Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Tomberforce posted:

Are they doing their usual thing of setting laughably weak targets which they can hit easily and then strut around pretending they've achieved something?

I watched Scomo's press thingy while waiting in the doctor's office and yep. His entire spiel was basically that other people want to shoot for the sky but his government has an actual PLAN to hit their target. He said PLAN so many times it was even harder to listen to him than usual. But yeah, "our targets are poo poo but we PLAN to hit them so please clap."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I'm sorry what

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm sorry what

all cyborgs are bastards

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

snickothemule posted:

Breezing through the Long Term Emissions Reduction Plan and it's pretty milquetoast. Still championing gas and coal and making wafty statements about hydrogen, but it's dire when it comes to looking at numbers, firm strategy and methodology to achieve reductions.

On top of that there's plenty of blue and black gradients which are poo poo to read.

Nice slick attempt to skate on through by doing the bare minimum. The amount of funding is laughable at best, considering how important the net zero target is and currently only a fraction of current fuel subsidy expenditure goes to renewables.

New blue hydrogen plant going up in Perth. Can't be making green hydrogen, need to keep those natural gas revenues up.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This is the emissions equivalent of those BACK IN BLACK mugs.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
gently caress we are going to look so stupid at Glasgow.

Saw some BBC report saying we were one of 3 Nations trying to undermine the internstional report about the severity of needing to adopt cleaner tech and it was disheartening to see.

It took us 2 consecutive Labor PMs to get us setup to be competitive internationally, and it only took 3 Liberal PM'S to make us look like a country of hillbillies.

3 years of policies with Morrison could have set us up for a decade of prosperity, record opportunities to invest in our infrastructure, transforming us into an international juggernaut from resources, to education, to job offering, agriculture, manufacture, quality of living, improvements to indigenous relations, we have so much to grow with and well....

We're sitting around fiddling with our pricks and giving our riches away.

Been a long day and I'm sick of this fat rear end in a top hat doing the bare minimum and telling us to like it.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Senor Tron posted:

This is the emissions equivalent of those BACK IN BLACK mugs.

Couldn't remember this, so I went looking and found this instead. I know it's an old tweet but really, is that the best loving photo you could find of yourself?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

snickothemule posted:

gently caress we are going to look so stupid at Glasgow.

Saw some BBC report saying we were one of 3 Nations trying to undermine the internstional report about the severity of needing to adopt cleaner tech and it was disheartening to see.

It took us 2 consecutive Labor PMs to get us setup to be competitive internationally, and it only took 3 Liberal PM'S to make us look like a country of hillbillies.

3 years of policies with Morrison could have set us up for a decade of prosperity, record opportunities to invest in our infrastructure, transforming us into an international juggernaut from resources, to education, to job offering, agriculture, manufacture, quality of living, improvements to indigenous relations, we have so much to grow with and well....

We're sitting around fiddling with our pricks and giving our riches away.

Been a long day and I'm sick of this fat rear end in a top hat doing the bare minimum and telling us to like it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

SecretOfSteel posted:

Couldn't remember this, so I went looking and found this instead. I know it's an old tweet but really, is that the best loving photo you could find of yourself?

he's having a cheeky wank and there's nothing you can do about it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the last thing a woman sees looking at her from across the sports bar at Northies Cronulla before shes never seen again

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I can't believe he's now our longest serving PM since Howard

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

*screaming*

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So why does a country with mandatory voting need voter ID laws?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helith posted:

So why does a country with mandatory voting need voter ID laws?
So you get to fine poor people

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

At this point just change the national anthem and any question asked internationally about us to this one simple phrase:

"Wot, me worry?"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well my day couldnt get much worse....

freebooter posted:

Oh dear god it just did.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Just deliver this poo poo verbatim at Glasgow. Why not?

Squidtits
Mar 30, 2004
Spank me, you know you wanna
I live in Albury and am getting to see first hand what opening up NSW will do to the regional areas.
Of NSW 284 cases 40 of them in Albury with another 30+ over the border in Vic. I read on that adjusted for population it's equivalent to over 3000 cases a day if it were Sydney!

Almost every school is closed or was closed at some point in the last week and parents have been asked not send kids to school by bus where they are open. My daughter's school reopened but less than 1/4 of kids have come back, some are isolating still but I am guessing that the rest are in varying degrees of vaccination. The area the school is located in is only 50-60% double dosed and one of the poorest suburbs.

My daughter said that she only knows 3 others than herself that are fully vaxxed.

My wife said that the shopping centres are fairly empty which is probably a good thing.

I am staying home despite being fully vaccinated as I just had surgery last week. 18 months on the waiting list as a public patient only to get a call with 5 days notice that it would go ahead in the private hospital. I don't know if they are trying to clear backlogs before they are overwhelmed but I am glad it's happened finally.

Quick edit to add
Testing venues are turning people away after 10am because they can't get through the amount of people

Squidtits fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 26, 2021

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Seemlar posted:

Just gonna go down to the local Brashs and see if I can get a refund on my minidisc player that gives me random electric shocks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Carbon capture and storage is bullshit and no attempt in the world had shown good results.

Blue hydrogen is bullshit and is just a way for coal mines keep digging poo poo up

The biggest direct carbon capture plant in the world opened in Iceland and it only captures the equivalent of the output of about 900 cars a year.

The Glasgow meeting is going to be a whole bunch of countries arguing about how their bullshit is so much better than everyone else's.

NET zero is just a weasel term to justify continuing to output huge amounts of carbon into the atmosphere but saying you'll make up for it in some magical technological way.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Seemlar posted:

Climate Change won't be a problem because tv size go up.

freebooter posted:

Assuming he doesn't get rolled in the next few months he's going to be the first PM since Howard to actually serve out a full term.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Squidtits posted:

I live in Albury and am getting to see first hand what opening up NSW will do to the regional areas.
Of NSW 284 cases 40 of them in Albury with another 30+ over the border in Vic. I read on that adjusted for population it's equivalent to over 3000 cases a day if it were Sydney!

Almost every school is closed or was closed at some point in the last week and parents have been asked not send kids to school by bus where they are open. My daughter's school reopened but less than 1/4 of kids have come back, some are isolating still but I am guessing that the rest are in varying degrees of vaccination. The area the school is located in is only 50-60% double dosed and one of the poorest suburbs.

My daughter said that she only knows 3 others than herself that are fully vaxxed.

My wife said that the shopping centres are fairly empty which is probably a good thing.

I am staying home despite being fully vaccinated as I just had surgery last week. 18 months on the waiting list as a public patient only to get a call with 5 days notice that it would go ahead in the private hospital. I don't know if they are trying to clear backlogs before they are overwhelmed but I am glad it's happened finally.

Quick edit to add
Testing venues are turning people away after 10am because they can't get through the amount of people

We should absolutely be redirecting resources to the regions to ensure that high levels of testing and vaccination can be maintained.

NSW is in an enviable position vaccination wise, but that's no excuse to slack off. We need to drive the rates even higher, faster. We also need to prepare right now for when vaccines become available to under 12s. The uptake for 12-15 year olds was huge and rapid. It's likely the same will be true for 5-11 year olds and we need to make sure we can meet the demand quickly.

12+
First dose- 92.3%
Second dose- 83.7%

Whole population
First dose- 78.7%
Second dose- 71.3%

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

starkebn posted:

Carbon capture and storage is bullshit and no attempt in the world had shown good results.

Blue hydrogen is bullshit and is just a way for coal mines keep digging poo poo up

The biggest direct carbon capture plant in the world opened in Iceland and it only captures the equivalent of the output of about 900 cars a year.

The Glasgow meeting is going to be a whole bunch of countries arguing about how their bullshit is so much better than everyone else's.

NET zero is just a weasel term to justify continuing to output huge amounts of carbon into the atmosphere but saying you'll make up for it in some magical technological way.

Wilson was on the project saying something about a carbon capture project turning out bricks. I thought "atmospheric carbon to building material? Sounds like trees".

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

there was more than one?? :psyduck:

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Amoeba102 posted:

Wilson was on the project saying something about a carbon capture project turning out bricks. I thought "atmospheric carbon to building material? Sounds like trees".
Like trees, but so much worse.

I doubt CCS is going to work in our lifetime, let alone the time needed to “save the world” but that reminded me of something I looked at recently: Making carbon nanotubes and carbon products while producing hydrogen.

A work-friendish guy tried to sell me on investing in the company doing this or going to do this - I don’t really know because I couldn’t cut through the marketing spin at a glance. This guy presumably didn’t realise I don’t have the kind of money or knowledge to be investing in things… It’s weird making new friends as an adult, especially at work where it feels like we are on very uneven footing because of our roles.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Of course, it's trees with more steps and less efficiency.

Why do we want to turn methane into nanotubes, when it's carbon dioxide already in the atmosphere, or going to be released, we have a problem with? You can make hydrogen by passing a current through water using an electrolyser.
You can make carbon nanotubes already, and the process by nature, keeps the carbon sequestered.
It's not solving any problems.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I've been lucky enough to score a tour of the SA Green Hydrogen plant in a couple weeks time. Really looking forwards to seeing all the gubbins in action, because at heart I'm seven years old and I love cool machines.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amoeba102 posted:

Of course, it's trees with more steps and less efficiency.

Why do we want to turn methane into nanotubes, when it's carbon dioxide already in the atmosphere, or going to be released, we have a problem with? You can make hydrogen by passing a current through water using an electrolyser.
You can make carbon nanotubes already, and the process by nature, keeps the carbon sequestered.

It's the capitalism thing of every problem can't be solved by stopping doing the thing, it can only be dealt with by layering another set of profit seeking activities on top of it.

We don't stop emitting CO2, we do carbon capture and storage. We don't stop old growth logging, we put a bunch of forest regrowth businesses in place.

EDIT: We don't stop burning natural gas, we burn it to make hydrogen instead.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Good to see that Chris Uhlmann is holding the ACT Government to account for its claims of net zero energy.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

Shareholder returns.

slorb
May 14, 2002
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/almost-useless-700-000-covid-19-case-alerts-hidden-in-nsw-phone-app-20211026-p5939x.html

I don't understand how the people who make Australian covid apps are so terrible at it.

Apparently the NSW QR code check in app will only tell you if you've been to an exposure site if you scroll through your check in history. It doesn't seem to be an attempt to avoid a pingdemic as they already watered down the definition of a close contact to reduce the number of people who need to isolate weeks ago.

COVIDSafe was a failure, I don't think any Australian app has a verifiable vaccination certificate yet, it's all total garbage.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

slorb posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/almost-useless-700-000-covid-19-case-alerts-hidden-in-nsw-phone-app-20211026-p5939x.html

I don't understand how the people who make Australian covid apps are so terrible at it.

Apparently the NSW QR code check in app will only tell you if you've been to an exposure site if you scroll through your check in history. It doesn't seem to be an attempt to avoid a pingdemic as they already watered down the definition of a close contact to reduce the number of people who need to isolate weeks ago.

COVIDSafe was a failure, I don't think any Australian app has a verifiable vaccination certificate yet, it's all total garbage.

lol I just scrolled through my history and turns out I was potentially exposed a week ago, but apparently just have to monitor for symptoms and get tested if I'm unwell. isn't that standard advice already?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Au posted:

Police disproportionately fined residents of western Sydney for Covid-19 breaches during the most recent outbreak, new data shows, despite surveys suggesting its residents were among the most compliant in the state.

“There is no evidence that people in areas of concern or young people are engaging in more non-compliant activities,” the report said. “Overall, our results suggest that breaches are largely enforcement-driven rather than reflecting underlying patterns of non-compliance.”

Bocsar said its evidence suggested “increased enforcement activity at certain times and locations” was the major factor behind the higher number of breaches for young men with a recent criminal history in the LGAs of concern.

A high proportion of the breaches occurred because police were searching people for other reasons, including suspected drug offences.

:lol:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
NSW neighbors also trying to cancel Halloween.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-27/woman-takes-down-halloween-decoration-after-police-called/100569688 posted:

But a Forbes household's attempt to participate in the custom took a serious twist on the weekend when police received multiple complaints from neighbours about a gruesome decoration hanging from Renée Ryan's Hills Hoist.

Why does NSW hate everything good in this world. :(

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 27, 2021

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Wow, what do you know.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Poor pidgo tried to hide from the paparazzi but yet still they came. :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

slorb posted:

They're all farmed out to the lowest bidder/some politician's worthless nephew who is totally good with computers, I imagine.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
And Sydney has a new cluster.

quote:

We have been notified of 15 confirmed cases of COVID-19 who either attended City Gym, Darlinghurst, while infectious or acquired their infection at the venue.

People who attended this gym at certain times on 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 or 25 October 2021 are considered casual contacts and must immediately get tested and isolate until a negative result is received. If you receive a negative result, please continue to monitor for symptoms and if any symptoms appear, get tested and isolate again.

Our Public Health Unit has contacted people who attended the gym at times when other cases were present. Other gym users on those days should monitor for symptoms and get tested if symptoms arise.

This advice must be followed, even if you are fully vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Lolie posted:

And Sydney has a new cluster.

So this and a couple of IRL examples from friends has got me thinking: what is this new freedom in Victoria going to look like over the next six months? Let's say you're out, double-vaxxed and checking in, and you've been told that you've done everything right, which is why you now have the freedom to live life like it's 2019 again. But then something brings you back to the pandemic. Maybe you get told you've been at an exposure site and you have to quarantine again, maybe your child's school has a Tier 1 case and now you have to look after them for two weeks. Maybe you get a breakthrough case and you're stuck in an overburdened hospital. There's just too many ways that this freedom that's just returned can be taken away from you, and I don't see how this isn't going to create problems of non-compliance, further spread of COVID and maybe even another (albeit much smaller) lockdown down the road.