Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

enigmahfc posted:

This seems like the best place to ask: Has anyone used card racks/card holders for board gaming? A friend of mine had to have surgery on her wrist, so holding a large hand of cards is not really something she can comfortably do right now. I was thinking of getting a set of some racks or holders, but was curious if anyone had any experience before really looking for some.

An upside down egg carton works great as a cheap card rack if she wanted to try playing with one.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How is Nemesis as a solo board game? Worth it for that alone, with the thought other people will join later after I know it well enough to teach?

Nemesis isn't really worth playing at any player count, and this is coming from someone who in this very thread wrote positive responses to my first couple sessions. I don't know if there are any solo specific rules, but removing the miniscule amount of intrigue from the MP game seems like you're just creating an aggressively tedious experience. I'm not even sure if you can get the action economy needed to perform some of those objectives (e.g., explore the entire ship). If you use it as an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the ruleset and flow of the game, then sure, but I don't think it'll be "fun."

As a MP game, I realized how bad the objectives are at actually generating intrigue, and wished I were playing BSG (or I guess Unfathomable now?). It's also VERY RNG dependent, where the line between victory/defeat is solely based on whether you can hit a 50/50, without being able to do much in the way of mitigating that.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Well poo poo, thanks for that. Any solo games that can scale up that you would recommend? I have Arkham Horror LCG, which seems to be the default recommendation (for good reason).

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

enigmahfc posted:

This seems like the best place to ask: Has anyone used card racks/card holders for board gaming? A friend of mine had to have surgery on her wrist, so holding a large hand of cards is not really something she can comfortably do right now. I was thinking of getting a set of some racks or holders, but was curious if anyone had any experience before really looking for some.

I also use the basic wood block ones that came with the 1st edition of Root/Riverfolk, and they are great not only for people with injuries but also just saving table space and ease of use for any card game. I've also had friends use something called Little Hands Playing Card Holder, which is a plastic thing with a handle that you hold it by, and the plastic slot hugs the cards so they don't fall out when you lift it up, and you can angle them or fan them however you want.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Well poo poo, thanks for that. Any solo games that can scale up that you would recommend? I have Arkham Horror LCG, which seems to be the default recommendation (for good reason).

Spirit Island is probably the other standard solo game recommendation, although it's not semi co-op the way Nemesis tries to be.

I need to play more of it, but I enjoyed what I've played of Bullet's solo boss mode. It's a fun spatial puzzle.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My favorite solo games in order

Spirit Island

Marvel Champions

Mage Knight

Feast for Odin

Pax Pamir 2

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
How is Too Many Bones solo? I heard it's good, but since it's a bucket o' dice I can't help but think the allure of the game might be the randomness over strategy.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Too Many Bones is fine solo but it's primarily an experience more than it is a puzzle, which makes it far better with a group. But I had the same reaction to the Arkham Horror LCG, and people love that solo.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Aeon’s End and it’s various flavors scale up pretty well, though it’s quite a bit harder at 4 than two (or two-handed solo).

Two-handed Gloomhaven or Jaws of the Lion are also great. Jaws of the Lion is a tighter experience, but OG Gloomhaven better accommodates players dropping in and out.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah Gloomhaven works well solo as well, and can scale up easily if you have friends who want to drop in to try a scenario or two.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
To scratch that Missions and Monsters itch, you could do worse than Cthulhu: Death May Die.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Any recommendations for good 3p games of low-medium complexity? (2 to 2.5 on bgg's weight scale)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

alcaras posted:

Any recommendations for good 3p games of low-medium complexity? (2 to 2.5 on bgg's weight scale)
Three choices in that range:
I feel like Pan Am is best at 3p and I like it quite a bit; one of the easiest games to explain
Parks is a great game and plays well at 3p
Opinion here is divided on Wingspan but it comes in at #21 overall on bgg

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

alcaras posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/262712/res-arcana

Res Arcana. A few icons to learn, but turns are lightning fast and the engine building is very rewarding and just feels good to play.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/319966/king-dead-second-edition

King is Dead 2nd Edition. You only 8 actions max, but there's a ton of decision making on when and what you do. One of the best 3p games in this space easily.

\/ yeah, if you're not burnt out on deckbuilding and/or haven't played a bunch of Dominion, it's a game that can take over a play group for months.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I like Dominion for 3. It’s a classic for a reason, and it does a good job of being legible for players who prefer simpler games while having enough depth to satisfy anybody.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Via Nebula
Quest for El Dorado
Reykholt
Loony Quest

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

enigmahfc posted:

It took me about 3 minutes to make a basic one with a chunk of pine 2x2 and a table saw for one of my buds.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A few games I have played recently at 3p:

Pan Am is a great game at 3p. It's a route-building, action-programming sort of game with mild bidding baked in. It is also not very expensive.

The King is Dead 2e is great at 3p as well. Easy to explain but it is also pretty "game-y" and might be a challenge for people who aren't familiar with modern games.

I think Calico is great at 3p. Tile-laying "puzzle" game where the puzzle is matching patterns and colors for optimal points.

Same goes for Azul.

e: Oh and it's not really a board game, but The Crew works pretty good at 3. It's a trick-taking card game where the rules are all about who can take what (or how many) tricks, and when. It's co-operative, but during the hand players may not communicate about their cards (except via the 'radio' mechanic.)

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 27, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

alcaras posted:

I love The Estates, probably my favorite game of that size category. 4p is ideal, but 3p is also pretty good.

Seconding King is Dead

Cartographers/Railroad Ink/Welcome To

Might be a bit on the complicated side (~2.7): Inis, London

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

grate deceiver posted:

I love The Estates, probably my favorite game of that size category. 4p is ideal, but 3p is also pretty good.

Seconding King is Dead

Cartographers/Railroad Ink/Welcome To

Might be a bit on the complicated side (~2.7): Inis, London

How is Inis 2p, by the way?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

How is Inis 2p, by the way?

Great. Very different experience but feels like dancing on a tightrope.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

GrandpaPants posted:

Nemesis isn't really worth playing at any player count, and this is coming from someone who in this very thread wrote positive responses to my first couple sessions. I don't know if there are any solo specific rules, but removing the miniscule amount of intrigue from the MP game seems like you're just creating an aggressively tedious experience. I'm not even sure if you can get the action economy needed to perform some of those objectives (e.g., explore the entire ship). If you use it as an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the ruleset and flow of the game, then sure, but I don't think it'll be "fun."

As a MP game, I realized how bad the objectives are at actually generating intrigue, and wished I were playing BSG (or I guess Unfathomable now?). It's also VERY RNG dependent, where the line between victory/defeat is solely based on whether you can hit a 50/50, without being able to do much in the way of mitigating that.

Yes. Nemesis has it's fans but I found it a bit tepid. It feels like there's 50% too much game there, where the excess half is just adding noise, chance and cumbersome detail to the game. I like the idea, but there's a leaner and more effective game hiding inside Nemesis's bloated carcass.

Which leads me to ask: what are the better "alien" type boardgames? Some entries are:

* Escape From the Aliens From Outer Space: essentially a paper hidden movement game that works quite well. No traitors / hidden motivations though
* Dark Darker Darkest: one of the worst games I've ever played
* Horrible Green Things: old school game that is more tribbles than aliens but works quite well

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Great. Very different experience but feels like dancing on a tightrope.

I love Inis 2p even more than at higher player counts because it eliminates my only gripe with it (at least in my group, holding out until the last minute and swooping in is usually the winning play). Sure, 2p has more potential for steamrolling, but a game lasts 20 mins, 30 tops so it's not a big deal. Drafting is a lot more intense.

alcaras posted:

Isle of Skye, Village Green (actually, not sure I'd call Village Green *good*, but it's fun enough for the footprint/price/playtime)

kalthir fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 27, 2021

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I don't know why people are so down on Nemesis. You know how in Alien movies some of the characters make bad decisions that get them killed? The game perfectly recreates that experience. As in, if you bought the game, you made a bad decision.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Llyranor posted:

I don't know why people are so down on Nemesis. You know how in Alien movies some of the characters make bad decisions that get them killed? The game perfectly recreates that experience. As in, if you bought the game, you made a bad decision.

... and you're going to get killed (own a mediocre game)

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

nonathlon posted:

Yes. Nemesis has it's fans but I found it a bit tepid. It feels like there's 50% too much game there, where the excess half is just adding noise, chance and cumbersome detail to the game. I like the idea, but there's a leaner and more effective game hiding inside Nemesis's bloated carcass.

Which leads me to ask: what are the better "alien" type boardgames? Some entries are:

* Escape From the Aliens From Outer Space: essentially a paper hidden movement game that works quite well. No traitors / hidden motivations though
* Dark Darker Darkest: one of the worst games I've ever played
* Horrible Green Things: old school game that is more tribbles than aliens but works quite well

Also not a traitor game, but Theseus is a pretty neat asymmetric mancala kind of game, with the base coming with two flavor of human, notXenomorphs and notgreyaliens. Pretty much strictly a 3p game by my recollection though, even if the rules support 2-4.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Any opinions on Res Arcana and/or its expansions?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It rules. Buy it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's on Board Game Arena if you want to try it out. After a few games there I found that it's definitely a game I want to learn.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

taser rates posted:

Also not a traitor game, but Theseus is a pretty neat asymmetric mancala kind of game, with the base coming with two flavor of human, notXenomorphs and notgreyaliens. Pretty much strictly a 3p game by my recollection though, even if the rules support 2-4.

I really enjoyed Theseus, it is in my pile of "favorite games no one else wants to play with me".

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The Eyes Have It posted:

I really enjoyed Theseus, it is in my pile of "favorite games no one else wants to play with me".

I should sell mine, the odds of me ever playing it are minimal. Just not impressed with it and would rather play a lot of other things.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

It's a very streamlined tableau builder. I liken it to Seasons with worse art, but MUCH smoother gameplay. I feel like the game needs a mulligan rule though, since not drawing your resource engines can be kinda lovely, but I haven't played enough to really say how unbalanced or unnecessary that is.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FulsomFrank posted:

The Eyes Have It posted:

I should sell mine, the odds of me ever playing it are minimal. Just not impressed with it and would rather play a lot of other things.

Instead of selling it, just replace the parts bit by bit over time. Eventually you'll hvave a new game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Instead of selling it, just replace the parts bit by bit over time. Eventually you'll hvave a new game.

I appreciated this reference, even though I did not like Theseus

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
Shot in the dark question: I'm trying to answer a quiz question where I have to guess board games from some partial card art, and there's one that I can't figure out for the life of me.

I'd rather not paste the image directly in here, as that somehow feels like overt cheating, but it's basically a cartoony drawing of a smirking blond viking warrior with a long braided beard, wearing a white fur thing on his shoulder and a horned helmet, twirling his mustache, propping up a spear with his right forearm that ends in a stump. It's drawn in this vaguely Asterix-y comic book style.
If any of this rings a bell to anyone, I can PM the pic over. Thanks y'all

poronty fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 29, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just post the pic in the thread.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm tracking down your quiz master and reporting you for cheating, op.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

Terminally Bored posted:

Absolutely amazing, and get the first expansion too. It tightens the setup based on player count and adds the Scroll magic item which I would never play without

The second expansion just adds more depth of gameplay, which is great, but not essential

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

My opinion on Res Arcana is that w/out an initial draft for your deck, there's not a lot of game. For my one play after sitting through a protracted teach that red symbol meant you take red token, the guy still wasn't sure we'd all got it and just dealt out a hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Res Arcana has become one of my group's favorite games this year. We play it in person and also on boardgamearena asynchronously. We have never drafted and it's still a great game, where even though random decks can be a little unbalanced the games are almost always incredibly close.