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
I really liked the way the original System Shock did it, back in the 90s - for each of the four gameplay elements, they could be toggled between low, medium and high I think.
Story - no quest time limits, normal limits, or tighter time limits
Combat - non aggressive enemies, normal, or harder enemies
Puzzles - easy, normal or hard
Cyberspace - no combat in cyberspace and no time limits, normal, or hard combat and tighter time limits

Over 20 years later and still games don't do it this way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

thecluckmeme posted:

This singlehandedly will make me play the game. I love the genre it's in, but thassalophobia wrecks me.

I had no idea I had this until I played this game. Like zero inkling I had a problem with it until that first shrieking fishmonster came blasting out of the darkness at me. I really enjoy the game but I am struggling to turn it back on again.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I really like how Subnautica can reveal different types of Agoraphobia that players have.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

I really like how Subnautica can reveal different types of Agoraphobia that players have.

The Outer Wilds, too. I started up the game, dealt with the zero g cave, got into the spaceship, and the first two planets I went too besides the moon are the one that is a giant hurricane and the one that is collapsing. Died immediately on both, and several other times just accidentally loving up and flying into the sun

After all of that scaring the poo poo out of me, I was basically the picture of SpongeBob sitting at the table with a coffee. Silently accepting that maybe I should just go play an escape room game or something

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Technically Outer Wilds counts as that I think

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Whoa, I'm so glad to learn this about Subnautica! I've been avoiding playing the game for this very reason, but welp, looks like I can start playing tonight.

(It was watching Finding Nemo in a movie theater that did me in -- the part where they go down into the abyss had me white-knuckling the armrests, feeling my throat close up. I had to keep telling myself, "It's okay, they're fish, they can breathe," to calm down. Never thought to tell myself they're cartoons and none of this is real.) :coolfish:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Really wish the Subnautica sequel leaned into the dark thalassophobic aspect

Instead we got penguins and a scooter

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Really wish the Subnautica sequel leaned into the dark thalassophobic aspect

Instead we got penguins and a scooter

Favorite little thing in the game: penguins
Thing dragging the game down: that scooter loving sucked.

In conclusion, subnautica below zero is a land of contrasts

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thecluckmeme posted:

This singlehandedly will make me play the game. I love the genre it's in, but thassalophobia wrecks me. If I can see the big scary thing, but know 100% it's just a big ol' puppy thanks to console commands, I can do the rest of the stuff I like.

I've learned over the past few years that what I really like in video games is all of the exploration, storytelling, and puzzles of horror games. I just don't like the horror anymore. :(

If you haven't tried it yet I would recommend the horror game Soma which also eventually put out a patch that lets you turn off monster aggression so now they just kind of wander around but don't do anything to you.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

If you haven't tried it yet I would recommend the horror game Soma which also eventually put out a patch that lets you turn off monster aggression so now they just kind of wander around but don't do anything to you.

I watched a playthrough already, and because of that playthrough/setting i actually bought and played most of the new Amnesia, since you turn it into a puzzle game instead. Surprise! It turns off the roaming scares, not the scripted cutscene ones! :haw:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The old metroidvania Aquaria also had some deep deep sea stuff for people who want more.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The spawn rates in the current version of Minecraft on Switch are just insane and it's definitely not the first time it's happened.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Just play Eco the Dolphin and understand true fear.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Outer Wilds is scary in a good way. I get really unsettled by big scary objects floating in empty space - so the black hole or underwater in Giant's Deep are terrifying. Ditto for Elite Dangerous neutron stars.

Not sure what it comes from but loads of people get it. I love diving IRL so I don't think it's an ocean thing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Strategic Tea posted:

Outer Wilds is scary in a good way. I get really unsettled by big scary objects floating in empty space - so the black hole or underwater in Giant's Deep are terrifying. Ditto for Elite Dangerous neutron stars.

Not sure what it comes from but loads of people get it. I love diving IRL so I don't think it's an ocean thing.

It's just natural human evolution. Early humans that were naturally scared of black holes were able to pass their genes on while those without that fear died at the event horizon. :biotruths:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the only thing I found spooky about Outer Wilds was the Dark Bramble. had to more or less take my hands off the controller and look away from the screen when coasting through there. the openness of space doesn't really do anything to set me off, but make it ocean-esque and hoo boy I'm outta there. I remember one time I was exploring vashj'ir in WoW and accidentally stumbled on just a big dark cave with nothing else really around me. had to close my eyes and hearthstone out. idk what it is about water, man

no chance in hell I'm playing Subnautica lmao

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Kaubocks posted:

no chance in hell I'm playing Subnautica lmao

So you start off and there’s a pretty ocean with weird fish and hey look, coral reefs! A couple small bitey fish but you can just swim away from them.

Then the game tells you that you need to go fix the reactor on the big ship you crashed in. Hey, no problemo. I’m on my way. Then the water gets murkier and deeper plus you can’t see so far in front of you anymore and that’s ok but what’s this?

At that point the deafening inhuman underwater shrieking starts and a giant horrorshow as big as a freight train that looks like a cross between that eel from super Mario and the predator comes hurtling out of the darkness at some impossible speed and thankfully I managed to quit from the pause menu before it closed the last 50 feet to me or so.

And that is how Subnautica ends.
Apologies for spoilers.

Pretty good game. You can make cool bases. Kinda short though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah it is really hard to describe. The openess of space is fine but put me next to something MASSIVE in it, like celestial size (and god forbid it is moving) :ohno:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

At that point the deafening inhuman underwater shrieking starts and a giant horrorshow as big as a freight train that looks like a cross between that eel from super Mario and the predator comes hurtling out of the darkness at some impossible speed and thankfully I managed to quit from the pause menu before it closed the last 50 feet to me or so.

And that is how Subnautica ends.
:gonk:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah it is really hard to describe. The openess of space is fine but put me next to something MASSIVE in it, like celestial size (and god forbid it is moving) :ohno:

I know this feeling, especially in X3. Sure, the various space buildings are bigger than you in every other faction. Then you go into the terran sectors and everything is so loving HUGE.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

I'm the opposite. It's probably something about the abstractness of the horrors that elevates them. Or maybe playing too much Dark Souls has awoken a primal fear of anything relating to gravity in me.

I liked Outer Wilds (what little i managed to see first-hand), but i couldn't play it. Even just lifting off from Timber Hearth makes me nervous and sweaty because i fear i'm just going to crash full bore into the moon that'll just so happen to fly over my head that moment. I didn't get any meaningful exploration done on the crumbling planet with a loving black hole as its core because my stress levels were through the roof. I'm pretty sure the first time i fell off i instinctively crossed my arms across my eyes. I neer even landed on Giant's Deep because blindly barreling into the opaque atmosphere of what looks like a gas giant with no clue what's down there, and maybe getting a fistful of island to the face while you're orbiting it? gently caress that.
When i tried to explore the Interloper (comet orbiting the sun), i made it a point to try to return to my ship early before it flies too close to the sun. So as i was on my way back, trying to find my ship again, everything got real bright, i started to hear the ice beneath my feet cracking and melting and i thought "Oh poo poo oh poo poo, i should still have time left!!!" and hauled rear end. And when i was only like 15 steps away from my ship, i saw something huge and red passing over my head, in the same moment that me and MY ENTIRE SHIP were lifted off the ground by the gravity of the hissing and crackling inferno above.

At that point i just put my hands in front of my eyes, stood up and walked out of the room. And that was the end of me playing Outer Wilds.

I have completed Subnautica, and successfully knife-fought several Leviathans and a Ghost Leviathan and just about every other hostile creature in the game. The shock of getting attacked in that game just gives me an adrenaline boost for my fight reflex and makes me want to beat them.
You can't knife-fight the SUN. That'll only ever be a flight reflex.

When i came back to Outer Wilds a minute or two later, i actually found myself floating in space - alive and relatively well. My ship was also drifting around a certain distance away, too. Turns out, i made it back early enough. It wasn't the sun that came too close, it was the angry perma-spewing red-hot laval volcano moon of one of the other planets that passed so close to where i parked my ship on the comet that its gravity flung me off.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Learning about strange new phobias itt. I quit Subnautica just because it was boring as gently caress. These kind of games always seem cool but they just don't work for me I guess.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

They not celestial or astronomical sized.

Theyre oceanic or leviathan sized.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The proper term is, sadly, abyssal! I'm sorry you know that now!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's a size thing, for me, as well as water. Like, absolutely hate Giants Deep, the black hole, Subnautica depths (though Subnautica and Outer Wilds are two of my favourite games and I've played both of them to finishing), but there's also a level in Homeworld, the space RTS, that takes place in a junkyard, and in the background you can see the remains of a Dyson sphere. It's incredibly far away, it's so large that despite being part of the skybox it still takes up a significant amount of real estate.

I had to face the cera away from it - looking at it got me far too unnerved to play with any sort of strategy, especially if I zoomed out and saw how it utterly dwarfed my ships to an absurd degree.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I just finished most of the Castlevania Anniversary Collection, and I gotta say, despite a lot of awesome design on display I am really glad that for the most part the idea of “you’re more powerful until something hits you” is largely dead in games nowadays.

It’s one thing in a game like Super Mario Bros where it doubles up as your lifebar, but in Castlevania you basically end up with the game being harder as a result of every mistake you make, meaning the difficulty curve is actively fighting against you. Makes sense for quarter munchers I guess, but for home console games? Good. Fuckin. Riddance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HenryEx posted:

You can't knife-fight the SUN. That'll only ever be a flight reflex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFdsyy96Jw&t=24s

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Morpheus posted:

It's a size thing, for me, as well as water. Like, absolutely hate Giants Deep, the black hole, Subnautica depths (though Subnautica and Outer Wilds are two of my favourite games and I've played both of them to finishing), but there's also a level in Homeworld, the space RTS, that takes place in a junkyard, and in the background you can see the remains of a Dyson sphere. It's incredibly far away, it's so large that despite being part of the skybox it still takes up a significant amount of real estate.

I had to face the cera away from it - looking at it got me far too unnerved to play with any sort of strategy, especially if I zoomed out and saw how it utterly dwarfed my ships to an absurd degree.

I had the same issue with Resident Evil: Village. There's a vampire who's so huge that if she stepped on me my tiny pathetic body would be completely destroyed

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I had the same issue with Resident Evil: Village. There's a vampire who's so huge that if she stepped on me my tiny pathetic body would be completely destroyed

I've got some bad news for you about the big vampire lady...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:chast2b:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

"problem"

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you want a vision of the future...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HenryEx posted:

I liked Outer Wilds (what little i managed to see first-hand), but i couldn't play it. Even just lifting off from Timber Hearth makes me nervous and sweaty because i fear i'm just going to crash full bore into the moon that'll just so happen to fly over my head that moment.
To be fair that's an entirely realistic fear mostly due to the spacecraft controls' learning curve.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Outer Wilds has been my favourite game of the last 2 or so years, moving around just felt so good. For me, it had a dreamlike quality being able to fly to different planets quickly and jumping around and floating with your jetback in low gravity. I don't know, I loved everything about it. It gave me a sense of freedom no other game has. (I guess Spiderman comes closest.)

Except for Dark Bramble, but while definitely discomforting in a primal sense I was more frustrated than anything.

Now put me in a tight enclosed space with no obvious open exits and I'm noping the gently caress outta there. gently caress escape rooms, literally one of my biggest fears.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The DLC for Outer Wilds has a lot more creepy stuff. It's handled better than Dark Bramble but still isn't great and I think the Low Fright option is both misnamed and the better way to play the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

All this talk of deep-space horror in Outer Wilds is kind of funny to me, because I spent so much time on Kerbal Space Program back in the day that the solar system in OW felt incredibly small and cramped. Which is just as well when you only have twenty minutes or so at a time to explore it.

The game still had a horror-y vibe to me, but it was a more existential horror from the whole situation with the supernova and the time loops. There's smaller things as well, like trying to navigate dark caves while they're filling up with sand, or the moon that moves when you're not looking at it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

Outer Wilds has been my favourite game of the last 2 or so years, moving around just felt so good. For me, it had a dreamlike quality being able to fly to different planets quickly and jumping around and floating with your jetback in low gravity. I don't know, I loved everything about it. It gave me a sense of freedom no other game has. (I guess Spiderman comes closest.)

Except for Dark Bramble, but while definitely discomforting in a primal sense I was more frustrated than anything.

Dark Bramble was the most peaceful planet for me and the only one i managed to fully explore before i uninstalled the game :v: It's like a little room with clearly defined borders and walls that protect me from the insane dangers of space around me, and the threats can be outsmarted instead of being unfeeling uncaring forces of spacetime

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

HenryEx posted:

Dark Bramble was the most peaceful planet for me and the only one i managed to fully explore before i uninstalled the game :v: It's like a little room with clearly defined borders and walls that protect me from the insane dangers of space around me, and the threats can be outsmarted instead of being unfeeling uncaring forces of spacetime

Making one of the leads into Dark Bramble a distress beacon that you track with a soundscope and the noise it emits being so loving eerie was absolutely perfect. Every single lead into it was unnerving. Like the seed on Timber Hearth which you can send a probe through and it gives you a glimpse of a giant anglerfish skeleton. Or following the sound of Feldspar's harmonica which brings you straight to that same skeleton. And then popping into a hole in one of the...vines? roots? and following it to a frozen chamber completely unlike everything else that hints at what Dark Bramble might've been at one point

Actually, now that I looked it up, I never realized that there actually is an anglerfish in the first chamber of Dark Bramble. I never ran into it because I was always being guided by something but I'm glad to know I was flying with a clenched butthole for a reason

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Ditto for Elite Dangerous neutron stars.

Mostly these don't really bug me anymore, except for the ones that rotate so rapidly that the jet is extremely broad and turbulent, makes charging up the engines really tense.

Black holes are still bad though, especially when you jump to a system with one and don't realize it's there. I get close enough, start noticing the gravitational lensing and then just immediately grind to a halt to make sure I know exactly where it is. They don't even seem to be that dangerous, just unsettling and weird.

White dwarfs are the absolute worst stellar object in Elite though. I've had a single close encounter with one and that was enough. I wasn't even that close to it, but the gravity well and heat were so strong that it was a pain to get away from it. I almost lost hours of progress. Hate it when I see one in a system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More Control. I seriously cannot find the DLC. I was given the Ultimate Edition. I've confirmed through Steam that I have the Ultimate Edition. I beat the base game. And I cannot figure out how to activate the DLC. I'm told that one's a button in the elevator and one's a quest in the Executive Sector, but I sure am not seeing anything.