Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

jokes posted:

More of a road warrior thing really

I have been calling the game 2 Dark 2 Dungeon internally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Darkest Dungeon - Survival Horror RPG Wagonride (with flapjacks)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

jokes posted:

She could stun, which was very important since stunning was basically a round of free damage

True, but so can the Occultist, with a greater stun chance and higher likelihood of getting the stun off before the target acted. I found anti eldrich to be more practical.

I liked to build my Occultusts to be demon slayers. Eldrich Hater+Slayer and Deadly quirks, then one shot fishmen with my ceiling spaghetti.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Is the scope of the EA just the one map? Which would mean you get an Inn five minutes into the game and then one after the last encounter? If so, I don't see why they included Inn items at all. Figured this one out.

To that end, why is Whiskey (-2 stress, one target, blocked by Resolution) 12 coins while Pipeweed (-2 stress, 2 targets, small chance at +affinity) 8 coins?

There also seem to be a lot of options to go into combat where one person's option is just to go into the combat, while another's is to go into the combat but give you buffs. Why would I ever choose the former?

Edit: Also sometimes when you have to help the people on the side of the road, one reward is Food Loot and the other is Food Reward. What's the difference?

Edit 2: When you come to a fork in the road some options are gold and some are blue. The UI language of this game tells me that blue is bad and gold is good. Are these modifiers to the encounters along these paths?

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 26, 2021

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
e: nah I’m not going to suggest anything I’m just gonna watch

some things y’all think are bugs are in fact bugs

but some things y’all think are bugs are y’all just needing to git gud

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 26, 2021

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Xibanya posted:

e: nah I’m not going to suggest anything I’m just gonna watch

some things y’all think are bugs are in fact bugs

but some things y’all think are bugs are y’all just needing to git gud
People mentioned the game getting hosed up for good when they tried to change the resolution :ohdear:. I'm scared to accidentally brick my game just trying to fiddle with settings, any suggestions about those issues?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
if anyone has any problems email support@redhookgames.com

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Crasical posted:

The negative relationship poo poo is happenening because you're letting your heroes sit around at 4-5 stress and it's making them bitchy, spam the upgraded versions of Bolster and Ounce of Prevention

Good tip, thanks. Bolster's stress heal isn't guaranteed (though it does cure horror), but Ounce of Prevention is -1 stress on everyone each time it's up which is huge. It seems like performing assistive actions gives you more chances to build positive relationships, so for more selfish classes like the Grave Robber it's probably pertinent to put combat items on them like Laudanum.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Bolster isn't gauranteed but it's also not on a cooldown and gives an improved block token. You should probably just take both.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Mapgen neds some work, it seems silly to have healer spawn with another healer in the next node, or two hoarders in a row. Minor stuff but it matters when every node counts.

I'd also argue that there should be more opportunities for torchlight (and boons for low light like in DD1) since right now there's no downside to staying at full light, and all the downsides in the world (like guaranteed cultist fights) if you let it drop to zero.

DD2 is cool so far, and I want to like it more than I do, but at the moment DD1 just seems mechanically the better and more engaging core gameplay. The fact that maps were pretty quick and you had some real "game-to-game" carryover if you wiped an entire group was a good setup in my opinion.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
To make up for my refusal to discuss anything related to gameplay, I'll offer the tidbit that Wayne's character in the game is obviously not really named Wayne, but we always just refer to that character as Wayne so that is the character's real name in my heart.

However someone else on the team told me that in his headcanon, it's not Wayne June's character who is named Wayne, but rather the wainright. Which would make him Wayne, right?

:rimshot:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I figured his name was 'Darkest' since that's the regale name in the first game when you start a new campaign.

"Lord Darkest was a tyrant, good riddance to him."

"Which dungeon is the treasure hidden in? The Baldwin dungeon?" "No, it's in the Darkest Dungeon, his estate is just down the Old Road."

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
Welp, beat it on my first run. (RIP Dismas)

Comments:
Upgrading skills is super important, just like in DD1. I noticed a huge difference once everyone had key skills upgraded.
The more stressed people are, the more likely they are to bitch at each other causing stress spirals.
I really wish there was a small chance for "a moment of clarity" or something when stress maxes out ala' going virtuous in DD1
Didn't notice any bugs, game seems really polished!
The hero shrines are cool as hell

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Panfilo posted:

Not at all. Like I said, the chance to bleed is low. Focusing on the chance to heal for zero is missing the overall utility of Wyrd Reconstruction. It's like a 95% chance to heal for a positive value at rank 5 and only 3 heroes have a small risk of bleeding from it.
Maybe I'm salty because I lost my first run at the shuffling horror in DD1 when my occultist healed for zero with the shuffling horror on like 7 hp.

5% chance to lose a run seems really high to me. Like, if you have 5 critical instances where you absolutely need a heal to get someone off death's door throughout the game, the chances that your occultist will heal every time is only 77%. 23% of runs will be lost due to the occultist not healing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

it got releas... oh, early access

why games do this to me. why

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Welp, beat it on my first run. (RIP Dismas)

Comments:
Upgrading skills is super important, just like in DD1. I noticed a huge difference once everyone had key skills upgraded.
The more stressed people are, the more likely they are to bitch at each other causing stress spirals.
I really wish there was a small chance for "a moment of clarity" or something when stress maxes out ala' going virtuous in DD1
Didn't notice any bugs, game seems really polished!
The hero shrines are cool as hell

ah, would really like a Virtuous chance for sure.

How long is a run? 4 or 5 locales explored?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I bought this and my installer has a normal version and an "experimental" one. What's the deal?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

rydiafan posted:

I bought this and my installer has a normal version and an "experimental" one. What's the deal?

experimental = latest build
default = known-to-be-stable build

this is common for software releases in active development

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Dik Hz posted:

Maybe I'm salty because I lost my first run at the shuffling horror in DD1 when my occultist healed for zero with the shuffling horror on like 7 hp.

5% chance to lose a run seems really high to me. Like, if you have 5 critical instances where you absolutely need a heal to get someone off death's door throughout the game, the chances that your occultist will heal every time is only 77%. 23% of runs will be lost due to the occultist not healing.

You need to bring secondary healers along with an occultist. He's a great healer but unreliable for death's door saves, like, duh.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Dik Hz posted:

Sure, but if you in that dire straights then chances are you could have a catastrophic failure regardless.

The thing you need to think about is this :sure, you could go with other skills instead of Wyrd Reconstruction. But if a hero is on deaths door and bleeding and its the occultists turn, what then? Unless you can finish the round and immediately bandage+eat food that ally is probably screwed.

It's better to look at Wyrd Reconstruction as a different kind of heal. When an ally is low on health go ahead and use it, more than half the time it'll be better than other healer counterparts. For every time you heal for zero there's another time you heal for 18. I like taking Arb/Occ/HM/BH. In this lineup only the Bounty Hunter lacks a heal and the Occultists heal gets redundancies from Battle Bandage and Lick Wounds. Usually in DD3 I take PD/Occ/anyone/Hell and Occultist and Plague Doctor can keep up the heals just fine

You'd probably like what they did to him in pvp, where he got a new skill "stygian embrace" which heals for 1hp and stealths the target. This is a great panic button but you could only use it twice per battle.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I assume DD2 will have the typical 1 year exclusivity that most Epic storefront games have?

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
I'm liking the game so far, but the meta-game getting neutered was kinda lame. Losing out on upgrading equipment, skills, levels... Like, OK I'm unlocking a handful of things with "hope" but so far it's super underwhelming and I don't get the fun aspect of actually feeling any stronger between runs. And yes, they need to tone down the characters bitching about kill-steals

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kaincypher posted:

I'm liking the game so far, but the meta-game getting neutered was kinda lame. Losing out on upgrading equipment, skills, levels... Like, OK I'm unlocking a handful of things with "hope" but so far it's super underwhelming and I don't get the fun aspect of actually feeling any stronger between runs. And yes, they need to tone down the characters bitching about kill-steals

it's sort of replacing the township aspect with the more common "doing it in runs" that most roguelites have though you do improve your characters on a more individual basis with their story skill unlocks / characters / trinkets and then some. It's def more streamlined this time around but I'm guessing it was to curb some of the grindier aspects and free up the opportunity to put more encounter-based stuff in the game.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

it's sort of replacing the township aspect with the more common "doing it in runs" that most roguelites have though you do improve your characters on a more individual basis with their story skill unlocks / characters / trinkets and then some. It's def more streamlined this time around but I'm guessing it was to curb some of the grindier aspects and free up the opportunity to put more encounter-based stuff in the game.

yeah, I guess my gold standard (like it or hate it) was Hades. Slowly and incrementally getting stronger while exposing just a bit more of the story every few runs was fantastic. I'm pretty happy about how they're doing the Shrines for the heroes in DD2, but I still feel incredibly weak and overpowered by the 2nd or 3rd area. And losing mastery points, trinkets, and having no equipment to upgrade between runs was a real punch to the gut. The Inn items I think were supposed to make up for losing out on camping, but I'm starting pretty 100% fresh between inns (diseases and broken relationships aside, which none of the Inn items address so far). I miss even having the camping skill bonuses. But I digress, amazing potential here, but there's a lot of rough edges that need to be sanded off. Or maybe I'm just a big baby who needs a Radiant Mode already.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You need to bring secondary healers along with an occultist. He's a great healer but unreliable for death's door saves, like, duh.
So he's a great healer, but you need to bring an actual healer if you want to heal someone who really needs healing?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im sure it's just first-day getting-accustomed pains but man, not having a skill to de-stress people is murder----seems like you definitely need to upgrade Bolster/Ounce right off the bat because it's extremely easy to have a party on Friendly terms with no stress, and then suddenly everyone hates each other, You Stole My Kill, meltdown.

I was doing a "find 3 Academics thingies" sidemission for my run and wasn't sure if this meant I had to actually touch the artefact therein----doing so dragged me into a battle that was extremely costly lol, but the fight was a nice callback. Right after that I got ambushed by the Antiquarian's pillagers which was a loving cool and unexpected touch, hoping there are a few more instances of *that thing* later.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's more that you're enocuraged to bring classes like PD, Crusader, or Arbalest along. "0 crit heal bleed" is a meme that will happen a few times during a run, but most of the time he's a competent enough healer, just that specifically for bringing people out of death's door you're gonna want a plan B.

Vestal is the better pure healer no contest because she has an aoe heal, Occultist is just serviceable enough as one, but brings much better stuns and offense, especially if you know you're facing eldritch. Which can be good enough to compensate.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wow game is hard! Still getting used to the mechanics. Wagon steers for poo poo and enemies bombard you with debuffs and expect you to wrap things up in 5 turns. Also enemies have multi target heals RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE. I imagine this is more manageable when you unlock more skills and can take advantage of synergies between skills.

Like Grave Robbers knife throw can ignore evasion if she is stealthed at the time, which is good since that evasion buff pops up on enemies a lot.

I do like that you have access to 5 skills at a time, makes being shoved out of position less of an issue.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this is my favorite screenshot so far if only because of the way it reads with zero punctuation lol. Please do not ever change it.

mods please change thread title to "i dont want to do this but here you go peasants"

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Having played a bit of the sequel, I am both a big fan and convinced things could afford to be tightened up a little. Ambushes on the road being five turns feels like an utter farce, especially when the game throws in something beefy like a Ghoul. It basically turns into your team taking a bunch of hits for five turns, then a single enemy clings to life long enough to deny you even a pittance from the ones you did manage to kill.

Like, I get the idea behind it, and I don't think it should be completely removed, but I wouldn't be shocked if we see enemy counts on road battles getting tinkered with in the near future.

And yes, I know some of this is me needing to Git Gud, but I will still drain my spleen regardless.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah I actually like it when I realized mid-fight that I'm not likely to finish the fight in 5 turns, then switched gear and played the recovery game instead, or the reverse happens due to a lucky crit. It does make the gameplay feel more dynamic. I'm just not sure if some comps, like the Ghoul and Lumberjack comp, is supposed to be beatable in 5 turns or you're just meant to treat it as a survival battle, because it doesn't feel like the former.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
lmao at y’all carping about not being good at darkest dungeon on literally day one of release. did you not read the disclaimer that shows before the title menu which says expect to wipe out several times before you beat it?

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Probe 17 posted:

Having played a bit of the sequel, I am both a big fan and convinced things could afford to be tightened up a little. Ambushes on the road being five turns feels like an utter farce, especially when the game throws in something beefy like a Ghoul. It basically turns into your team taking a bunch of hits for five turns, then a single enemy clings to life long enough to deny you even a pittance from the ones you did manage to kill.

Like, I get the idea behind it, and I don't think it should be completely removed, but I wouldn't be shocked if we see enemy counts on road battles getting tinkered with in the near future.

And yes, I know some of this is me needing to Git Gud, but I will still drain my spleen regardless.

or with the new mechanic, getting to kill the last enemy on turn 5, just to have it proc death's door a bunch of times. Lol.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of enemies getting death's door. Maybe that's a setting you can toggle later

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Darkest Dungeon - Survival Horror RPG Wagonride (with flapjacks)

Darkest Dungeon 2 - Ride or Die

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

The different comments on difficulty level are super interesting to me! On my first playthrough when I got brought onboard I thought it was much, much easier than the first game. But I've always rocked a playstyle very similar to what this PCGamer article suggests in some tips which may or may not be of help.

Meanwhile, my husband has 700+ hours on DD1 and he found it far, far harder than the first game. Did not realise how differently we play it, lol.

Side note, getting to work on your spouse's favourite game is pretty cool :coal:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of enemies getting death's door. Maybe that's a setting you can toggle later

I wouldn't mind it on fights that weren't time sensitive. Or on squishy enemies that get there easily. Or more abilities centered around dealing with this (marks).

The good:

-I like the token system. An easy counter to enemy evasion tokens would be aoe attacks to make the token go away (you could risk a single target attack on a coin toss or a weaker distributed one on multiple buffed targets).

-Some of the new abilities are interesting. Taunt is an actual thing now, not some self mark that is a liability. MaA gets skills that are better if he has a guard or defender token active. Grave Robber gets a bunch of skills that synergies with shadow fade. Highwayman can double tap low health enemies to finish them off. Plague Doctor can sacrifice friendly buffs to get a strong heal.

The bad:

-I was hoping riposte lasted until triggered, but it's still time limited. Should really just last for x attacks instead.

-No weapon /armor improvements? So your base hp and damage can't really improve beyond trinkets?

-A lot more enemies have heals, which is fine in some fights or if there are specific counters but enemies burst healing their allies in turn 4/5 is Un fun.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I’m not allowed to give gameplay tips per comms policy but for those who think the various challenges of the game are impossible, I suggest that instead of thinking of this as a game about winning combat, think of it as a game about solving puzzles.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
The secret to doing well is about managing your stress. It allows you to get and maintain positive relationships which can add a lot of healing, damage, and stress reduction. The first skill you upgrade should be the plague doctor's Ounce of Prevention it's carrying me pretty hard. Buying stress reduction items and removing some of the really bad negative quirks at the hospital are other things I would also suggest to make things easier. I've done 2 runs so far but they've both ended with me beating the boss in The Mountain which got me to profile level 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm not sure I like the current stress/affinity system, actually, I feel it's too snowbally. If you keep your stress below 4 you get positive affinities very quickly and you get so much free healing and buffs, otherwise you quickly doom spiral, getting negative points for doing basic things like killing the enemy.

I'm currently just coasting on my run because the whole party has positive affinities with each other and I wonder if that's intended