Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

So, Scarlet Nexus?

Kinda, but with Soft Cell and Blue Oyster Cult on the soundtrack, so cooler. And a space tree instead of anime teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

So, Scarlet Nexus?

It has a fair number of similarities, yeah.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm more interested now.

Scarlet Nexus lost me a bit when the roster expanded. I don't care about these new jerks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm more interested now.

Scarlet Nexus lost me a bit when the roster expanded. I don't care about these new jerks.

Basically it functions similar to Scarlet Nexus. You control Star Lord who has his own distinct set of abilities while the other characters fight as AI, but each character has 4 different abilities they can use in combat. (Groot can tie people down, Gamora is strong single target damage, Drax is usually high stagger damage, Rocket is AoE) which you can use freely. Using one ability puts the character on cooldown for a relatively short period of time. Each character also has an ultimate ability that charges separately but has a longer cooldown.

Starlord gets temporarily invincibility, Gamora gets Omnislash, Drax gets a berserker rage mode, Rocket gets a giant gun and Groot gets a full party heal that also can trigger automatically if Star Lord dies.

Also you get a bunch of costumes for each character including the objectively best costume where Star Lord has loving awful 80's hair and clothing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I really like the voice actor for Gamora, gives me some Lake Bell as Poison Ivy vibes

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I REALLY dislike Peter’s VO but everyone else seems pretty good

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Welp, a little soured because I got softlocked in chapter 3 The second bridge, I told Drax not to yeet Rocket and then the game won't let me walk into the obvious shimmy gap to the right so I can't progress

Gonna give it a day or two in case a workaround/patch happens, but I don't wanna have to start the whole game over

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The game rules. It's funny and touching.

I think this just goes to show that Avengers was ruined by the GAAS poo poo. Guardians is what Avengers should have been.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So far the quick time boss in guardians has killed me more than any of the combat. Aside from that, yeah game good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I only just started, but strong Mass Effect vibes so far in the basic "talk to your bros on spaceship, then go shoot stuff planetside" gameplay loop.

Also I spent half of the sequence on the Hala's Hope thinking "that is 100% Peter's kid" and was pleasantly surprised when the dialogue option popped up, not just to confirm it, but to confirm that the writers knew we'd be making that connection and they weren't going to have us spending half the game thinking the main character was stupid because he'd failed to pick up on something we had.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I've been enjoying the game immensely as a fun romp through space. I really like the banter with the other guardians, Rocket especially as while he may be a miserable dick, if you manage to trigger some alternate conversations with him you get to hear his non MCU sanitized backstory and the voice actor does a loving great job with the anguish and rage

Only bugs I've seen is a couple times where I got stuck at a door I was supposed to go through but would not open in anyway. When I reload it turns out a cutscene didn't play and then it's fine.

Had that happen 2 or 3 times.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm in love with Lady Hellbender.

That is all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

I'm in love with Lady Hellbender.

That is all.

WE KNOW DRAX

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I hope it's a Kingo game

https://twitter.com/amy_hennig/status/1454120848298676230

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It's Legacy of Kain 6 thinly disguised as an Excalibur game.

:pray:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Presto's Risk, now with more war crimes

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Waffleman_ posted:

Presto's Risk, now with more war crimes

idgi what's Presto's Risk, Google turned up nothing relevant to gaming

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I forgot we were talking about video games and made a joke about the board game Risk and the Eternal that did Hiroshima

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I wish someone would make an Elric game. Seems like it could be a cool cross between The Witcher and Legacy of Kain.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
am i the only having trouble remembering the difference between skybound and skydance

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skydance games has the person who helped with the Uncharted games. So I'm guessing it'll probably be some single character game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

am i the only having trouble remembering the difference between skybound and skydance

No, I had to check if it was Kirkman's company too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm really impressed how fun Guardians is. If Avengers had been the same way, well, that would have made it a game I bought.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Finished Guardians of the Galaxy last weekend. Overall, the game reminded me the most of Arkham Asylum. Not as being the exact same type of game, but how it manages to exactly capture the feel that a franchise has and has tailored the gameplay entirely to it. I laughed out loud more than once, it has some really good heartfelt moments, and it kept up momentum all the way to the end.

Maybe a bit too overpriced at $60 for 14 hours, but I had a great time with it, so do consider it money well-spent.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Midnight Suns has been delayed to the second half of 2022.

https://twitter.com/midnightsuns/status/1455989461309820931

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

After Cyberpunk 2077 I can only agree with wanting more time for a game to ripen on the vine, of course now I just hope it's enough time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Beat Guardians. Good, not great -- too janky, bit short, plot seemed to skip beats here and there. But pretty good!

Also either I did the final boss fight against Grand Unifier Raker wrong or it just loving sucked. No elemental weaknesses? No puzzle elements where you use the knowledge you've been building all game? Not really any use for the Guardians abilities, even? Just a "pour bullets into the bullet sponge and dodge a lot" slog? Disappointing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the new Aliens game worth the time & money

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is the new Aliens game worth the time & money

The one that's basically Left 4 Dead with Aliens? It kind of depends on what your time and money are worth to you.

Do you have two friends that already have it that you can reliably play with? If so, you can probably get a solid weekend out of it.

Otherwise the player base is super small now. You can play with bots and do OK, but you lose out on some of the experience.

It's not a bad game, the look and feel were spot on for me, but I couldn't find a consistent group I meshed with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

After Cyberpunk 2077 I can only agree with wanting more time for a game to ripen on the vine, of course now I just hope it's enough time.

Wasn't it announced for like February too? That did seem a bit unlikely for a game only revealed a couple of months ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K43xpeAmZ-g

He's finally here.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Finally!

A reason to come back to Avengers!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I find it heartening that even the game that has had consistently questionable art direction wasn't able to gently caress up Spider-Man

Not sure about that voice actor, though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it very much helps that usually, no part of Spider-Man's face is actually visible. He isn't Great Value Tom Holland, he's just Spidey.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fun trailer. I guess gameplay footage is still to come?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Finally finished GOTG after a softlock bug forced me to wait for a patch.

I really really liked it, barring the previously covered issue with the penultimate boss and another minor story issue (chapter... 14?)I don't love how the ghost of Ko-Rel in the Soul Gem gives the reveal that Nikki isn't hers by birth. Like, it almost comes off as the kind of tone-deaf writing of someone who literally doesn't consider adoption a legitimate form of parenting. On top of that, there was a missed opportunity to give the dialogue system another payoff there: If Peter's been open to the idea of being a dad throughout the game, you could have her say something like "you're not her dad, Peter... not yet, anyway. You have to help her let me go" vs something like "she needs a friend who's gone through this" if he's been in denial the whole game. I'm actually a little disappointed that they decided to not have her be theirs by birth anyway, like, was that just to preserve the origin of a super obscure character from the original pre-Annihlation Guardians books? I suppose it adds to the found family element a little but it's just this weird little beat that feels at odds with what the stakes are at that point in the story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Finally finished GOTG after a softlock bug forced me to wait for a patch.

I really really liked it, barring the previously covered issue with the penultimate boss and another minor story issue (chapter... 14?)I don't love how the ghost of Ko-Rel in the Soul Gem gives the reveal that Nikki isn't hers by birth. Like, it almost comes off as the kind of tone-deaf writing of someone who literally doesn't consider adoption a legitimate form of parenting. On top of that, there was a missed opportunity to give the dialogue system another payoff there: If Peter's been open to the idea of being a dad throughout the game, you could have her say something like "you're not her dad, Peter... not yet, anyway. You have to help her let me go" vs something like "she needs a friend who's gone through this" if he's been in denial the whole game. I'm actually a little disappointed that they decided to not have her be theirs by birth anyway, like, was that just to preserve the origin of a super obscure character from the original pre-Annihlation Guardians books? I suppose it adds to the found family element a little but it's just this weird little beat that feels at odds with what the stakes are at that point in the story.

I'm not clear how you think they don't think adoption is a legitimate form of parenting. The entire point of that plot is that she considers Nikki her real daughter and was willing to die for her, and by the end Peter also considers her a daughter considering he adopts her and the last sequence in the game is his fretting about being a dad. Like I felt the exact opposite and as incredibly pleased that the resolution was "Peter still views her as a daughter and wants to help her even if she isn't biologically his because she still is his daughter as far as he's concerned."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not clear how you think they don't think adoption is a legitimate form of parenting. The entire point of that plot is that she considers Nikki her real daughter and was willing to die for her, and by the end Peter also considers her a daughter considering he adopts her and the last sequence in the game is his fretting about being a dad. Like I felt the exact opposite and as incredibly pleased that the resolution was "Peter still views her as a daughter and wants to help her even if she isn't biologically his because she still is his daughter as far as he's concerned."

I did some editing as I was writing the post and may have forgotten to elaborate It's the very specific wording that "she's not my daughter" without any real qualifier or pushback that just yanked me out of the scene like: "Really... after raising her for 12 years she's still not your kid in your mind, lady?" I can't picture any adoptive parent wording it like that without clarifying. I just feel like even a single line to clarify that would've made it sit better for me. And could've made the parts you mention about the ending land even more.

I think it jumps out to me because the writing in that scene otherwise is so tight and spot-on.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 15, 2021

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Waffleman_ posted:

He's finally here.

Performing for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For anyone, like me, who was waiting on a price drop Guardians is currently on sale $29 physical $39 digital.