Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

paul_soccer12 posted:

Subarus are very ftw

Cross trek, impreza, all excellent

too bad they don't make a station wagon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

any car is a mountain car with proper tires, unless it's some old busted piece of poo poo without enough torque to drive uphill. i would still rather take a bus

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

sat on my keys! posted:

NYC DOT is trying to make two streets in Brooklyn (7th & 8th Avenues, which together see more than 500 injuries per year) safer by making them one way, adding PBLs, and removing parking. However, local small business owners and the incoming DSA-endorsed city councilperson are not having it:

https://twitter.com/alexaforcouncil/status/1450824668999557121

lmao

https://twitter.com/alexaforcouncil/status/1450824670719221769

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
bike lanes = racism. i love that rose emoji

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Big truck owners are the most pathetic types of people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mila kunis posted:

bike lanes = racism. i love that rose emoji

There was a bike sharing program they were trying (and maybe did?) get started in NYC and some old lady went on there and went ballistic and I think literally compared it to the holocaust.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

christ

gently caress off!!!!!!!!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

There was a bike sharing program they were trying (and maybe did?) get started in NYC and some old lady went on there and went ballistic and I think literally compared it to the holocaust.

also this seems to be the street in question:

https://twitter.com/JarekFA/status/1450191034449813517

it feels like making it one way, removing parking, expanding sidewalks and adding protected bike lanes would massively improve safety and the feel of the area and drive more foot traffic. im not sure why this pro car moron is DSA endorsed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh yes you do

It's cuz it's the DSA lol

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

imagine having a rose emoji and still giving a gently caress about what small business owners think or say
tell them to eat poo poo!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

anyone who’s ever tried to organize with a DSA understands why intuitively

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

my 20 tweet thread about how i totally support safe streets BUT is raising a lot of questions already answered by my 20 tweet thread

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can still drive on one-way streets. At worst you might have to drive for another minute if you're coming from the wrong direction.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
lol incredible

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
this is cool though

https://twitter.com/yfreemark/status/1451209772544499716

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol at the multiple hulking trucks and SUVs in this video

you are in new york city!!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

HAVE YOU EVEN HEARD OF UPSTATE

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol at the multiple hulking trucks and SUVs in this video

you are in new york city!!!

You need it to prove to your bros that you aren't a pussy.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

it is very funny how frequently i see big pickup trucks with a few 2x4s or bits of plywood hanging out the end of the bed like some sort of mea culpa for owning such a pointless thing. everybody knows you got the new tacoma because it looks kind of like the warthog from halo, you dont need to sully what little dignity you had left by leaving ten bucks worth of home depot lumber rattling around in the back all week

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Google "truck won't fit in garage" lol

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Ou là........ ça y est :biglips:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gently caress if I had been born in France I could have grown up to be a burly cargo-hauling bicyclist

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

mila kunis posted:

it feels like making it one way, removing parking, expanding sidewalks and adding protected bike lanes would massively improve safety and the feel of the area and drive more foot traffic. im not sure why this pro car moron is DSA endorsed

I actively avoid roads like this when I have to drive, what kinda braindead moron willingly immerses themselves into this poo poo

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Losing my mind here. Every time a popular business opens near our busy downtown, people complain because "it's going to generate traffic."

OK, to repeat that: People don't want convenient grocery stores and good restaurants because they imagine they will slow down their driving. They don't see this as a car problem. They see having too many good things in an area as a bad thing. They want amenities spread out across town to "keep traffic down." Sprawl, the very thing that drives traffic. This is why people are upset that there's going to be a grocery store within walking distance of thousands of people who would otherwise have to drive across town. gently caress

uuuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nitevision posted:

Small business owners in my city fight against reclaiming any street space from cars or parking because they believe the bulk of their business is from the 3 suburbanites parking directly in front of their shop rather than the 5,000 people walking over from their apartments in the same neighborhood, who would definitely spend more time there if it weren't loud as gently caress and dangerous. The American mindset is not salvageable

https://www.cambridgeday.com/2021/10/22/our-economy-requires-cars-and-parking-is-vital-for-cambridges-struggling-small-businesses/

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
those cool little Fiats would be fun to drive, but American roads and the absolute monstrous size of American cars make them pretty unfeasible. my cousin in Sicily loved being able to not have to worry about huge death trucks and SUVS all the time and he could drive around his tiny lil' car, but also everything was way more walkable as well.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Leesteffy Jenkins owns of Violette Bakers, a gluten-free bakery near Porter Square.

Lmao

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Leesteffy Jenkins posted:

I want a City Council made up of people who are forward thinking, who truly care about reducing our carbon footprint and who don’t fall prey to single-issue politics. I would rather the council use taxpayer dollars to develop a comprehensive carbon footprint calculator, building on the simple ones built to address the carbon footprint of driving, trash and flying.

[...]

An older person who drives to their local shop could have a far smaller carbon footprint than a cyclist. Why? Because older people tend to buy fewer consumer goods.

[...]

It’s not as if the City Council is unaware that the pandemic drove most small businesses to the brink, but what they have given in aid to small businesses, including women- and Black-owned businesses, they are taking away with the removal of parking. That is not good governance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tvlIcQ5VT0

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

some cities in europe have started installing noise cameras to catch illegally loud vehicles. This is a great idea imo - there should be city wide volume limits on all private vehicles at much lower than current levels (helicopters very much included)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cars, despite disproportionately killing and injuring minorities both locally and globally, are antiracist

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

pointsofdata posted:

some cities in europe have started installing noise cameras to catch illegally loud vehicles. This is a great idea imo - there should be city wide volume limits on all private vehicles at much lower than current levels (helicopters very much included)

but can somebody think about the oppressed people who believes their driving skills are proportional to their fart can noises

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Big truck owners are the most pathetic types of people.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Twitter removes those "Tesla ai is bad at driving" videos.

That video, showing the differences of not having any cars around, is way more dangerous.
It should be post that video under every tesla tweet like a middle finger.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 07:49 on Oct 27, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Getting rid of cars and Obama‘a deregulation of methane..sorry fracking, wouldn’t solve climate change, but it could give mankind a fighting chance.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mila kunis posted:

incredible that she calls teh petty bourg small business owners "working people" dsa is so goddamn useless

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

incredible that she calls teh petty bourg small business owners "working people" dsa is so goddamn useless

I would say quite the opposite, they are doing their job as intended.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/nolemonnomelon/status/1453072195882782734?s=21

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Start kicking mirrors off cars in the bike lane. A car will just cream you for being in the road its only fair.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

idgi isn't there stupid good money in towing all those illegaly parked shitheads?
like $250 a piece minimum?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Harik posted:

idgi isn't there stupid good money in towing all those illegaly parked shitheads?
like $250 a piece minimum?

1. many of them are cops or friends/family of cops
2. the NYPD is actively hostile to the concept of bike infrastructure and on principle refuses to do any enforcement to keep cars off it
3. NYC DOT refuses to build bike infrastructure that is physically impossible to park on (this video wouldn't exist if they just put down some loving jersey barriers and bollards)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

sat on my keys! posted:

1. many of them are cops or friends/family of cops

So towing their vehicles is a win-win because gently caress cops.

so much money to be made