Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think he meant they gave every child the present only telling them it had been for good behaviour.

I think my fairly bougie school in eastern europe did more or less the same thing one time with similar funds.

It was some lovely monopoly knockoff boardgame, admittedly with a left-wing message (it's about surviving as a single mum on minimum wage/benefits and dealing with emergencies, avoiding money sharks and the like).

I don't think anyone ever played it.

e: We did have 3 kids from moderately deprived families who would benefit a lot more. Relatively deprived anyway, I did say the school was bougie - one was from a very religious family that ran a family tree farm that barely broken even, another was a single mum working as an accountant with 3 daughters and the last one was a family of 5 with a police officer and social worker; so not exactly struggling to put food on the table, but couldn't afford what the other kids had.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Hello UK thread. My newsfeed lately tells me that apparently all over the country people are surreptitiously injecting young women with ketamine at nightclubs. Is this true? It seems utterly impossible (the mechanics of intramuscular injections, the nature the drugs, etc) but a lot of people on twitter are so insistant, I just thought I'd ask. Is there any reason to be concerned and possibly purchase some sort of armour?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What, like, a full suit of armour?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Pretty embarrassing if you're being serious and really don't have even an old family suit of armour lying around you can just use.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Spiking of drinks is rife, especially around freshers week(s), administering with a needle seems unlikely to me and has a whiff of the 'razorblades in Halloween candy'/'gang of clowns in a transit van' about it.

Like I'm sure these women were probably spiked, or at least given more alcohol than they thought they were consuming, but no-one is going around with a needle shooting Ket into them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crespolini posted:

Hello UK thread. My newsfeed lately tells me that apparently all over the country people are surreptitiously injecting young women with ketamine at nightclubs. Is this true? It seems utterly impossible (the mechanics of intramuscular injections, the nature the drugs, etc) but a lot of people on twitter are so insistant, I just thought I'd ask. Is there any reason to be concerned and possibly purchase some sort of armour?

It was discussed a couple of days ago, I think the general consensus is that it is hard to see how someone could be injected without realizing at the time to give the noted effect without killing the person in the process. But it is possible they were spiked in some other way and misidentified an existing skin abrasion as an injection after the fact?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Good chance it's being made up by the cops to take the heat off them being the rapists, though wouldn't be surprised if they're the ones doing it, or gave rapists the idea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's probably a mix of all the vaccine paranoia going around combined with the real fear of public attacks on women and then some copycat attacks with needles or other spiking implements as a result of everyone passing around all the continually one-upping moral panic versions.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If people were being stealthily injected with drugs by random attackers via needle on any sort of scale there would be many resulting deaths from overdosing. It does seem unlikely. An individual could certainly be targeted in this way though.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. I’ve had a couple of suggestions to see if we can do it through the local food banks so I might try that. I’ll ignore the fact that two villages with a combined population under 3,000 need a food bank each.

The reason I’ve gone through the schools previously is they generally just know when families need some support. For comparison, last year the school in the next village over divvied it up between six families and privately invited the parents in one by one to order a load of poo poo from Amazon, one of the teachers volunteered to do it with them. A guy I know who’s wife died of covid and is permanently flat broke beamed as he told me and various dads how he managed to “sort out” a scooter for his lad for Xmas (as said lad zoomed round and round us on said scooter) and I think that was probably part of it.

At the school I went to, in a village a few miles away, the head called me and said they had a family where mum is working two jobs, dad is disabled, two kids and they’d had to take in three non-sibling cousins following multiple deaths in the family. The head (unnecessarily) asked permission to give them almost the full amount and again, worked with the mum to order everything from turkey to tree, presents, decorations, even a small chest freezer to keep everything in and a trip out to see Santa at some local event thing.

In both cases the schools told the parents they had access to a local charity fund, and left it at that. None of the kids or other parents knew anything about it, and all the gifts were from the parents (or Santa) to the kids and that’s as far as anyone needed to know. I hope that clarifies why I was a bit aggreived with the “everyone gets a book” thing. I am somewhat specific in what I donate for, but the schools are always welcome to decline and I make that clear when I write to them. No-one has ever declined and generally the head or a deputy facilitate it and enjoy doing so. It breaks my loving heart to think of a kid with literally nothing to play with on Christmas Day, just a single box of Playmobil or something can make all the difference and “everyone got a book in assembly on December 15th” just doesn’t cut it. I’ve also just realised this is the only time ever someone has come back to us and said “more please”!

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 27, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Sanford posted:

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. I’ve had a couple of suggestions to see if we can do it through the local food banks so I might try that. I’ll ignore the fact that two villages with a combined population under 3,000 need a food bank each.

The reason I’ve gone through the schools previously is they generally just know when families need some support. For comparison, last year the school in the next village over divvied it up between six families and privately invited the parents in one by one to order a load of poo poo from Amazon, one of the teachers volunteered to do it with them. A guy I know who’s wife died of covid and is permanently flat broke beamed as he told me and various dads how he managed to “sort out” a scooter for his lad for Xmas (as said lad zoomed round and round us on said scooter) and I think that was probably part of it.

At the school I went to, in a village a few miles away, the head called me and said they had a family where mum is working two jobs, dad is disabled, two kids and they’d had to take in three non-sibling cousins following multiple deaths in the family. The head (unnecessarily) asked to give them almost the full amount and again, worked with the mum to order everything from turkey to tree, presents, decorations, even a small chest freezer to keep everything in and a trip out to see Santa at some local event thing.

In both cases the schools told the parents they had access to a local charity fund, and left it at that. None of the kids or other parents knew anything about it, and all the gifts were from the parents (or Santa) to the kids and that’s as far as anyone needed to know. I hope that clarifies why I was a bit aggrieved with the “everyone gets a book” thing. I am somewhat specific in what I donate for, but the schools are always welcome to decline and I make that clear when I write to them. No-one has ever declined and generally the head or a deputy facilitate it and enjoy doing so. It breaks my loving heart to think of a kid with literally nothing to play with on Christmas Day, just a single box of Playmobil or something can make all the difference and “everyone got a book in assembly on December 15th” just doesn’t cut it. I’ve also just realised this is the only time ever someone has come back to us and said “more please”!

Yer your way is the better one and the book school hosed up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

goddamnedtwisto what's your thoughts on London

It's okay I suppose, never really thought about it.

Incidentally please keep an eye out for my 97 part podcast detailing the boundary changes enforced by the 1964 Local Government Act.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Nenonen posted:

The short term goal is to limit her temperature rise to 1.5 C but the medium term goal is to lower the temperature by at least 20 degrees.

:five:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nenonen posted:

The short term goal is to limit her temperature rise to 1.5 C but the medium term goal is to lower the temperature by at least 20 degrees.

Lmao

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sanford posted:

Need some advice on a bit of a moral dilemma. Friends have been a bit “well, gently caress ‘em” and I’m hoping the thread has a more balanced view. This reads as a bit of a humblebrag so please start any replies by saying how great I am, then probably come back to it at the end and say it again.

The Dilemma

We live in a pretty poor area. Every year my wife and I coordinate with a couple of local schools (generally different each year) to make sure that kids that would have literally gently caress all on Christmas Day have got a couple of presents to open, some decent grub, whatever. The only ‘rules’ we impose are in asking the school to help identify kids who need it, and for the school to work with the parents so any gifts come from them not the school or us randos.

Last year one of the schools wrote to say thanks and they were going to buy a book for every kid in the school. I went back and said books are great, and sharing equally is great, but if you remember our conversation that’s not quite what we were going for. The head seemed to understand but then shortly after Christmas I found out the school did use the donation to buy all the kids a book, as a gift from the school, and linked it back to good behaviour at some event they’d held earlier in the year.

Now the same school have reached out and asked if we’d like to make a Christmas donation again. Don’t wanna! Loads of other schools in the area who’d be happy for such a donation. But (1) when you donate money, it’s not yours any more, and you shouldn’t put limits on what the recipient does with it, and (2) the piss-poor kids I see walking past my window in the morning will still at least be getting something.

Any advice please?

I work for a small charity and we receive all manner of donations from individuals, trusts etc.. Some donations from some sources are defined as 'restricted' and have to go to a specific project, and other donations are 'unrestricted'. Restricted and unrestricted are official charity commission terms. I've not been there long enough to fully appreciate the requirements! I don't know if state schools are charities and donations received need to be treated in the same way?

My only concern about using foodbanks etc as sources of information is that there is a whole raft of people who are marginally above needing / or able to access this sort of assistance but are struggling very hard.

Anecdote: I'm thinking of a single-parent relative whose front room used to look like Hamleys Toy Shop on Christmas because of all the donations she used to get from charities and so forth and the kids so overwhelmed with presents they didn't know what to play with first and would have mega-tantrums. And no, she wouldn't put some away for another day 'they're his/her toys why shouldn't he have them all at once' attitude. She had a neighbour whose husband worked a very low paid job (this was before NMW) and the mother was blind in one eye and didn't work outside the home, but their income was just a tiny bit too high for any state assistance for housing, rates or whatever, and they had very 'poor' christmasses. My relative did have the grace to say she was very embarrassed by how much her kids got compared to how much her neighbours got.

Not sure this is much help to you!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It might be worth looking around to see if there's some sort of independent charity or group in your area. In my town, there's a community cafe that is run by an amazing local person, and there's a lot of charitable help that filters through her cafe. I'm pretty certain that amazing people like her exist in every town and city in the UK.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

:unsmith:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

fuctifino posted:

It might be worth looking around to see if there's some sort of independent charity or group in your area. In my town, there's a community cafe that is run by an amazing local person, and there's a lot of charitable help that filters through her cafe. I'm pretty certain that amazing people like her exist in every town and city in the UK.

You know what we’ve done this for half a decade with schools all over the area and I’m letting one bad experience spoil it for us. It was a bit more money last year (redundo bucks to spare) but we just need to stick with how we’ve always done it. I think I can live with myself if I “ghost” a school; it’s Halloween so it’s appropriate…

Edit: QUEEN DEAD YES/NO has just become the decider for who’s buying the beer on New Year’s Eve. Philip let me down last year so I’ve taken ALIVE. If she dies while we’re out the loser has to reimburse the winner.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 27, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Starmer has Coronavirus

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1453316080919879680?t=1mQwwNp7VMPtom0fVW6qcA

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't he have it before?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Pretty embarrassing if you're being serious and really don't have even an old family suit of armour lying around you can just use.

The family armour is battered enough, without me subjecting it to further clubbing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cov Ed Redemption

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Ed rattling Alexander there

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't he have it before?

I think he isolated a few times after being in contact with positive people.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Total Meatlove posted:

you've got to more specific, London as in within the M25 or London as in the historic boroughs?

I want to know more about the rotten boroughs myself

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I believe it would be wrong at this time of crisis to oppose treating Keith's COVID while left-wing elements still run rampant in the Labour Party.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

That convivial, fraternal spirit strikes again. Don't see Angela "Tory scum" Rayner with covid, do you?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
ed proving the real way to stand up to a bully is to sock him in the nose

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doccykins posted:

ed proving the real way to stand up to a bully is to sock him in the nose

Please let this be not metaphor

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

I want to know more about the rotten boroughs myself

Eh, Hackney's not that bad even if it is an ahistoric mess.

(Rotten boroughs were never a London thing, they're mostly a result of industrial revolution expansion of historically small villages)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lady Gaza posted:

I think he isolated a few times after being in contact with positive people.

sounds like his leadership style, yeah

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/holnicoteNH/status/1452962051211636746

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
finally, some positive news from keith.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

sounds like his leadership style, yeah

lmao

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

haha been asked to write a memorial article for liz focused on how it will affect next seasons of The Crown (as in the netflix show)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Necrothatcher posted:

haha been asked to write a memorial article for liz focused on how it will affect next seasons of The Crown (as in the netflix show)

"It won't"?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jedit posted:

"It won't"?

any chance you could rephrase that in 300-400 words?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently this is the fifth time Keith has had COVID?! At least one of those times must have been an excuse for something else.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

any chance you could rephrase that in 300-400 words?

Can't just copy and past that 150-200 times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He can't use Havana Syndrome