Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sebzilla posted:

That's a hell of a precedent to set

And yet, I don't completely disagree with it.
From the article, it seems as if the judge is arguing that comments made separately from your work shouldn't be held against you if they're not directly related to your work. Which is... fine?
The guy's obviously a bit of a dick, to say the least, but if I can fired from my job for making comments on here - as long as someone puts the effort in to doxx me - that is 110% a massive infringement on my freedom of speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/paulbIack/status/1452987736558870529

Also in the YOUTHS!!! :argh: against middle class estate. The Facebook has reached new heights of hilarity with the burning of some blue bins.

One resident has claimed we are being terrorised and compared it unironicaly to 911.

One has said they'll keep their 9 iron by the front door to give them a good kicking (???) and another is insisting they're taking the blue bins so they can get high off the smoke when they burn them.

It's loving comedy.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

TV License chat :

Things are getting weird. I haven't had a license for 10 years and don't watch TV or iPlayer. Like fuctifino I put in a fake name every two years.

The most recent automatic update of my Sony flatscreen automatically downloaded the iPlayer and BBC Sounds apps (I didn't have them before) and put them in the most prominent position on the selection hotbar.

I was sure stories like this were BS but it seems not :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/16/bbc-suggests-250000-fine-tv-manufacturers-fail-give-iplayer/

There's no actual way to remove the apps from the TV now, you can just prevent them from being shown. Not happy about it but Sony are just ignoring my support request.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Youths are burning bins full of rubbish to create a drug called Jimcan, named after prime minister James Callaghan who also left the bins out once which was worse than world wars 1, 2, and 3.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ah, the prequel to the best-selling How To Avoid Huge Shits

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

New UK sport, poo inhaling freestyle

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Putting aside the whole "rich white person demanding that everybody else suffers" thing for a moment, she's probably right.

There are enough people in the UK in poverty that for a large portion of the population, wartime-style rationing would lead to an increase in quality of diet

You realise rationing isn't free food right? You still gotta buy it you're just restricted in what you can buy.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BigHandsVince posted:

TV License chat :

Things are getting weird. I haven't had a license for 10 years and don't watch TV or iPlayer. Like fuctifino I put in a fake name every two years.

The most recent automatic update of my Sony flatscreen automatically downloaded the iPlayer and BBC Sounds apps (I didn't have them before) and put them in the most prominent position on the selection hotbar.

I was sure stories like this were BS but it seems not :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/16/bbc-suggests-250000-fine-tv-manufacturers-fail-give-iplayer/

There's no actual way to remove the apps from the TV now, you can just prevent them from being shown. Not happy about it but Sony are just ignoring my support request.

As far as I've heard while you need a TV license to make use of the iplayer, simply having it on your TV is not an offence in itself. It doesn't prove you use it, especially if you can't remove it.

I might be wrong about this, but don't you need an account to sign into the iplayer on a smart TV, anyway?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

On the TV license chat. I moved here 2 years ago and rang them up before any rude letters to tell them pre-emptively to gently caress off.

They then tried to tell me that I'd need a license to watch any live program including YouTube and Twitch. That lead to weird argument along the lines of Mr concrete grower further up the thread.

Last week I got an email asking me weirdly politely if I still didn't need one. Filled out an online form saying no thanks.

Hopefully they don't start the lovely letters again. That was a pain.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

And yet, I don't completely disagree with it.
From the article, it seems as if the judge is arguing that comments made separately from your work shouldn't be held against you if they're not directly related to your work. Which is... fine?
The guy's obviously a bit of a dick, to say the least, but if I can fired from my job for making comments on here - as long as someone puts the effort in to doxx me - that is 110% a massive infringement on my freedom of speech.

On the other hand, it is very very very very funny when fash get outed and lose their job. I suppose the real complication is if you're saying it in a way that easily ties you back to that employer - most people have their employer name in their FB profiles, which sort of makes it their problem if you start posting a Minion saying the 14 words.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

As far as I've heard while you need a TV license to make use of the iplayer, simply having it on your TV is not an offence in itself. It doesn't prove you use it, especially if you can't remove it.

I might be wrong about this, but don't you need an account to sign into the iplayer on a smart TV, anyway?

You do, which is (presumably) how they prove that you've been viewing stuff without a license.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You do, which is (presumably) how they prove that you've been viewing stuff without a license.

Meh I have an iplayer account registered in a fake name using a burner email. Works fine.

It never actually gets any use though, any TV I watch is either via Netflix or just torrented.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PhilipProudfoot/status/1452604636184170505

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
MY TAXES PAY FOR YOUR POO WATER

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

feedmegin posted:

You realise rationing isn't free food right? You still gotta buy it you're just restricted in what you can buy.

There's still* price controlling, otherwise the market would try to milk every last penny out of you because that's the only way to maximize profits and excuse me but it's not my fault if a single mom with five small kids can't afford any protein sources at these prices!

With price control you of course also get a very lucrative black market so the rich still get to live like kings. But at least there's a chance that the average working class can afford to live, somehow.

* as in there still should be, I have no doubt that Bojo would figure out a system that completely ignores everything learned from two world wars

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 26, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
how many bitcoins for some tomato ketchup?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Imagine trying to be Singapore and only getting the bit about drinking sewage.

Where are the HDB flats?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

WW2 and after rations remain the healthiest diet anyone has ever eaten in the British Isles. Low fat, high fibre, much higher proportion of seafood in the limited amount of protein that was available - it was so healthy that life expectancy actually *increased* in London despite, you know, the bombs and stuff.

It does look like torture though - for a week you got around 200g each of:

- bacon or ham
- other meat
- cheese
- butter
- sugar
- tea

You also got 1 egg (or 12 powdered), and could swap the meat rations for more eggs or cheese if you were a vegetarian.

(I did actually spend a week on the rations to help my niece with a project about WW2 and it's actually pretty tolerable, just extremely boring if you exclude the time you can spend learning to fart the national anthem)

If you've ever seen a typical 19th century workhouse diet, you'd be amazed that people survived without apparently ever ingesting any vitamins. It was plentiful but bland and nutritionally bankrupt. We're talking pints of tea, pints of porridge/gruel (depending on how watered down it was), and generally some combination of bread, meat and potatoes, with the occasional portion of peas thrown in. The only variety was that sometimes the meat and potatoes was solid, and sometimes it was a soup. Jam was a treat, but even that would have had most of the vitamins boiled out of the fruit.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Novara Media's youtube channel got deleted earlier, what the hell

It's back now, but slightly worrying that it could happen in the first place. No explanation or warning, and obviously they haven't done anything wrong. I'd like to think it was just some admin or algorithm gently caress up, but tinfoil hat on it's a bit questionable

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
even if rationing might be a good idea in theory in practice it's just going to be used as another stick to beat the poor with

remember what the Tories thought a reasonable week's worth of children's lunches looked like? that's the baseline they'll be setting

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I will be immensely displeased if all this Literal poo poo doesn't lead to a tabloid headline of "Poo Turn"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

A year or whatever into brexit and we've pretty much convinced ourselves rationing will be for the best.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

We should get it out of the way and just declare war on Germany again for real.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Declare war on Germany because Shitler is polluting are british beaches.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Well i've tried shocking the public into caring by telling them everything is bad forever better start eating dust idiots and they all told me to gently caress off and continued to buy bacon?? SIGH!!!!! Nothing matters.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
People are unenthused that Labour would manage the nation's inevitable decline slightly more competently than the Conservatives would? Clearly they're all anti-semitic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was under the impression that "labour against the witchhunt" actually were a bit iffy in that regard.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

If you've ever seen a typical 19th century workhouse diet, you'd be amazed that people survived without apparently ever ingesting any vitamins. It was plentiful but bland and nutritionally bankrupt. We're talking pints of tea, pints of porridge/gruel (depending on how watered down it was), and generally some combination of bread, meat and potatoes, with the occasional portion of peas thrown in. The only variety was that sometimes the meat and potatoes was solid, and sometimes it was a soup. Jam was a treat, but even that would have had most of the vitamins boiled out of the fruit.

Well the thing was of course that they *didn't* survive. Rickets was endemic in the working class, even outside the workhouses, and famously the first years of the Industrial Revolution, as people moved to the new cities, saw a bigger increase in mortality than anything since the Black Death, with scurvy and other deficiencies killing far more kids than looms ever managed. It was just a happy mistake that the diet of the poor shifted from pulses to potatoes which are a poor, but viable, source of vitamin C and calcium meaning people could at least long enough to die of cholera because they were pouring poo poo into the water sources.

Wait... the Tories are just cargo-culting the Industrial Revolution, aren't they?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I was under the impression that "labour against the witchhunt" actually were a bit iffy in that regard.

I get some seriously hosed vibes from them (based purely on Twitter) but I've not seen them cross the line even if they *really* like to tapdance along it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

They are, but the guy clearly referenced a specific event, and if we imagine that he could easily prove he spends a lot of time talking about Zionist collaborators, then it is easy to argue he's being sacked for antizionism, which is not even slightly ok. It is a good ruling

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Pork Lift posted:

The Tories realising that we made a major mistake at the end of WW2 and stopped the Germans from being able to get properly aggro again. We had the French as dance partners for centuries and then we went and put the Germans on ice within 50 years and replaced them with the Russians. That was never going to bloody work was it, they are too far away.

Without someone to go to war with every now and then we're just going to slowly subside.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure, much as I enjoy watching the fash trip over they own dick into getting sacked it probably is grudgingly necessary to look at it that way.

Mostly I was just pointing out that he might actually be a bit of a poo poo in that respect, even if this specific instance is not legally enforcable as such.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If we did get rationing it wouldn't be like the war, it'd be a private company selling boxes that are 'supposed' to last the week but contain 2 bananas and a loaf of bread while they pocket the change for shareholders.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

not like the glorious war and the no war profiteering

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
We shall fight on the poo beaches, we shall fight on the poo grounds, we shall fight in the poo filled fields and in the poo streets,
we shall fight in the poo hills; we shall never surrender our poo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

we're already surrendering freely into the sea and being invaded by it from holland

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait... the Tories are just cargo-culting the Industrial Revolution, aren't they?

Rees Mogg is loving the poor sanitation and disease, pollution, ecological collapse, enclosures, lack of affordable housing, malnutrition, poverty and so on. But what he'd really like is if this time do it without the actual industry and economic growth.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pork Lift posted:

If we’re really lucky we’ll lose this time and the Germans can become stewards of Hell Island

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Nenonen posted:

Ah, the prequel to the best-selling How To Avoid Huge Shits

I appreciated this reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Flayer posted:

The Tories realising that we made a major mistake at the end of WW2 and stopped the Germans from being able to get properly aggro again. We had the French as dance partners for centuries and then we went and put the Germans on ice within 50 years and replaced them with the Russians. That was never going to bloody work was it, they are too far away.

Without someone to go to war with every now and then we're just going to slowly subside.

The real error was letting the empire wither away. It used to be so that you could send all the dim-witted aristocratic sons to fail in some heathen lands, not able to cause many scandals big enough to be heard of at home. Now though? Those same types make up the front bench of the parliament. I suppose getting shot by the Boche serves the same purpose, the difference is if white or brown people will suffer as collateral damage.