Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lord Stimperor posted:

I dunno, crunching some beans isn't that bad. Could probably make them interesting tasting if you put them in a spice mix or something.

I mean, they’re “interesting” enough if you put them in your butt, but you do you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
So I can't order a Niche where I live. I've asked distributors here and Zero themselves but no joy. What's the next best grinder to get then? I'm looking for something comparable.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
there’s nothing exactly comparable, but the various eureka mignons are good grinders in that price range

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

leekster posted:

So I can't order a Niche where I live. I've asked distributors here and Zero themselves but no joy. What's the next best grinder to get then? I'm looking for something comparable.

Where do you live?

There’s typically shipping services if you’re close to a service region that for a small fee will receive the shipment and forward it to you.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I realised today that the espresso machine I just bought cost 10 times what my grinder cost, which is quite the opposite of how things are supposed to go!

For reference the machine is a La Pavoni lever machine, and the grinder is a Sunbeam EM0480 that I've had for 9 years now (not sure if they ever sold these outside of Australia?).

I've had to shim the burrs in the grinder closer together twice now over the years to get it grinding fine enough for espresso, which probably means they're quite worn by now, but in some ways it's amazing that it still works as well as it does. My biggest complaint with it is that the grind steps are ludicrously coarse, I'm currently going from quite a fast shot to almost completely choked on my lever machine within one grind step which is obviously not ideal. Pretty sure you can still buy replacement burrs for it which might be a good idea, on the other hand I'm hesitant to touch it while it's still working well enough as I'm sure I'll need to remove or change my shims if I install new burrs.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Blackhawk posted:

I realised today that the espresso machine I just bought cost 10 times what my grinder cost, which is quite the opposite of how things are supposed to go!

For reference the machine is a La Pavoni lever machine, and the grinder is a Sunbeam EM0480 that I've had for 9 years now (not sure if they ever sold these outside of Australia?).

I've had to shim the burrs in the grinder closer together twice now over the years to get it grinding fine enough for espresso, which probably means they're quite worn by now, but in some ways it's amazing that it still works as well as it does. My biggest complaint with it is that the grind steps are ludicrously coarse, I'm currently going from quite a fast shot to almost completely choked on my lever machine within one grind step which is obviously not ideal. Pretty sure you can still buy replacement burrs for it which might be a good idea, on the other hand I'm hesitant to touch it while it's still working well enough as I'm sure I'll need to remove or change my shims if I install new burrs.

Former Sunbeam employee here. No idea on the grind step settings, but there should still be an authorised repairers network and the ability to buy spare parts if you call Sunbeam customer service.

e: Fun story, we had a customer try to return an EM0480 two days after purchase because it wasn't working any more. My manager at the time had served him when he came into the store to buy it. She told him very specifically not to grind anything but coffee in it, if he wanted a spice grinder we had other options for that. But, dude was sure that he wasn't going to do any spices with it. So, he comes in pissing and moaning about how it stopped all of a sudden. Manager passes the grinder to me so I can have a look at it while she's talking to the dude. I open it up and while he's obviously emptied it out and done his best to brush everything out, there's a bunch of partially grinded up star anise pods in there. Manager comes around the desk, I show the guts to her, she rolls her eyes and pays the dude out about how she told him not to use it as a spice grinder. Hands it back to him, no refund for you today sir. Dude gets pissed and pegs it at us. Narrowly misses the manager and embeds itself in the dry wall. Good times, I miss that job.

DPM fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 21, 2021

leekster
Jun 20, 2013

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Where do you live?

There’s typically shipping services if you’re close to a service region that for a small fee will receive the shipment and forward it to you.

I live in Taiwan and the places I usually use couldn't source it. I'm looking at a DF64 now.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

DumbparameciuM posted:

Former Sunbeam employee here. No idea on the grind step settings, but there should still be an authorised repairers network and the ability to buy spare parts if you call Sunbeam customer service.

e: Fun story, we had a customer try to return an EM0480 two days after purchase because it wasn't working any more. My manager at the time had served him when he came into the store to buy it. She told him very specifically not to grind anything but coffee in it, if he wanted a spice grinder we had other options for that. But, dude was sure that he wasn't going to do any spices with it. So, he comes in pissing and moaning about how it stopped all of a sudden. Manager passes the grinder to me so I can have a look at it while she's talking to the dude. I open it up and while he's obviously emptied it out and done his best to brush everything out, there's a bunch of partially grinded up star anise pods in there. Manager comes around the desk, I show the guts to her, she rolls her eyes and pays the dude out about how she told him not to use it as a spice grinder. Hands it back to him, no refund for you today sir. Dude gets pissed and pegs it at us. Narrowly misses the manager and embeds itself in the dry wall. Good times, I miss that job.

Awesome, it's a testament to the design and build of that grinder that it A) works so well at such a low price point and B) it's still working after 9 years of daily use (and I've heard about others working for that long too). I get some enjoyment out of keeping hardware working as long as possible, reduce waste and all that, so it's good to know I can probably get spares if/when something actually breaks on it.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Blackhawk posted:

Awesome, it's a testament to the design and build of that grinder that it A) works so well at such a low price point and B) it's still working after 9 years of daily use (and I've heard about others working for that long too). I get some enjoyment out of keeping hardware working as long as possible, reduce waste and all that, so it's good to know I can probably get spares if/when something actually breaks on it.

Sunbeam poo poo, especially old sunbeam poo poo that was made in Sydney, is loving bulletproof. When I worked there I had a lady bring in an electric frypan that was 30 years old and all it needed was a new cord. Their aussie made poo poo is bulletproof.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What's the most barebones, simple way the thread enjoys coffee? I'm talking no electricity.

Anyone tried the Coleman percolators or similar things for camping?

I have a little gsi espresso* maker for camping and this thing rules.

My other go-to is taking the aero press, particularly with a stainless steel screen. That plus a little stove or a nice cup does the trick nicely but churns through grounds.

I'm a little late on this, but this year when camping I got instant coffee. Some of the goodish roasters around here have been making instant coffee that is surprisingly not lovely. It's not great either mind you, but it's good enough for camping.

In the past I've used one of those percolators, they aren't bad (depends on the coffee obviously) but it was too bulky for the kind of camping I do. I've also used a Moka pot, but again it's rather bulky.

Edit: After doing some research, I think the roasters I got it from were partnered with this company to make the instant coffee: https://swiftcupcoffee.com/

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 21, 2021

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Alright, so, I'm going back into the rabbit hole of espresso-specific prosumer or commercial grinders for at home use. I contacted my local go-to for home equipment, Greater Goods, and they pointed me over to Clive Coffee, whose team recommended the Eureka Atom 75 for home use. Anybody have thoughts on it? I use a La Pavoni Professional (a Stradivari, which is basically the same thing).

Edit: also, potentially considering upgrading the La Pavoni to Clive's recommendation of a Profitec in the future.

Edit 2: I ended up picking up the Atom 75, so will trip report when I have the rig setup.

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 22, 2021

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Any reason ground coffee has started to stick to my grinder (1zpresso jx), aeropress and funnel?

I got some coffee from a different roaster and it is a bit darker than I would normally pick. The beans look very slightly oiliy?

I don't think it is moisture as tapping everything gets it to move. And I can brush off with a tissue or cleaning brush.
Just haven't had it before.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Stupid Decisions posted:

Any reason ground coffee has started to stick to my grinder (1zpresso jx), aeropress and funnel?

I got some coffee from a different roaster and it is a bit darker than I would normally pick. The beans look very slightly oiliy?

I don't think it is moisture as tapping everything gets it to move. And I can brush off with a tissue or cleaning brush.

Darker roast = more surface oil (and sooner) = more clumping and sticking.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Stupid Decisions posted:

visibly oily beans is usually a sign of a very dark roast and could be causing some sticking. also if it’s late fall where you are, ambient humidity may be getting lower which can cause sticking due to static electricity. if it’s static you can try the droplet technique and see if that helps

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Darker roast = more surface oil (and sooner) = more clumping and sticking.

hypnophant posted:

visibly oily beans is usually a sign of a very dark roast and could be causing some sticking. also if it’s late fall where you are, ambient humidity may be getting lower which can cause sticking due to static electricity. if it’s static you can try the droplet technique and see if that helps

This both makes perfect sense, thanks.
The oily beans wear just something I haven't really seen before, the roaster marked them as medium so now I wonder what they class as dark.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The other day I was out driving with my dad and he wanted a snack, and I was regretting not making a cup of good coffee to bring with me, Starbucks was packed, so went through an Aroma Joe’s drive through. Aroma Joe’s is a New England drivethrough-only chain that feels like it never left the second wave or the 90’s in general. They had a Rwanda single origin next to their mocha vanilla caramel lattes and usual dark roast stuff on the enormous menu. It was shockingly good. It didn’t have a lot of acidity but it was sweet, balanced, and had no unpleasant roast flavors. It reminded me of Cometeer a lot. And it was like a buck fifty. Burn down dunkin and replace them with aroma Joe’s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

i own every Bionicle posted:

The other day I was out driving with my dad and he wanted a snack, and I was regretting not making a cup of good coffee to bring with me, Starbucks was packed, so went through an Aroma Joe’s drive through. Aroma Joe’s is a New England drivethrough-only chain that feels like it never left the second wave or the 90’s in general. They had a Rwanda single origin next to their mocha vanilla caramel lattes and usual dark roast stuff on the enormous menu. It was shockingly good. It didn’t have a lot of acidity but it was sweet, balanced, and had no unpleasant roast flavors. It reminded me of Cometeer a lot. And it was like a buck fifty. Burn down dunkin and replace them with aroma Joe’s

Honeydew Donuts.

you meant to say “Burn down Dunkin and replace them with Honeydew”

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

There’s someone on a local marketplace offering a “lightly used, fully working” BES840XL (at least I think it’s that based on the image) for $190.

Is this worth it? I’m currently using a Delonghi Ec155 with an Encore grinder. I wouldn’t want a further grinder upgrade, and I’d probably see if they’d bite at $150 for it.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 25, 2021

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

There’s someone on a local marketplace offering a “lightly used, fully working” BES840XL (at least I think it’s that based on the image) for $190.

Is this worth it? I’m currently using a Delonghi Ec155 with an Encore grinder. I wouldn’t want a further grinder upgrade, and I’d probably see if they’d bite at $150 for it.

Jump on it. You don't need to upgrade from your Encore, you just need to replace the burr in it with the Virtuosa one for $30 and an hour of your time.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Jump on it. You don't need to upgrade from your Encore, you just need to replace the burr in it with the Virtuosa one for $30 and an hour of your time.

Thanks.

Still worth it even if I can’t get them to budge below $200?

And can I limp by without the burr upgrade for a while?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I think they go for 3 or 4 times that new, so you'd be getting a good deal and a nicer cuppa, assuming they've described it accurately.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Thanks.

Still worth it even if I can’t get them to budge below $200?

And can I limp by without the burr upgrade for a while?

Yes and yes.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Everyone needs to try this:

https://blendincoffeeclub.com/product/elida-catuai/

First time I've had an anerobic slow dry and it was incredible. It tastes like a fermenty raspberry jam. So much sweetness and very funky.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Partial Octopus posted:

First time I've had an anerobic slow dry and it was incredible. It tastes like a fermenty raspberry jam. So much sweetness and very funky.

$32 after shipping for a 10 oz bag? drat.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Partial Octopus posted:

yeah if you like that very fermenty fruit candy/jam profile (had several that are very jolly rancher like), ASDs seem like a pretty consistent way to get them

the ones i've tried have been a little Much for me to actually want to drink more than a cup of them but they definitely have explosive flavors.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Partial Octopus posted:

HELL YEAH, LET'S DO IT

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

nwin posted:

Yeah it's a bit pricey but I think its worth it. There was a 15%off coupon at some point but its expired unfortunately.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nwin posted:

:krakken: :sludgepal:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's upgrade day at my coffee corner.

Before:

After:

So far what I've learned after pulling 4 shots is that I have a lot to learn about using this guy to its full potential. None of them have been perfect but they've all been better than what I could get out of the Gaggia. The manual process is very satisfying.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

To quote Paris Hilton (appropriately)... "That's hot."

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Megabound posted:

It's upgrade day at my coffee corner.

Before:

After:

So far what I've learned after pulling 4 shots is that I have a lot to learn about using this guy to its full potential. None of them have been perfect but they've all been better than what I could get out of the Gaggia. The manual process is very satisfying.

Welcome to the Pavoni Pullers, or the PP, as we call it

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm honored to be part of the PP club

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Megabound posted:

I'm honored to be part of the PP club

Pull hard in the PP club, then dump the soggy leavings in the bang bucket.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
That is a very pretty setup. About how much can you dose in the basket and how much comes out during each pull?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

How much comes out when you pull your PP

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Spiggy posted:

That is a very pretty setup. About how much can you dose in the basket and how much comes out during each pull?

14g and I've been getting between 20 - 30g out depending on grind size and pre-infusion. There's a lot of variables and so far all the videos I've watched everyone does it a bit differently, including stuff like doing a low pressure pre-infusion pull, coming back up to fill in more water and then coming back at full pressure for longer shots.

There's interesting things to consider like without even pulling the lever down your pre-infusion is happening at boiler pressure, about 1 bar, it's a whole new world full of variables.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

That Pavoni is so sick. Glad you have good taste and aren't one of those sad fucks buying the silver eagle one.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It didn't take me too long for getting respectable shots out of a La Paconi Stradivari, to be honest, but I did pitch a lot of espresso and also made a lot of lattes. The whole "milk drinks hide all faults" is very true if you pull a mediocre shot. I think the happiest I have gotten is with a medium espresso roast with about 18 to 20 in using a bottomless filter.

I'll have to fuddle about with it again once my Atom comes in. Can't wait to start making horrible mistakes with that thing. Horrible, delicious mistakes.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I've got a long weekend starting tomorrow, 4 days off, so I'm going to burn through a lot of beans working on getting good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thumposaurus posted:

How much comes out when you pull your PP

Show me on the PP where he touched you