Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Greed's gameplay specialization, since it's the last one missing and I managed to get it (though not the lore/flavor part)

"Your Greedy Ego and insatiable avarice allow you to control Daemons who can increase the number of turns they take and move to any location they please!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Greed is the busted one, got it. :v:

I wonder if the endings are going to be as simple as law-neutral-chaos for SMT, with the faith/hope and sloth/gluttony party members. Kinda hope not since it's so boring.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean 4 is more than 3

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Thanks, that had the exact statblock I was looking for, and now I can think about who to bring without worrying that I'm missing a weakness to exploit

Is one of them Kasen? Cause that's what I was gonna say.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HGH posted:

Is one of them Kasen? Cause that's what I was gonna say.

My main strat for the first 90% of the fight is Tenshi/Sanae/Reimu/Kasen, yeah. Tenshi to clear debuffs and be a dummy for the MP-absorbing move to hit, Sanae to buff Kasen and be a backup healer, Reimu to be my main healer and defensive buffer, and Kasen to be the sole attacker, slowly plinking the boss' insane HP pool down

Kasen can OHKO the adds before they get buffed, and 2HKO after buffs, but that's only single target. So she kills one, then the boss buffs itself and the remaining add, then the add gets an attack and someone is going to die--and the whole operation is so fragile that I can't really afford for anyone to go down. Plus the boss is about to use a big gently caress-off aoe which OHKOs Kasen, though there's a 50% chance she survives with guts

Halfway tempted to, right before the adds appear, switch Tenshi for Meiling and just try to get extremely lucky with guts procs. Then once the adds are down I can swap Tenshi back in and play cautiously to clear the buffs before making the final push.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You should bring Kasen anyway because she's cool.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
also she's the best offensive character in the game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I should also say that I'm like 15 levels below the "challenge" level so like, I'm just constantly pushing against numbers that are higher than I can handle without buffing up and turtling but I've been doing that all game long and it'd be a shame to grind now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kasen really falls off in the post-game but she's definitely one of the more solid characters in the main game.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've been enjoying struggling through boss fights in LoT2, usually pulling through with less than half my team standing, and then checking youtube for optimized (but still challenge level compliant) speedkills. Turns out if you go hard on the math to make sure your turns line up right and are willing to accept some level of RNG for ailments and the like, you can quite often buff someone into the stratosphere and have them one-shot whatever you're fighting

So staying well under challenge level is probably for the best :)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mandatory lesbian posted:

Is awoooooo girl in the touhou game, very important

you'll be happy to hear, 10 days later, that awoo girl was the missing piece of the puzzle and played an absolutely crucial, possibly irreplaceable role in my final boss kill

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So in Astria Ascending there is basically 0 party member balance whatsoever.

You get two characters who have coverage of all element types, except one of them when it does the attack its part of a two hit where it does a physical attack (completely worthless) and then the magic part. Enemies can resist/absorb/etc. physical so even if you are theoretically hitting an enemy weakness with this character, you can get absolutely punished for it. The other character can just you know, cast the magic and so far as I am in the game the magic part deals the same damage.

Another characters gimmick is summoning which depletes your stock of stored charges so she's not very useful when a fight starts and doesn't have the skill spread to get you a bunch of the stored charges so she's kind of dead weight in a fight unless you're already so overwhelmingly winning you don't need her summons.

Also: Every time I turn off the difficulty from "Very Easy" to even just "Easy" not even Normal or Hard, the game becomes a sleep inducing slog where you're basically entirely reliant on magic to get through enough fights to get to the next teleporter because if you used physical attacks only you'll die of old age before you get through some enemy encounters. Then the bosses are just a mess of chance, which apparently improves later on when you can steal the items you need from various enemies to disable their most egregious bullshit.

I'm just gonna leave it on very easy and power through because seriously, this plot cannot be played this straight. Well that and my stats don't seem to change when I equip anything so I think I broke something.

Edit: The map is completely insane in this game. Its a combination of ugly and nearly useless. I've cheated and added as many map indicators as possible to it and its still strangely unhelpful.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 27, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

So in Astria Ascending there is basically 0 party member balance whatsoever.

I watched some gameplay footage of it a while back and it looked like the most boilerplate-rear end JRPG I've seen in a while, so I'm not too surprised. Is there any actual trick to combat beyond just spamming your strongest spells?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

I watched some gameplay footage of it a while back and it looked like the most boilerplate-rear end JRPG I've seen in a while, so I'm not too surprised. Is there any actual trick to combat beyond just spamming your strongest spells?

Im not a good measure because I honestly gave up on the combat completely after the first real dungeon and pet way into the second, but from what I gathered with random encounters no not really. Bosses have more awful stuff they can do to you so theres more to be done but also not really since the optimal boss setup is "give yourself immunity to their garbage status effect on whatever magic caster on your team is super effective"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vermain posted:

The combat is 100% entirely "determine what the enemy is weak to, hit it with its weakness to build charges/use your turn on the "build charge" command if you don't have the element, then dump all your charges into your strongest elemental damage dealer(the mage) hitting weakness until the enemy dies". I played it on hard for 3 full dungeons before quitting and that's all there is to it, even when you unlock the job system.

It's like Octopath Traveler except a whole lot more basic and lovely, and I'm not the biggest fan of Octopath's combat to begin with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A weird request, but: Would anyone here who's familiar with Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together's Chaos route be willing to help me out in fact-checking a script for a video that's partially delving into LUCT's story? Specifically the events around Nybeth Obdilord. The LP currently wrapping up covers the Law route, which is great, but Nybeth kinda skips out on the entirety of Law. I want someone to make sure I haven't misunderstood anything I've read, or missed something worth saying either for curiosity or comedy value.

Can send you the link by email or PM, whichever you want.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If your game has both made up proper nouns and voice acting maybe make sure they all same the word the same way?

Or just, uh, have Lenval Brown do all your games voice acting. I finished Disco Elysium before jumping back into this and holy poo poo Zimar is just straight up the narrator voice he used for DE. Dagmar at least is a little changed but whatever, Lenval Brown carry me through this garbage

Edit: Astria Ascending is just horny for catgirls, it is from the elemental plane of horny for catgirls

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 27, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

Edit: Astria Ascending is just horny for catgirls, it is from the elemental plane of horny for catgirls

Whom amongst us..

Is Astria Ascending any good? From the posts it sounds like it's not, but it seems to at least look pretty nice?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Whom amongst us..

Is Astria Ascending any good? From the posts it sounds like it's not, but it seems to at least look pretty nice?

It is very not good. Im playing it because it has very easy mode and this plot is setup to go wild and I want to be there for it.

As for art its very uneven. The horniness overpowers the anatomy and lots or things end up looking like sexy caricatures.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

:yossame:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I seriously cannot figure out if equipping new equipment does anything in Astria Ascending. Theres no way to directly equip from item shops and no way to see what your stats are if you apply all or even some of the bonuses items are supposed to grant to your stats. Theres 8 characters but there are like 16 weapon types and how did this come out this decade much less this year.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i put a couple hours into Phantasy Star 4 since that just came to switch via NSO. this seems to be one of the good phantasy stars? i'm having fun so far at least, the writing is delightfully snappy especially for this era and the pacing is excellent, slightly too high encounter rate notwithstanding

also i just found kirbysuperstar's avatar

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
psiv is the one everyone likes yeah

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Amppelix posted:

i put a couple hours into Phantasy Star 4 since that just came to switch via NSO. this seems to be one of the good phantasy stars? i'm having fun so far at least, the writing is delightfully snappy especially for this era and the pacing is excellent, slightly too high encounter rate notwithstanding

also i just found kirbysuperstar's avatar

It's the best Phantasy Star. I wish more games of the time had the cool comic book style cut scenes the way PSIV did. Felt like the production value was off the charts (at the time).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Levantine posted:

It's the best Phantasy Star. I wish more games of the time had the cool comic book style cut scenes the way PSIV did. Felt like the production value was off the charts (at the time).

The comic book style of cutscenes is what I remember most, yeah. It was a really creative way of getting around the limitations of the hardware at the time, and it gave a lot of emotional weight to some of the scenes that normally wouldn't have been possible with the really basic sprites they were working with.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah i should've mentioned, those are very impressive and like so much better than the usual sprites jumping around to mime emotions that we got around this time it's not even funny

Alys is giving me some massive "too cool and powerful to live and/or stick around" vibes so far, so i'll be very pleasantly surprised if she does turn out to live and/or stick around. she's the best.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

speaking of sci-fi RPGs, someone let tri-ace make another star ocean

just got announced on the sony stream. honestly, looks way better than what i'd seen of 5

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Amppelix posted:

speaking of sci-fi RPGs, someone let tri-ace make another star ocean

just got announced on the sony stream. honestly, looks way better than what i'd seen of 5

I don't understand how they keep being allowed to make these when the only good one was 2 and even that's questionable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes its who you know not what you know

Also lol Star Ocean

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't understand how they keep being allowed to make these when the only good one was 2 and even that's questionable.

People really liked 3, it sold like crazy, and 4 sold well enough.

Only 5 was a failure.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Didn't they say in an interview that the reason they keep making star ocean is that it's on-brand for star ocean to kind of suck and they don't want to screw up valkyrie profile, which is their actually prestigious brand

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

edge maverick

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they keep making star ocean because people keep giving them money to make star ocean and tri-ace doesn't make any other games anymore

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And I keep giving SE money for Star Ocean games

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ugh Star Ocean. At least i got to contribute EDGE MAVERICK to the star ocean lore.

1 is kinda lame.
2 is great.
3 is bad but a funny bad.
4 is just bad.
5 is hot trash garbage from a butt.

I expect nothing from 6 and will still end up disappointed somehow. They have a really bad track record going back years and years.

Why couldn't we get a new Wild Arms or Shadow Hearts or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The rights to Wild Arms belong to Sony, who is currently pivoting away from Japanese-style games so hard your head will spin. The rights to Shadow Hearts belong to a Hotel company for some reason. The rights to Star Ocean belong to a company that actually still makes JRPGs.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Star Ocean 6 kind of serving Xenoblade X but with a few more bucks for cutscenes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im glad a good game has been made again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

sol goodguy