Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DLC Inc posted:

it's sort of replacing the township aspect with the more common "doing it in runs" that most roguelites have though you do improve your characters on a more individual basis with their story skill unlocks / characters / trinkets and then some. It's def more streamlined this time around but I'm guessing it was to curb some of the grindier aspects and free up the opportunity to put more encounter-based stuff in the game.

I definitely like this aspect a lot more since at least I don't have to worry about sending my party into a dungeon and losing everyone and having to grind all the way back up. Maybe that's just a function of being used to losing "runs" in roguelikes. Like I can feel free to suck at this game without crippling myself for a long time, at least I'm making some incremental progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

jokes posted:

Darkest Dungeon 2 - Ride or Die

Ride and/or Die

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, can't say I'm a fan of enemies getting death's door. Maybe that's a setting you can toggle later

Is it better or worse than the constant 'leave them at 1'?

On the other hand, I eagerly await seeing something like 10 turns of slugging with both at Death's Door, neither one actually dying off.

quote:

Ride and/or Die

"If at first you die, Ride, Ride, again." Plays into the re-run aspect.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 27, 2021

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
The combat is punishing which I love, but the RNG of goals for the route that ultimately decides if you get anything is super frustrating. Took a route with the goal of avoiding more than 3 road fights, carefully scoping each path and still ran into 4 road fights. That’s it, no reward for completing the route, better luck next time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

down n out posted:

The combat is punishing which I love, but the RNG of goals for the route that ultimately decides if you get anything is super frustrating. Took a route with the goal of avoiding more than 3 road fights, carefully scoping each path and still ran into 4 road fights. That’s it, no reward for completing the route, better luck next time.

lol I literally JUST did that one, I felt the same way. 3 is a hilarious number for that quest when you regularly get 4 to 6 road fights per map.

Taking the upgrades to Bolster/Ounce changes the entire game. Went from all my team hating each other, to being so Friendly that my MaA is currently Amorous with all 3 others lol. I'm hoping other character get similar stress-reducing skill upgrades as well because as is, those two skills are extremely good for how to "get good" in fights. The bonuses from keeping stress low and having teammates tank stuff/double-team/heal you with encouragement are nuts.

Also a big fan of winning fights in the Pitch Black usually rewards me with a +40 light to help me along. Not sure if that's just when you beat invading cultist enemies but it's a nice touch.

Bloodly posted:

Is it better or worse than the constant 'leave them at 1'?

On the other hand, I eagerly await seeing something like 10 turns of slugging with both at Death's Door, neither one actually dying off.

Death's Door is worth it just to see the animation of that big daddy zombie woodcutter, lurching onto one knee and sadly gazing at his little doll before meeting his end. The personality for the enemies is just amazing.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Death's Door is worth it just to see the animation of that big daddy zombie woodcutter, lurching onto one knee and sadly gazing at his little doll before meeting his end. The personality for the enemies is just amazing.
Yeah, that one was really heartbreaking to see, which I´d never think that I´d say about a giant zombie.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

DLC Inc posted:

That's something I noticed more too. Both heroes and enemies personalities are much more nuanced, and the barks are bringing the characters more to life. I'm digging the Highwayman's interactions because he's less skulky and more heroic than I had thought.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

That's something I noticed more too. Both heroes and enemies personalities are much more nuanced, and the barks are bringing the characters more to life. I'm digging the Highwayman's interactions because he's less skulky and more heroic than I had thought.

The default name for the Highwayman (Dismas) is actually a pretty cool biblical reference that ties into that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penitent_thief
(no ive definitely never made ocs called dismas just because of the first game what are you talking about)

I figure it'll get added at some point, but I kinda wish there was some record of your runs. I just finished my first ever completion and I would like some sort of detailed set of logs or something, because my Highwayman & Man-at-arms fell in love in the first area and stayed steady all the way through the giant brain, and having the game record that somehow would be nice.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Any guesses as to game length? It seems people are beating a run pretty quickly, how many runs would it take to 100%? Obviously don't expect any definite answers as it's just come out but still curious before getting, deciding between holding off early access for Steam rather than Epic.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

:buddy: That was probably the part of the game I put the single greatest amount of time and effort into, apart from editing some [REDACTED]. Since the animations have so much personality it felt important to echo that and enhance it everywhere I could squeeze in before the EA deadline. And like the Red Hook site says - there'll be more where that came from. I cannot wait to see this game come into its final form.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
As I mentioned upthread, our animator is a miracle worker. (And the character model artist ain’t no slouch either!)

I contributed nothing to the personality or charm of the characters but uh you know when they have the colors…pretty lights….lines….crumbly….i did that…

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I understand why the wagon feels so unresponsive, because it's a freaking wagon, but hiding goodies in obstacles that force you to zigzag to pick them up is game-y and makes no sense. I'd prefer if the movement was automated, add some random finds on the road that occasionally pop up and stop before crossroads/road battles so I can move trinkets around or choose a destination.

Day 1 impressions, EA, etc...

EDIT: Plague Eaters chomping on tombstones seem counterintuitive. Why bother killing the Fodder guy if the other one is going to eat it anyway?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 27, 2021

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Xibanya posted:

As I mentioned upthread, our animator is a miracle worker. (And the character model artist ain’t no slouch either!)

I contributed nothing to the personality or charm of the characters but uh you know when they have the colors…pretty lights….lines….crumbly….i did that…

Look when you walk into a nightclub the lighting is 100% of the personality and charm.

Pretend for a moment that clubbing is still a thing. Pretend for a longer moment that game devs go clubbing.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

jokes posted:

Seems the thread title should change to something more appropriate given we’re firmly not crawling dungeons anymore.

More of a road warrior thing really

I'm actually way more down with this this time, on paper at least. Having an armoured caravan crashing through cosmic horrors cribs and dispensing some white hot hope sounds like a good time to me. :getin:

I'd be perfectly okay with literally having the same thing as DD1 but I applaud the designers taking the risk and trying something new.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Fat Samurai posted:

I'd prefer if the movement was automated

double tap the up arrow/w

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

DLC Inc posted:

ah, would really like a Virtuous chance for sure.

How long is a run? 4 or 5 locales explored?

I want to say 4, but I wasn't keeping track.

Desdinova posted:

Any guesses as to game length? It seems people are beating a run pretty quickly, how many runs would it take to 100%? Obviously don't expect any definite answers as it's just come out but still curious before getting, deciding between holding off early access for Steam rather than Epic.

Profile level goes up to fifty, I've cleared the game 4 times and am at level 19.
As you gain profile levels you unlock more stuff (trinkets, consumables, good and bad quirks), later levels look incomplete.
During a run you get 2-4 chances to unlock new skills for your characters, each of which have 6 skills to unlock.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 27, 2021

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Xibanya posted:

double tap the up arrow/w

I mean not having to pinball all over the road trying to drive through obstacles like the kool aid man. It distracts me from the banter, makes no sense thematically and looks silly.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Fat Samurai posted:

I mean not having to pinball all over the road trying to drive through obstacles like the kool aid man. It distracts me from the banter, makes no sense thematically and looks silly.

then don't do it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Xibanya posted:

then don't do it.

Tutorial told me to do it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Fat Samurai posted:

Tutorial told me to do it.

you mean this tutorial?

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 27, 2021

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Will hero shrines not spawn when you eventually unlock all the skills? Or just give mastery points?

I don't like that each skill only gets an 'upgraded' version and that's it. And as mentioned, some skills rely heavily on being upgraded (anything that gains stress heal as part of its effect is potent). Some get marginally better utility (like heals that no longer require the target to have below X% hp to work) and then most of the melee skills get barely more damage. In the first game, overall performance was often a combination of your weapon level (base dmg, crit, and spd) and skill level (accuracy, dmg mod, crit mod). But in the sequel they've stripped this way down. Originally you could have a hero that went from doing piddly single digit damage to massive burst damage from phat crits,now I feel like there's much less of an outward boost in damage output.

If you have 'weakness' then DoT abilities are good options because they exhaust the debuff. But honestly I think any skill should do it, as this makes a support centered kit more resilient vs these types of effects.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Xibanya posted:

you mean this tutorial?

That one, yeah. The game claims you have to "make the best of a bad situation", which implies that scraping up every resource is important. Enter a barely controlled wagon zigzagging wildly to ram every rock, because it's the most efficient way to play.

Take a look at the roguelike thread:

Broken Cog posted:

The wagon minigame kinda just feels like a gimmick tbh, not really sure it adds to the game.

Jack Trades posted:

Wagon minigame needs mouse controls badly.

goferchan posted:

It's the one aspect of the game that I think needs to totally go out the window lol. Really bizarre decision. I do like the general idea of the wagon trip though.

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly feels like padding, so the map isn't exactly the same as in StS.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just make it automated and a little bit faster and it'd be fine I think.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I'm not sure it's going to be helpful to have someone with a vested interest here arguing with everyone who doesn't like a game mechanic, and telling them it's fine.

Like some mechanics may need improvement, or would be better a different way. That's okay.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m on a “no early access” kick for years now; but based on the picture/description and some posts in this thread, is the conceit of DD2 that the world has fallen to ruin as a result of DD1 events and they need to carry the flame of hope to … the top of a mountain? To stop (or delay?) the looming apocalypse, which is occurring The Road style, and there’s no specificity to what the apocalypse is or looks like.

And there are many stagecoaches with many flames of hope or just one ever? Wondering how meta progression ties into the plot since, ya know, people (and the stagecoach they’re guarding) will die.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Xibanya posted:

I said this on twitter to one of the artists but DD2 managing to move to 3d models while keeping the animation flair is fantastic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like the UI could be slightly better. Like the way to look up info on enemies and attacks feels a tiny bit worse than in DD1?

Anyway, love the game so far, don't want to be a downer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

jokes posted:

I’m on a “no early access” kick for years now; but based on the picture/description and some posts in this thread, is the conceit of DD2 that the world has fallen to ruin as a result of DD1 events and they need to carry the flame of hope to … the top of a mountain? To stop (or delay?) the looming apocalypse, which is occurring The Road style, and there’s no specificity to what the apocalypse is or looks like.

And there are many stagecoaches with many flames of hope or just one ever? Wondering how meta progression ties into the plot since, ya know, people (and the stagecoach they’re guarding) will die.

I'm not quite sure what the plot conceit even is but I'm ok with it; world went to poo poo and we're trying to help out.

Meta progression isn't tied into the ludonarrative dissonance i.e. it's why your characters unlock more skills thru each run even though each character is a finite, "named" person. In a way it's like the bosses in DD1: all of them are clearly based on a singular narrative entity yet you have to kill each one 3 times. I just think of it as a campfire story wherein the bits and pieces are revealed with each retelling.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Plot seems to be Ancestor hitting up his frat brother to go bring some glowy thing to the top of the mountain which totally won't be a big scam like last time, right?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like the UI could be slightly better. Like the way to look up info on enemies and attacks feels a tiny bit worse than in DD1?
It's difficult for me to even figure out what some of the symbols on my poo poo mean. The UI is definitely lacking a bit.

That said, this game is gorgeous and I'm genuinely impressed with how they managed to make it feel like DD but deliver a very different experience.

And I like the wagon minigame, gently caress you guys (Red Hook make it faster tho)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

please PLEASE rush to get the Plague Doctor's 2nd story part lol.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Soothing Vapors posted:

It's difficult for me to even figure out what some of the symbols on my poo poo mean. The UI is definitely lacking a bit.

Yeah there's a lot of the UI I think isn't presented very well at all.

Soothing Vapors posted:

That said, this game is gorgeous and I'm genuinely impressed with how they managed to make it feel like DD but deliver a very different experience.

And I like the wagon minigame, gently caress you guys (Red Hook make it faster tho)

I would like the wagon if I could just simply go left to right when I hit those buttons instead of the steering feeling more "realistic". I don't find how the wagon handles enjoyable. I like the concept it just doesn't feel great.

There's a lot of stuff right now that doesn't feel quite as polished yet as DD1 did when it was in Early Access, with the exception of the visuals which are obviously stellar. I really enjoy the Highwayman's knife spin animation when you select that ability

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Panfilo posted:

Plot seems to be Ancestor hitting up his frat brother to go bring some glowy thing to the top of the mountain which totally won't be a big scam like last time, right?

The voice might be the same, but the character's entirely different. He's 'The Academic' now. Not the Ancestor.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I have unfounded suspicions that time is a flat circle and the Academic is the ancestor in a much later 'loop' than the original Darkest Dungeon

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
I don't really want to go through the trouble of trying to get EGS running on Linux so I'll probably wait 'til this is out on steam, but it's definitely looking pretty nice so far. From what I was able to tell from from the VOD I watched of it, stress management seems even more important than in the original, since it looks like at high levels of stress you characters are both more likely to comment than at low stress, and at high stress all intra-party barks seem to be back biting and infighting. The guy streaming seemed like he didn't quite figure that out at any point in his run.

Also it kinda made me wanna draw, and I know modding is on the table (though given the move to 3d it will likely be more difficult) so I just sorta doodled an idea down, not that I really had anything else aside from the image in mind.

Probably leans too heavily into my own appeals, but eh.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crasical posted:

I have unfounded suspicions that time is a flat circle and the Academic is the ancestor in a much later 'loop' than the original Darkest Dungeon

A hollow, ridiculous notion.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ancestor is the guy who provided all the grants for the Academic. The mutated women and strangled wizards were probably just some weird coincidence, look buddy to you want to make tenure or not?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

am i insane or was dd2 supposed to be set in a 'mountains of madness' antarctic at one point?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whew ok that's 1 run beaten. I'm assuming the other 4 "confessions" are the ones that will eventually be getting done in the next few months. I'll probably do just one more to try out the Jester and Runaway and then break from it til whenever a major update comes round.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuligin posted:

am i insane or was dd2 supposed to be set in a 'mountains of madness' antarctic at one point?

That was an assumption based on early screenshots set in snowy mountains and a description of the game as being an arduous journey instead of a set base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Fuligin posted:

Well, Act 1 do end with you entering a mountain cave above the snowline..