Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Davros1 posted:

My favorite YouTube videos are the ones who tell you "Don't buy this business' food! I'll show you how to make one at home that's better!" (i.e. "Don't buy a Big Mac! I'll show you how to make one at home that's better!") And then the whole thing turns out to be this incredibly involved, time consuming, and expensive ordeal.

The zucchini thing drives me nuts because frozen food by design is for when you don't have the time/energy to cook from scratch. Sure you can trash up your entire kitchen with breading and frying stations instead of just throwing this poo poo in the oven and it's obviously going to be a few cents cheaper and taste better but that's missing the point

Kitchen Witch was one of the first shorts I purchased and remains one of my all-time favorites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
You fool, you idiot! Buying prebaked bread?! Flour is a tenth the cost! You're just tossing 13˘ down the drain!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

World Famous W posted:

You're just tossing 13˘ down the drain!

I try to temper my reaction realizing I'm pretty well off now, but even when I was living on food stamps, food budgeting wasn't coming down to pennies, so this whole short was so baffling.

It was actually way more efficient to buy the frozen meals and other assorted processed garbage than fresh produce or meats.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I try to temper my reaction realizing I'm pretty well off now, but even when I was living on food stamps, food budgeting wasn't coming down to pennies, so this whole short was so baffling.

It was actually way more efficient to buy the frozen meals and other assorted processed garbage than fresh produce or meats.

This is the one place where that short can be defended: it was made before inflation hit in the 1970s so saving 50˘ or so on groceries might actually matter if you did it consistently.

On a similar note, the famous Henry Slinkmann short Buying Food actually has information about the subject that's still relevant (buy seasonal stuff when it's in season, buy the amount of food you'll actually eat, avoid raw milk, don't impulse buy three pints of oysters, etc), even if the presentation is so dated its funny.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 15, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is the one place where that short can be defended: it was made before inflation hit in the 1970s so saving 50˘ or so on groceries might actually matter if you did it consistently.

Yeah, like the inflation makes it help make more sense but even then, the difference in cost between the fresh zucchini and the breaded zucchini she's railing against comes out to ~80 cents today which is still worth it to not have to chop and bread my own zucchini before I can eat it for dinner.

Henry Slinkmann conversely is super helpful at all times.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

McBain is like Stone Cold, in that they aren't so much movies as they are a series of movie tropes strung together by a special effects budget.

"This'll either be the biggest porkchop I ever ate... or my bulldozer" is a line that still haunts me.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

By popular demand posted:

To create a plot involving a good guy Tonton Macoute shaman requires either unimaginable stupidity or deep psychopathy.
after watching that movie several times I still can't say which is it.

Since it also involves a xoom of an underage girl having her boobs nuzzled by a a cadaveric head (as a minor plot point!) , I'll go with psycopathy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

"This'll either be the biggest porkchop I ever ate... or my bulldozer" is a line that still haunts me.

So thats... good?

I love that line because it makes sense, but it just sucks so hard and is delivered with so much enthusiasm by a pretty good actor. I just imagine they were workshopping that line constantly in filming and just gave up when they remembered they were making Stone Cold

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Lance Hendriksen has two qualities as an actor. He can deliver the stupidest lines ever written with total conviction, and he'll appear in anything that pays.

I don't mean that as a criticism at all. It's why he's one of my favorite actors who shows up in my least favorite films.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 17, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barudak posted:

So thats... good?

I love that line because it makes sense, but it just sucks so hard and is delivered with so much enthusiasm by a pretty good actor. I just imagine they were workshopping that line constantly in filming and just gave up when they remembered they were making Stone Cold

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do adore it. It's up there with Showgirls' famous "Everybody got AIDS and poo poo!" It's just sometimes I will be driving or whatever and randomly it inserts itself unbidden into my head.

Kevin is right in that riff. It is in fact the greatest movie ever made.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry if I was misunderstood, that lines great and we all love it. Its just the "is that good" puzzlement to both parts of the line that get me every time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If physical media is still your jam, RiffTrax is doing a massive clearance sale: https://www.rifftrax.com/offers?fbclid=IwAR3m55cLNyim6zSTNFQ2z6FVFv77G2se9bDwOgRq9fVN1p7JK4EnZeA5vbI

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The craziest thing about Teenage Space Vampires is that, for a film with that title, it was made in my lifetime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching Teenage Vampires and I'm very confused by the scene where a character claims the first lunar eclipse was reported in the 1800s. Also the vampires make sure to take the time to compete in a high school soccer match.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Really enjoyed that live show.

https://www.rifftrax.com/evil

coupon codes are KITTY and LAMP

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah, that was a solid RiffTrax movie. Constantly distracted by the son's terrible hair and the fact that the priest must have joined the church after his linebacker career went nowhere. He had a real Henry Cavill quality to him.

The short came off like they had a robot watch a bunch of work accident videos and then had it write its own.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amityville 4 is a very strange movie. Like for the majority of the runtime the main characters aren't even aware that there's anything actually going on. Also the evil lamp's powers are incredibly vague and apparently limitless seeing as it drives the plumber van away from the house.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I didn't get to see it, sadly. But there's no way that short is dethroning the seneschal.

Just rewatched Hobgoblins a few days ago and that was probably my favorite short in a long time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gavok posted:

Yeah, that was a solid RiffTrax movie. Constantly distracted by the son's terrible hair and the fact that the priest must have joined the church after his linebacker career went nowhere. He had a real Henry Cavill quality to him.

The short came off like they had a robot watch a bunch of work accident videos and then had it write its own.
I loved that at no point did they ever find the dead plumber under the house

That movie also had multiple Star Trek connections, between the son who played Nog on Deep Space Nine, and the grandmother who played Spock's mom on TOS (which they made a joke about at one point). Norman Lloyd (the old priest) also guested on TNG as Picard's mentor, Professor Galen.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I didn't get to see it, sadly. But there's no way that short is dethroning the seneschal.

It's close, but I'm giving tonight's short the nod. Imagine one of those factory safety videos if it spent a lot of its energy randomly discussing how delicious tomatoes are and had the human equivalent of Dropo involved (I mean, I guess Santa is the human equivalent of Dropo, but you know what I mean).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Breadallelogram posted:

Really enjoyed that live show.

https://www.rifftrax.com/evil

coupon codes are KITTY and LAMP

I can't get the achievement :(

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
If you must watch one industrial-accident short with multiple sensuous tomato-eating (and licking) scenes, please consider that one.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

I can't get the achievement :(

it wasn't working for me last night but I just tried and it's good now

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lloyd (the old priest) also guested on TNG as Picard's mentor, Professor Galen.

I thought that guy seemed familiar.

Also, it was funny to me that the movie introduced the guy in a high school jacket as a potential love interest for the older daughter, he gets mangled, and we never see the poor bastard again except a line of dialogue that “he’ll live”.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The goofiest part was definitely how the lamp wasn't originally evil, which means someone made an evil looking lamp for some reason.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That or the hell cat at the end.

Also, why is it always little girls who get possessed? Satan likes robbing the cradle when it comes to souls.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Actually the funniest thing about Amityville 4 is that at the end of Amityville 3 the house explodes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What was the old priest thinking anyways? The demon melted the phone, the lamp is clearly possessed. It took six of us t"o exorcise the place last time but, nah, we can just send the one guy. How bad can a lamp be?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

3 more episodes of Brits talking over a failed spookternatural anthology series? Don't mind if I do

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Barudak posted:

3 more episodes of Brits talking over a failed spookternatural anthology series? Don't mind if I do

The first episode in that one has Eddy Crane in it!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tomorrow night's movie with the Mads is Voyage to the Planet of the Prehistoric Women. That should be fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I recently watched an older riff, Terror in the Wax Museum and that one is an odd duck due to the constant red herrings the movie throws at you. Like there is legitimately no way of knowing who the killer is until the final reveal. Mostly because they don't give you any clues.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Today's new Youtube movie is Plan 9 From Outer Space, in color!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpdjMHLN9V8&t=3326s
Cover your face and pretend to be Bela Lugosi!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's release is Dangerous Men. A movie that was filmed in the 80s but didn't get released until 2005. Also featured on the Youtube series Best of the Worst.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

muscles like this! posted:

I recently watched an older riff, Terror in the Wax Museum and that one is an odd duck due to the constant red herrings the movie throws at you. Like there is legitimately no way of knowing who the killer is until the final reveal. Mostly because they don't give you any clues.
I honestly had to rewatch it because the explanation at the end was such poo poo. "By the way, the criminal was a master of disguise and acting. No, there has been no hint of that so far"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So it's a Sherlock Holmes story, then

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

This week's release is Dangerous Men. A movie that was filmed in the 80s but didn't get released until 2005. Also featured on the Youtube series Best of the Worst.

That's where I heard about it from. It seems like... kind of a lot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The plot is completely confusing and the soundtrack is extremely infuriating.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

quote:

Contains scenes of attempted sexual assault, smoking, bloody 80s violence, incessant slap bass, 80s nudity, sexual situations, adult 80s language, and a "butt knife"

Welp, I'm sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You had me at "butt knife".