Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jump and phase shift over their heads and tauntingly shoot them with missiles while you laugh at their complete inability to do anything to you.

Also do this to ever boss you can jump over

It’s trivializes them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I look forward to the inevitable mod that makes death with an EMMI permanent and it deletes your save and crashes the emulator and OS for good measure

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lastdancer posted:

I look forward to the inevitable mod that makes death with an EMMI permanent and it deletes your save and crashes the emulator and OS for good measure

engage ridley emmi
mother fucker

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Just finished my sub 4 hour normal mode run. It took a while because I have a poo poo sense of direction so I had to do a lot of scouting for my route before reloading a checkpoint and going for it. So as a result I was real nervous I didn't get it and was greeted with a final time of...2:48:09. Yeah I think I got it.

I wasn't planning on any sequence breaks but I took early grapple after giving it a shot and it was easier than I thought, then early gravity suit was RIGHT THERE and how can I not? Even though I didn't have a plan for after early gravity, I really enjoy how the route just comes together on it's own. Early gravity turned into early screw attack and, wait aren't I supposed to have storm missiles for this boss? What's going on?

Guess I'm going for a sub 4 hard mode now. I had plenty of wiggle room to spare.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Beat it a few days ago at just over 6 hours with 40% items, probably going to continue that save for a 100% item completion at some point but doing Hard now and I just got Speed Boost at about an hour and 45 minutes, not sure if I'm making good enough time for sub-4 hours. Mercury Steam clearly learned a lot from their foray with Samus Returns and everything feels like a big upgrade on function and ease of use/controls. What really strikes me is that whether or not this was meant as a spoopy Halloween Metroid or not, it's absolutely a love letter to Fusion; from the more atmospheric soundscapes, to the tension of EMMI sections, and even broadcasting a boss before you fight him à la Nightmare.

Even so, I have to agree with sigher and other posters that the soundtrack in general is lacking and feels distinctly un-Metroid, as grooving while you explore has always been a big part of the experience. It doesn't have to be Hip Tanaka all over again, but this is a tenet they kept very up with the Prime games, and even Fusion itself wasn't afraid of a little rhythm. I'm not the best at figuring out shinespark paths, and Dread seems to ask a lot for some of them. Since Zero Mission it's always felt like they're built for total mastery of the game and its controls, so usually beyond what I'm willing to do for 100% items in a casual playthrough. It's still incredibly tight in every other regard and is a must play for fans of the genre.

Now give back the Fusion Suit back, you cowards!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Your Computer posted:

engage ridley emmi
mother fucker

ravenb eak???

loving toasst

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I played so much Dread that I'm craving more Metroid but boy howdy is it hard to deal with Super's controls after the buttery smooth way Samus movies in Dread. She feels about as mobile in Super as she does in Prime, comparatively.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

:pcgaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvtl7G4t9A4

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

MokBa posted:

I played so much Dread that I'm craving more Metroid but boy howdy is it hard to deal with Super's controls after the buttery smooth way Samus movies in Dread. She feels about as mobile in Super as she does in Prime, comparatively.

I *think* the Project Base romhack aims to fix some of this. Maybe not in the extent that Dreads improves on things, but somewhat in that direction.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Practice and embrace the SM walljump, it's great.

E: also you're slightly smaller when spinjumping, which makes it easier to get onto ledges

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 26, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The record is actually 1:23:50. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcti8QR7eY

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Really good game so far. The one thing I don't like are the QTEs/counters specifically with some of the bosses (I'm looking at you Experiment No. Z-57). It just feels lovely to make it through all the actual mechanics and then lose the fight because you whiff the QTE.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Carmant posted:

Really good game so far. The one thing I don't like are the QTEs/counters specifically with some of the bosses (I'm looking at you Experiment No. Z-57). It just feels lovely to make it through all the actual mechanics and then lose the fight because you whiff the QTE.

The counters in the QTEs are the actual mechanics. Also none of them cause a death on failure.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Yeah the counter's just a shot to do unmitigated damage, if you miss you might take a hit and then you continue with the fight as normal.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

CainFortea posted:

The counters in the QTEs are the actual mechanics. Also none of them cause a death on failure.

I mean they do damage so if you made it through the fight by the skin of your teeth and need to finish it off with a QTE and miss then yeah, you die. They can do like a full energy tank of health worth of dmg

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Up to the second boss.

This is the best game.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

TaurusOxford posted:

The record is actually 1:23:50. :v:

I just finished watching it. My mind is blown. Pretty much everything went perfect in that run, and he was running v1.0.1 which adds extra loading time.

Carmant posted:

I like it because it messes with your mind. It teaches you to always be ready for it anytime.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 26, 2021

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think I ever remembered to use the storm missile outside the doors it opens.

The experiment fight where multiple claws grab the ceiling/walls is also the most obvious "use strom missile here"

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

The experiment fight where multiple claws grab the ceiling/walls is also the most obvious "use strom missile here"

I've never actually had storm missiles at that point, but you're right.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Did we ever figure out how to unlock the fast travel between all teleportals? I made it to the last area and I'm just before the final boss, but it still hasn't triggered and I'm not finding anything proven by googling it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Going to the last area unlocks it but it won't tell you until you go back and try and use a teleporter

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
I just tried teleporting from Itorash to Hanubia, but no popup :(

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That route isn't a teleporter. That's just a good ol elevator.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

That route isn't a teleporter. That's just a good ol elevator.

:doh: yup I got it now ty

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I did it. I sequence broke and got the early grapple beam and bombs. :unsmith: Though I don't know if I would have found it on my own, I really respect the effort by the developers to leave breadcrumbs leading to ~something~ if you can figure out tricky slide-jump combos. Thanks to the nearby save station, it took maybe fifteen minutes of trial and error to get through it, which feels reasonable to me and my butterfingers.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Bob Socko posted:

I did it. I sequence broke and got the early grapple beam and bombs. :unsmith: Though I don't know if I would have found it on my own, I really respect the effort by the developers to leave breadcrumbs leading to ~something~ if you can figure out tricky slide-jump combos. Thanks to the nearby save station, it took maybe fifteen minutes of trial and error to get through it, which feels reasonable to me and my butterfingers.

Doing this now. I got the first tricky jump on the first try and then fell off the second at the end of the tunnel. Now a half hour later I have yet to get that first slide/jump right. :smith:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Books On Tape posted:

Doing this now. I got the first tricky jump on the first try and then fell off the second at the end of the tunnel. Now a half hour later I have yet to get that first slide/jump right. :smith:

I had the exact opposite experience, in fact! First time I tried it, i pulled off both flawlessly, after that I could get the first but took me 20mins to get the second.

Try the break (same slide jump mechanic) in the EMMI room instead, you might find it a bit easier.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Still on my first playthrough, past the area that unlocked with the grapple beam. Game still loving rules. But also

https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1453124742324449286

I don't wanna know the answer but what in the gently caress

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Still on my first playthrough, past the area that unlocked with the grapple beam. Game still loving rules. But also

Cross bomb.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

MorningMoon posted:

I honestly love this one because I too had the Big Brain idea of getting all those blocks blown up only for the slap in the face to happen :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MorningMoon posted:

There's several puzzles like this in the game where I said "Nope, gently caress this, I'll figure this out at the end of the game." Assuming that I couldn't complete the puzzle at the time I attempted it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Especially when those style puzzles are vaguely shaped for speedboosting. Can I do a hold a shinespark charge, drop a power bomb and launch a handful of missiles morph and launch before losing the charge? Probably not but what does it expect me to do? Yeah the cross bomb, though there were times when I wanted to try and see if Samus Returns power bomb launching was still in the game too

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm trying to avoid any spoilers at all, but I love sequence breaking in any games; is there any survivable path without Varia through the hot areas?[ It seems like unlike the first few games there isn't really any way to live more than a few seconds. I'd just like to avoid wasting time messing around if that's the case.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Velius posted:

I'm trying to avoid any spoilers at all, but I love sequence breaking in any games; is there any survivable path without Varia through the hot areas?[ It seems like unlike the first few games there isn't really any way to live more than a few seconds. I'd just like to avoid wasting time messing around if that's the case.

Heat damage accelerates rapidly as you spend time in the room, you won't get anywhere before dying

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Velius posted:

As far as I can tell, they intend the "suit required" damage area's as hard blocks for progress. Cold Area's, Hot Area's and Lava all do ramping damage, there are maybe a handful of pickups that you can feasibly get before the required suit upgrades.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

DelphiAegis posted:

Cross bomb.

Or if you don't feel like waiting, get speedy.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

I Am Just a Box posted:

Wow, it never occurred to me to climb up into the left-hand tunnel in order to activate the ballspark faster

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I Am Just a Box posted:

I love that so many pickups have alternate methods like this.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I Am Just a Box posted:

Not pictured: the countless failed tries before that. I genuinely thought it couldn’t be done but he loving did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

As far as I can tell, they intend the "suit required" damage area's as hard blocks for progress. Cold Area's, Hot Area's and Lava all do ramping damage, there are maybe a handful of pickups that you can feasibly get before the required suit upgrades.

Some spoilers for abilities and where you get them, pertaining to going through hot/cold areas early:

You can do a speed puzzle to go through an ice area at the top of dairon (where you turn on the second generator and get bombs) to get super missiles early, which can help with the water clam boss (or you can do some wallclip shots or “pseudo wave beams” as people call them to skip the boss outright)

You can also go to the first zone and through two ice areas to get screw early after getting space jump, but you’ll also have to do the underwater bomb jump glitch where you bomb and unball before Samus hits the ground, and then jump ball bomb unball jump back up ball and bounce up from the bomb… easier than it sounds, actually! And then some other space jump shenanigans too

So, at least as far as I know, nothing terribly useful gated behind early heat/cold unless you’re speedrunning.

There’s a glitch involving an assortment of abilities shine spark, flash shift, and grapple beam, and you can clip through one tile tall floors but you die if timing is off or floor is bigger that’s used in any %, thankfully I’ve only found good use for it to ragequit a bad run in 0% :v: https://twitter.com/gunmakuma/status/1452910258003722242

tonberi fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 27, 2021