Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Yeah cutco always struck me as infomercial type knives. They might be good, but c'mon that name.

I'm not taking my knives to work though. I care for my knives and don't want them to be exposed to this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

whos that broooown posted:

I'm not taking my knives to work though. I care for my knives and don't want them to be exposed to this bullshit.

If you ever let one out of your sight it will disappear and oops it went through the dish machine. Wow the wood on the handle looks really weird and hosed up I hope this didn't have any sentimental or monetary value to you. Also we sharpened it for you on the dollar store knife sharpener I bet it cuts real nice now

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
CutCo is 100% a pyramid scheme, but the knives actually are pretty loving good. They use a specific serration pattern that allows them to sharpened easily and cut better, and their customer service is very good. Buying a knife from them means you can send it in for sharpening or wear replacement for life.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

CutCo is 100% a pyramid scheme, but the knives actually are pretty loving good. They use a specific serration pattern that allows them to sharpened easily and cut better, and their customer service is very good. Buying a knife from them means you can send it in for sharpening or wear replacement for life.

They're okay, spines are way too thick. I have a couple from when my cousin sold them. Slowly, but surely, I'm taking off the excess every time I sharpen them. I rarely use the serrated one, but it's still sharp 10 years later.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Vector marketing is a garbage company that exploits desperate people and you don't need to be nice about them or anything they sell.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Aren't they monstrously over priced on top of the lovely sales practices?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Oh a 100%, I'm only commenting on the knives themselves as objects. I got roped into their scheme in my late teens, I know firsthand what they're about.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Good knives, bad company; I got my set when my roommate told his heroin dealer he could crash for a few days and somehow all his poo poo lived in our garage for 8 months after he left town and I picked it over before it went to the dump

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

now that i'm an office manager i still have responsibilities in the kitchen, like setting up the 3 new epson ticket printers for a switch to a new pos system Nov 1. Not only are these barely compatible with our ~10 year old bespoke pos, when putting in a support ticket with our vendor, it turns out that them what made the decision to switch companies didn't actually tell our current vendor that we were dropping them in a month. whoops

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Shabadu posted:

now that i'm an office manager i still have responsibilities in the kitchen, like setting up the 3 new epson ticket printers for a switch to a new pos system Nov 1. Not only are these barely compatible with our ~10 year old bespoke pos, when putting in a support ticket with our vendor, it turns out that them what made the decision to switch companies didn't actually tell our current vendor that we were dropping them in a month. whoops

"What, they didn't tell you? Sorry man that's real lovely of them." I've had to say some variation of that to so many vendors over the years.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm learning so much. We're a private club and we have a no tipping policy, but have instituted a flat 20% charge on dining checks to essentially tip pool both front and back. Now i'm hunting down the maitre d and the event manager for all the tickets that have "non member charge" instead of "F&B 20% service charge" after finding out the staff didn't get their new payout. Dont ask how changing 2 weeks worth of chits is going (it bad)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Oh a 100%, I'm only commenting on the knives themselves as objects. I got roped into their scheme in my late teens, I know firsthand what they're about.

Yeah they actually seem like pretty good knives, the funniest part to me is that I know they're a pyramid scheme because back when I was a GBS mod (and we were all younger) a good number of goons got suckered into selling them every summer like clockwork. :v:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

WITCHCRAFT posted:

If you ever let one out of your sight it will disappear and oops it went through the dish machine. Wow the wood on the handle looks really weird and hosed up I hope this didn't have any sentimental or monetary value to you. Also we sharpened it for you on the dollar store knife sharpener I bet it cuts real nice now
Once upon a time, I started bringing in a cheap but decent ceramic knife for cutting fruit behind the bar.

I left it behind once. Once.

Came back the next day, the tip was broken. It had been used to open a can of pinapple juice.

We had actual can openers! what the fuuuck

The General
Mar 4, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Yeah they actually seem like pretty good knives, the funniest part to me is that I know they're a pyramid scheme because back when I was a GBS mod (and we were all younger) a good number of goons got suckered into selling them every summer like clockwork. :v:

I was lucky, I know somebody who already did the whole song and dance, so when I showed up to a vague "Help Wanted!" ad, as soon as I saw Vector I turned around and left. Didn't even stay for whatever bullshit sales pitch they have.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Several of our student employees quit after their first week. They correctly sized up the situation and said, "gently caress this." We're well into fall quarter and still don't have anybody on the dish machine. Paper plates for absolutely everything. I'm doing two or three guys jobs. I can't quite tell if the boss is planning his exit. New manager hasn't even bothered to introduce himself, but this is the kind of place where a lot of people have been around for 20 years and know everybody, so whatever.

Time to press pizzas.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

the guy they hired to replace me last week has already no called twice and no showed yesterday so my absence is clearly being felt

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Shabadu posted:

the guy they hired to replace me last week has already no called twice and no showed yesterday so my absence is clearly being felt

No, the new guys absence is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The General posted:

No, the new guys absence is.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Animal-Mother posted:

Several of our student employees quit after their first week. They correctly sized up the situation and said, "gently caress this." We're well into fall quarter and still don't have anybody on the dish machine. Paper plates for absolutely everything. I'm doing two or three guys jobs. I can't quite tell if the boss is planning his exit. New manager hasn't even bothered to introduce himself, but this is the kind of place where a lot of people have been around for 20 years and know everybody, so whatever.

Time to press pizzas.

As someone in a similar situation (though I think a smaller college), tell me what it’s like to have a working dish machine these past few weeks?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Rugikiki posted:

As someone in a similar situation (though I think a smaller college), tell me what it’s like to have a working dish machine these past few weeks?
It works great! We just don't use it. Well, I guess the pots guy puts sheet pans through it.

But replacement parts are going to get harder to come by. People don't realize this poo poo isn't over, we're headed off a cliff.

I'm on my lunch break, this seagull thinks he's got a chance. No way, pal. And a bee thought about stinging me but was apparently discouraged.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Three more shifts. Three loving more.

I can't loving wait.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Time to press pizzas.

I've seen things you can't imagine. Orders dying on the window...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Animal-Mother posted:

Time to press pizzas.

My advice, jump ship.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Animal-Mother posted:

Time to press pizzas.

I vote Bail as well.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Rugikiki posted:

That sounds brutal, especially the really crusty stuff from the kitchen rather than plates from a table. Saute pans and sheets with carbonized soot that was once cheese or gravy are a bitch to scrape clean by hand. Especially when a strand of steel wool gets stuck under your fingernail and agh ugh oooauugh this is against the geneva convention

the brillo done a war crime on my hand, take him to the hague

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

iospace posted:

My advice, jump ship.

yes

when you see everyone else running for the life boats you should probably follow them even if you think the ship is unsinkable

Goast fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 27, 2021

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Especially when a strand of steel wool gets stuck under your fingernail and agh ugh oooauugh this is against the geneva convention

i starting wearing big rubber gloves when scrubbing rice pots from black to shiny because of this

those little metal fibers gently caress my soft baby hands up like nothing else

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Back when I was a dishwasher it was always the steel wool to start... then the forks smelled blood and my tender little water logged nail beds were like magnets to them.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

iospace posted:

My advice, jump ship.

All other ships appear to be sinking simultaneously. It's like the world is ending or something. I have some health issues to take care of and this gig offers a decent insurance plan that I can access in a few days. My immediate plan is to take care of that poo poo, assess the winter situation, and not work too hard until I can decide on a course of action. My partner will be finished with her PhD here in a year or two. Then we'll see where the academic jobs are, if society hasn't collapsed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ONE FINAL SHIFT, MOTHER FUCKERS

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

iospace posted:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

iospace posted:

:toot::woop::toot:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FREEDOM!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

iospace posted:

FREEDOM!

Yeah hey we had a callout tonight, one more shift?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nope.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I thought you were a team player :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Happiness Commando posted:

I thought you were a team player :(

Sorry bub, changed teams.

For real though, I asked if I could get health insurance, got told no, so welp, later

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
But they called you family? How could you walk out on family?!

Hope your feet and knees are finally gonna catch a break. I've heard you get used to them not hurting all the time after a while.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fizzymercury posted:

But they called you family? How could you walk out on family?!

Hope your feet and knees are finally gonna catch a break. I've heard you get used to them not hurting all the time after a while.

I gave them plenty notice :)

I'll still be on my feet though, but I'll be on my feet getting bennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Yeah hey we had a callout tonight, one more shift?

I had one job where I quit without notice and never answered a call or responded to a text from my former boss but he was shooting me texts like "hey we need a barback saturday" or "looking for extra kitchen staff for new years" almost 3 years after I quit.

It made me wonder how many people he has on a list for that. Just chum the waters and see if anyone will come crawling back for one day.