Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Back on topic I know a lot of people said they didn't like the ending because it ruined the impact of the marble game but I kinda feel the opposite. At the time it made no sense to me why Oh Il Nam suddenly decided to manipulate Gi-Hun and lay this massive guilt trip on him for seemingly no reason. Then you find out hes one of the monsters behind the game and of course hes going to take the opportunity to mentally torture someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gosh I’m going to be pissed if I don’t atleast have 60 million when I retire.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The thing about 40 million is that it becomes a lot easier to turn that into a billion and become wealthy than most people realize. 3 million is 'retirement" money, 40 is the line where you can just invest it in all kinds of nonsense and end up with a billion in 5 - 10 years since money just makes more money.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Is Oh Il-nam the father of Gi-hun or not?

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

YoursTruly posted:

Is Oh Il-nam the father of Gi-hun or not?

What gave you the impression they might be?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Darko posted:

The thing about 40 million is that it becomes a lot easier to turn that into a billion and become wealthy than most people realize. 3 million is 'retirement" money, 40 is the line where you can just invest it in all kinds of nonsense and end up with a billion in 5 - 10 years since money just makes more money.

Right, this is exactly the point of the bank scene towards the end. In the current system, money makes more money, while debt makes more debt. Investing 40 million in a conservative index fund returning 5% gives you an income of 2 million/year, for literally doing nothing. So yeah, it's not Bezos-tier rich, but it's well into the "never work again, never worry about money again".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

webmeister posted:

Right, this is exactly the point of the bank scene towards the end. In the current system, money makes more money, while debt makes more debt. Investing 40 million in a conservative index fund returning 5% gives you an income of 2 million/year, for literally doing nothing. So yeah, it's not Bezos-tier rich, but it's well into the "never work again, never worry about money again".

And you can do risky investments. As a small end example, daily fantasy is dominated by people that can just max buy 150 lineups and max buy in larger smaller tier events, just because when you throw more money at the game, your odds are exponentially better and you win overall. The regular person is throwing in 30 bucks in one entry to try to win 10,000 - 1,000,000 while already rich people are throwing thousands of entries in to X4 their investment every week for tens of thousands of dollars. Wealthy people investments kind of work the same way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Random Integer posted:

Back on topic I know a lot of people said they didn't like the ending because it ruined the impact of the marble game but I kinda feel the opposite. At the time it made no sense to me why Oh Il Nam suddenly decided to manipulate Gi-Hun and lay this massive guilt trip on him for seemingly no reason. Then you find out hes one of the monsters behind the game and of course hes going to take the opportunity to mentally torture someone.

I’m 100% of this mind too. It made the marble game more meaningful IMO, but in a way more sinister way

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tgacon posted:

What gave you the impression they might be?

Gihun says he can’t stand regular milk, Ilnam says he had a son like that too

Gihun says he grew up in a town like the mock-up in episode 6, Ilnam said he did too

There isn’t a single tidbit of a clue about Gihun’s dad

It’s a long shot, but the fact that the show doesn’t say anything even in passing about Gihun’s dad is pretty suspicious

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I get kinda what the guy means by $40 million “isn’t that much” to risk your life for. If you’re used to being upper middle class it isn’t in a subjective sense because your lifestyle would not actually change much. Maybe you can fly private now instead and buy a big house in a nice place. Not much different subjectively than minimum wage working person getting say a hundred thousand. It just bumps you up, but doesn’t radically change the course of your life with almost no effort.

Rich people aren’t all just rich at a certain point. There’s far more difference between Jeff Bezos and a guy with a hundred million than the guy with a hundred million and a normal person.

Once your in the few hundred thousand range all the way up to say a few million that’s enough to never worry about finances again but not enough to be more than at best locally influential or power in most places wealthy people lives. If you’re in the professional class range who knows you’re likely gonna make a few million over your lifetime than dying for 40 million is stupid as well.

Dying for 500 million or a billion? Now that’s enough money to be the people running the games. It’s a whole different level of rich.

Also none of this is really relevant because all the people in the squid game were so broke that almost any amount of money that fully covers their debt and let’s them live a comfortable lower-middle class life for even a year is life changing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
40 million isn’t enough to die for if you have stable, even if meager, money.

But these are all people who are in dire, life-threatening situations on top of being in a ton of debt that’s scrambling their brains

Sangwoo is in the least danger but has a major brain malfunction about his pride, bad enough that he’d let a childhood friend die just to make sure nobody on the outside found out that he was a financial failure

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah the guess the summary is that there are basically 3 levels of wealth as far your actual ability to control your world, hosed, comfortable, and powerful, and the difference in wealth between comfortable and powerful for most people in most places is incredibly vast. And more than 40 million in most developed nations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Random Integer posted:

It makes the marble scene AND the vote to stop playing even more impactful. Insanely good from a thematic and conceptual perspective

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Steve Yun posted:

Gihun says he can’t stand regular milk, Ilnam says he had a son like that too

Gihun says he grew up in a town like the mock-up in episode 6, Ilnam said he did too

There isn’t a single tidbit of a clue about Gihun’s dad

It’s a long shot, but the fact that the show doesn’t say anything even in passing about Gihun’s dad is pretty suspicious

It would be weird if Gihun could stand regular milk because most people in Asia are lactose intolerant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if that's an enviromental thing since I can drink milk fine but my parents grew up in Korea and milk gives them the shits.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am Korean and my entire family grew up with milk

Who are these lactose intolerant people

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I feel like I read that it happens to everyone somewhat when they get older, if they don't continue drinking milk after childhood? I could be making this up...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I feel like I read that it happens to everyone somewhat when they get older, if they don't continue drinking milk after childhood? I could be making this up...

Yeah its a thing as you get older.

quote:

It’s common to develop a lactase deficiency in adulthood. In fact, about 65 percent of the global population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

Your genetic makeup has a lot to do with whether you'll experience lactose intolerance. The body creates lactase when it’s instructed to do so by the LCT gene, and over time that gene can become less active. The result is lactose intolerance, which can begin after age 2 but may not manifest itself until adolescence or even adulthood, Dr. Grand says.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Korea LOVES cheese, if you go to Korea just expect perfectly normal foods to have cheese on them for no reason. The big burger chain lets you order a burger that is just a big mozzarella stick.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

As an avid pick-up bball player, I've asked myself a hypothetical question: If I were given a chance to shoot a free throw for a billion dollars if I make it or killed or I miss, would I be confident enough to do it?

My answer's always been no, even though I have a fairly good shot. I think the pressure and the nerves would get the best of me.

Anyway, with the hypothetical $40million to play squid games, I wonder what % of populations around the world would volunteer for such a thing irl. There's certainly people in crushing situations and some who are wired to seek crazy challenges just to do it. Even if it's not Bezos wealth, that kind of money goes extremely far in some parts of the world.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghostnuke posted:

Yeah, everyone tends to get it, just some people overexaggerate any issue they have. Like how every cold is a flu for some people.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

iamsosmrt posted:

As an avid pick-up bball player, I've asked myself a hypothetical question: If I were given a chance to shoot a free throw for a billion dollars if I make it or killed or I miss, would I be confident enough to do it?

My answer's always been no, even though I have a fairly good shot. I think the pressure and the nerves would get the best of me.

Anyway, with the hypothetical $40million to play squid games, I wonder what % of populations around the world would volunteer for such a thing irl. There's certainly people in crushing situations and some who are wired to seek crazy challenges just to do it. Even if it's not Bezos wealth, that kind of money goes extremely far in some parts of the world.

If they did squid game rules, then your family would get a pile if you fail and die. would do that 100%

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Ghostnuke posted:

If they did squid game rules, then your family would get a pile if you fail and die. would do that 100%

The family payout rule only applies if they collectively vote to end the games, but the survivors will get nothing. As episode 2 demonstrates, everyone who's still alive decides to go right back more than 90% of the time, effectively making the rule null. Each player is worth 100k and it's distributed amongst the families of the dead only if there's no ultimate victor(s), but if the games reach a conclusion, it's winner take all.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 27, 2021

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The end of the show devastated me. when 456 discovered his mother's body and went on what appears to be an epic bender without really touching the money, I was legit crying

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1453077981967048708?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Of course.

This isn’t surprising because of how most of these contracts are. Also the fact he was shopping it for 10 years means he definitely didn’t get anything where he’s going to get a bonus.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
From what I've heard there's no backend money in streaming. You get everything up front since there isn't a traditional syndication type goal.

Still it has to sting to spend 10 years on what may ultimately be your most popular creative work and still need to come up with a season 2 to make any real money. Here's to hoping his contract has room to negotiate on the 2nd season payout.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Feels like Netflix are the ones that took a big risk on it. Nobody else wanted it so it's nice to get a $20million budget. I'm sure the creative team will get loaded with the next season, though I feel a little bad about the dead characters that can't come back.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s a lovely system if you create an international mega hit and only the investors gets like 99% of the benifits.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s a lovely system if you create an international mega hit and only the investors gets like 99% of the benifits.

Squid Game!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've decided the worst thing about Cop Plot is he got himself killed right after holding up the rapist VIP and didn't even bother capping the fucker

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't Front Guy have been at risk? It's his operation and one of the VIPs got attacked. At that point, at least, he's still an 'employee' and probably subject to their corporate HR's aggressive termination policies. It's a moot point since he's probably since been promoted to VIP status and took over for his boss.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Given the general feeling towards that VIP, the others likely assumed they just took out the trash.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've decided the worst thing about Cop Plot is he got himself killed right after holding up the rapist VIP and didn't even bother capping the fucker

He couldn’t though because he needed to make a stealthy escape.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I'm going to assume that the VIPs assume there can only be one Very Most Important Person, so having one die here or there is to the survivors' advantage.
I think that could be a season 2 plot point.
Edit: When you're already one of the richest people on Earth, what's left other than to become The Richest Person on Earth?

YoursTruly fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 27, 2021

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Given the general feeling towards that VIP, the others likely assumed they just took out the trash.

Maybe. My guess is the other VIP's are just as terrible, but in different ways. Perhaps each VIP represents some terrible trait, with 69 guy as subtly as a sledgehammer being the sexual deviant.

They're all caricatures, but caricatures with zero backstory so we're not entirely certain what they're supposed to be caricaturing. Plenty of room in season 2 for us to really hate the guy who misquotes Shakespeare.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

They’re just a bunch of rich assholes, no need to complicate it. If a season 2 is ever made they might get backstory and a bit of depth I guess but this isn’t really a character driven show.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In the context of the show all that really matters is that some rich Koreans would rob their countrymen from their dignity and their lives for the purpose of entertaining rich, mostly American, foreigners. It's a paper thin allegory.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

The end of the show devastated me. when 456 discovered his mother's body and went on what appears to be an epic bender without really touching the money, I was legit crying

That mother fucker not getting on that god damned plane and keeping a promise to his kid for once still has me loving pissed every time I think about it.

gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Can someone explain the red hair thing though still lost on that bit